PDA

View Full Version : Lunardi talks about FSU and GU

CenturionNole23
03-16-2010, 07:48 PM
He has a breakdown on every team in the field, with what GU and FSU needs to do to win. He of course picks FSU to win only because of their defense.

FSU:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4998253&categoryid=4999992

Gonzaga:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4998258&categoryid=4999992

It is interesting considering Lonardi seems to be the only one who knows what he is talking about and seems to be the only "expert" picking FSU to win.

Saxon_zag
03-16-2010, 07:53 PM
He has a breakdown on every team in the field, with what GU and FSU needs to do to win. He of course picks FSU to win only because of their defense.

FSU:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4998253&categoryid=4999992

Gonzaga:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4998258&categoryid=4999992

It is interesting considering Lonardi seems to be the only one who knows what he is talking about and seems to be the only "expert" picking FSU to win.

Lol :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Doomed...

To be honest I think we could lose a close one if we come out cold but if we come out like we have in our good performances and like I know we can. With bouldin, gray, harris, sacre hitting we could blow this team out of the water.

CenturionNole23
03-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Lol :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Doomed...

To be honest I think we could lose a close one if we come out cold but if we come out like we have in our good performances and like I know we can. With bouldin, gray, harris, sacre hitting we could blow this team out of the water.Same can be said about FSU. We played really good against Marquette, UNC, VT etc. We shot over 50% in those games. Every game we have been below for the most part and barely won, our defense held tough to help us win.

Saxon_zag
03-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Same can be said about FSU. We played really good against Marquette, UNC, VT etc. We shot over 50% in those games. Every game we have been below for the most part and barely won, our defense held tough to help us win.

Yeah true anyone can have a good game at any given time you never know. I just like the zags chances with a leader like bouldin and what we have seen this team be able to do at certain points. FSU is going to struggle to score against gonzaga if the offense is as bad as even some noles fans admit too. Zags have a problem with quickness and sharpshooters, not size.

CenturionNole23
03-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Yeah true anyone can have a good game at any given time you never know. I just like the zags chances with a leader like bouldin and what we have seen this team be able to do at certain points. FSU is going to struggle to score against gonzaga if the offense is as bad as even some noles fans admit too. Zags have a problem with quickness and sharpshooters, not size.We arent ranked 109 in the country in offense for nothing :(

You never know with this team. If they are really psyched up they play really well, but than again everyone thought FSU would be hyped up to play NC State (who beat us at home) and we came out bad in that game the second time too.

skan72
03-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Same can be said about FSU. We played really good against Marquette, UNC, VT etc. We shot over 50% in those games. Every game we have been below for the most part and barely won, our defense held tough to help us win.

UNC? You're using that game as an example? We played well against Michigan St. unfortunately lost. Beat Wisconsin by 13 - a 4 seed.

VT didn't make it, and Marquette is a 6...I don't quite understand the comparisons.

Democratic Nole
03-16-2010, 08:49 PM
UNC? You're using that game as an example? We played well against Michigan St. unfortunately lost. Beat Wisconsin by 13 - a 4 seed.

VT didn't make it, and Marquette is a 6...I don't quite understand the comparisons.

We have two common opponents: Wake Forest and Duke. The results:

Wake Forest 77, @ Gonzaga 75
@ Florida State 51, Wake Forest 47

Duke 76, Gonzaga 51 (neutral site)
@ Duke 70, Florida State 56

You lost to both by margins of 2 and 35, we beat one by 4 and lost to one by 14. I know you guys think you beat WF if not for the provoked ejection by cheap skate McFarland.

These two teams are very evenly matched and I suspect Friday's game will be very close.

skan72
03-16-2010, 08:58 PM
We have two common opponents: Wake Forest and Duke. The results:

Wake Forest 77, @ Gonzaga 75
@ Florida State 51, Wake Forest 47

Duke 76, Gonzaga 51 (neutral site)
@ Duke 70, Florida State 56

You lost to both by margins of 2 and 35, we beat one by 4 and lost to one by 14. I know you guys think you beat WF if not for the provoked ejection by cheap skate McFarland.

These two teams are very evenly matched and I suspect Friday's game will be very close.

That's fair enough. I expect us to win. But I should, I'm a Zag.

rawkmandale
03-16-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm going to agree with the "close" prediction. I can't see this as more than 4 points either way.

MJ777
03-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Advantage Zags due to their experience of playing at away venues and at Neutral sites. Zags would have beaten WF if not for the ejection of Harris.

But it is March and any Madness can occur. Did anyone see the ending of AZ St and Jacksonville? Many ASU fans sat stunned for minutes after the buzzer beater and that was just an NIT game. I think I saw one dude crying. It was a great 27 foot bankshot to win it; very Ammo like.

Zagatak
03-16-2010, 10:29 PM
I saw that game.... Insane shot by JU!

MickMick
03-17-2010, 03:44 AM
They keep throwing that Wake Forest game in there.

1) Zags had a nine point lead when Harris was ejected half way through the game. That is like any good team losing one of their three best players. Look at the talk over in Syracuse this week.

2) Checking the Wake message boards after the game, their fans were thrilled with their outside shooting. Their best perimeter shooting of the season to date. Some thought they had a real possibility to take the ACC if one of their freshman continued to hit from the outside like that. It was considered a real weakness for them going in.

3) Zags made a furious comeback and damn near pulled the game out. It was the game where Kong finally got some meaningful minutes. The new comers were finally getting more than a token appearance.

4) What did FSU beat them by? 4 points?

5) Aminu struggled. Zags played very good defense against him. Ish Smith (extremely quick) penetrating and outside shooting by a couple of bench players won the game for them. Zags struggle sometimes with penetrating speed demons. Does FSU have one? Didn't think so.

6) Of all the games the Zags lost, it was the one game where the opposing team didn't look better while winning it (except for the shock the team went through for about 5 minutes after Harris was ejected). That includes USF and LMU.

If anything, the Wake game leads me to believe the Zags have a great chance to win this. Proudly declaring "we beat Wake" means nothing to me.

skan72
03-17-2010, 08:44 AM

1) Zags had a nine point lead when Harris was ejected half way through the game. That is like any good team losing one of their three best players. Look at the talk over in Syracuse this week.

2) Checking the Wake message boards after the game, their fans were thrilled with their outside shooting. Their best perimeter shooting of the season to date. Some thought they had a real possibility to take the ACC if one of their freshman continued to hit from the outside like that. It was considered a real weakness for them going in.

3) Zags made a furious comeback and damn near pulled the game out. It was the game where Kong finally got some meaningful minutes. The new comers were finally getting more than a token appearance.

5) Aminu struggled. Zags played very good defense against him. Ish Smith (extremely quick) penetrating and outside shooting by a couple of bench players won the game for them. Zags struggle sometimes with penetrating speed demons. Does FSU have one? Didn't think so.

6) Of all the games the Zags lost, it was the one game where the opposing team didn't look better while winning it (except for the shock the team went through for about 5 minutes after Harris was ejected). That includes USF and LMU.

If anything, the Wake game leads me to believe the Zags have a great chance to win this. Proudly declaring "we beat Wake" means nothing to me.

Well said.

SeminoleUprising
03-17-2010, 09:47 AM

A little sensitive there MickMick. I don't think most Nole fans are overconfident about this one, and certainly not based on the Wake games. As for "throwing Wake in there," we really don't have a lot of information to base comparisons on. What we do have are two common opponents, one (Duke) we both lost to (but we didn't get beat quite as badly), and the other one (Wake) we both played at home and we barely beat and you barely lost to. If anything the performances against these two common opponents would favor FSU but we are obviously talking about a very limited sample there and there is not much to distinguish between the two teams anyways.

(BTW, any Wake fans who posted on message boards that they thought they had a real shot to win the ACC was delusional. But that's how message boards are, chock full of homers. Proudly declaring "we only lost to Wake because we had a player ejected" means nothing to me, I'd rather be proud of actually having beaten them).

When we win, we win ugly. When we lose, we lose ugly. We're a defensive team and that's just how defensive-oriented basketball looks. This game is probably an even and fair match given both teams' performances on the year. We are a non-power team out of a power conference that had a pretty decent but not spectacular season. You guys are a power team out of a non-power conference that had a pretty decent but not spectacular season. And those kinds of teams get bunched together in the first round on the 8/9 and 7/10 lines. If you don't have a fantastic season (top flight SoS with only a handful of losses), you've got to play someone good in the first round so here we find both our squads, both bemoaning we got a bad draw and have to play a very good team out of the gate, but there a few "good draws" in this Tournament outside the very top seeds.

It should be fun to watch the contrast in styles, to see which one wins out. Both teams appear to be somewhat streaky (both are young), and if one decides they just want to turn it on on Friday, that team will likely find themselves still playing by Sunday.

It looks like a coin flip to me. The winner likely won't be better by more than a possession or two than the loser, and I suspect that fans of both schools are going to be biting a few fingernails as this one looks every bit like a down-to-the-wire nailbiter.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd pick the Zags 64-59. I tilt in your guys' favor based on Few's experience and Tournament success vis a vis Hamilton not really being a great game coach (but he has a 100% graduation rate, something we Noles are very proud of). I also worry about our lack of (or at best streaky) offense. I just think you guys will hit enough jumpers to stay just out of our reach. But on the flip side, you will be up against a defense that is about as good as any in the country. If only our pedestrian offense were just a little bit better, coupled with our furious defense, we could make some noise. As it is, Gonzaga will have to deal with not only a big team, but a surprisingly athletic one as well given the Noles' size. And even if the ACC wasn't as good as it normally is this year, it's still a league where there are absolutely no nights off. Every game is a war in the ACC, and our guys are battle-tested.

Have fun on Friday and may the best team win. (And whoever that is, let's all cheer on the winner to upset the 'Cuse in the second round.)