PDA

View Full Version : Bud Withers Article...For Gonzaga, trips to the NCAA tournament are more about....

TR11Zag
03-16-2010, 07:03 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2011360920_withers17.html

Make sure to vote in the poll that we will go further.

Go Zags.

Nevtelen
03-16-2010, 07:14 PM
"In the world of big-time college sports, good is never enough," wrote Jeff Pearlman of SI.com in a recent piece unrelated to Gonzaga. "Winning is never enough. If you went 23-5, you should have gone 24-4. If you reached the regionals, well, you should have reached the finals.

"There's always a need to jump to a larger conference; to recruit a higher caliber of player; to "take that next step" even if happiness seems to reign as is."

I think that's often true around here (and I'm certainly guilty of it, no question). Good article. I also agree with Few that I thought this might be the season we miss the NCAAs. VERY glad that is not the case, no matter what happens on Friday.

BTW, as to who will go farther - I voted the Zags, but, honestly, I'd much rather have the Huskies' draw. I think it's much easier than ours, which is kind of screwed up, honestly, but what can you do?

Reborn
03-16-2010, 07:37 PM
The Huskies will not beat Marquette. Zags will beat Florida St. I would rather play Florida St then Marquette. The Huskies will not have a chance to win in the 2nd round. We will. The edge goes to Zags. The Zags will show we are once again better than the UW.

Nevtelen
03-16-2010, 09:07 PM
The Huskies will not beat Marquette. Zags will beat Florida St. I would rather play Florida St then Marquette. The Huskies will not have a chance to win in the 2nd round. We will. The edge goes to Zags. The Zags will show we are once again better than the UW.

I think UW's game is a coin-flip, honestly. Marquette has a very bad 2-pt% D IIRC (I looked up a LOT of stats today while filling out my bracket, I could be misremembering) which is one of the things UW does reasonable well and not much of an inside presence which is another thing that will kill UW. That plays to UW's strengths. I agree that Marquette is probably the better team, but either could win that one, esp in California.

I'd take Marquette for that exact reason, too - we shoot lights out from 2 (usually) and our frontcourt would destroy the Eagles'. I also think the Zags would have a much much easier time in round 2 of that bracket and even in the Sw 16 (though still not easy - just easier).

23dpg
03-16-2010, 09:19 PM

IF we beat FSU, we would likely play Syracuse, not Marquette.:)