PDA

View Full Version : Predict the Ducks NEW head coach...

mdZag23
03-16-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm going with Steve Alford

LynetteG
03-16-2010, 07:36 PM
the dude with the initials (CJ?)

ZagLawGrad
03-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Phil Knight

omahazag
03-16-2010, 07:48 PM
I'll say Turgeon, but think they should go with Steve Lavin (yep, i said it).

btw, Iowa is in the process of looking for a new coach...go ahead and predict that one while your at it....my boss, an Iowa alum, is hoping they steal Bruce Pearl who - a former Iowa assistant at Iowa. Doubt it

Birddog
03-16-2010, 08:32 PM
I'd go after Krystowiak (sp?). I think you can get him for a reasonable amount of $, provided he hasn't already accepted the BSU job. Alford would be nuts to leave UNM.

RenoZag
03-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Randy Bennett

ZaginLaw
03-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Carlesimo.

No way Alford goes to Oregon. That position isn't a destination, nor a stepping stone, it's a dead end job as history has shown. Kent has the highest winning percentage of any coach in Oregon's history.

Tmac5360
03-16-2010, 09:29 PM
I think Randy Bennett would be the best choice. I really hope he doesn't go though. The zags need him in the conference for the conference's overall strength.

theman.themyth.thelegend
03-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Can't decide b/w Cameron Dollar or John Calipari. A better value with the former and a diamond in the rough with the latter. Either way, you're getting one h$ll of a good guy for a Head Coach.

adoptedzag
03-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Mark Few.

*ducks and runs for cover from the rotten tomatoes*
:lmao:

rawkmandale
03-16-2010, 10:55 PM
If Knight really steps up - John Calipari. He'd sell out - for certain.

SWZag
03-17-2010, 05:33 AM
Throwing out a prediction...

UTEP's Tony Barbee. Young coach who's really improved UTEP's program in three short years.

SWZag

Zagpower
03-17-2010, 06:05 AM
I've noticed the big names previously mentioned have disappeared off the current list being bandied about.

Never could figure out why a Jay Wright or Jamie Dixon would be interested in the job.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-17-2010, 06:19 AM
If Knight really steps up - John Calipari. He'd sell out - for certain.

Perhaps, but I think Phil Knight would rather leave Calipari in Kentucky to hawk shoes via all the McD's All-Americans that go through that program. Kentucky is a premier Nike basketball team.

If Phil Knight is going to fund the hiring of the next Oregon basketball coach, I suspect that he would pick somebody who is not already modeling shoes for him. There just aren't many top-tier college coaches who are not already at Nike schools. Nike already owns UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan State, Gonzaga, Kentucky, UCONN, Memphis, Georgetown... He'd have to snag Bill Self from Kansas or Ben Howland from UCLA to land somebody who isn't on his payroll.

My guess is that he'll take somebody out of an announcer's booth, bring in an NBA coach, or elevate either an assistant coach at a premier program.

CDC84
03-17-2010, 08:31 AM
Tony Barbee is very much the kind of guy that Oregon is likely going to land.

When looking at all of the names being thrown about, remember what Bud Withers said in his column. They aren't going to pay more than football coach Chip Kelly gets, because Oregon is a football school. That means less than 2 mil per year, because Kelly earns less than 2 mil per year. I'm talking salary. That eliminates just about every "celebrity" candidate you can think of.

mgadfly
03-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Perhaps, but I think Phil Knight would rather leave Calipari in Kentucky to hawk shoes via all the McD's All-Americans that go through that program. Kentucky is a premier Nike basketball team.

If Phil Knight is going to fund the hiring of the next Oregon basketball coach, I suspect that he would pick somebody who is not already modeling shoes for him. There just aren't many top-tier college coaches who are not already at Nike schools. Nike already owns UNC, Duke, Syracuse, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan State, Gonzaga, Kentucky, UCONN, Memphis, Georgetown... He'd have to snag Bill Self from Kansas or Ben Howland from UCLA to land somebody who isn't on his payroll.

My guess is that he'll take somebody out of an announcer's booth, bring in an NBA coach, or elevate either an assistant coach at a premier program.

I agree except that I think he will continue to own those schools even if he takes their head coaches away from the program. If he takes Cal from Kentucky, the replacement will be a Nike guy too (and maybe a new one).

So I'd keep all those coaches on the possible list.

Why would a coach want to come to Oregon?

Besides it is a beautiful area of the country with a lot going for it, many coaches at smaller schools believe their success is limited by a lack of quality facilities or budgets to hire good assistants or chase down good recruits. Oregon is going to offer someone a dream situation: no budgetary restrictions, brand new facilities. And most coaches, in order to be successful in the first place, have developed healthy egos that will make them believe they can turn the program around (especially in a relatively weak Pac-10).

cbbfanatic
03-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Carlesimo.

No way Alford goes to Oregon. That position isn't a destination, nor a stepping stone, it's a dead end job as history has shown. Kent has the highest winning percentage of any coach in Oregon's history.

1) Carlesimo would be a disaster. Seton Hall was 20 yrs ago

2) You are selling oregon way short. Ask yourself this (rhetorically - I don't need the education on Fitz), what kind of "job" or destination was gonzaga before Monson, few, grier, rice, lloyd? What kind of program was it? Certainly not a power of any sort. Oregon just needs the right guy, and they have ALL the competitive advantages to become a serious power given the right leadership - they have commitment from the admin and boosters, great facility, nike and worldwide wes recruiting connection, a power conference that is very "takeable," good regional talentbase with relatively little competition, just great resources in general - in addition to fringe stuff like a beautiful location and easy lifestyle.

I think Oregon is in this to make a splash, and I don't think they will fail to deliver. Objectively, this is a potentially great job, and as much as I usually dislike this phrase and often ridicule some Rutgers fan friends of mine that use it, Oregon really is a "sleeping giant"

LongIslandZagFan
03-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Without a doubt, I think that UO is going to swing for the fences... I don't see them taking an up and comer like the guy from UTEP. My guess would be Randy Bennett who is a bit more established or they'll go for a big name like Carlisemo or Alford. They could get PJ but I am not sure they could get Alford. I think Lavin would be a great choice, but I think he likes his current gig quite a bit. Dark horse might be someone like Lon Kruger with the way he has New Mexico going.

KennewickZag
03-17-2010, 09:21 AM
All signs point to PJ being the guy after Few says NO.

IMO, PJ would be a great option for the Ducks. He has had college success in the past and his NBA experience gives him the link to the pros that may be important to some high level recruits.

bartruff1
03-17-2010, 09:32 AM
I will be very surprised if it isn't Few...even amazed.....

BobZag
03-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Daffy or Donald or Howard. It's a toss up.

The Oregon Spike
03-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Johnny Dawkins

cbbfanatic
03-17-2010, 04:13 PM
just saw a rumor (6.5 out of 10 on trustworthiness) that oregon is prepared to offer billy donovan 5mil per year for 5 yrs. that would meet their "make a big splash" criteria.

have a hard time seeing it though, donovan seems like much more of an eastern guy. but hey, that kind of money doesnt just talk, it screams

75Zag
03-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Oregon AD is talking about having a new coach in place by the beginning of Oregon's spring quarter, which is 12 days from today. Obviously if the candidate is coaching a team that is still playing ball in the NCAAs (or NIT), the candidate won't be announced until the end of his current team's season.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/03/oregon_basketball_some_faqs_ab.html

Lot's of gossip but either Oregon has not yet located a replacement or they are doing a fantastic job of keeping it a secret.

PS - I don't think Randy Bennett is the kind of "fill the seats" guy that Phil Knight and the Oregon AD have been talking about. He may or may not be a good coach, but I can't see skeptical Oregon alumni shelling out big bucks to see a coach from a "lower tier" league. Would you pay New York Broadway prices to watch an actor they brought up from the Detroit Civic Players? Most people would not. Everybody wants to see a superstar.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

primal23
03-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Man if Oregon nabs RB they get one heck of a coach.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-17-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm available... just throwin' it out there, and if you don't like it, then send it right on back.

Kiddwell
03-17-2010, 07:17 PM
(1) PJ Carlesimo
(2) Dick Vitale
(3) Kiddwell's faithful dog "Towzer"

kitzbuel
03-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Jay Bilas

snebzag
03-17-2010, 08:32 PM
If you are out of work, might be an OK job. If you have a job, don't consider it. Football program is full of thugs, busted, busted, suspended. You might get two or three years of pay and nothing for your resume. This job sucks. It makes me laugh when people say Mark Few, although none have on this thread. Mark Few-coach Gonzaga or go clean toliets at Geiger Correctional facility. Same choice as the Oregon job. Just more pay in a rainy city with higher rent.

I really don't care who takes this crappy job. Pac-10. Cougs beat-em next year.

cbbfanatic
03-18-2010, 08:06 AM
If you are out of work, might be an OK job. If you have a job, don't consider it. Football program is full of thugs, busted, busted, suspended. You might get two or three years of pay and nothing for your resume. This job sucks. It makes me laugh when people say Mark Few, although none have on this thread. Mark Few-coach Gonzaga or go clean toliets at Geiger Correctional facility. Same choice as the Oregon job. Just more pay in a rainy city with higher rent.

I really don't care who takes this crappy job. Pac-10. Cougs beat-em next year.

delusional post

oregon is ready, willing and ABLE to commit huge resources to this program. it is a job with GREAT potential. very high ceiling for the ducks if they get the right guy in there to run this program. if you do not think that money and committment can buy you collegiate success, you are kidding yourself. Oregon has both, and they are hungry.

i dislike the ducks as much as the next guy, but lets be reasonable people.

bartruff1
03-18-2010, 08:27 AM
delusional post

oregon is ready, willing and ABLE to commit huge resources to this program. it is a job with GREAT potential. very high ceiling for the ducks if they get the right guy in there to run this program. if you do not think that money and committment can buy you collegiate success, you are kidding yourself. Oregon has both, and they are hungry.

i dislike the ducks as much as the next guy, but lets be reasonable people. I couldn't agree more...a perfect situation...when you start near the bottom the upside is gravy...you will get everything you need to succeed...Like LIZ says they will swing for the fences and I can't believe they will take a chance on some NBA coach or some promising young coach or assistant or some television talking head...they will get a proven product...this is no time to take a chance...

dawgfather11
03-18-2010, 09:50 AM
some of you guys are in fantasy land. This should mean alot coming from a UW guys but UO job is a HUGE Job and has more potential than all but a handful of places. UO has so many advantages it's not even funny. They already have most likely the best work out and practice facilities in the country. Brand new top of the line basketball arena opens next year. Unlimited funding thanks to Nike. Huge recruiting advantage with the owner of Nike basically running the program. Look it might take a couple years but UO has "scary" potential due to Nike. UO if they get the right coach could easily within a couple years become the top program in the west.

That being said I hope they hire few who would be exposed for the fraud he is :)

hockeyzag
03-18-2010, 09:55 AM
dawgfather, you are a huge D0uche, that is all.

titopoet
03-18-2010, 10:25 AM
In a big surprise, John Calipari after leading the Sleaze-cats to the National Championship.

Coach Cal shocks the Big Blue faithful, saying the the ducks is where he always wanted to coach. After he leaves, Kentucky is the first team to have to vacate a national championship when both Wall and Cousins are shown to not know how to read. Coach Cal, of course, knew nothing of this and is cleared to land his biggest recruiting class led by Kobe and Lebron (Since they never played College ball, the NCAA allows them only for one season)

MedZag
03-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Even Canzano is coming around to reality...

Mark Few might be the sexiest name out there in the eyes of a lot of Ducks fans, but those close to the Gonzaga coach say his personality is extremely conservative and that they just can't see him giving up the security and status he has in Spokane to take on a rebuilding project in Eugene. Yes, even with a new arena. Yes, even with the Nike support. Still, if you're the Ducks, you take a stab, yeah?
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2010/03/canzano_blog_freddie_jones_int.html

ZaginLaw
03-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Oregon has already thrown a lot of money around both in FB and Hoops. It's been on the cusp for years. The position is NOT a huge job or a job with potential - other than being an average P10 team with the occasional shot at the P10 title.

Which is easier for a recruit - to fly into Sea/Tac or to fly, er I mean drive to Eugene. Oregon can't use the Nike jet to fly recruits in anymore...

We'll be saying the same thing 10 or 20 years ago how Oregon is on the cusp and a great opportunity...

GUZagDenver
03-18-2010, 12:48 PM
dawgfather, you are a huge D0uche, that is all.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Colbyspapa
03-18-2010, 01:43 PM
PJ Carlisimo, Tubby Smith, Jay Wright.

maynard g krebs
03-18-2010, 03:20 PM
CDC is correct on this. Maximum UO will pay is $1 less than whatever Chip Kelly gets. 5 mil for Donovan? LMAO.

Ducks should offer Randy Bennett. Unless SMC invests in its program like GU has, you'd think he'll take a higher profile job at some point.

omahazag
03-18-2010, 05:18 PM
CDC is correct on this. Maximum UO will pay is $1 less than whatever Chip Kelly gets. 5 mil for Donovan? LMAO.

Ducks should offer Randy Bennett. Unless SMC invests in its program like GU has, you'd think he'll take a higher profile job at some point.

I just don't believe money will be an issue for Oregon. The ducks will get a high profile coach, not a Randy Bennett type.

Hell, they pulled Coach Horton from Cal State Fullerton to start up their baseball program - he left one of the better programs in the nation for a reason.

Bulldog
03-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Pac 10 teams don't need coaches, they need lawyers that can also coach.

Butler Guy
03-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Just a note: Nike wouldn't look kindly (or support) targeting Calipari. UK is an absolute cash cow for Nike, the company isn't going to look kindly on an action that would almost certainly cause UK to change their sponsorship.

RenoZag
03-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Mike Brey should be available soon.

MJ777
03-18-2010, 05:58 PM
One more win by SMC and it will be Randy Bennett.

Angelo Roncalli
03-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Pac 10 teams don't need coaches, they need lawyers that can also coach.

Lawyers? Not so sure. Bail bondsmen? Yep.

snebzag
03-18-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm really am not delusional. Opinionated yes! Angelo says "bailbondsman" Bulldog says "Lawyers" Dawgfather says "Huge Job" This job is not UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Huge? No. Pac-10 team, didn't make the NIT. Trouble all around. Eugene Oregon? Of course there is huge NIKE money to throw around. I just don't see that as the answer to end all. Money. Zags have built a great program without huge NIKE money and with promoting an assistant coach to head coach. I stand by my thoughts that this Oregon job is a no win situation for a big name guy. Why would a big name guy want this job? Why? Money. Again, three years of cash and no resume. I admit I am a Duck hater. Arrogant lot they are. Cheeky bunch I must say. I am not delusional, just don't take my medication daily as I should.

ZagAddict
03-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Randy Bennett...

mgadfly
03-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Oregon has already thrown a lot of money around both in FB and Hoops. It's been on the cusp for years. The position is NOT a huge job or a job with potential - other than being an average P10 team with the occasional shot at the P10 title.

Which is easier for a recruit - to fly into Sea/Tac or to fly, er I mean drive to Eugene. Oregon can't use the Nike jet to fly recruits in anymore...

We'll be saying the same thing 10 or 20 years ago how Oregon is on the cusp and a great opportunity...

The recruiting visits to Oregon in the mid-90's were legendary. The guys at the all-state football game back then couldn't stop talking about being picked up at the airport in the Oregon Hummer and driven to campus. Can they still pick them up at the airport?

maynard g krebs
03-18-2010, 10:43 PM
I just don't believe money will be an issue for Oregon. The ducks will get a high profile coach, not a Randy Bennett type.

Hell, they pulled Coach Horton from Cal State Fullerton to start up their baseball program - he left one of the better programs in the nation for a reason.

Re: Bennett, I said "should", not "will". It's my opinion that Bennett is a great coach.

Horton gets 400K, and that's the doing of former AD and big booster Kilkenny, the force behind behind the resurrection of baseball.

Educk has some informative threads on who the Ducks might be able to get. It sounds like someone like Alford or Drew would be about as high profile as they would go. They spend a lot on facilities, but have a track record of paying pretty typical salaries, nothing close to what the top FB andBB coaches get.

sittingon50
03-19-2010, 05:43 AM
I'm guessin' Tony LaRussa. Plus the PETA folks in Eugene would endorse him.

omahazag
03-19-2010, 07:34 AM
Re: Bennett, I said "should", not "will". It's my opinion that Bennett is a great coach.

Horton gets 400K, and that's the doing of former AD and big booster Kilkenny, the force behind behind the resurrection of baseball.

Educk has some informative threads on who the Ducks might be able to get. It sounds like someone like Alford or Drew would be about as high profile as they would go. They spend a lot on facilities, but have a track record of paying pretty typical salaries, nothing close to what the top FB andBB coaches get.

Maynard, it's my opinion they'll go after a high profile coach. And yes, i noticed you said "should" - so defensive. I think Bennett's a good coach.

Enough duck speculation, Zags gameday!

75Zag
03-19-2010, 09:37 AM
An interesting factoid, to me anyway:

GU receives more money from Nike than any other BB college program in the country which is not affiliated with a major (BCS) D1 football program. I know there are not a lot of high profile BB schools without a major football program, but I was still comforted by that information. My source is a face-to-face conversation with a highly placed Nike guy, but since this is annonymous blog, feel free to take it or leave it.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!