PDA

View Full Version : Personnel Curiosity

SWZag
03-16-2010, 06:08 PM
I know that the response to my question will be speculation and opinions, but I want to hear what others think. Will Foster get little or a lot of playing time against FSU and their big.

This is a game where an opposing team has a player with size (height (http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/alabi_solomon00.html)), unlike a majority of our opponents this year. He is also one of their best players. Are we going to see a lot of Foster to get this guy out of his comfort zone as being normally the tallest player on the court? This FSU center has probably never been guarded by someone taller than himself.

I'd love to see Foster get good playing time, IMO.

SWZag

mdZag23
03-16-2010, 06:30 PM
he gets quite a bit of playing time. I think Sacre is going to get early fouls and we will be forced to have Will play a lot of minutes.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Big Wil gets into game early whether to spell Sacre a few minutes or relieve him from early foul trouble. FSU's leading scorers are all frontcourt players so, yeah, I'd bet Wil is given an opportunity to help shut them down. How many minutes depends on effectiveness and foul trouble.

Ditto for KO re: spelling Harris @ the 4.

Guessing Bol's minutes come at the 3.....Zags will need Big Wil and Kelly O' to fill in at the 4/5. FSU too big and tough for Kong to play at the 4...where I think he has gotten some time in the past.

Hoping Demetri wreaks havoc on FSU's turnover prone backcourt while getting Zags running at every opportunity. Easiest way to score against a great defensive team is transition. I am also looking forward to key stretches of game with this lineup:
Bouldin / Gray / Kong / Harris / Sacre

fedwayzag
03-16-2010, 07:33 PM
I see Will playing as much and probably more then he has this season. I think he can be a key player. Giving Alabi something to think about when he looks up at Will. I said on another post, I would actually like to see Rob and Will in at the same time. Helps tremendously with matchups 1-5. Still having the ability to push the ball and score easy baskets.

Jedster
03-16-2010, 07:43 PM
I think having 3 players 6'11" + will be something that FSU hasn't seen this year. KO will spent a lot of his time in for Elias, but he can also fill in for Rob and Will. It will be interesting to see how Alabi handles this. I would consistently go at him at both ends to try to get him in foul trouble. No rest for him. Yes, he may get some blocks, but if we can keep the pressure on him like Samhan, hopefully he will fade as the game goes on. I am also interested to see how KO's game matches up with Alabi. KO definitely has the skills of someone much smaller, so this could be a good opportunity.

I also think if Will is in the game, that is when we'll also see more of Kong. With Meech and Will on the floor at the same time that will make it even harder for us to score on these guys than it already will be!

skan72
03-16-2010, 08:40 PM
I don't want to point fingers, but a lot of you said, during the summer, that Will was going to start contributing in a much bigger way this season. He hasn't, and I always maintained he wouldn't. I've seen him in scrimmages, I've seen him in practise. I don't think he will get much time against FSU. Sorry, I'm not bashing him, he's 7'5" and he's a great fella. Fact is, he's not that good at basketball, his playing time isn't suddenly going to leap for one of the more important games of the year. Coaches generally do not do that.

theman.themyth.thelegend
03-16-2010, 10:09 PM
I'd love to see the same Will Foster we saw in the Memphis game. Played aggressive, executed the pick n' roll to perfection, protected the rim, and was having fun...

RenoZag
03-16-2010, 10:34 PM
If Will the Whiffer is getting big minutes, we are effing doomed.

theman.themyth.thelegend
03-16-2010, 10:39 PM
If Will the Whiffer is getting big minutes, we are effing doomed.

On the same token, if Will the Warrior is getting serious minutes, we are effing going to win!

SWZag
03-16-2010, 11:58 PM
On the same token, if Will the Warrior is getting serious minutes, we are effing going to win!

+10

Hoopaholic
03-17-2010, 07:18 AM
Big Will needs to make sure he doesnt pick up silly fouls as he could be a key to this game.

You will see FSU front court being pounded by Rob and Will and then see KO finesse them by extending FSU frontcourt to come out and play d

I would not be shocked to see Rob (or WILL), KO and Harris, Bouldin, Gray on the court at same time as that will create serious defensive issues for FSU and will provide for a stingy, long match up zone when we are on defense

webspinnre
03-17-2010, 08:26 AM
The games Will doesn't play in are where the other team runs up and down the floor like crazy, or has a bunch of guys who who can blow by him. This seems to be a decent opportunity for him to get minutes, as he'll be dealing with other big guys. The downside is that the other big guys are probably stronger than him. Still, I'm guessing ~10-12 minutes from him.

FlyZag
03-17-2010, 08:41 AM
I think we can look to Duke for an answer to your question. They have a taller bench player in Zoubek (7'-1"). He fouled out in that game in only 13 minutes. He averages 17.8 mins and 3 fouls per game. The FSU Bigs are very good and we will need all we have to throw at them. I'm guessing we will use all of Foster and Sacre's fouls in this game. So your answer is, he will play as long as he still has fouls to give.

Bogozags
03-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Over the past ten or so games, I have noticed Will has gotten significantly more minutes in the first half then he did at the beginning and middle of the season. I also noticed that Coach Few subs out Rob at about the 16 minute mark and then Will comes in and plays for about three - four minutes and then goes and sits. I think, since will is so darn big, it is difficult for him to run up and down that floor for more than that many minutes, he just gets tired and Coach Few pulls him. Sometimes he gets pulled earlier, if he gets two quick fouls. I also notice that Coach Few doesn't always play him in the second half of games whether we are winning or if the game is tight. Not sure I understand but am sure there is a reason as I can't believe he just forgets to use him.

I believe he will get significant minutes as with Rob and Will they have eight fouls to give before we lose one. I like Will coming in at the 16 minute mark and giving Rob a break...keeps Rob sharper and more focused on what he needs to do and it keeps him fresher for the second half.

Against FSU Will gets significant minutes for two reasons: (1) he frustrates FSU or (2) Rob has two fouls early in the first half and/or picks up his third really early in the second half. Me, I hope for the former and if he can get a bucket or two or even a rebound or more, then he will have been effective.

I would love for him not give the baseline away and keep his hands up on the perimeter. If he would do these two things, then that would put so much more pressure on their offense. I know this is easier said than done as I have a hard time remembering to keep my right elbow in on my back swing...

GO ZAGS!

rijman
03-17-2010, 08:56 AM
I think Will's minutes will be dictated by Sacre's fouls. I don't think Few wants to use Will anymore than he has to in this big game. Will gets fouled and he can't be counted on to make a FT. He also doesn't rebound as well as I would expect, he doesn't move to the ball. On the plus side, Will can block/alter shots and he leads the team in running over opposing players, so he has that going for him, which is nice.

I am a Will Foster fan, I just hope we don't need too much PT from him against FSU.

Jedster
03-17-2010, 09:18 AM
One nice aspect of us having so many tall players on the front court is that they practice against each other every day. Rob see's a 7'5" player opposite him most days, so I don't think the height will be a huge issue for Rob. Throw in KO and they see plenty of tall players in practice. Now I'm sure Alabi has more athleticism in his little toe than Will does in his entire body, but I think the height issue on the front court is one GU has seen a lot of. It has also been beneficial for our front court to play against Omar. Regardless of what we think of him as a person, he is a very talented big man and we faced him 3 times this season.

SWZag
03-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Speaking of Foster, an Withers article from the Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2011367907_gonzaga18.html).

SWZag

Edit 1: Edited to update link from a map of Yokohama, JP to the real article! Pasted wrong link.

Edit 2: Sorry someone already posted.

willandi
03-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Will sets the best screens of any of our bigs. He can free up Matt and Stephen for outside shots, and roll to the hoop, if their big doesn't release, ala Memphis.