PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga will win and here's why

HOOTER
03-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Forget all the doom and gloom. Ignore the naysayers. Our bigs will dominate the paint. Our guards will run circles around theirs. We'll dictate the tempo early and never give FSU the chance to establish their gameplan. Our coaching is superior. The boys want this bad and that desire will be evident in this game.

And last but not least, we'll win 'cause HOOTER said so! :D

Democratic Nole
03-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Forget all the doom and gloom. Ignore the naysayers. Our bigs will dominate the paint. Our guards will run circles around theirs. We'll dictate the tempo early and never give FSU the chance to establish their gameplan. Our coaching is superior. The boys want this bad and that desire will be evident in this game.

And last but not least, we'll win 'cause HOOTER said so! :D

--Your bigs will not dominate the point. Trevor Booker is the only post player to have much success against us and his max was 19 points. We held Aminu at Wake Forest scoreless, held Favors and Lawal of GA Tech to 4,5,8,10 points in two games, and held Jeff Allen of VA Tech to 3 points. Chris Singleton was the ACC defensive player of the year and both he and our center Alabi made the all-ACC defensive team.

--Your guards could do well or they could not. Derwin Kitchen and Michael Snaer are both good defenders when they want to be, but have occasional lapses.

--I doubt you will dictate tempo. We manage to drag even the good teams down into the muck, pathetic style of basketball that we tend to play.

--Your coaching is superior. Mark Few will run circles around Leonard Hamilton. This isn't even up for debate.

--Your boys will want to win, but so will ours. We have played well after losses this year and one every time with one exception. Both teams seem to have a case of jekyll and hide. It will be interesting to see how both perform.

HOOTER
03-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Both teams seem to have a case of jekyll and hide. It will be interesting to see how both perform.

Thanks for the response Nole. Frankly, no one really know what will happen, but I've gotta throw some positivity out there to help balance out all of the negativity. Still, I think we've got a good shot at winning this one. Our bigs may not accumulate double digit scores but I think we've got an edge on rebounding and Foster's about as tall as an ancient redwood. He's a bit sloppy but just about impossible to score on at times. Our backcourt can be inconsistent but their defense should be solid and if guys like Gray and Bouldin start raining down threes, lookout. Tempo may be where y'all have an edge. If we get bogged down in a defensive struggle who knows what can happen. If that happens it could go down to the wire and I'm not sure how good our chances would be. We have pulled out some games like that so it's nothing new though. If we somehow are able to establish an up-tempo, fast paced game we could runaway with it. All in all, I'd have to agree with your statement above. It really just depends on which teams show up.

Head to Head (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/headToHeadTeamResults?statsId1=213&statsId2=233&gameId=201003190233)

Democratic Nole
03-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the response Nole. Frankly, no one really know what will happen, but I've gotta throw some positivity out there to help balance out all of the negativity. Still, I think we've got a good shot at winning this one. Our bigs may not accumulate double digit scores but I think we've got an edge on rebounding and Foster's about as tall as an ancient redwood. He's a bit sloppy but just about impossible to score on at times. Our backcourt can be inconsistent but their defense should be solid and if guys like Gray and Bouldin start raining down threes, lookout. Tempo may be where y'all have an edge. If we get bogged down in a defensive struggle who knows what can happen. If that happens it could go down to the wire and I'm not sure how good our chances would be. We have pulled out some games like that so it's nothing new though. If we somehow are able to establish an up-tempo, fast paced game we could runaway with it. All in all, I'd have to agree with your statement above. It really just depends on which teams show up.

Head to Head (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/headToHeadTeamResults?statsId1=213&statsId2=233&gameId=201003190233)

These boards ironically are a lot like ours. Lots of people think we will win and lots think we will lose and no one is sure how either team will play. All I know is that Gus Johnson is calling the game and that pretty much guarantees it will be close.

webspinnre
03-16-2010, 06:17 PM
The one thing I'd be surprised is if we dominate the paint. Noles have one of the best frontcourts defensively in the NCAA. The good news is we have some quality guards to run at them. The keys are going to be shooting percentage and turnovers. If we can shoot well and turn them over, we'll be just fine. If we get bogged down in a half-court struggle and can't hit shots or get turnovers, we've got serious problems.

skan72
03-16-2010, 08:49 PM
I expect big things from Big Bobby. I really think, he wins his match-up, we win the game, plain and simple. Look at all the good games Rob has had this year. We win. He plays badly, we lose. He's one of the main reasons we were close to beating Mich. St. I know everyone else is saying it's the Harris-Singleton match-up or how Bouldin does or Gray. I think if Bobby performs, say 15 and 7-9 rebounds, you can chalk up a W for the Zags

NYCZAG
03-16-2010, 09:04 PM
It's cool to have fans of other teams come on here and be smart and courteous -I just want to watch a good game-I am scared to go because every game I have gone to in NY to see the ZAGS play they lose-Last year I didn't go to any games and they won-HAHA-I am going to Buffalo but maybe just maybe I will stay home-

Zagatak
03-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Please stay home.

skan72
03-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Please stay home.

+1

I know we all say we have no effect on the game; however, you seem to. Stay home, watch it on TV.

lothar98zag
03-16-2010, 10:49 PM
+1

I know we all say we have no effect on the game; however, you seem to. Stay home, watch it on TV.
lol

if u can afford it, go. your luck will change eventually. woohoo's luck wasn't good for quite a while. it was all good this year....

HOOTER
03-16-2010, 11:33 PM
if u can afford it, go.

Yeah, go if you can. If you do, wear your Zags gear and make a bunch of noise for the boys. They can use all the support they can get.

Ezag
03-16-2010, 11:46 PM
I doubt we will dominate in the paint. For one, Sacre has rarely dominated any team even against small teams this season. I am sure Bouldin and Gray will hold their own but lack of offense from Meech and not knowing what will happen with Harris will indeed make this an interesting game.

It does depend on which Gonzaga team shows up. The team that won the Maui Invitational would win this game hands down. However, the team of the past 10 games would lose this game.

The Maui team seemed have much more heart and chemistry for some reason.

Birddog
03-17-2010, 05:16 AM
However, the team of the past 10 games would lose this game.

Not too sure about that. I get your drift, but in the last 10 games the Zags beat Memphis 66-58 @ Mem, SMC 80-61 for Woohoo, Pepp 72-54 @ Pepp, SCU 88-51 @ home, LMU 77-62 in Vegas. Go back 11 games and it includes a 76-49 drumming of Port.

To win this and any additional games this season, the Zags need to focus and play with intensity. Everybody always says they need to play hard. To hell with that, playing hard is not enough. Playing with intensity and playing smart will win some more games. Some of that playing smart has to come from the staff with game planning and bench coaching. They've done it before.

HOOTER
03-17-2010, 07:32 AM
I doubt we will dominate in the paint. For one, Sacre has rarely dominated any team even against small teams this season.

I'm holding out hope that Sacre has a solid performance, Foster disrupts their inside game, and Harris will be back to his old self. I guess it's wishful thinking, but maybe the motivation created by losing the conference tourney and the excitement of being in the big dance will get these guys back to where they were early in the season. We'll see I suppose.

TexasZagFan
03-17-2010, 07:44 AM
lol

if u can afford it, go. your luck will change eventually. woohoo's luck wasn't good for quite a while. it was all good this year....

I felt the same way after going to The Pit and they lost to Wyoming. The odds are with you...make the trip if you can afford it.

If there's one lesson I've learned in life, it's to be unafraid to swing the bat. Sure, you'll strike out, but you'll never get a hit if you don't swing.

GonzagaSwagga
03-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Sacre has rarely dominated any team even against small teams this season.
This is true for most of the season, but Sacre dominated Samhan in Vegas, and seemed to be one of the only Zags on the floor who had any interest in playing basketball that day.

He has the tools and the genes. If he shows up with an effort resembling his last one then I think we're in good shape. Whoever wants it more will win. I just hope Matt's feeling better.

Hoopaholic
03-17-2010, 07:54 AM
GU has only scored less than 70 points 4 times all season, going 2-2

Wins against Memphis and SD and loss against SMC and LMU

Couple that offensive power with FSU propensity to turn ball over (which creates transition points) will be the key for GU success..keep the tempo up at all cost......

defensively I think you will see some half court trapping and match up zones to try and keep the tempo up and at a faster "pace" than allowing a grind out offensive set for FSU

last ten games Meech has turned ball over TOTAL of 11 times with assists of 20, Bouldin has 22 turnovers over last 10 games but I do not see that being an issue come tournament time.....

Offensively we will need to make sure we are passing and moving at all times, no feet in concrete which is when we seem to struggle

We should be rested, remerged to healthy status and be ready to play

GU by 9

GUinSTL
03-17-2010, 08:24 AM
FSU fans may be sitting at home going, "Oh NOOooos!! The Zags always score 70ppg, and that spells CURTAINS for us. How on Earth will we shut them down?"

There are 2 mindsets coaches/players can take headed into a game, I think, and I always wonder which one wins out:
1. "How do we stop these guys?"
2. "How do we BEAT these guys?"

I prefer the latter. And I hope the boys come with that attitude tomorrow.

~B

gamagin
03-17-2010, 08:39 AM
It's cool to havNYCZAG, I am scared to go because every game I have gone to in NY to see the ZAGS play they lose-Last year I didn't go to any games and they won-HAHA-I am going to Buffalo but maybe just maybe I will stay home-

how much do you want for your ticket ?

NYCZAG
03-17-2010, 09:16 AM
I am going-I went to see the DUKE game this year great seats awful game-I am taking train up with friend-My suggestion is not to buy scalped tickets up in Buffalo a lot of fakes going around my friend in NYC told me-Bite the bullet and go through stubhub-

BobZag
03-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Glad you're going for it, NY. Be loud, be proud. :)

With Alabi and other long, tall Seminoles inside, I'm thinking if Matt or Steven or Meech or anyone for that matter who drives inside, they might consider going for the jam because those finesse layups could be sent into the cheap seats everytime. By going straight for the jam, you almost force a foul. I just don't think layups are gonna go with those long swatters inside.

lothar98zag
03-17-2010, 09:34 AM
I am going-I went to see the DUKE game this year great seats awful game-I am taking train up with friend-My suggestion is not to buy scalped tickets up in Buffalo a lot of fakes going around my friend in NYC told me-Bite the bullet and go through stubhub-
Did you try calling GU?

I question if they were able to sell all their tickets.

BobZag
03-17-2010, 09:43 AM
509-313-6000 for ticket info.

NYCZAG
03-17-2010, 10:10 AM
The main tickets at GU are sold out the Alumni are a different story ;)-Time for reverse the curse baby-

SeminoleUprising
03-17-2010, 10:11 AM
One of the great things about the NCAA Tournament is that it matches together schools that wouldn’t ordinarily play one another, and their fanbases too. Turns out that most Zags and Noles fans seem to be pretty cool. I have a habit of rooting for teams we’ve played in past Bowl/Tournament games, however those games happened to turn out, the following seasons. We are bitter rivals in football with Florida and Miami and of course we always love to beat those Tar Heels, Blue Devils and Terrapins on the hardwood (not that wins against those guys happen too often). It’s nice to have a one-and-done with another school from across the country and it doesn’t have to be personal.

This game is so 50/50 it’s not even funny. Zags and Noles fans going around in circles trying to solve the riddle. The two teams are a good even match and both probably deserve to be on the 8/9, 7/10 lines given their seasons. So you’re going to just have to suck it up and play a good team in the first round if you fail to land one of those very top seeds. Neither of us likes this draw. We both had good seasons and our first round reward is a team that can absolutely beat you if you don’t show up to play your very best. Alas, it’s an elite tournament for the best teams, it’s going to be hard.

We are similar in a few regards. We’re both young and talented. Consequently, we’re both inconsistent and streaky. Gonzaga and FSU on their best days can run with anyone. Both are coming off disappointing conference tournaments and you have to think both are very hungry to erase that bad taste. Who will be hungrier? We’ll find out Friday.

I’m picking the Zags in a close game, 64-59. I think of all the keys to this game if you had to hone in on one it would be how well do the Zags hit their jump shots. If you guys hit ‘em, we’re toast. We simply cannot score enough to keep up. If you guys have an off shooting night—and believe me, our boys will do everything in their power to harass your shooters—then I think our tight defense and penchant for winning close ones may carry the day for Tallahassee. It’s your offense vs. our defense. But then again, to the extent that’s a stalemate, and it very well may be, how well your less-heralded defense and our much-maligned offense play against each other will go a long way in deciding the outcome. You guys have become a pedigree program, I can’t believe we drew you for the first round, and don’t consider it a favor by the Selection Committee by any stretch. And you guys have to be scratching your heads that your reward for earning the right to wear a home jersey in the first round is you end up with maybe the best defense in the country on the other side.

If it’s worth doing, it isn’t going to be easy. Have fun on Friday and may the best team win.

HOOTER
03-17-2010, 04:09 PM
We are similar in a few regards. We’re both young and talented. Consequently, we’re both inconsistent and streaky. Gonzaga and FSU on their best days can run with anyone. Both are coming off disappointing conference tournaments and you have to think both are very hungry to erase that bad taste. Who will be hungrier? We’ll find out Friday.

That about sums it up. Obviously I'd like to see the Zags win, but a solid performance from both teams would make for a pretty entertaining matchup. See y'all on Friday and good luck (next season ;) )

HOOTER
03-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Bump:D

BobZag
03-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Good call, Hooter!

Let 'er rip on Sunday, I say.