PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated / Arop / Broken Foot

NanookZag
03-16-2010, 02:22 PM
So not about Arop directly, but check out the reference to the broken fifth metatarsal and what this future NFL player is doing to heal quicker. 12 week heal time usually and he wants back in 7.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/03/16/mail/index.html?eref=sihp

MedZag
03-16-2010, 02:35 PM
So not about Arop directly, but check out the reference to the broken fifth metatarsal and what this future NFL player is doing to heal quicker. 12 week heal time usually and he wants back in 7.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/03/16/mail/index.html?eref=sihp

The way the phys therapist "sells" these things in the article comes off as kind of (ok, really) sleezey to me, unfortunately. These sort of "newer" therapies (marrow injection at the fracture, laser therapy, etc) have not been meticulously studied yet, and the results back on a lot of them have been mixed at best, a pure waste of money for most. The way Ms. Hartman describes these things, marrow injection as a "cement foundation", laser therapy as "bone cell growth stimulator", bone stimulator to "speed remodeling." ... I hope people realize that we don't actually KNOW if these therapies do those things. They are hypothesized mechanisms, but none are proven yet. Some of them are pretty poor hypotheses IMHO. But they make a great sales line. Unfortunately, athletes fall prey to these "try anything" therapies due to their competitive desire (and often, large sums of money on the line) but with any therapeutic intervention there's the potential for harm as well as benefit, and sometimes your body just has to heal as bodies heal, you can't mess with normal biology too much. It's hard to separate anecdotal evidence, especially since athletes tend to heal faster than most anyways (for numerous reasons).

Anyways... *steps of soapbox*

BobZag
03-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Let it heal nice and natural. There's no hurry. Mangisto has all the time in the world, plus he's been playing competitive hoops for a year straight, he could use a respite of sorts.

This kid is going to be special...sooner than later. I love every aspect of his game.

cjm720
03-16-2010, 02:58 PM
I thought he had a stress fracture? I guess I haven't seen anything official on the injury...not sure if that's legal anymore with HIPPA.

Anyone?

skan72
03-16-2010, 03:57 PM
The way the phys therapist "sells" these things in the article comes off as kind of (ok, really) sleezey to me, unfortunately. These sort of "newer" therapies (marrow injection at the fracture, laser therapy, etc) have not been meticulously studied yet, and the results back on a lot of them have been mixed at best, a pure waste of money for most. The way Ms. Hartman describes these things, marrow injection as a "cement foundation", laser therapy as "bone cell growth stimulator", bone stimulator to "speed remodeling." ... I hope people realize that we don't actually KNOW if these therapies do those things. They are hypothesized mechanisms, but none are proven yet. Some of them are pretty poor hypotheses IMHO. But they make a great sales line. Unfortunately, athletes fall prey to these "try anything" therapies due to their competitive desire (and often, large sums of money on the line) but with any therapeutic intervention there's the potential for harm as well as benefit, and sometimes your body just has to heal as bodies heal, you can't mess with normal biology too much. It's hard to separate anecdotal evidence, especially since athletes tend to heal faster than most anyways (for numerous reasons).

Anyways... *steps of soapbox*

What if I told you I am Harry Potter and can just wave my wand and make Arop all better...free of cost?

kitzbuel
03-16-2010, 04:12 PM
I thought he had a stress fracture? I guess I haven't seen anything official on the injury...not sure if that's legal anymore with HIPPA.

Anyone?

Don't believe it was a stress fracture. Earlier discussions point this way too: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=547065#post547065

MickMick
03-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Basketball is a little different. The constant jumping is akin to beating on your feet with a hammer.

Take your time Manny.