PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few - Alone with Rome

rdulay8
03-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Coach was just on ESPN as Jim Rome's guest. Here is what I was able to jot down:

• Buffalo – tough on our fans, but for my team, its an honor to be in our 12th straight big dance, especially when teams like UNC, UCONN, UCLA, etc didn’t make it in – we’re looking forward to it

• If you would have offered me an 8 seed in buffalo before the first day of practice, considering who we lost, as young as our guys are, to play a tough OOC sked and win our conference, this is quite an accomplishment

• Kept telling my guys, “don’t let this be the year we don’t win our conference or don’t make it to the dance”

• What bouldin has done is hes put his stamp firmly on the program as one of the all time greatest zags

• Bouldin is handing the keys over to gray for next year

• Gray seems really laid back but he is a ferocious competitor. Complete guard: shoots it, best defender, can count on game in and game out. When that stroke is going hes a tough guard

• Prefer to speed up against FSU. Gonna be tough to score against their D so it will be a struggle to score, but controlling the glass and pushing the tempo will probably be the keys to the game

• Hope the team will come out guns blazing, enjoy the moment, play with confidence, and just have fun

• Blessing for not playing in Spokane is there wont be as much pressure to win going into the game

zagzilla
03-16-2010, 01:02 PM
The media relations team really has him sticking to his talking points. I haven't seen a single interview yet where he doesn't crow about GU making the dance and Uconn, NC, UCLA et al missing it. OK. We get it. Move on.

Hope the players aren't falling for this "aw shucks, just glad to be here" routine.

OregonZag5
03-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Franky, I believe the players are better off if they do believe in it instead of spending unless energy being upset about going to New York and not being in Spokane- that happened when they went to Wy and to North Carolina and look what happened. It happened so just move on and worrying about the game.

And it has been 12 years in a row and for an old grad like me- going once would have been great. Need to pinch myself every day thinking we are going for the 12th year. Proud to be a Zag.

bartruff1
03-16-2010, 02:00 PM
The media relations team really has him sticking to his talking points. I haven't seen a single interview yet where he doesn't crow about GU making the dance and Uconn, NC, UCLA et al missing it. OK. We get it. Move on.

Hope the players aren't falling for this "aw shucks, just glad to be here" routine....why wouldn't they fall for it...I have...he is right on.

GUDan07
03-16-2010, 02:03 PM
He was on Rome's radio show yesterday too. The interview was almost a carbon copy of the one on the radio. I was pretty impressed by Rome's knowledge of the GU program. Either he did some good research prior to the interviews, or he's caught a couple of games. I thought Few went a little overboard comparing Bouldin to Stockton, Morrison, Dickau and Stepp. He's a nice piece, but he's clearly not on the level of any of those players.

gamagin
03-16-2010, 02:10 PM
...why wouldn't they fall for it...I have...he is right on.

while i would like new stuff every interview, can anyone imagine how many MORE interviews MF would have to give if he didn't say the same thing each stop. For e.g., I assume MF knew MB was going to be on the SI cover. If he told one interviewer about it and not the others, they'd all be wailing about getting scooped bysomeoe else and either leave them mad, or go back and comment on that new development. ad infinitum.

as it is, he's likely going to have to say a dozen more times what he has already said in 4-5 instances in the past two days, when they get to buffalo. Not to mention if someone wants to ask him about the Or. job or some other headline grabber. It's the nature of the beast. But most of the q's are predictable, so the a's become predictable, and practiced, too.

gamagin
03-16-2010, 02:15 PM
He was on Rome's radio show yesterday too. The interview was almost a carbon copy of the one on the radio. I was pretty impressed by Rome's knowledge of the GU program. Either he did some good research prior to the interviews, or he's caught a couple of games. I thought Few went a little overboard comparing Bouldin to Stockton, Morrison, Dickau and Stepp. He's a nice piece, but he's clearly not on the level of any of those players.

and MB a possible All America candidate, wooden award winner, etc etc etc., there is no better place to brag about your star & hopefully build interest, votes and consideration beyond March Madness.

If MB can have a career best tourney, and we make enough of a run, well, the whole world will become his oyster. So what better time to brag ?

It's all part of the hype that goes with the platform MB helped the Zags build and upon which he stands tallest.

FuManShoes
03-16-2010, 02:31 PM
I thought Few went a little overboard comparing Bouldin to Stockton, Morrison, Dickau and Stepp. He's a nice piece, but he's clearly not on the level of any of those players.

I'm not president of the MB fan club or anything but he is definitely one of the top guards to ever come through here. Who else has had the same ability to post up, drive both directions, shoot threes, hit FTs, and pass like a pro? Matt's had his issues with consistency, shot selection and defense and maybe isn't as explosive offensively but few have been as complete a player as him. What makes Gray special is that he has many of those same skills and is an elite defender. If he improves his handle and consistency he could have a season for the ages next year.

jazzdelmar
03-16-2010, 02:35 PM
spin cycle...they all do it....makes sense from a p.r. pov but no red meat for the faithful....only worrisome part is that few believes his own spin.....

GUDan07
03-16-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm not president of the MB fan club or anything but he is definitely one of the top guards to ever come through here. Who else has had the same ability to post up, drive both directions, shoot threes, hit FTs, and pass like a pro? Matt's had his issues with consistency, shot selection and defense and maybe isn't as explosive offensively but few have been as complete a player as him. What makes Gray special is that he has many of those same skills and is an elite defender. If he improves his handle and consistency he could have a season for the ages next year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take anything away from Matt. He's a solid player that had a very nice run at GU. Those other guys all had the ability to put the team in their back and win games singlehandedly. One of the best players to ever come through the program? Absolutely. Dickau level? Not close. I think one of the other posters nailed it when they said he took the opportunity to promote his star player on national TV.

Fonebone
03-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Mark said the same thing at the Zag banquete - that Matt will go down as one of the all time greats. He said that when you go down to the Herak Room - the pre-game hangout for the bigger donners - you see Stockton, Dickau, Stepp etc on the wall, and that Matt's picture was going to be right there with them. No reporters at that dinner. You can say he was spinning for the fans that were there - but it sure didn't sound like that. He said it with emotion in his voice.

No doubt coaches hype their best players talking to the press, especially national media, but that does not mean what he has said about Matt is not what he honestly feels.

billyberu
03-16-2010, 06:07 PM
spin cycle...they all do it....makes sense from a p.r. pov but no red meat for the faithful....only worrisome part is that few believes his own spin.....

Two peas in a pod and a coupla' spoons in a drawer.

Xin Loi 67
03-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Matt showed them they could win and willed it a couple of times. Remember Few calling one of Matt's games this year the most gutsy game played he's seen a Zag play? I may be off a little but I'm close. Few and Bouldin was a good partnership this year. Might just be the best Few has had with a player.

MickMick
03-16-2010, 06:34 PM
My first reaction (and post....see below) upon seeing this matchup was "up tempo"

Looks like coach Few sees it as a key to the game as well. I also expect to see much more press and traps than you typically see from a Zag team. Force a turnover and convert in transition.

I like the matchup.

The tourney is all about matchups and the Zags got a favorable one.

FSU is a good team, it is just that their makeup and style fits perfectly into what the Zags want in a matchup.

Their size will not overwhelm us like they would many other teams. They are not a great perimeter shooting team. They are not penetrating speed demons. They are not a well oiled machine on offense. In fact, they have a knack of turning the ball over at critical junctures.

They will play good defense and work us inside. If they beat us, that is how they will do it. I think the Zags can kill them in transition. Up tempo is the way to go against this squad. Run those big guys into the ground.

FuManShoes
03-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Matt showed them they could win and willed it a couple of times. Remember Few calling one of Matt's games this year the most gutsy game played he's seen a Zag play? I may be off a little but I'm close. Few and Bouldin was a good partnership this year. Might just be the best Few has had with a player.

I thought Few said Gray had one of the gutsiest games he'd ever seen from a Zag - the injury-filled LMU affair in the WCC Semis. Maybe Bouldin had one, too.

I do know it's high time Matt had a great tourney game. Fun with numbers:

Matt's Tourney lines:

vs. Indiana - 28 mins, 2-6 fg, 1-2 3pt, 3-4 ft, 8 pts, 4 rbs, 3 ast, 1 st, 1 blk

vs Davidson - 26 mins, 4-8 fgs, 0-1 3pt, 0-0 ft, 8 pts, 5 rbs, 4 ast, 5 to

vs Akron - 37 mins, 3-8 fg, 0-2 3pt, 6-6 ft, 12 pts, 6 rbs, 5 ast, 3 to
vs WKU - 38 mins, 6-15 fg, 3-7 3pt, 5-7 ft, 20 pts, 8 rbs, 6ast, 3to, 1st
vs. UNC - 30 mins, 3-10 fg, 0-5 3pt, 1-1 ft, 7 pts, 4 reb, 0 ast, 2 to, 1st

Total Dance avg: 32 mpg, .383 fg, .235 3pt, .888 ft, 11pg, 5.4 rb, 3.6 ast

Once and Future Zag
03-16-2010, 06:49 PM
My take on where Matt is poised for his career.

http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=27578

ZagLawGrad
03-16-2010, 06:54 PM
MB's not the most talented guard this program has had, but I can speculate why Few loves the guy.

Pretty good citizen, does his homework and keeps his grades up, stays out of trouble, and he happily without complaint does everything at practice and on the court that a coach could ask or expect of a player. And the guy leads by example.

That's a pretty good package.

Bocco
03-16-2010, 06:55 PM
I thought Few went a little overboard comparing Bouldin to Stockton, Morrison, Dickau and Stepp. He's a nice piece, but he's clearly not on the level of any of those players.

I respectfully disagree. I have seen them all. Each brought something different, but each was equally as important to the success of the team when they played for the Zags. I would hate to think what this year would have been without Matt.

FuManShoes
03-16-2010, 07:10 PM
My take on where Matt is poised for his career.

http://guboards.com/showthread.php?t=27578

Damn, you already did all the work! Nice. I think Matt's all around game and the players he's had around him have given some the perception he isn't an uber stud. I'm fine with him having another well rounded game this year in the Dance, so long as they come out with the W.

CB4
03-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Few is usually great with these type of interviews but this one was pretty bland, IMO.

On a side note... After watching a number of Few's interviews, am I the only one that senses that he doesn't appear to demand his team to exceed expectations? I feel like he has been surprised by this team, he has said he "hopes" the good Zag team shows up this weekend, and other similar quotes. Maybe I'm off base here, and perhaps how he appears to the media is much different than how he is with the team, but that's just something I observed.