PDA

View Full Version : Ekrub's Keys to Victory

Ekrub
03-16-2010, 11:28 AM
1. No Black Jerseys
2. Don't blow 15+ Point Leads
3. Bench Meech (Starting 5 - Bouldin, Gray, Harris, Olynyk, Sacre)
4. Score More Points Than The Other Team
5. Please, No Black Jerseys

BlueVoodoo07
03-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Number 4 is the only one that needs to be done. checkmate

primal23
03-16-2010, 11:45 AM

Yeah I'd be ok with a 1 pt win, my heart, wife and daughter might not, but I would take it.

Ekrub
03-16-2010, 11:52 AM

Not True. We still lose if we wear those black jerseys.

primal23
03-16-2010, 11:53 AM

Lucky for you, IIRC the blacks are away jerseys, so we wouldn't wear them for this game, it would be the possible Syracuse game you would need to worry about those. I personally fear the reds more then the blacks.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-16-2010, 12:08 PM
The Gonzaga mascot was the Fighting Irish at one point in the distant past. We ought to roll out a green "Irish" jersey for the game closest to St. Patrick's day in honor of Gonzaga's past.

I'd buy one.

BlueVoodoo07
03-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Really number 4 isnt the only one that needs to be done? So your saying if we do what your #4 says, but wear the black jerseys we will lose? Must be some rule even if we score more points than the other team we still lose, if we are in black.:confused:

U Zig, I Zag
03-16-2010, 12:21 PM
The Gonzaga mascot was the Fighting Irish at one point in the distant past. We ought to roll out a green "Irish" jersey for the game closest to St. Patrick's day in honor of Gonzaga's past.

I'd buy one.

Actually, that is kind of a cool idea. Someone tell the AD's office (or whomever might pimp something like that) for next year's March Madness run... even if it is just something to buy, a T-Shirt or something.

dim4sum
03-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Decreased playing time for Meech increases our chances of winning. At some point in time the coaches should be thinking "we can't win with him in there."
put steven at the point, make Bol the shooting forward. Maybe it's too late in the season to be thinking this, but both Elias and Rob have seen their game stagnate. Both need to start creating down low--there's an uneasy predictability about their telegraphed language on offense. Any decent team that can read a generalized scouting report, can now foil the Zag offense, especially Florida State wuth its great d.

pbriz
03-16-2010, 01:59 PM
You guys have to be joking about Meech in this one. How do you think we are going to push the tempo? In addition, the athleticism of their guards can only be matched by Meech. We need Gray and Meech in the backcourt and run some plays to get Bouldin lose.

Think about it logically for a second. Offensively we push the tempo just like UNC loved to do last year. They are HUGE inside so we run Meech down the middle and have Bouldin and Gray set up shot on the perimeter. Meech can hit either one in transition and if they get hot he just dumps down to Sacre or let's Harris isolate 1 on 1. If we go to the half court Sacre and Harris need to lay down crisp screens on the perimeter to open up our shooters. NC state beat them this way twice. This is the gameplan-it is vital to follow it. Don't be afraid to mix it up Few!

Transition is the key in this one fellas. If we hit 35-38% of our 3's I say we take it easily.

bartruff1
03-16-2010, 02:05 PM
You guys have to be joking about Meech in this one. How do you think we are going to push the tempo? In addition, the athleticism of their guards can only be matched by Meech. We need Gray and Meech in the backcourt and run some plays to get Bouldin lose.

Think about it logically for a second. Offensively we push the tempo just like UNC loved to do last year. They are HUGE inside so we run Meech down the middle and have Bouldin and Gray set up shot on the perimeter. Meech can hit either one in transition and if they get hot he just dumps down to Sacre or let's Harris isolate 1 on 1. If we go to the half court Sacre and Harris need to lay down crisp screens on the perimeter to open up our shooters. NC state beat them this way twice. This is the gameplan-it is vital to follow it. Don't be afraid to mix it up Few!

Transition is the key in this one fellas. If we hit 35-38% of our 3's I say we take it easily....Absoutely...Meech is the key...his speed and toughness and experience are just what we need...I think Few knows what he is doing...

Ezag
03-16-2010, 02:13 PM
The only prob with Meech is that he is not a good passer so breaking down defenses will not happen, he cannot shoot well from the field or line and if some else like Sacre is having a hard time scoring like he will against their Giant, then you are really limiting our scoring options leaving all the scoring to Bouldin, Gray and Harris and that probably will not get it done.

OZZY
03-16-2010, 02:24 PM
6. Big Rob Sacre to release the "Inner Warrior" and take the game to Alabi! DUNK on him! Get back that early season form that showed he could play tough and score points. Make the opposition focus on him which will allow Elias to get a bit more room.

Oh, and no black jerseys.................

BobZag
03-16-2010, 02:54 PM
6. Big Rob Sacre to release the "Inner Warrior" and take the game to Alabi! DUNK on him! Get back that early season form that showed he could play tough and score points. Make the opposition focus on him which will allow Elias to get a bit more room.

Right on, and Rob has the attitude to do just that. I'm hoping. And if the others take Rob's cue... :)

CaZagAlum
03-16-2010, 07:09 PM
You guys have to be joking about Meech in this one. How do you think we are going to push the tempo?

I can't even remember the last time we pushed the tempo. I might not even use all five fingers on one hand if I tried to count the baskets we scored in transition in our last three games. I appears the boys were sucking air and trying to catch their breath on offense as of late.

dim4sum
03-16-2010, 07:41 PM
This game can hinge on whether our big guy in the middle shows up as Rob Sacre, the tough-minded, hard playing guy who led the team to early-season success or the mocking, semi-serious non-rebounder named Bobby Casual, who feels that any foul called against him is a big joke. If Rob Sacre shows up and Meech doesn't get more than 15 minutes we win. If it's Bobby Casual and 25 minutes of playing time for Meech we lose.

MDABE80
03-16-2010, 07:49 PM
We need the "Cincinnati" Rob...and Meech to drive the middle....collapse their defense and pass to the wings.....Give em some room...Matt, Elias and Steven will deliver...

U Zig, I Zag
03-16-2010, 08:34 PM
The only player I want to see smiling on the court is Steven. He is the only one that smiles, maybe most, when he is getting into the game. Everyone else worries me... Rob getting called for a foul and laughing it off, that kind of thing bothers me. Get MAD guys...

TerpZag
03-16-2010, 09:24 PM

Transition is the key in this one fellas. If we hit 35-38% of our 3's I say we take it easily.

Meech, really? Where have you observed Meech doing what you described above on a consistent basis these last two years?

To most observers, Meech has neither demonstrated on a consistent basis even the leadership on the court needed by a point guard nor the ability to initiate the Gonzaga offense effectively.

More often than not, when Meech has driven the ball into the paint on the dribble, he either can not or will not make the short pass to his open teammate under the basket for the easy layup and he certainly has not demonstrated the ability to kick the ball out to an open teammate standing out on the wings.

Bouldin and Gray have both demonstrated this ability but Meech has not.

In addition, Meech has not demonstrated the ability to consistently make the entry pass to the post player down on the blocks.

The truth is that this year in the ACC, the teams that consistently defeated Florida State were the teams whose back court were experienced, with big guards, who could score and played tough defense. Think Duke, Maryland and Clemson. Even in a generally weak overall ACC, those teams were 5-0 against Florida State. Even a mediocre team like NC State defeated Florida State twice without losing this year. That description of successful guard play against FSU, generally describes both Bouldin and Gray. It certainly doesn't describe Meech's demonstrated abilities.

On the other hand, Florida State was successful against the bottom half of an overall generally weak ACC. Think teams like Georgia Tech, Boston College, Miami (Fla) and North Carolina. These teams were 0-7 against Florida State. These teams guards were generally inexperienced, lacked consistent scoring punch and generally did not play tough defense on the perimeter.

In my opinion, in order to be successful against Florida State, Mark Few should utilize more of Bol Kong (for effective scoring) and Grant Gibbs (for effective passing to the open man) and less Meech in this game.

Zag79
03-17-2010, 12:38 AM
Decreased playing time for Meech increases our chances of winning. At some point in time the coaches should be thinking "we can't win with him in there." put steven at the point, make Bol the shooting forward. Maybe it's too late in the season to be thinking this, but both Elias and Rob have seen their game stagnate. Both need to start creating down low--there's an uneasy predictability about their telegraphed language on offense. Any decent team that can read a generalized scouting report, can now foil the Zag offense, especially Florida State wuth its great d.

:lmao: almost time for bed.

You guys have to be joking about Meech in this one. How do you think we are going to push the tempo? In addition, the athleticism of their guards can only be matched by Meech. We need Gray and Meech in the backcourt and run some plays to get Bouldin loose.Transition is the key in this one fellas. If we hit 35-38% of our 3's I say we take it easily.

ok, ok! im awake! and i fully agree. meech is important in many different areas of a game. if we need scoring, and only that sub him out. everyone on the team has a vital role, and meech is no different.

Meech, really? Where have you observed Meech doing what you described above on a consistent basis these last two years?

To most observers, Meech has neither demonstrated on a consistent basis even the leadership on the court needed by a point guard nor the ability to initiate the Gonzaga offense effectively.

More often than not, when Meech has driven the ball into the paint on the dribble, he either can not or will not make the short pass to his open teammate under the basket for the easy layup and he certainly has not demonstrated the ability to kick the ball out to an open teammate standing out on the wings.

In addition, Meech has not demonstrated the ability to consistently make the entry pass to the post player down on the blocks.

nevermind... zzz! night gang!

MontanaZag
03-17-2010, 02:56 AM

The truth is that this year in the ACC, the teams that consistently defeated Florida State were the teams whose back court were experienced, with big guards, who could score and played tough defense. Think Duke, Maryland and Clemson. Even in a generally weak overall ACC, those teams were 5-0 against Florida State. Even a mediocre team like NC State defeated Florida State twice without losing this year. That description of successful guard play against FSU, generally describes both Bouldin and Gray. It certainly doesn't describe Meech's demonstrated abilities.

On the other hand, Florida State was successful against the bottom half of an overall generally weak ACC. Think teams like Georgia Tech, Boston College, Miami (Fla) and North Carolina. These teams were 0-7 against Florida State. These teams guards were generally inexperienced, lacked consistent scoring punch and generally did not play tough defense on the perimeter.

In my opinion, in order to be successful against Florida State, Mark Few should utilize more of Bol Kong (for effective scoring) and Grant Gibbs (for effective passing to the open man) and less Meech in this game.

FSU is a tough, physical team. There could NOT be a better player to have for this challenge than meech. Everyone likes to point out that we need to bring more "fire" and "intensity" . . . . Meech brings it night in and night out and he will not be afraid to scrap with FSU. The fact that you claim to be able to measure Meech's leadership or lack there of is comical.

Zag79
03-17-2010, 11:14 PM
FSU is a tough, physical team. There could NOT be a better player to have for this challenge than meech. Everyone likes to point out that we need to bring more "fire" and "intensity" . . . . Meech brings it night in and night out and he will not be afraid to scrap with FSU. The fact that you claim to be able to measure Meech's leadership or lack there of is comical.

great post, really. its posts like THIS that keep me coming back. meech is always full of fire and intensity regardless of stats good or bad.