PDA

View Full Version : FSU Will Win and Here's Why

BobZag
03-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Matt needs the ball in his hands to be effective. I don't know why but he never gets hit in transition anymore (save the one bounce pass from Steven vs SMC). Meech either looks him off or passes away, or in most cases, is late and Matt is in trouble before he gets the ball. He has been continually face guarded or doubled. The picks just aren't there as well. If you have a DVD, watch the play at the end of the first half and watch the start and on in the second, you can't miss it. If they want to get past FSU, Meech should be situational. The team needs Harris and Sacre scoring and when Matt and Steven bring the ball down, or Matt gets the pass after crossing midcourt, it loosens up the middle. They have to come out and honor their shot. When Meech brings the ball down FSU will build a wall and close the middle. This started at league play. If you noticed after each league loss, Matt had the ball in his hands the next game and everything went well...then it changed back until they lost again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Add to that the fact that every team that has applied tough defense on the Zags this season has made the offense look awful. The offense desintegrates into pieces and before you know it, it is completely f***ed and the loss is on its way. Duke stifled the Zags, look how disorganized GU was in that disaster; LMU put great defense on GU and the Zags could barely function; and SMC did the same as LMU, Randy Bennett saw the weakness on film and exploited it.

Well, Leornard Hamilton has seen the tapes as well.

I fully expect FSU to shutdown Gonzaga. Best not to be fooled again by what "experts" say. Wild Bill and his smelly belly knows as much as they do.

2011Zag
03-16-2010, 11:54 AM
I thought the doomed thread would never come...

Zagalicious
03-16-2010, 11:59 AM
I tend to agree and have been thinking the same thing since Sunday. We are declining in our ability to play and at the wrong time. Prove me wrong boys, prove me wrong.

GUinSTL
03-16-2010, 12:03 PM
how do the FSU posters keep finding their way over here?

U Zig, I Zag
03-16-2010, 12:03 PM
This is a little deeper than your normal, 'we are doomed' posts...

I agree with all of it, really - that scenario can play out, certainly. I will only add this:

1. Mark Few better earn his $ and get creative with this thing. Do the same thing over and over and you are going to get the same result. For this team, things seem to get out of hand very, very quickly. 10 mins in and down 6 is a problem. Mix it up. FSU is going to counter everything they have seen on tape this year. What they haven't seen is Bol, GJ, GG a whole ton. Run GJ with Matt and Steven and push into a transition game. Meech can break presses and guard like a glove - but he doesn't have the vision.

2. I hope FSU uses the last game as their template. That WAS NOT a healthy, coherent GU. I don't care what people say. The refs didn't help much. Unless we are STILL sick and aching and FSU magically becomes an offensive juggernaut this is ours to lose. The refs' have to be better, right?

3. Matt and Steven walked into the Kennel and started playing. 7 years of D1 ball, 7 years of NCAA Tourneys, 14+ (??) Tourney games between them? These guys are the Balls. They will lead the troops.

tightface
03-16-2010, 12:09 PM
This game will look quite a bit like the Wake Forest game. They will pound us on the offensive glass. As long as we can get a quick, early lead and avoid the major momentum changer (Elias' ejection) we should be ok.

Second chance points will be huge in this game, limiting theirs and getting ours in transition or in the paint.

rawkmandale
03-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Total crap, Bob, and here's why. Yes, our offense is going to struggle against FSU. Yes, we fans will be wringing our hands and drinking too much. Yes, it will be ugly.

The difference is that we can defend FSU even more effectively than they defend us. They are not a skilled offensive team, they are also young, and they will turn the ball over. We are going to get a lot of run out slams, and they are going to struggle to score in their half court sets. Their height advantage over most teams is going to be negated.

We win, despite their ability to disrupt our offense.

zag buddy
03-16-2010, 12:21 PM
My major concern is that we have 10 or 11 players who have never danced before. That is hugh.

jim77
03-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Dead on Bob.

Nothing quite like letting your main playmaker get mugged. It gets worse Bob, seen the FSU guys? Matts gonna have a guy that is 6'8" and quicker than himself face guarding him. If WCC teams can make him a non factor then FSU certainly can...as they are the best in the NATION. I remember the days when guard dogging our guard would introduce one to JP's big wide shoulder? Remember that? (ouch) Now we have guys standing in one spot waiting for Matt to do his Curly Neal impression. No wonder the guy is worn down.

If I was coaching there would be a trafic jam of guys waiting to pick Matts guy...in fact their might even be a double picks too. It would get real painful AND RISKY staying in Matts grill. At this stage of the season we need to be protecting our playmaker AND others need to step up and take the pressure off of Matt.

Fsu's offense doesn't score a bunch of points but, they don't need to with their withering defense......wonder how they'll look against Syracuse??

Saxon_zag
03-16-2010, 12:25 PM
This is dumb.

We will win because we have freaking Matt Bouldin and Steven Gray and their guards are tall, but terrible offensively, which you can pretty much say about their whole team. They can't contain all the offensive threats we have, maybe pick matt to zero in on but then elias and steven will take over. Restore the faith you had in this team after maui and in the ooc, they know it's game time

Saxon_zag
03-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Dead on Bob.

Nothing quite like letting your main playmaker get mugged. It gets worse Bob, seen the FSU guys? Matts gonna have a guy that is 6'8" and quicker than himself face guarding him. If WCC teams can make him a non factor then FSU certainly can...as they are the best in the NATION. I remember the days when guard dogging our guard would introduce one to JP's big wide shoulder? Remember that? (ouch) Now we have guys standing in one spot waiting for Matt to do his Curly Neal impression. No wonder the guy is worn down.

If I was coaching there would be a trafic jam of guys waiting to pick Matts guy...in fact their might even be a double picks too. It would get real painful AND RISKY staying in Matts grill. At this stage of the season we need to be protecting our playmaker AND others need to step up and take the pressure off of Matt.

Fsu's offense doesn't score a bunch of points but, they don't need to with their withering defense......wonder how they'll look against Syracuse??

Are you saying they are gonna put their best d-guy (was it singletary or singleton>) on matt? Lol I sure hope so. And i bet Elias HArris is drooling at the idea of that as well

VinnyZag
03-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Add to that the fact that every team that has applied tough defense on the Zags this season has made the offense look awful.

FSU has the No. 1 rated defense (defensive efficiency) in the country according to KenPom. FSU is just about the worst possible first-round matchup for GU.

ZagsObserver
03-16-2010, 12:31 PM
While I hope you are not right, that very well may be the case. Meech hurts this team in so many ways that won't show up in the stat sheet. I hope next year they leave that position open for the best player to win...and if that's the case, GJ or Gibbs will win it, and our offense will look so much smoother. This years team relies a lot more on isolation offense, and part of the issue is the inefficiency at the point guard position. Our assist stats reflect this.

BlueVoodoo07
03-16-2010, 12:31 PM
I love how you some of you guys post that you think we will win, but than when the GREAT BOBZAG has no faith in our team and says we will lose. You all are like yup its over. Just because a guy puts out a lot of posts on a computer doesn't mean he always is right. It's just one guys opinion, just like my opinion is we will win this game Matt will show why he was up for all those awards. Our team won't fold just because some fans do.:mad:
GO ZAGS

Saxon_zag
03-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Some people... no faith in your own team, and i thought i was negative...

Saxon_zag
03-16-2010, 12:33 PM
I love how you some of you guys post that you think we will win, but than when the GREAT BOBZAG has no faith in our team and says we will lose. You all are like yup its over. Just because a guy puts out a lot of posts on a computer doesn't mean he always is right. It's just one guys opinion, just like my opinion is we will win this game Matt will show why he was up for all those awards. Our team won't fold just because some fans do.:mad:
GO ZAGS

Exactly... and no offense but I think its the first time I have seen the guy make a post with actual insight, that doesn't just leave us asking a ton of questions

skan72
03-16-2010, 12:36 PM
GO ZAGS

BobZag is not folding...he always puts out a "we're doomed thread" for the purposes of the "anti-jinx" if you catch my drift.

RenoZag
03-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Just because a guy puts out a lot of posts on a computer doesn't mean he always is right. It's just one guys opinion. . .

Indeed.

primal23
03-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Bob do you work with me? :) Man there are a ton of people who think that we will get blown out on friday. I bet if I were to do a poll around my work, I would be the 1 or 2 people who thinks we have a chance, and thats have a chance, not even going as far as saying a win.

Course the same people are saying that the ladies are going to learn about real teams when they play UNC, and my reply was that they are idiots, and should watch a ladies game before passing out their oral flatulence.

jim77
03-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Are you saying they are gonna put sinngletary on matt? Lol I sure hop so. And i bet Elias HArris is drooling at the idea of that as well

YUP.

So what did Elias do in Vegas when they put the clamps on Matt? HMMMM? Dribble into double coverage and throw up a woff ball? Sorry, but we weren't very effective creating our own sot in Vegas and we won't be in Buffalo either.....Seen the big hop move from Elias lately? Nope. Know why? Cause everybody's onto it AND ITS A TRAVEL. His best move has been taken from him.......we need to screen and pick from the opening tip to the whistle...NONSTOP...that is how you will beat FSU. That is how Elias and Co. can do damage....not trying to 1 on 1 the best D in the country. Theres 1 guy on the team that picks every time up the floor and his name is WILL FOSTER.

Pargo the Destroyer
03-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Nail, meet coffin.

Jakester425
03-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Wow...what a bunch of Debbie Downers. I'd be more than happy to make a friendly wager with anyone who thinks we are going to lose on Friday.

jim77
03-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Remember that Stephon Curry guy? You know that slight built kid that lit everybody up? Remember our first round exit? Did everybody on the planet know that he was the guy to stop? So why didn't the Zags (and nearly the national champs )not stop him. I'll tell you why. Cause he used his team mates as traffic cones....every where he went you had to fight off a pick to guard him......if you got lazy he'd drop the 3....hell, he'd get 5,6 or 10 picks on each possesion! He'd even frustrate the other team cause eventually one of his pickers would peel off to the hoop where Stephon would drop a nice pass for a lay up. The Davidson Wildcats protect him more than the US Army does the gold in Fort Knox. That what needs to be done for our playmaker.....so slide that elbow pad up to you're upper arm cause you're gonna need it.

GonzagaSwagga
03-16-2010, 12:51 PM
BobZag is not folding...he always puts out a "we're doomed thread" for the purposes of the "anti-jinx" if you catch my drift.
Did he make one prior to the Tourney Championship game(I was in Vegas and didn't see)? If so, then this one should be deleted.

I'm all for realistic expectations, but even if he doesn't mean what he posts it obviously provides some ammunition for some of the more pliable Zag fans around here, lowering overall morale. I'd rather be happy. :)

Pargo the Destroyer
03-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Wow...what a bunch of Debbie Downers. I'd be more than happy to make a friendly wager with anyone who thinks we are going to lose on Friday.

No wager for me, I am in the "were going to win" boat.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-16-2010, 01:00 PM
I think that Bol Kong is going to play a lot of minutes in this game. We'll need outside shooting against FSU more than we'll need defense at the point, so those matchups favor using him over Goodson. The Seminole guards are tall and good defensive players, but not offensive threats, at least not from the outside. Kong can spread the defense more than Meech and his defensive limitations will not hurt as much as they might against a backcourt with better shooters. Put the ball in Matt's hands at the point and put Kong in the corner. The FSU defense will have to guard Kong and Gray on the edges and that should open up some passing lanes and driving lanes for the other players.

Boom, Boom, Boom.

madness
03-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Let's go back to madness waiting in the Orleans cab line after the St. Mary's-Portland game, flush with winning a few parlays and expecting a great game Monday night:

madness uncle: so what do you think the line will be tomorrow? 2, 3?
madness: I'd say 6 or 7, I just hope Gray is OK.
madness brother: I doubt it will be that high...

{Coach Rice, Lloyd, and Giacoletti start walking down the LONG cab line before our group and the next group urge them to cut to the front}

madness: you guys have better things to do than stand in the rain!
Coach Rice: thanks guys (somber)
madness uncle: How's Gray?
Coach Rice: Steven's OK, but Manny broke his foot...(as he climbs into cab)

surrounding Zag fans all drop their jaws

At that point all I had in my mind was the NCAA tourney without Manny's rebounding and defense. Particularly for a matchup against a team like FSU. It's crazy how things workout.

I truly believe that the best lineup (used at times against MSU/Illinois/SMC) is Manny-Matt-Gray-Sacre-Harris, with Bouldin at point.

Well now, Bol Kong takes Manny's place. IMO, this will be our core lineup as Bob alludes too. Meech will provide change of pace Defense, but FSU doesn't have a shooter to shut down now. They might have one emerge, and if that's the case, Meech will guard him and frustrate him.

Otherwise, Bol will essentially play starter's minutes to be able to compete in the NCAAs. He has been shooting the 3 well in the last few games and also attacks the rim.

IF: Few does not mix it up (eg: SMC champ game) then yes, GU will lose. He needs to get out of his lineup comfort zone and let the guys run, with as much substitution as possible. If they settle for a half court game, they will lose. It will need to be fast breaks and get into the 80s.

BlueVoodoo07
03-16-2010, 01:34 PM
We score over 70 on this team, its a win for us.

madness
03-16-2010, 01:41 PM
You're probably right, only NC St scored over 80 (88) this year:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/clubhouse?teamId=52

Let me revise, if they score over 80 they will DEFINITELY win. Maryland was 2-0 vs. FSU this year scoring in the 70s each time. Did anyone watch either of those games?

gamagin
03-16-2010, 01:46 PM
I have a lot of faith that the coaches have been telling our guys what to do all year long. And, as you describe, the breakdowns occur anyway.

So your worst case scenario is a possibility. Certainly is going to be tried.

Whether it is successful, often enough to turn the game, however, is quite another matter.

If we take two guys and decide anyone is not going to score, we can make that happen.

that means what happens away from that star is what will be the difference.

Which is why the rest of the team, starting with Meech, has got to get into the game and stay there every play. All of our guys have had lots of practice. I believe they know by now where they can NOT screw up.

So cut the average screwups in half (be rested, agressive as hell and focused), add double our # of boards (RS, EH it is TIME!), take aways, hustle-inspired-second chances, play defense & take open shot opportunities (EVERYONE), and THEN see what the score is in the final minutes and go for it.

zagzilla
03-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Any wagers on which previously unknown FSU guard gets a career high for 3 pointers?

Don't fall for the rope-a-dope line about how their guards can't score.

ZZ

lothar98zag
03-16-2010, 01:48 PM
how do the FSU posters keep finding their way over here?
lol

madness
03-16-2010, 01:53 PM
NC St's Freshman Scott Wood lit up Florida St this year. A 6'7 shooter was deadly from beyond the arc and wouldn't let FSU win against them.

Hmm...Scott Wood = Bol Kong?

lothar98zag
03-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Did he make one prior to the Tourney Championship game(I was in Vegas and didn't see)? If so, then this one should be deleted.

I'm all for realistic expectations, but even if he doesn't mean what he posts it obviously provides some ammunition for some of the more pliable Zag fans around here, lowering overall morale. I'd rather be happy. :)
Sometimes BZ pretends to think GU's going to lose. Sometimes he's right & other times he's wrong.

Other times BZ actually thinks GU's going to lose. Sometimes he's right & other times he's wrong.

And maybe once a year, he actually says GU's going to win. Sometimes he's right & other times he's wrong.

Bottom line is he's not right all the time.

Personally I don't agree with him here, but he does make valid points that I could see happening in a worst case sorta way. And fwiw, I don't agree with the people that are giving a best case scenario either. I expect this game to be a 130 minute long stress test. Flip a coin on whether or not I'm happy after it's over.

LongIslandZagFan
03-16-2010, 02:01 PM
How about a little Nitty-Gritty RPI analysis:

GU's RPI: 37
Seminoles RPI: 42

FSU vs. top 50 RPI opponents:
4-6 (2 home 1 Away 1 Neutral. 2 of the 4 against same team)
FSU vs. 75 RPI opponents:
5-7 (3 H, 2A, 1N)

Zags vs. top 50 RPI:
3-4 (Wins: 1H, 1A, 1N, 2 of 3 wins against same team)
Zags vs. top 75 RPI:
6-4 (Wins: 1H. 2A. 3N)

What does it all mean... I have no idea. :D

Honestly, if you look at the Zag top 50 RPI losses they are: MSU, SMC, Duke, Wake... Harris doesn't get ejected and you are looking at likely 7-3 and a winning record vs top 50 RPI teams.

My take away... score over 70... FSU is 1-5 against teams scoring over 70. Push it up court constantly. Don't let them settle into a zone.

LongIslandZagFan
03-16-2010, 02:02 PM
How about a little Nitty-Gritty RPI analysis:

GU's RPI: 37
Seminoles RPI: 42

FSU vs. top 50 RPI opponents:
4-6 (2 home 1 Away 1 Neutral. 2 of the 4 against same team)
FSU vs. 75 RPI opponents:
5-7 (3 H, 2A, 1N)

Zags vs. top 50 RPI:
3-4 (Wins: 1H, 1A, 1N, 2 of 3 wins against same team)
Zags vs. top 75 RPI:
6-4 (Wins: 1H. 2A. 3N)

What does it all mean... I have no idea. :D

Honestly, if you look at the Zag top 50 RPI losses they are: MSU, SMC, Duke, Wake... Harris doesn't get ejected and you are looking at likely 7-3 and a winning record vs top 50 RPI teams.

My take away... score over 70... FSU is 1-5 against teams scoring over 70. Push it up court constantly. Don't let them settle into a zone.

FuManShoes
03-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Crap. I just wrote the best post ever and lost it. A summary:

1. This is what Bob Zag does and 80% of the time it works.

2. The Zags are doomed because FSU takes away what the Zags do best - transition buckets and interior hoops. The Zags will have to shoot better than usual from range to offset that or play the best defense since early in the year against a team with size and athleticism the likes of which they didn't see in the WCC.

3. The Zags are not doomed because they have risen to such challenges before, have size of their own and way more offensive skill at nearly every position and can play great D if they put their minds to it and stay out of foul trouble.

75Zag
03-16-2010, 02:40 PM
My heart and money are on the Bulldogs for the first game. I read the same statistics as everybody else but in my experience these lower tier teams out of major conferences can be beaten and frequently are beaten in the first round of games.

I will say one more thing and then shut up. If the team is "flat" on Friday afternoon like they were in the WCC tournament, I will blame the coaching staff as much or more than the players. GU showed it has talent early in the season. Talent does not, in my experience, magically disappear from college basketball players. It may take a lot of motivation (not just pep talks but cursing, thrown clip boards, and threats of pulled scholarships) to remind our guys of what they accomplished early in the season and how important it is that they accomplish a win on Friday. If that does not happen, I myself may give Phil Knight the contact number for Mark Few.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

bigblahla
03-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Crap. I just wrote the best post ever and lost it. A summary:

1. This is what Bob Zag does and 80% of the time it works.

2. The Zags are doomed because FSU takes away what the Zags do best - transition buckets and interior hoops. The Zags will have to shoot better than usual from range to offset that or play the best defense since early in the year against a team with size and athleticism the likes of which they didn't see in the WCC.

3. The Zags are not doomed because they have risen to such challenges before, have size of their own and way more offensive skill at nearly every position and can play great D if they put their minds to it and stay out of foul trouble.

Thank you, that was all the medication I needed.

We have the talent, when healthy, to beat any team in the country. We have seen incredible defensive efforts from our team.

We will be rested and healthy and I would imagine a little pissed off.

Pound the boards and run, run run...... :D

Go!! Zags!!!

zagnut2012
03-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Ok, I'll play the game. Well boys we might as well fold up our tent and pray that Elias stays for another year, that Manny's foot is healed up, that Steven can handle the pressure of a Bouldin-less ZAG team. Sacre and Olynyk can be score in the post, that the combo of Meech and Villarino can play in control and run an offense. That Sam I am likes "Green Eggs and Ham"! Did I miss anything? I have a feeling that this "Doomsday" post fits right into my moniker. "2012" is just around the corner. The Quakes and natural disasters have already started the ZAGS loosing in there first game is just the start of the "End of Civilization As WE KNOW IT!" Kiss your loved ones the end is near!!!:lmao:

Regards,

ZAGNUT 2012

surfmonkey89
03-16-2010, 03:29 PM

Interesting tidbit: If you swap the WF win with Illinois, we're likely looking at Wake out, Virginia Tech and Illinois in.

We directly affected three bubble teams this year.

U Zig, I Zag
03-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Interesting tidbit: If you swap the WF win with Illinois, we're likely looking at Wake out, Virginia Tech and Illinois in.

We directly affected three bubble teams this year.

AND we let SMC in!!! We really need to figure out what games are the important ones! :)

BobZag
03-16-2010, 03:39 PM
We all see things differently, like a hundred people who witness the same car crash, everybody's account of it is different.

If all some folks want on this board is Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows with big, happy Smiley Faces, I can do that. I usually do.

Listen, I hope I'm wrong. I hope the Zags demolish the Seminoles, then crush the 'Cuse. That would arguably be the greatest two-game weekend in Zag history and I'd be thrilled to see it! Yes, this team has potential and they've shown it. It has been a while but they've shown potential. It is possible this weekend.

Just don't listen to those "experts." They're the same bunch that's peddling UTEP over Butler. No, Butler will systematically embarrass UTEP.

imo. <-- that's all it is. :)

Xin Loi 67
03-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Your first statements were dead on save the loss premonition. The rest, you see exactly what I see, what's wrong with entry passes to the corner?

Most players would have gone postal by now but Matt seems to be playing into Few's plans for next year. If they win playing 4 or 3 man ball without Bouldin then Few will continue to play Meech at Point. If he doesn't put the ball in Matt's hands, you're right and they will lose. He's the playmaker don't look him off.

He needs to get vocal and in some face. I just don't know if he's that type of leader. He must become that person, NOW.

Democratic Nole
03-16-2010, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't say that our players are totally incapable of scoring. Here are the high point totals for the rotation players in ACC games. I am using ACC games because I don't want there to be any skewed numbers if one of the high point totals was against a really bad team.

Starters:
F Singleton -- 23 points vs. GA Tech
F Reid -- 17 points @ GA Tech
C Alabi -- 17 points @ Maryland
G Kitchen -- 29 points vs. Maryland
G Snaer -- 18 points vs. Boston College

Bench:
G Dulkys -- 17 points @ UNC
G Loucks -- 19 points vs. Miami
F/C Gibson -- 10 points @ Virginia, and vs. Wake Forest

The ability for these guys to score is there. However, they are woefully inconsistent.

This game could go either way. It's all about which teams and players show up on both sides.

BobZag
03-16-2010, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't say that our players are totally incapable of scoring. Here are the high point totals for the rotation players in ACC games. I am using ACC games because I don't want there to be any skewed numbers if one of the high point totals was against a really bad team.

Starters:
F Singleton -- 23 points vs. GA Tech
F Reid -- 17 points @ GA Tech
C Alabi -- 17 points @ Maryland
G Kitchen -- 29 points vs. Maryland
G Snaer -- 18 points vs. Boston College

Bench:
G Dulkys -- 17 points @ UNC
G Loucks -- 19 points vs. Miami
F/C Gibson -- 10 points @ Virginia, and vs. Wake Forest

The ability for these guys to score is there. However, they are woefully inconsistent.

This game could go either way. It's all about which teams and players show up on both sides.

Much depends on Gonzaga's defense. It can't give up these kinds of numbers. Thanks for the input, Demo.

ZagDaddy
03-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Rumor has it that it's so certain that GU will lose that first round game that they are just conceding the loss and not making the trip to Buffalo. It makes perfect economic sense to not spend the money or time when the outcome is so certain. I can hardly blame them...;)

MickMick
03-16-2010, 05:40 PM
For me on a personal level, this is make or break time for Meech.

He absolutely has to bring more to the table. I don't care if it is scoring, great defense, great assists, less turnovers.....whatever.

But the total sum of what he brings need to exceed what I have been seeing lately.

No question....he is the weak link. Even after going 2-3 deep on the bench. This is why the loss of Arop is so devastating. Now the Zags are almost forced to give Meech extended minutes.

If he reproduces his play against Wisconsin, I'll be generally happy.

Very sorry to call him out like this, but I can't see the Zags going very far playing 4 on 5.

bigblahla
03-16-2010, 06:08 PM
We all see things differently, like a hundred people who witness the same car crash, everybody's account of it is different.

If all some folks want on this board is Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows with big, happy Smiley Faces, I can do that. I usually do.

Listen, I hope I'm wrong. I hope the Zags demolish the Seminoles, then crush the 'Cuse. That would arguably be the greatest two-game weekend in Zag history and I'd be thrilled to see it! Yes, this team has potential and they've shown it. It has been a while but they've shown potential. It is possible this weekend.

Just don't listen to those "experts." They're the same bunch that's peddling UTEP over Butler. No, Butler will systematically embarrass UTEP.

imo. <-- that's all it is. :)

When you put it that way BZ it seems more palatable but who knows which Zag team shows up the one with legs and shots galore or the one that can't get it above rim, a step to slow, wasn't that your guy?

I said it when we lost at USF we were worn down then came injury and ill health, combine that with the brain farts of a young team then add in the fact that LMU and the Gaels can ball = losses, Dons turned around their season and program but got lucky, still a good win for the Dons.

Point being we're Spartans and the next loss is Matt's last game. I can't imagine any of his teammates, our Zags giving anything but their maximum effort 110&#37; and that's why we will win.

Oh yeah it would help if we shoot over 50% from the floor and score 76+. :D

Go!! Zags!!!

vandalzag
03-16-2010, 06:37 PM
My biggest problem with Bobzag's prediction is that I can't see him through the internet machine in order to judge his body language and determine if he is doing a double whammy doom post or if he is really worried.

That being said FSU is exactly the type of team that gives this team fits. Big strong guards that hammer Bouldin every step of the way and prevent the zags from getting into any kind of offensive flow.
This team is built to go as far as Bouldin can take them. Take him out of the game all of the sudden they are playing 3 on 5 on offense. At this point Goodson does not have the decision making abilities to penetrate this level of defense and create opportunities for the rest of the team. If FSU can take the ball out of Bouldin's hands the boys are in real trouble.
So that leaves it up to Gray, Harris, and somebody from the bench to carry the load. That is a lot to ask of first year players to carry the load.
Hopefully the 9 day rest has given them time to hop in the time machine and go back to Maui to gather some the island magic.

ZagLawGrad
03-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Heaven forbid FSU might be another WYOMING....please say no

CenturionNole23
03-16-2010, 08:46 PM
FSU seems to play well when we are underdogs or not ranked. As soon as we are favored or get ranked we lose and start moping around. We tend to do best under the radar and I think FSU will come out swinging.

theman.themyth.thelegend
03-16-2010, 09:14 PM
That being said FSU is exactly the type of team that gives this team fits. Big strong guards that hammer Bouldin every step of the way and prevent the zags from getting into any kind of offensive flow. This team is built to go as far as Bouldin can take them. Take him out of the game all of the sudden they are playing 3 on 5 on offense. At this point Goodson does not have the decision making abilities to penetrate this level of defense and create opportunities for the rest of the team. If FSU can take the ball out of Bouldin's hands the boys are in real trouble.
So that leaves it up to Gray, Harris, and somebody from the bench to carry the load. That is a lot to ask of first year players to carry the load.
Hopefully the 9 day rest has given them time to hop in the time machine and go back to Maui to gather some the island magic.

This is the primary reason this upcoming game feels like a 'one and done' for the Zags. I'm not saying I don't believe in them or their ability to win this type of game, its just a poor matchup. The NCAA Tourney is all about match-ups. For instance, FSU's defense knows how to shut down a "star player" or offensive system better than any team in the Country. I presume their tall, athletic, lengthy guards AND forwards will cause serious problems for Bouldin. The above post is what I'm worried about. If FSU is able to effectively shut down Bouldin and we leave Meech in on offense for some unknown reason, its 3 vs 5 on offense the entire game, and quite frankly, FSU has three more players to defend our big posts players with relative ease. In a recent interview with Jim Rome, Coach Few said the primary key to beating FSU is maintaining an up-tempo game that really pushes the pace in our favor(try to drive the score up). This tells me he is looking to Meech to push, push, and push the tempo all game long. I think the premise is fine, yet when Meech pushes, he's generally out of control, leaving everyone behind(including his teammates), and the offense as a whole goes to shambles. Having said all that, its just a bad matchup, imo.

jim77
03-17-2010, 01:08 AM
If we can keep the game uptempo then that would keep some pressure off of Matt. I think Meech can be effective this game for a few reasons. FSU usually plays man defense and they really don't have anyone quick enough to guard him....if Meech figures this out and drives and dishes things look good.

Lessor teams than FSU have taken Matt out of the game......this game will be a ginder.....I hope our 3 pointer guys are on and we pick/screen often.

BlueVoodoo07
03-17-2010, 02:01 AM
I see BobZag trying to make himself look like a wise Sage, if we win he will say it was just a doom posting to get us fired up. If we lose he will want us to be like oh wow BobZag you are the master. An for everybody talking about trends and how bad we are playing, how about this trend, we haven't lost two games in a row all year. GO ZAGS

Saxon_zag
03-17-2010, 02:10 AM
Yeah I don't really see why people are saying this is such a bad matchup.. A team with below-average guards and a poor offense and we are doomed? Yeah ok... Zags by 13

Zagpower
03-17-2010, 06:26 AM
Hey Bob,

I like GU and UTEP in the first round. :)

I especially like our chances if we go back to running plays and not just swing the ball until someone goes one on one. Our offense is a thing of beauty when executed properly.

BobZag
03-17-2010, 10:12 AM
I see BobZag trying to make himself look like a wise Sage, if we win he will say it was just a doom posting to get us fired up. If we lose he will want us to be like oh wow BobZag you are the master. An for everybody talking about trends and how bad we are playing, how about this trend, we haven't lost two games in a row all year. GO ZAGS

This is a message board. There are no masters. Just everyday people expressing opinions. If you disagree with my original post, I respect that. I don't want anyone to do anything. It's a freakin' message board on the internet. I stand by my first post, the first paragraph in particular. GO ZAGS

Zagsker
03-17-2010, 11:13 AM
FSU seems to play well when we are underdogs or not ranked. As soon as we are favored or get ranked we lose and start moping around. We tend to do best under the radar and I think FSU will come out swinging.

sounds very familiar

gamagin
03-17-2010, 11:45 AM

BZ doesn't need to build his creds. He's already got them. He's earned them in thousands of ways over the years. So some respect, please. Go back and read some of his contributions for yourself. He's a quality person and a quality contributor.

That said, I've seen him post prescient calls (watch out for raining treys vs. SMC recently) as well as a few clunkers. But no one is happier than BZ when he calls the other team and is wrong. That doesn't stop him from seeing things his way going into a game & speaking his mind and sharing his reasoning.

I hope he never stops his efforts and his posts and his valuable contributions.

He is what the GUB is at its best and at its core.