PDA

View Full Version : Pre-game analysis - CBSSports.com

caduceus
03-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Link to article The Edge - West Region First Round (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/mayhem/edge/west/GONZAG/FLST?tag=pageRow;pageContainer)

Matchup Summary

Florida State got where it is on the strength of a defense that held opponents to a national low 37.2 field-goal percentage, but Gonzaga shot 49.4 percent from the field, which ranked fifth in the country. The best individual matchup will be at the power forward spot, where Gonzaga freshman Elias Harris will go against 6-foot-9 Chris Singleton. The team that gets the game's tempo going to its liking should win the game.

BlueVoodoo07
03-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Wow I think we will win, because I know how are Zags play,but if I knew nothing about either team except for these stats. It would be a coin flip. GO ZAGS!!!

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-16-2010, 07:22 AM
The thing that most bothers me about FSU is that they are an excellent defensive team with tall, athletic players at every position. They have a 6'9" small forward who will be guarding Bouldin, a 6'9" power forward to guard Harris, and a pair of 6'5" guards to match up against Goodson and Gray. Bouldin, especially, has played some of his worst games against longer, athletic wing players. Their center is 7'1" and controls the paint quite well. Let's hope that the Zags can move the ball efficiently on offense and neutralize some of the Seminoles' length. Otherwise, this game could get very ugly for the boys from Spokane.

guardu
03-16-2010, 07:33 AM
You may see the Zags go big to try to move that match-up away from Bouldin. Let him run the point so its 6'5" on 6'5". One of the greatest attributes of the Zags this year is the ability to move personnel around due to depth and Bouldins ability to handle the ball.

Ikancagin
03-16-2010, 07:36 AM
The thing that most bothers me about FSU is that they are an excellent defensive team with tall, athletic players at every position. They have a 6'9" small forward who will be guarding Bouldin, a 6'9" power forward to guard Harris, and a pair of 6'5" guards to match up against Goodson and Gray. Bouldin, especially, has played some of his worst games against longer, athletic wing players. Their center is 7'1" and controls the paint quite well. Let's hope that the Zags can move the ball efficiently on offense and neutralize some of the Seminoles' length. Otherwise, this game could get very ugly for the boys from Spokane.

Let's out quick them in an up tempo game.

skan72
03-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Wait...there backcourt has the edge!??? Excuse me?

Their backcourt has the edge over Meech/Bouldin/Gray? Since when?

And our frontcourt has the edge? I love Sacre, don't get me wrong, and I think Harris is awesome...but Singleton is a stud. If anything I'd give us the edge in the backcourt and their frontcourt the edge.

And coaching we're even? No sir. This "edge" report is off, by a long shot.

Our Backcourt:

-top scorer and third top scorer, Bouldin and Gray respectively
Bouldin (Sr.): 15.8 ppg, 42 steals, 4.06 apg, 4.6 rpg, 86.9% FT, 37.8% 3pt, 45.8% FG and he's 6'5" and about 215-220
Gray (Jr.): 13.7 ppg, 1.16 spg, 2.75 apg, 4.1 rpg, 77.4% FT, 33.3% 3pt, 46.5% FG and he's 6'3" and very athletic
Meech (So.): 6.5 ppg, 1.78 apg, 2.1 rpg, 48.1% FG, 5'11" and one of the quickest human beings alive

Their Backcourt:

Michael Snaer (Fr.): 8.8 ppg, 1.3 apg, 2.6 rpg, 67.9% FT, 34.9% 3pt, 43.9% FG, and he's 6'5" but he's a freshman.
Deividas Dulkys (Fr.): 8.5 ppg, 1.1 apg, 2.4 rpg, 69% FT, 39.4% 3pt, 41.2% FG and he's 6'5" but again, a freshman.
Derwin Kitchen (Jr.): 8.2 ppg, 3.9 apg, 4.9 rpg, 71.4% FT, 30.3% 3pt, 42.7% FG and he's 6'4"

EDGE: US

ZagMania
03-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Backcourt edge to FSU and frontcourt edge to the Zags? Not that I know much about FSU but I'd say the complete opposite and give them the frontcourt edge and say we have the better guards.

ZagMania
03-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Beat me to it Skan ... I really think they confused frontcourt and backcourt

skan72
03-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Backcourt edge to FSU and frontcourt edge to the Zags? Not that I know much about FSU but I'd say the complete opposite and give them the frontcourt edge and say we have the better guards.

Agreed. Also, after looking at their front court, stats, etc. While Singleton is obviously ridiculously talented, I wouldn't say that their front court is that much better than ours of Sacre/Kong/Harris/Foster/Olynyk, if better at all.