PDA

View Full Version : ESPN U experts (9 of them) ALL pick Gonzaga?

rawkmandale
03-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Just posted on the FSU board:

http://floridastate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1080&tid=132355381&mid=132355381&sid=1061&style=2

rawkmandale
03-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Two more ESPN U overnight guys just talked about the West region. They decided to not pick a number one (and one said that Syracuse will NOT get past Gonzaga). One picked Vandy to win the region, and one picked Kansas State.

VaBeachZAG
03-16-2010, 05:06 AM
Let's hope the "pretty boys from out west" prove the ESPN guys right!!

bigblahla
03-16-2010, 05:39 AM

http://floridastate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1080&tid=132355381&mid=132355381&sid=1061&style=2

The same 9 walked "Cuse" over us.

GO!! Zags!!!

thickman1
03-16-2010, 06:03 AM
Yes, I watched that last night. All of them felt that Florida State has good interior play but struggle with guard play. GU's guards should give FSU fits. I think it was Mark Gottfried who said GU would come out in a zone and force FSU to hit shots from the outside because they haven't hit them all year long.

cjm720
03-16-2010, 06:16 AM
Yes, I watched that last night. All of them felt that Florida State has good interior play but struggle with guard play. GU's guards should give FSU fits. I think it was Mark Gottfried who said GU would come out in a zone and force FSU to hit shots from the outside because they haven't hit them all year long.

Yep. Said Few would go to Zone from the tip, which usually isn't the case. They all said we'd lose to 'Cuse.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-16-2010, 07:27 AM
The Zags have defended very well against teams who don't shoot the three. Will Foster needs to own the paint while he is in there.

I have a feeling that FSU's 7'1" bully is about to get a lesson in Fosterization.

BobZag
03-16-2010, 08:37 AM

This is why the Zags will lose. It never fails. Experts, my a$$.

23dpg
03-16-2010, 08:43 AM
They're all wrong. Gonzaga will lose to FSU but come back strong and beat Syracuse easily.

;)

theman.themyth.thelegend
03-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Joe Lunardi picks FSU & provides a short video preview about the game.

Found HERE. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/clubhouse?teamId=2250)

It may be worth posting this clip on FSU's message board, considering every thread/post is about the 'world is against us', 'nobody likes us', 'we're the underdogs', 'locker roam motivations', yada, yada, yada...

TacomaZAG
03-16-2010, 09:29 AM
I watched the "experts" show yesterday for a couple of hours, trying to get some info for my brackets. After all that time, guess what......1 vs 2 in all four regions in the elite eight, all 1's against each other in the FF, with KU winning it all.

Thanks for nothing............

FWIW, I have the Zags losing to KSU in the EE game. $10 allows me to bet my heart.

Go ZAGS

J-Lo
03-16-2010, 09:31 AM
This is why the Zags will lose. It never fails. Experts, my a$$.

DOOOOOOMED!

gamagin
03-16-2010, 10:00 AM
former drips under pressure

like weathermen/women: whatever they predict, they can change it the next day & nobody notices or cares. Why should we ?

Few, Bobby Knight, just about any coach of any note will take all the data, ratings and chitchat and try and explain the boring truth by tossing it all out. By trying to downplay all the chatter.

Because they know from experience its all about luck, matchups (which they & we do not control, including seeds, rpi) & concentrating on how we play (which we can control) vs. our opponent, not who we play.

How we get to that point is preparation: familiarity w/off/def (scouting, film, chalk talks), rest (i.e. fresh, not fatigued) and the confidence to stay focused & execute the entire 40 minutes of each game.

Meantime back at pundits-R-Us (all sports channels 24 x 7), its seeds vs rpis, alot of consulations with each other (fools rush in) followed by guesses by everyone in every studio out there, perhaps consultations with a ouija board, an occasional chicken or monkey with a yen for predicting, maybe a shanachie and a medicine man or two, for entertainment.

Finally, the last experts take a shot. That would be us, right here in river city and its many GUB virtual satellite operations.

I like what I read here on the GUB better than any of the others. By alot. First, we are biased towards the Zags and second I think we know the possibilities and the possible pitfalls better than nearly ever one of them.

We look for all traits all the time and when we see the good ones surface, we know we are in the hunt, we have a chance and we can go as far and as fast as the dance will take us.

The same way we can go anywhere and whip anyone. No matter what is written, said on t.v., projected by coaches, polls or fans of our foes.

We know our abilities and we know our liabilities. We stick around to see if this group, this year, is going to concentrate on their abilities, forget their liabiities, six more times, and go for the championship.

We know they can. We don't know if they have yet realized they can. But we are far from wishing it was possible.

We are more wishing that our Zags are deciding it is possible and going for it.

BlueVoodoo07
03-16-2010, 10:05 AM
I don't care what the experts think. All I care is what are team thinks, and I know they know they can win this game. GO ZAGS!!!

MJ777
03-16-2010, 10:08 AM
I watched the "experts" show yesterday for a couple of hours, trying to get some info for my brackets. After all that time, guess what......1 vs 2 in all four regions in the elite eight, all 1's against each other in the FF, with KU winning it all.

Thanks for nothing............

FWIW, I have the Zags losing to KSU in the EE game. $10 allows me to bet my heart.

Go ZAGS

Oh good, I was able to log in. I thought I might have been banned after the typo-gate incident in another thread. ;)

Regarding the experts, while each member differed on various games a majority of them probably picked chalk on most games. That makes sense. It would probably be better to watch two analysts such as Bilas and Gottlieb break down the games to get help for your brackets. My brackets are usually a burning disaster by the end of the first week regardless.

Go Zags

BobZag
03-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Joe Lunardi picks FSU & provides a short video preview about the game.

Found HERE. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/clubhouse?teamId=2250)

It may be worth posting this clip on FSU's message board, considering every thread/post is about the 'world is against us', 'nobody likes us', 'we're the underdogs', 'locker roam motivations', yada, yada, yada...

Lunardi is spot on. When Gonzaga goes against tough defenses, the offense goes south in a hurry until it is a mess. See Duke, LMU and SMC games. Just a bad matchup, it happens. Hope for better next March.

rawkmandale
03-16-2010, 11:00 AM
As much as I appreciate what Gamagin and Bob Zag have written here, I find it interesting (not necessarily accurate, but interesting), that in the ESPN Bracket Contest, the PUBLIC is picking Gonzaga over FSU 68.1% to 31.9%. Now, obviously, "name familiarity/reputation" has a lot to do with that.

We are being picked at a higher percentage in that game than #4 Purdue, #5 Temple, #6 Xavier and all the #7s (BYU, Richmond, Clemson, and Ok State), plus all the other #8s (Texas, UNLV, and Cal).

The only team seeded lower than us with a higher selection rate is #9 Louisville.

Of course, we fall off a lot in the second round, given Syracuse as the likely opponent, but pick back up if we make it to the regional.

Gonzaga has a good reputation, and doggone it, people LIKE us.

GonzagaSwagga
03-16-2010, 11:08 AM
We are being picked at a higher percentage in that game than #4 Purdue, #5 Temple, #6 Xavier and all the #7s (BYU, Richmond, Clemson, and Ok State), plus all the other #8s (Texas, UNLV, and Cal).

Gonzaga has a good reputation, and doggone it, people LIKE us.

Good info. We are the People's Champion :D