PDA

View Full Version : Oh, and those No. 8 seeds.

Ekrub
03-15-2010, 03:43 PM
4. Oh, and those No. 8 seeds. This is partially covered in note No. 1 about the South, but look at these No. 8 seeds: California, Texas, UNLV and ... Gonzaga? One of these things is not like the other. Hint: It's Gonzaga. Sure, the Bulldogs were badly beaten in their conference title game, thus making them an at-large bid at the committee's mercy. Sure, as with the bubble teams left out of the tournament, it's hard to feel too bad for any team that didn't handle its business in the closing stretches of the season. But Gonzaga, with an RPI of 36 and a nonconference record of 12-3 seems insanely underseeded here. That feeling is accentuated when you look at its peers on the No. 8 line. What makes the seeding even worse is that because the committee thought Duke deserved a higher No. 1 seed than Syracuse, the Dukies drew Cal, by far the most overseeded of the No. 8s, while the Cuse will play a talented, deep, athletic Bulldogs team led by an experienced tournament guard in Matt Bouldin. (Not to mention that Kansas might get UNLV and Kentucky could play a lifeless but undeniably talented Texas team.) Ouch.

http://sports.espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/tag/_/name/5-things-to-lovehate

zag944
03-15-2010, 03:52 PM
we recieved 604 votes between the two polls that came out today. Texas got 2. The other two 8 seeds got none.

BJZags
03-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Seems to me, if all that is true, and in fact means something, than the Zags will easily dispatch FSU, and have a great opportunity to beat the "lowest" of the one-seeds who are currently without their big man.

MJ777
03-15-2010, 04:03 PM
I saw something somewhere that said that the #1s have not missed the Sw 16 in the last five years. Sounds like they are way overdue.

Go Zags; Beat FSU!

krozman
03-15-2010, 04:32 PM
I like Gonzaga against Syracuse better than I like them against our first opponent actually. All about those matchups..

MedZag
03-15-2010, 04:47 PM
I go back and forth on this team. The Gonzaga of the WCC tourney final is an 8 seed. The Gonzaga that started 13-3 is a 3-4 seed. They've shown at times the mental fortitude to run a gauntlet of tough games in a row. Other times, they can't put away a team that they should.

I don't like their thin margin of error this year. But I don't know if that's just the bad taste in my mouth from the SMC whalloping talking.

Reborn
03-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Actually Louisville is also a pretty good 9 seed with a great coach. I would love to see them knock off Duke.

If Gonzaga is as good as we think they will handle Florida St. Friday. Beating Syracuse will be a whole different matter, but let's get past Syracuse first.

229SintoZag
03-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Beating Syracuse will be a whole different matter, but let's get past Syracuse first.

let me guess--you're related to Yogi Berra?