PDA

View Full Version : Let's look at it this way....

GUZagDenver
03-15-2010, 01:30 PM
This may be a little far-fetched, but it's March Madness, so what the h&ll...

If our team shows up and plays the way that we all know they can, us winning two games in 3 days is NOT out of the question. I don't think people should let the numbers in front of the school names scare them. FSU lost 2 of their last 4 games. This is the same Syracuse team that lost to LeMoyne in the pre-season, and just lost their center and one of their leaders. If this was a tournament being played in late December, I don't think anyone would be panicking as much as we are. In fact, when you look at this in a big-picture sort of way (winning the national championship is the ultimate goal right??), we might have the easiest road of anyone. What if we come out on fire in the first weekend and win 2 games? Look at the match-ups we would have in the 2nd weekend!! There is not a single team down there that scares me. Seriously. Our first weekend could be the hardest until the Final 4.

I'm telling you guys, forget the WCC tournament. We usually step-up in big games, and we got a good match-ups. FSU can't guard the three and SU isn't healthy. We may show-up against FSU and lay an egg, but I just don't see it. If Bouldin, Gray, and Kong get hot from 3, it could be a lights out for the weekend. We could carry that from FSU right to SU's 2-3 zone.

I may be drinking kool-aid, but March is just too exciting and cool to be worrying about seeding/locations. We play teams like this all of the time, and beat them all of the time. If we want to win it all, we have to get by SU. Why not get them when their big man is hurting??

Let's do this.......

bullzag23
03-15-2010, 01:35 PM
This may be a little far-fetched, but it's March Madness, so what the h&ll...

If our team shows up and plays the way that we all know they can, us winning two games in 3 days is NOT out of the question. I don't think people should let the numbers in front of the school names scare them. FSU lost 2 of their last 4 games. This is the same Syracuse team that lost to LeMoyne in the pre-season, and just lost their center and one of their leaders. If this was a tournament being played in late December, I don't think anyone would be panicking as much as we are. In fact, when you look at this in a big-picture sort of way (winning the national championship is the ultimate goal right??), we might have the easiest road of anyone. What if we come out on fire in the first weekend and win 2 games? Look at the match-ups we would have in the 2nd weekend!! There is not a single team down there that scares me. Seriously. Our first weekend could be the hardest until the Final 4.

I'm telling you guys, forget the WCC tournament. We usually step-up in big games, and we got a good match-ups. FSU can't guard the three and SU isn't healthy. We may show-up against FSU and lay an egg, but I just don't see it. If Bouldin, Gray, and Kong get hot from 3, it could be a lights out for the weekend. We could carry that from FSU right to SU's 2-3 zone.

I may be drinking kool-aid, but March is just too exciting and cool to be worrying about seeding/locations. We play teams like this all of the time, and beat them all of the time. If we want to win it all, we have to get by SU. Why not get them when their big man is hurting??

Let's do this.......

Not sure why I'm using this as a positive, but Kenpom gives us a 32% chance of winning against FSU, the lower seeded team. If there's anything that lights this GU team up, it's being told what they can't do. GO ZAGS!

GonzagaSwagga
03-15-2010, 01:36 PM
I can dig it. Beat a #1 seed early and you adopt their path to Indy, but i'm just gonna worry about a hungry #9 seed first.

It would be awesome if the two best mid-majors in the country (Gonzaga & Butler) went head to head in the Sweet 16.

sharpzag
03-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Agreed. Also, if we are going to make it to the final four, it is easier to play a 1 seed in the second round because the 1 seed will have all the pressure on their shoulders to not choke in the first weekend. Plus, Syracuse will not have had a week to prepare for Gonzaga, and will have extra motivation after listening to people say that now that Elias Harris and Steven Gray are playing well GU might just win this game! Syracuse will be the heavy favorite. If Gonzaga comes out hot and stays in the game Syracuse is going to start feeling a ton of pressure.

whatazag
03-15-2010, 02:38 PM
These simulations don't like our chances either:
http://www.whatifsports.com/BracketPreview/MarchMadness/2010/

zag944
03-15-2010, 02:53 PM
interesting.

maybe im a glass half empty guy, but when you get past the first weekend there are no "good" paths. Teams stop being seeds and start being teams that have "gotten this far".

Butler/Vandy/etc wont be easy for us/Cuse/Florida St. at all. Hell, their pod also gets an extra day of rest and a shorter plane trip to Salt Lake for what that is worth.

last year we got excellent games from a 12 and a 13. Im hard pressed to find a matchup that DOESNT scare me.

snebzag
03-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Denver, read this earlier today and didn't have time to respond. Seems like most people left it in the dust. I like it. Makes perfect sense. This is the hardest weekend. Get through it and K-State at the bottom is the best team. FSU will be tough, but win that one and the positive momentum starts to roll and the kids believe. A game against syracuse will be a home game for them, but who knows. My kool-aid taste like beer, but its good and cold. Nice outside the box thinking.

SunDevilGolfZag
03-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Denver, read this earlier today and didn't have time to respond. Seems like most people left it in the dust. I like it. Makes perfect sense. This is the hardest weekend. Get through it and K-State at the bottom is the best team. FSU will be tough, but win that one and the positive momentum starts to roll and the kids believe. A game against syracuse will be a home game for them, but who knows. My kool-aid taste like beer, but its good and cold. Nice outside the box thinking.

+1 totally agree

GUZagDenver
03-16-2010, 07:35 AM
interesting.

maybe im a glass half empty guy, but when you get past the first weekend there are no "good" paths. Teams stop being seeds and start being teams that have "gotten this far".

Butler/Vandy/etc wont be easy for us/Cuse/Florida St. at all. Hell, their pod also gets an extra day of rest and a shorter plane trip to Salt Lake for what that is worth.

last year we got excellent games from a 12 and a 13. Im hard pressed to find a matchup that DOESNT scare me.

I wasn't really saying that we had an easy path, just easier than the first weekend, and probably easier than the road in any of the other regions.