PDA

View Full Version : Does the committee hate Spokane?

gu03alum
03-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Caution: This is a rant. Stop reading now if you don't want to hear someone complaining.

I am still very upset about the selections process this year. Not only did they make it nearly impossible for a Spokane Gonzaga fan to watch the game in person by putting it in Buffalo, but if you are attending the tournament here you can't watch the game on TV either. They have Gonzaga playing at the exact same time as the Michigan State vs New Mexico State game. I don't know what to do now. I spent nearly $400 on two tickets. I know it's a sunk cost at this point, but I really was excited to go to my first NCAA tournamant game. Why doesn't the committee think about these kinds of scheduling conflicts? They pander to BYU fans by making sure they don't play on Sunday. Why don't they do that for the Catholic schools too? Last time I checked, Sunday is supposed to be for God in the Catholic bible too.

Another problem is that all four games appear to be right after each other. There is maybe 20 minutes of time between the first session and the second session. I love basketball a lot, but it's going to be very difficult to sit in the Spokane Arena from 11:30 until almost 9. That's 9.5 hours for those of you who are poor at math. It looks like I'll be eating lunch and dinner at the arena.

Don't even get me started with the boring matchups they gave us.

cbbfanatic
03-15-2010, 11:15 AM
it's a conspiracy... no doubt.

seriously though, do you HONESTLY expect the committee to take scheduling to the level of detail where they have a team like gonzaga play at a different time than games are being played in their home market?

seems like asking a lot, to be honest. why should the committee really care about that? i mean, we're talking about an 11-12k person arena (of which not 100% of attendees will be local) in a market of what, 500k people? its not that big of an impact if some people have to choose between zags on tv and msu in the arena.

the ncaa world does not revolve around gonzaga

75Zag
03-15-2010, 11:18 AM
I think if you look at your tickets you will see that there are two sessions on Friday (each with 2 games) and one session on Sunday (two games). You don't have to sit in the Arena all day on Friday. Hopefully there is still a bar in the old Flour Mill complex (ClinkerDagger's was there in my day) so you can go drink heavily between sessions.

Also, there are two "ee"s at the end of Committee. Just so you don't sully the reputation of the GU English Department.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

gu03alum
03-15-2010, 11:20 AM
it's a conspiracy... no doubt.

seriously though, do you HONESTLY expect the committee to take scheduling to the level of detail where they have a team like gonzaga play at a different time than games are being played in their home market?

seems like asking a lot, to be honest. why should the committee really care about that? i mean, we're talking about an 11-12k person arena (of which not 100% of attendees will be local) in a market of what, 500k people? its not that big of an impact if some people have to choose between zags on tv and msu in the arena.

If they can accommodate BYU why not Gonzaga? How hard would it be to say that schools that have tournament games in their hometown will not play on the same days?

gu03alum
03-15-2010, 11:24 AM
I think if you look at your tickets you will see that there are two sessions on Friday (each with 2 games) and one session on Sunday (two games). You don't have to sit in the Arena all day on Friday. Hopefully there is still a bar in the old Flour Mill complex (ClinkerDagger's was there in my day) so you can go drink heavily between sessions.

Also, there are two "ee"s at the end of Committee. Just so you don't sully the reputation of the GU English Department.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

I can't believe I misspelled Committee. That's embarrassing.

Friday's first session ends at approximately 4 and the second session is scheduled to begin at 4:20. That's definitely not enough time to get a drink at the flour mill.

cbbfanatic
03-15-2010, 11:25 AM
it might not be all that difficult (though it might, with all the other scheduling rules they have), but i think the point is that it does not have an impact on the vast majority of people out there. why bend over backward to accommodate such a small #?

its unfortunate, no doubt, but not that big of a deal in my opinion

BYU's issue is a little different, they refuse to play on Sunday for stringent religious reasons. If mark few said he refused to play on the same day as spokane site days, the committee would laugh.

and catholics arent that strict on the whole "no working on sundays" thing. sure, its a holy day for worship, but they dont take it to the same extent as mormons.

B-hamZag
03-15-2010, 11:29 AM
So between sessions dont they clear out the arena? So on Friday you could go to the first session, leave when they clear it and go watch the zags game, then come back for the second game in the second session (maryland vs houston)? That way you would only miss one game. Can you do that?

cbbfanatic
03-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Friday's first session ends at approximately 4 and the second session is scheduled to begin at 4:20. That's definitely not enough time to get a drink at the flour mill.

is that for real? wow, that definitely sucks. that would have to be due to TV implications. the first session ending around 4 is unavoidable, probably start around 11-1130 (cant go any earlier really), with 20-30 minutes between games. the second session starting so quickly tells me that CBS doesnt see any "primetime" matchups in the spokane region. this is probably a reality with having games there, it will almost always be a "leftover" type site. i mean, how many teams that are EVER (not annually) in contention for protected seeds would have spokane as their top destination? 3, maybe 4?

cbbfanatic
03-15-2010, 11:31 AM
So between sessions dont they clear out the arena? So on Friday you could go to the first session, leave when they clear it and go watch the zags game, then come back for the second game in the second session (maryland vs houston)? That way you would only miss one game. Can you do that?

two separate tickets for two separate sessions... so of course, you can definitely show up late for the second session.

LongIslandZagFan
03-15-2010, 11:34 AM
I can't believe I misspelled Committee. That's embarrassing.

Unless the last game of session 1 is close, I recommend the following:

Skip out on the end of game 2 session 1 (again, barring a very close game)... high tail it across the parking lot at Spokane Arena to the Viking Tavern... order food and drinks stat (I recommend a trial run the night before to know your order). Consume good food... pound good beer... order another good beer... pound second beer (3rd is optional)... high tail it back to the arena and it should be a few minutes into the 1st game of session 2.

You can thank me for the advice by buying a good beer at the Viking when I am there at the end of the month. :D

ridgebackzag
03-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Caution: This is a rant. Stop reading now if you don't want to hear someone complaining.

I am still very upset about the selections process this year. Not only did they make it nearly impossible for a Spokane Gonzaga fan to watch the game in person by putting it in Buffalo, but if you are attending the tournament here you can't watch the game on TV either. They have Gonzaga playing at the exact same time as the Michigan State vs New Mexico State game. I don't know what to do now. I spent nearly $400 on two tickets. I know it's a sunk cost at this point, but I really was excited to go to my first NCAA tournamant game. Why doesn't the committee think about these kinds of scheduling conflicts? They pander to BYU fans by making sure they don't play on Sunday. Why don't they do that for the Catholic schools too? Last time I checked, Sunday is supposed to be for God in the Catholic bible too.

Another problem is that all four games appear to be right after each other. There is maybe 20 minutes of time between the first session and the second session. I love basketball a lot, but it's going to be very difficult to sit in the Spokane Arena from 11:30 until almost 9. That's 9.5 hours for those of you who are poor at math. It looks like I'll be eating lunch and dinner at the arena.

Don't even get me started with the boring matchups they gave us.

If you have per session tickets, craigslist is your friend. You might be able to find someone wanting to swap session tickets. Just a thought. ;)

Zagpower
03-15-2010, 11:36 AM

I'm guessing hundreds if not a few thousand will do just that. Should be a mad rush at the nearby bars.

I'm going to head home after the first session and then decide after the Zag game if I want to trek back down or just watch on tv. Usually staying home wins. :D

It's too bad it worked out that way as the two best games they gave us imo are the two later games.

cjm720
03-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Seems like an easy decision: miss the MSU vs. NMS game. Would you have bought tix if you knew GU would not be in Spokane? Sunk cost, and a nice gift to a non-die hard zag friend.

Section 116
03-15-2010, 11:46 AM
What B-Ham Zag said is what I'm going to do. The last time the NCAA's first and second rounds were in Spokane there was about a one hour break plus between sessions which gave me time to clear out, get a bite to eat and head back just a few minutes into the first game of the second session. Luckily I don't live too far from the arena so I'll probably head home and watch the Zags, and then back to the arena. One key will be parking so you can get close enough to clear out in a hurry and head back and park close again. I suggest using the Spokane county parking lots for the second session. The lots are just 2 blocks west of the arena. You can park there after 5 for free and if you get there between 4 and 5 you can slug the meters for one hour in the public lots and park the rest of the time for free. There is no meter enforcement after about 4:30 to 5:00pm as the guy who write the tickets is getting ready to call it a day. I know because I know the guy who writes the tickets. I use the county lots all the time for events at the Arena. Of bigger concern to me is what if the Zags win the first game and then what time will they play on Sunday!

LynetteG
03-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Oh F^*&!!! How are we supposed to watch the game? UGHHHHHHHHH

bartruff1
03-15-2010, 02:26 PM
The Gonzaga site sez the game is on CBS at around 4 ....they have always been up to date...don't worry, be happy...

ronh_pm
03-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Quick question.

How many LDS' (hope I have that right) on BYU compared to Catholics on Gonzaga?

75Zag
03-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Quick question.

How many LDS' (hope I have that right) on BYU compared to Catholics on Gonzaga?

I doubt it matters who or how many object so long as the BYU school administration decides in advance that the team will not be permitted to play on Sunday no matter what. I have no problem with the NCAA accommodating that request.

My baby sister converted to LDS many years ago and will - according to my mother - burn in hell for it. But as long as we are on the subject, it is my general understanding that LDS folks wear some sort of secret underwear that they can never remove no matter what. I have absolutely no idea of the details, but every time I watch BYU play, I watch carefully to see what sort of golden garment peaks out from the edge of the BYU player's jerseys. No luck spotting it yet, but I will keep watching in order to keep my mother informed.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

GoZAGsMang
03-15-2010, 03:40 PM
The committee didnt put GU in Buffalo, GU put GU in Buffalo.

The committee wanted GU to play in Spokane and they wanted you to go to it.

You have tickets in Spokane - that is a good thing not a bad thing.

Just sell that sessions ticket and watch the ZAGs(good and good)

Or better yet give your tickets away to a fan who promises to bring an "Omar is a Punk sign". I know he wont be in Spokane but the sentiment never hurts.

Or if you just want it all, go to the game and watch the GU game on one of the many monitors.

Or, I couldnt do it, and I wouldnt advise it, but you could tape game.

Turn that frown upside down and enjoy the magic that is March Madness.

And one more thing,

GoZAGsMang

ronh_pm
03-15-2010, 03:48 PM
I doubt it matters who or how many object so long as the BYU school administration decides in advance that the team will not be permitted to play on Sunday no matter what. I have no problem with the NCAA accommodating that request.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Even if it knocks the Zags from a seven to an eight and playing in Buffalo instead of OKC to accomodate thier "beliefs"?

I get the idea but to create brackets around when and when they cant play is nonsense.

Just saying.

mgadfly
03-15-2010, 05:03 PM
in a market of what, 500k people?

Yeah, but the 10k people buying tickets to a basketball event are the 10k fans of the sports in that 500k market (or is everybody required to be a basketball fan?). Why not try to accommodate the fans that are willing to shell out the extra cash to purchase a ticket?

Second, the NCAA world doesn't revolve around GU, but it SHOULD try to accommodate the few teams from near the host cities. We aren't talking about a major inconvenience.

And all it would have taken was switching GU and UNLV.

BlueVoodoo07
03-15-2010, 05:30 PM
I know they got a #11 seed but how the hell did UW get San Jose, it seems like they should be taking a trip across the country. Not just down the coast.

NorthoftheBorder
03-15-2010, 05:38 PM
I went to the first and round games when they were in Spokane a few years back and there was definitely NOT one hour between games. There was about 30 minutes.

The fans at the first session had to leave as fast as they could and then immediately get back in line to get back in. The second session has already started before most of the fans could get back into their seats.

I don't know why they schedule the sessions so close together when they have to clear the arena in between.

LynetteG
03-15-2010, 05:55 PM
it is my general understanding that LDS folks wear some sort of secret underwear that they can never remove no matter what.

I can verify the secret underwear!! I am not LDS but I did my echo rotation in SLC and since I need access to ultrasound the heart, viola, I need to get them out of the underwear. Basically they are like underarmor garments, very thin and lightweight. The shirts are usually V neck and short sleeved. They have symbols sewn on over the right and left breast. These are the symbols from being indoctrinated (not sure if that's the right word, but basically it's like Catholic vows). Now, as the underwear get worn, they can buy new ones, BUT they cannot get new symbols, so the old ones are removed and put on the new ones. The pants are like shorts, same material, and go to about upper/mid thigh. I could always see the outline of them underneath regular pants. They are white in color, fyi.

Bocco
03-15-2010, 06:20 PM
I don't know why they schedule the sessions so close together when they have to clear the arena in between.

TV!!! TV!!!! TV!!! TV!!!!!

The tickets for each individual school are on a per session basis. In order to get all the fans from the first session school's out of the arena everyone has to leave. Those with tickets to both sessions once they have left have to get in line and once the arena staff has verified everyone from the previous session has left the start allowing everyone with session two tickets back in. It is almost impossible to leave and get back in before tip off of the first game of the second session. Unfortunately the NCAA and CBS could give a #### about fans who purchased tickets to see the game in person, it's all geared to the TV audience.

So gu03 take everyone's advice and find somewhere (Viking) close by to watch the GU game and when it's over go back for what is remaining of the games in the arena.

Jedster
03-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Unless the last game of session 1 is close, I recommend the following:

Skip out on the end of game 2 session 1 (again, barring a very close game)... high tail it across the parking lot at Spokane Arena to the Viking Tavern... order food and drinks stat (I recommend a trial run the night before to know your order). Consume good food... pound good beer... order another good beer... pound second beer (3rd is optional)... high tail it back to the arena and it should be a few minutes into the 1st game of session 2.

You can thank me for the advice by buying a good beer at the Viking when I am there at the end of the month. :D

This is going to be my plan of attack! If you're at the game, I'll be the one racing down the stairs to beat the crowd across the street at around the 5 minute mark of a 1 point game. Then I'll be the one in the second session who has to get up six times to use the restroom because I will take advantage of the optional 3rd beer! :)

I too am torn about missing the GU game. We'll have to see how things go. Perhaps my wife will be ready to sit on a bar stool instead of arena seats by then and we can skip the 3rd game.

B Wayne
03-15-2010, 06:34 PM
To answer an earlier question, BYU is attended by over 95% LDS members. Jim McMahon was definitely one of the exceptions.

I'd estimate Gonzaga is attended by little over 50% Catholics.

The percentages aren't even close.

lothar98zag
03-15-2010, 07:27 PM
The arena is sold out. GU overlapping the Spokane games doesn't cost the NCAA much besides maybe a little in T-shirt sales.

If it could make them more money, they'd find out a way to make sure the games didn't overlap.

willandi
03-15-2010, 07:29 PM
The Viking takes orders on line, and will reserve tables (not sure about during this weekend tho).

Buy a small TV and watch the Zags while at the game.

There are LDS in professional sports that play on Sundays. It hasn't killed them.