PDA

View Full Version : Luke Winn Gonazaga/Bouldin References

ID ZAGFAN
03-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Got alerted to this by Matt's twitter. mattbouldin15
Check out what luke winn wrote on his si.com blog about my kicks...little somethin you might not know
about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

http://tourney.si.com/2010/03/15/bracket-musings-selection-sunday-edition/

• The West Region has one of the toughest 8-9 matchups in recent memory, pitting Florida State, the No. 1 overall team in defensive efficiency, against Gonzaga, which didn’t deserve to be anything lower than a 7 seed. The game will come down to whether Zags guards Matt Bouldin and Steven Gray (and to a lesser degree, forward Elias Harris) can hit threes, because the Seminoles’ 7-foot-1 center, Solomon Alabi, doesn’t allow anything to happen inside the paint.

Matt Bouldin's shoes.

• That 8-9 game also features the only player in the tournament (or at least he “guarantees” us he’s the only one) with an Allman Brothers song referenced on his shoes. Matt Bouldin’s Nike Kobe IVs have “SOULSHINE” printed on the side, in honor of the power ballad from 1994.

Bouldin gives his sister, Brittany, the credit for turning him on to the Allmans when he was younger. “The words — ‘Let your soul shine, it’s better than moonshine, it’s better than sunshine’ — might be be cheesy, but me and my sister have been using that ever since I’ve been in high school,” he said. “I’ve written it on all my shoes since then, but this was the first time I had them custom-made.”

There is a pic of Matt's shoes and a link to the song on Winn's blog.

(It’s a good thing that the Bouldins’ favorite Allman tune isn’t In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. Matt would need Shaq-sized kicks to make that fit.)

Also some interesting comments about the brackets.

ID ZAGFAN

ZagNative
03-15-2010, 12:19 PM
I liked that story. Thanks IZF!

Come to Gonzaga, young man, and have Nike lined up to custom-make the shoe of your dreams!

MDABE80
03-15-2010, 12:32 PM
We shoot over em. Few must devise a strategy to set lots of screens and have Matt and Steven pour some points in. BK should do well too. ELias is throwing three's at an unprecented clip. We can win this....strategy and tactics will be key. We can run with anyone even though it doesn't sound like FSU have much of a transitional game. They win with defense...so we go back to the old offense that scores in bucketfulls!!

Houston Zag
03-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Awesome. I now have additional respect for Matt knowing he is down with the Allman Brother's Band. I hope he helps to tie FSU to the "whipping post". :lmao:

Hoopaholic
03-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Florida State seems to be defensive oriented based upon their big boy as the "cleanup of the middle".....however when matched up against us I see some serious matchup issues for FS that they will have to overcome

so how will this "big guy" guard KO when he is inserted into the lineup opposite Harris? Will the big guy come out and contest the nice jumper of KO or will he allow KO to shoot the long ball? Will they switch the big guy over to Harris, thus allowing Harris to take him off the dribble?

Will should get some "pounding" time in this game, soften the "big boy" up physically......

The question for Florida State is what are they going to do when they HAVE to give their "stud" a rest....we simply go deeper off the bench....

We matchup nicely defensively with them, but we create other matchup issues for them when we are on offense....Bouldin off the dribble, Gray spotting up...

Meech has been taking care of the ball lately and I do not anticipate another 9 turnover game between our two studs Bouldin and Gray as we saw in Vegas.......

I have watched the grumbling, complaints ect but me personally I like this matchup..gives us a good game to 're-establish" our game both on the defensive and offensive end of things, get out and run off of turnovers and get us in good mindset.

I also happen to believe in facing the #1 seed early is better philosophy..once the top dogs start moving closer to the final fours, the more difficult they get mindset wise is my opinion.......

I am excited and glad the tournament is on our doorstep.....time to play hoops ....

zagsmyboys
03-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Great story! It is funny what some people do because of superstition!! Everyday on my way to and from work I drive by the McCarthy Athletic stadium and blow each starting player a kiss. I have done it for some time now! My family thinks I am crazy..and that's okay!!

Here is the link Matt posted on his Twitter!

mattbouldin15

If u had a hard time finding it...
http://tourney.si.com/2010/03/15/bracket-musings-selection-sunday-edition/