PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few Show on the NCAA's

Section 116
03-15-2010, 10:36 AM
These are my notes on the March 14, 2010 pre NCAA tournament show with Tom Hudson and Mark Few. Hudson opened by noting he was filling in for Greg Heister who is covering the Iditarod. Few noted it was nice to have a host in dress shoes rather than a suit and sneakers.

Hudson asked Few his intial thought when GU was revealed on the board. Few said, "PRIDE"! Few said this is an exclusive club when you see you name revealed on the brackets. He noted threre is no UNC, UConn, AZ or UCLA this year which is indicative of the difficulty of being among the 65. He observed the Zags were now tied for 4th with Texas for consecutive appearances behind Kansas, Duke and Mich. St. Hudson asked about Fla. St. and Few said the first thing that jumped out was FSU's defensive field goal percentage.

Next Hudson asked if Few was concerned about the seeding this year as many thought the Zags would be a bit higher. Few replied when he was a younger coach back on 2002, with Dickau, he got caught up in the seeding thing and my team reflected that, resulting in the upset loss to Wyoming. He said the time of the game is actually more important, for instance the early Davidson game in their back yard, although he noted there is no one resembling Curry on FSU's squad. Few also said if you aren't a one or two seed this year, you better bring your "A" game because anyone seeded 3-14 can beat anyone else due to the parity this year. Hudson asked about Matt and Few said he was fine and he had a phenominal year, he led us to another WCC championship, he'll go down as one of the all time great Zags. I'm not worried about him.

The fan question was from Ralph in El Centro, CA who wanted to know how you prepare a team for an opponent in just 4-5 days, especially one you haven't seen before. Few said that was a good question and as a matter of fact our guys (Asst. Coaches) are upstairs (the show was from the Herak Room in the MAC) right now reviewing film and by practice time tomorrow (Monday) we will be ready with a review of FSU. By gametime with FSU our guys will be as prepared for FSU as they were for any opponent they faced this year. Few said one of the reasons GU schedules like it does each year is because of the preparation it gives for the tournament. The quick turnarounds, like Illinois and Memphis, games with neutral officials, that's why we schedule the way we do. Hudson asked about the loss of Manny. Few said first it's tough from an emotional side, he plays all year for a chance to play in these upcoming games and he can't play. From a basketball side we'll miss his energy and rebounding. Just prior to the commercial break Few said the most imprssive thing about GU the past dozen season is qualifying for the NCAA's each year.

After the break there were a few interviews from the MAC with Olynyk, Gray and Bouldin relating the standard stuff, we haven't seen "em" play, they are tough defensively, we'll be ready, etc. etc. etc.

In closing Few noted Gray's display of toughness at the WCC tournament saying when Gray took the spill literally in front of Few, he was sure Gray broke an elbow at the least. Then he ripped back some fingernails on the backboard and he comes in and drains a three. Steven had a great year, his scoring may have been off a bit, but his defense, shooting, whatever we needed Steven supplied it.

GO ZAGS!

whatazag
03-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the recap.

El Voce
03-15-2010, 11:59 AM
I would imagine that ZagNative had to reach for the vapors last night when she saw HuddyBuddy in place of Heister.:)

ZagNative
03-15-2010, 12:13 PM
I would imagine that ZagNative had to reach for the vapors last night when she saw HuddyBuddy in place of Heister.:)I actually missed that show last night and so am looking forward to getting a second crack at the show when it airs on SWX tonight at 7:00 (115 Comcast in Spokane).

HuddyBuddy cleans up real nice, don't he? I was able to see him all spiffed up and shiny in video on KHQ yesterday (http://www.swxrightnow.com/Global/category.asp?C=160222&clipId=4620769&topVideoCatNo=155153&autoStart=true) talking about the selection.

However, HuddyBuddy without Richard Fox is a little like Butch Cassidy without the Sundance Kid, IMO.

P.S. Does Tom Hudson's voice and speaking mannerism remind anyone else of Dan Akroyd's?