PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few on Jim Rome radio show

sullyzag66
03-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Just heard Jim Rome say he would have Mark Few on next hour: that would be the 11:00 AM hour, Monday, 3/15/10.

gamagin
03-15-2010, 09:38 AM
in past interviews, much of the chat was about fishing.

sullyzag66
03-15-2010, 09:45 AM
in past interviews, much of the chat was about fishing.
True. Wonder how the ice fishing is in Buffalo these days?

sullyzag66
03-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Scheduled for 11:20 AM.

rawkmandale
03-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Which radio channel is Rome on?

gamagin
03-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Which radio channel is Rome on?

spokane radio am 1510

gamagin
03-15-2010, 10:26 AM
how like where you put?

MF: overwhelming feeling was pride. this is our 12th straight NCAA -- 4th longest streak behind kn duke MSU. Lots of good teams are out. ariz lost streak at 25. to me it's a blessing to be in it. I don't care whre we go or who we play, glad to be in it.

re 4 starters gone ?
MF: no question. not many realize that. outside UNC we lost more than anyone out there. lost four starters who were on the NBA radar. in camps, on draft boards and they are all playing pro now. That is alot. the first practice, to say the streak was in jeopardy wouldhave been quite an undertatement.

Re SMC:

MF: 1st tip hat to smc. if you go back and look at these conf tourneys. there are only 2-3 that went in #1 and went ahead and won. Said before thetourney we're going to learn how tough they are. human nature when one is in and the other is fighting for his life. thought smc played with a sense of desparation and they made baskets and we missed or to'd. soon down by 12-13. they deserved to be in, so one of those games.

Is tourney in the back of their minds ?
MF: not necessarily that. it's human nature, if your not fighting for your lives, they've been incredible, tourneys. the other team's desparation -- that's why you gotta look at kansas, duke, even butler, coach cal at kentucky -- those are accomplishments, to do that in that environment. we've done it 3-4 times, but not this time. People don't realize how young and inexperienced guys we have, either.

we're going to have to handle that better than the champ tourney.

MF: what about syracuse ? a week ago they had only one loss. they deserve the #1 seed.

re fsu defense ?
MF: doesn't seem like its poss, but try and speed em up, score i nthe 70's. shoot on our terms and try and stop their scoring at the other end. they seem comfortable in the grinders. so we gotta stop them.

re expanding the tourney numbers ?
MF: if ucla, unc, indiana, uconn and ariz, you should have a special, special feeling when your name pops up. to be honest, i haven't missed it yet. if we miss it a couple years in a row, i might be leading the parade to make it 96. but not now.

MJ777
03-15-2010, 10:39 AM
how like where you put?

MF: overwhelming feeling was pride. this is our 12th straight NCAA -- 4th longest streak behind kn duke MSU. Lots of good teams are out. ariz lost streak at 25. to me it's a blessing to be in it. I don't care whre we go or who we play, glad to be in it.

re 4 starters gone ?
MF: no question. not many realize that. outside UNC we lost more than anyone out there. lost four starters who were on the NBA radar. in camps, on draft boards and they are all playing pro now. That is alot. the first practice, to say the streak was in jeopardy wouldhave been quite an undertatement.

Re SMC:

MF: 1st tip hat to smc. if you go back and look at these conf tourneys. there are only 2-3 that went in #1 and went ahead and won. Said before thetourney we're going to learn how tough they are. human nature when one is in and the other is fighting for his life. thought smc played with a sense of desparation and they made baskets and we missed or to'd. soon down by 12-13. they deserved to be in, so one of those games.

Is tourney in the back of their minds ?
MF: not necessarily that. it's human nature, if your not fighting for your lives, they've been incredible, tourneys. the other team's desparation -- that's why you gotta look at kansas, duke, even butler, coach cal at kentucky -- those are accomplishments, to do that in that environment. we've done it 3-4 times, but not this time. People don't realize how young and inexperienced guys we have, either.

we're going to have to handle that better than the champ tourney.

MF: what about syracuse ? a week ago they had only one loss. they deserve the #1 seed.

re fsu defense ?
MF: doesn't seem like its poss, but try and speed em up, score i nthe 70's. shoot on our terms and try and stop their scoring at the other end. they seem comfortable in the grinders. so we gotta stop them.

re expanding the tourney numbers ?
MF: if ucla, unc, indiana, uconn and ariz, you should have a special, special feeling when your name pops up. to be honest, i haven't missed it yet. if we miss it a couple years in a row, i might be leading the parade to make it 96. but not now.

Great recall gamagin. It was a good interview from what I could hear as my wife called me in the middle of it.

That is an amazing list of elite College BB schools that the Zags have lost to in past tournies (1 and 1 against IU). Some of those losses were more painful than others. :mecry:

75Zag
03-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Mark Few represents Gonzaga so well. A well spoken gentleman.

I did think he side-stepped the question on his thoughts re: the GU collapse during the WCC Championship game. Those of us watching the game saw GU fold like a cheap WalMart tent on the summit of Mt. Everest, but Mark seemed so calm and accepting as he described the disaster. O Well, the past is the past.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

ZagNative
03-15-2010, 11:00 AM
The regular weekly Mark Few Show with Tom Hudson is on KGA right now.

gamagin
03-15-2010, 11:10 AM
TH: your happy to be in the dance ?
#repeat pride quote from rome. we're not done and happy, but wow.

th: great to be close to home, but something to be said about getting away?
MF: it would have been an awesome reward for the fans, loyalty, how support and respect our guys. feel bad about that. . but also felt with this team, there's a danger of everyone thnking auto advance to sweet 16. even though its neutral, site and offiicials, along with that ego, and the possible situation in which you get into a home court advantage situation. in some instances don't mind getting sent out of the region. so we prepare.

th: fsu 9th seed. give us everything we want.
MF: #1 def fg % in the naiton. keep score down to 50-60 pts. long and athletic, shot blockers and great player singleton, etc. huge challenge. we were going to have that no matter what seed.

th: at some point this is about playing basketball and dosnt matter what # ?
mf: not at all. a 1 or 2, after that, is your in a 4-13 game, look out., 5-12 game, that's the upset area. if not a 1-2 , you gotta be ready to roll.

gamagin
03-15-2010, 11:17 AM
th: ncaa new for this group ? how prepare ?
mf: kids nowadays are innovative. espn 1-2, they know how big it is and what it's all about. try to nake it normaql as possible. concepts re fsu introduced, good practice on tues, then fly off and have a walkthrough practrice and play.

th: turnournd prep is short, how's that work?
mf: assistants break it all down and communicate, having leon and tommy and ray is such an advantage i think i have the best in the nation. already seen the film, by practice tomorrow, film cued up and ready to watch. we've seen 3-4 films already.

th: re SMC loss, where you feel things are?
mf: didn't play very good, obviously, not happy. couple of good practices since. we've responded well to losses. hope that is the case here. going t be a huge challenge. what we bring to the tourney, mental and physical approaches are important, and we're going to fine tune it.

th: like the ida the guys are getting the rest time they need, or that they needed more rest after L.V. ?
mf: uh. yes and no. we took 2 days off and decided to go hard the last 3 days cuz felt we weren't a sharp as we should have been in L.V., so we're going to taper off going into friday.

gamagin
03-15-2010, 11:22 AM
th: gu comes off smc, losing manny, what does that do to your team. discuss.

mf: hard. personally feel for him. he's put in great effort all year. this was icing so i feel bad for him in that regard. It's an adjustment for our team. can see what he brings - energy, ability to get the basketball, even when out of position. we don't have a lot of guys who do that. he's the one that's his #1 skill. he was shooting well from the perimeter and he's the type of guy you don't hesitate putting him into a physiucal, hardnosed situation. he performed wel.

challenge is get the others to pick up the slack.

hud: who
MF: bol more minutes. KO gets more minutes. slide GJ or GG kind of depends on the game. Hard to say.

H: accilimation time in Buffalo ?
MF: yeaha, much better than the 9a start. but obviously its easier its later in the day.

th: MB, his season winding down, you leaning on him ?
mf: this tourny is not going to come down to matt, but if the opportunity arises, i hope he does great. they are going to try and take him away, so everyone else is going to have to step up. lately its been jam matt & trhe lane, but i think if you want your seniors to show and use their experience to help the others and i think matt will do that for us.

Section 116
03-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks Gamagin, lotta info there that wasn't on the Mark Few TV show last night. I didn't know Few was on the Rome show today and you covered it well!

gamagin
03-15-2010, 11:44 AM
th: ad Mike Roth new guest. buffalo call ? and beyond ?
roth: still in. positive. others would like to be where we are. gotta go back and get after fsu and see what happens. long ways, a little more difficult. it will be intereting.

th: what expect gu crowd to be like in buffalo ?
roth: thus far, limited. probably the smallest crowd we've had. I'm predicting that. air connections are difficult. Southwest doesn't fly there. so we're looking at a relatively small contingent so far. still a few days to go.

th: still in the west, if we win two in NY, its SLC.
roth: absolutely. we'd have a great contingent if we can do that and make it to SLC. Everything would change.

th: tix availability.
roth: absolutely. we're selling now to bd Club members and alums. good chance we'll be opening up to the public and will let them know soon.

th: what do you see syracuse vs. vermont.
MF: It's tought. not going to say its great. we cross the country and arirve in their back yard. it's tough. you can't control iit so try not to put much energy into it. Cuse is really good, zon difficult to go against. it helps them, they can prep by going into the zone. people have to adapt to them. thats what we have to do. odd matchup. close to vermont, too. baffling to me.

theres so much stuff (in the ncaa) they can't keep it straight . . .

th: rest of the bracket how you see ?
mf: intriguing matchups. spokane has some great teams. bunch of good friends coming to spokane -- tex a & m, Izzo, stu morrill. quite a crew. sienna looking good and shooting well, too.

th: if we weren't in buff we could see alot of good games in spokane.
mf: yes. the number 1's are dominant and have been all year.

but re: the selections for places like spokane . . . . alot comes down to the crazy rpi and sometimes it falls your way and sometimes not. ours dropped tremendusly. our losses. those (WCC) teams didn't do well in the non league. they were playing better than their rpi showed late in the season. but that's the way it goes. so team up and play them.

gamagin
03-15-2010, 11:51 AM
cut to interviews with bolden by a buffalo sports personality.
both are asked to assess FSU, their schedule etc.

SG: we're going to take whoever we're handed. we're going to show up. can't worry about who you're playing. this team has that kind of mindset going in and will make the most of this opportunity.

mb: We don't know much about fsu. We know they are good, well coached and have a few good players.

mb(asked about GU's fame & his legacy): It's been great. going to the nCAA every year is such a privilege. lot of kids don't get that. been one of our goals. special time of year. yeah.

--

end interviews.

gamagin
03-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks Gamagin, lotta info there that wasn't on the Mark Few TV show last night. I didn't know Few was on the Rome show today and you covered it well!

had I know you were around, I would have passed the visor and armbands to you here.

best,

gamagin
03-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Mark Few represents Gonzaga so well. A well spoken gentleman.

I did think he side-stepped the question on his thoughts re: the GU collapse during the WCC Championship game. Those of us watching the game saw GU fold like a cheap WalMart tent on the summit of Mt. Everest, but Mark seemed so calm and accepting as he described the disaster. O Well, the past is the past.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

I was hoping Hudson would ask about all the rumors of flu and all that. I understand the reluctance to bring it up but if MB and SG were, indeed, sick that makes a difference. If not, well, w.t.f. happened !