PDA

View Full Version : GU Mention by Coach Boeheim

theman.themyth.thelegend
03-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim was a little surprised to see Gonzaga, which won the West Coast Conference’s title but lost to St. Mary’s in the conference tournament championship game, seeded 8th in the West Region. Syracuse could face Gonzaga if both win their first round games in Buffalo:

"Gonzaga’s been in the Top-10 for most of the year,’’ Boeheim said. "I have them 15 in my poll this week. I don’t see how they’re not a 5- or maybe a 6-seed.’’

Appears Coach Boeheim is shocked to see us seeded so low and on the verge of being upset that Syracuse could potentially be forced to play a Top-20 ranked team in the 2nd Round(only if we get past FSU, of course).

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2010/03/syracuses_wes_johnson_suffers.html

cbbfanatic
03-15-2010, 08:11 AM
boeheim is one of the biggest whiners out there. there's always something out there that isnt totally fair to his orange.

zagzealot
03-15-2010, 08:14 AM
My mom hated Boeheim more than any coach out there. She passed away in October and I see a GU-Cuse match up as a sign...we're gonna get 'em and we'll have divine intervention to do it! :D

cjm720
03-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Some psychological work going on here...smart play Coach B. Don't fall for it Zags...

gamagin
03-15-2010, 08:46 AM
boeheim is one of the biggest whiners out there. there's always something out there that isnt totally fair to his orange.

many folks right here in river city were also upset we weren't seeded higher. lol

meantime, we will all consider the matchups it pure genius if we win the next two games.

LongIslandZagFan
03-15-2010, 08:48 AM
It ain't March unless Jimmy B isn't crying and moaning about something.

sullyzag66
03-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Appears Coach Boeheim is shocked to see us seeded so low and on the verge of being upset that Syracuse could potentially be forced to play a Top-20 ranked team in the 2nd Round(only if we get past FSU, of course).

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2010/03/syracuses_wes_johnson_suffers.html
Well, Zags have not been in "the top 10 most of the year."

Houston Zag
03-15-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm in agreement. Syracuse University could easily be called Excuse University. That being said they are a tough team this year. I think they are making stuff up about Onuaku maybe or maybe not playing this weekend though. Seems like a set up to me. I also find it special that Jim Boehiem said that he should be able to play the second weekend. I like that they are overlooking the winner of GU vs FSU. That is a huge mistake.

cbbfanatic
03-15-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm in agreement. Syracuse University could easily be called Excuse University. That being said they are a tough team this year. I think they are making stuff up about Onuaku maybe or maybe not playing this weekend though. Seems like a set up to me. I also find it special that Jim Boehiem said that he should be able to play the second weekend. I like that they are overlooking the winner of GU vs FSU. That is a huge mistake.

i think, if anything, the onuaku thing goes the other way. i was there when he went down, heard him yelling that he heard/felt it "pop" and saw the way he left the court... it really didnt look or sound like a quad injury. i think maybe boeheim floated the idea that he wasnt shut down for the tournament in an attempt to not have it impact seeding.

i could easily see this as an acl issue.

either way, he would be a huge loss for them, he works very well in that zone, and rick jackson alone might not be as effective as rick jackson with onuaku at his side. really tough break for them if he doesnt play that second round game.

LynetteG
03-15-2010, 09:49 AM
I have heard that Okuanu is out at least these first two games, but then again, never know.

CB4
03-15-2010, 09:54 AM
"Syracuse’s been in the Top-5 for most of the year,’’ Mark Few said. "But they blew it their conference tournament last weekend. They're on a two game slide, I don’t see how they’re not a 2- or maybe a 3-seed."

cbbfanatic
03-15-2010, 10:00 AM
did few really say that? i dont believe it

have a hard time saying they "blew it" -- gtown, a 3 seed, played a great game to beat the cuse. first round big east games, if you have the double bye, are no joke. 3 of the 4 double bye teams went down in their opening game.

sorry, i am an idiot, missed the obvious reference to the initial quote.

lothar98zag
03-15-2010, 07:58 PM
It ain't March unless Jimmy B isn't crying and moaning about something.
If GU doesn't take out the cuse, I really hope they meet BYU in the Elite 8. In Utah.

The whining would be wonderful!

:pray:

RenoZag
03-15-2010, 08:01 PM
If GU doesn't take out the cuse, I really hope they meet BYU in the Elite 8. In Utah.

The whining would be wonderful!

:pray:

Boeheim could always counter by wearing Orange undergarments. . .

willandi
03-15-2010, 08:25 PM

Shocked as in " I'm shocked that there is gambling in this establishment"? (paraphrased from my old memory)

VaBeachZAG
03-16-2010, 05:17 AM
Last night (Monday) Boeheim said Onuaku might play a little bit in the first weekend. I agree with others that he is playing head games - now, not with the selection committee, but with Cuse's first two game opponents. It's possible Onuaku may not play, but opponents had better make their game plans on the assumption he will play/start for Cuse (never trust the word of a snake oil salesman).

cjm720
03-16-2010, 06:36 AM
"Syracuse’s been in the Top-5 for most of the year,’’ Mark Few said. "But they blew it their conference tournament last weekend. They're on a two game slide, I don’t see how they’re not a 2- or maybe a 3-seed."

The #2 or #3 1 seed perhaps. Few's smarter than that....