PDA

View Full Version : Go Zags and Go Gaels!!!

LongIslandZagFan
03-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Time to toe the conference party line folks. Lets look at GU and SMC in these brackets.

Both teams got under seeded (IMHO, should be 6 and 8)

Both teams got nasty, and I mean nasty second round draws if they get through round 1.

It would seem obvious to the casual bystander that the selection committee has issues with the WCC putting 2 teams in.

That being said, remember that more money goes into the conference coffers the deeper both teams go. THAT is good for everyone.

Hate Omar, but for the next SMC game(s), get past it and pull for the Gaels as much as you would the Zags.

Go Zags and Go Gaels!

gozagswoohoo
03-15-2010, 06:56 AM
How cool would it be if the zags met St. Mary's for the National Title game?

If that happens, I hope the zags win.

cbbfanatic
03-15-2010, 07:18 AM
people are really high on richmond... so much so that i could see it getting to their head and having smc beat them.

either way, the winner of that 7/10 is going to give villanova a really tough game. i'm hoping experience will rule the day in that second rounder, but i could see either smc or richmond going to the second wknd.

GUZagDenver
03-15-2010, 07:24 AM
Go Zags........ I hope SMC gets beat by 40 and Omar gets food poisoning the day of the game.

alaskazagnut
03-15-2010, 07:25 AM
The bad seeding we get all the time is because the deep pocketed selection committee believes we are a bad conference compared to their favorites. We need consistently 2 teams in the Tournament here on out and we need to always represent in the Sweet 16.

I want the Gaels to win. Period. But if Omar tripped down the stairs while he was laughing at us and that net he is constantly wearing around his neck somehow catches on the railing, I wouldn't cry over it.

If that happens, I hope the zags win.

C'mon woohoo. I think no matter who we play, even if it was the Hawaiian Tropic Bikini Models Championship Team you would want the Zags to win.

Hmmm...if the bikini models won I'm rushing the court to give congratulatory hugs. Maybe I'm the only one, but Amanda Hinchcliffe would be worth taking a dive for.

U Zig, I Zag
03-15-2010, 07:25 AM
If you have athletes you can wear down SMC. We lost because we were ill/aching in the champ game - I honestly believe that.

I hold out hope for SMC, but if a team is willing to take their time on offense and run SMC ragged on D then SMC is going to lose.

Best thing for SMC is that someone overlooks them. Fla St fans are overlooking GU already, doubt the players are but I hope they do. Maybe the WCC will get 4 games in the tourney this year.

ZagLawGrad
03-15-2010, 07:35 AM
I don't think the Zags are hurting too bad for cash. But SMC picking up steam because of a deep run in this tournament, and possibly becoming a more formidable threat to the Zags' dominance of the WCC, could hurt. Nothing SMC would love better than to get the upper hand on the Zags. And being non-discriminate on these kinds of things, I won't be on the UW bandwagon either. Sorry. :(

Pargo the Destroyer
03-15-2010, 07:45 AM
I hope UW and SMC score a combined 0 points. EFF em all.

Zagpower
03-15-2010, 07:51 AM
I like SMC's draw. Richmond didn't win their regular season conference or their conference tourney (and still got a 7 seed). I think Omar can punish them inside.

I also think Villanova is among the most over-seeded teams at #2. I don't think they are much better than Marquette, Notre Dame, or Louisville at this time of the season. Georgteown is playing much better and they have a 3 seed.
I had hoped the Zags would get a shot at Nova.

TexasZagFan
03-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Go Zags........ I hope SMC gets beat by 40 and Omar gets food poisoning the day of the game.

C'mon...be nice. Can't we just say that Omar gets a very mild case of food poisoning the day after the game? ;)

Kiddwell
03-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Go get 'em, Zags! Win, win, win, win, win, win! (You too, Gaels.) WCC! WCC! WCC! :)

:]

bartruff1
03-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Go Zags........ I hope SMC gets beat by 40 and Omar gets food poisoning the day of the game....that is where I am at...screw the Gaels..

HOOTER
03-15-2010, 08:08 AM
screw the Gaels..

Ditto. Screw the Gaels and screw the WCC. I'm a Zags fan. I couldn't care less about the WCC's coffers. Go Gonzaga and go Richmond! :D

thickman1
03-15-2010, 08:14 AM
If you want to stick it to the committee a great showing by GU and SMC is essential. What I find interesting is the WCC seeding is higher than the Pac-10 seeding. You could infer that the committee thought WCC was better than Pac-10, right?

LongIslandZagFan
03-15-2010, 08:14 AM
Deeper runs by ANY WCC helps recruiting... bigger money for WCC means more money for scholarships distributed back to schools. But hey, you don't want any of that over hating Omar... go for it... but it is misguided.

LynetteG
03-15-2010, 08:21 AM
I HAD to go with Richmond....my father-in-law played basketball for them back in the day! Funny that I just found this out, when I've been with my husband for 12.5 years and he knows I am a nut about college BB!

bartruff1
03-15-2010, 08:28 AM
I don't like green eggs and ham...and I don't like the gaels....that recent post in here about the resumes was annoying and indicative of their no class attitude...the hell with them....

cbbfanatic
03-15-2010, 08:32 AM
What I find interesting is the WCC seeding is higher than the Pac-10 seeding. You could infer that the committee thought WCC was better than Pac-10, right?

i would only make that inference if that pac ten teams had similar in conference and out of conference records as the wcc teams and were still seeded lower.

i think its more about each team, and not the conference.

thickman1
03-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Agreed. But then WCC is better as GU and CAL are 8's and SMC is a 10, while UW is 11. :D

75Zag
03-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Seems to me that the only two ways that the WCC can gain the national "respect" that we all seem to crave are (1) regularly beat up on highly ranked BCS or Elite schools, or (2) have all of the WCC tournament teams go as deep into the NCAA as possible.

Since it seems to be more and more difficult for WCC schools to schedule (let alone beat) highly ranked BCS or Elite schools, it seems that a deep run into the tournament by all WCC entries is in our best interests.

I assume some of the Northwest blue chip recruits (Bell, etc.) will be paying close attention to GU's run this year and to how the WCC looks as a league.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

MJ777
03-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Go Zags and Gaels (inspite of Spamham).

I am also rooting for San Diego St and the huskies (inspite of them being chickens).

And I am rooting for every Mid-Major team to play well and advance against BCS opponents. Go Vermont!!!

TexasZagFan
03-15-2010, 09:34 AM
I HAD to go with Richmond....my father-in-law played basketball for them back in the day! Funny that I just found this out, when I've been with my husband for 12.5 years and he knows I am a nut about college BB!

Richmond doesn't stand a chance...they won't be able to cope with the spectre of Dellavedova and his mouthpiece. ;)

RenoZag
03-15-2010, 10:10 AM
I will root for the Gaels as their success would reflect well on the conference. They're a pretty good team and I hope Allen, Della, and Mickey scorch those turds from Richmond. It might help Bennett and co. improve their OOC schedule if they are perceived as something other than an RPI killer.

And, as LIZF and others have pointed out, what's good for the WCC is good for Gonzaga.

Go Zags ! Go Gaels !

gamagin
03-15-2010, 10:13 AM
I will root for the Gaels as their success would reflect well on the conference. They're a pretty good team and I hope Allen, Della, and Mickey scorch those turds from Richmond. It might help Bennett and co. improve their OOC schedule if they are perceived as something other than an RPI killer.

And, as LIZF and others have pointed out, what's good for the WCC is good for Gonzaga.

Go Zags ! Go Gaels !

If they can play in the dance like they played us, they could make a lot of noise.

kitzbuel
03-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Spider won't be able to breathe with those manboobs drapped all over them!

a13coach
03-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Go Zags and Go Gaels. I hope SMC goes far and all the while Shimsham avg. 5pts and 5 fouls/game. :)

Folks we want SMC to do well, it is another big step in proving that the WCC is no cake walk. If Shankhams cohorts show up and play like they did in the WCC tourney championship then all should go well for them.

LongIslandZagFan
03-15-2010, 11:56 AM
....Folks we want SMC to do well, it is another big step in proving that the WCC is no cake walk...

Bingo!!! An early exit by SMC only PROVES in others minds that the WCC is weak, regardless of that thought's validity. Again, get past the hate of Omar and look at the greater good. Its not like you were are asking a Michigan fan to root for Ohio State. I'd NEVER ask for anything on that level. Ohio State is evil.

Angelo Roncalli
03-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Bingo!!! An early exit by SMC only PROVES in others minds that the WCC is weak, regardless of that thought's validity. Again, get past the hate of Omar and look at the greater good. Its not like you were are asking a Michigan fan to root for Ohio State. I'd NEVER ask for anything on that level. Ohio State is evil.

Amen.

Those who ##### about the WCC being a drag and then root against SMC in the NCAA tournament may have a synapse malfunction.

Good luck to the Gaels and safe travels to their band of merry men who will be traveling to Providence.

GoZags
03-15-2010, 12:36 PM
I'd love to see the WCC go back and take the East by storm. 3 or 4 wins -- one of us (hopefully the Zags) in the Sweet 16 in Salt Lake. Anything can happen.

Also -- good luck to LMU and UP in their post season tourney. 4 outta 8 in the post season speaks volumes as to where our conference is.

Also -- only 1 school (Pepp) over 300 RPI -- and they were barely over 300 which helps.

I'd love to see next year with 2 schools under 50, 2 schools 51-100, 2 schools 101-150 and 2 schools 151-200. That would put the WCC firmly in the Top 10 conferences in the nation -- and I think that is attainable.

But first and foremost. Go Zags. Second (but also foremost) Go Gaels.

Section 116
03-15-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm gonna stick this in this thread because I'm not gonna start a thread about Bennett and the Gaels. Bennett was on the Andy Katz ESPNU show a short time ago. He said when they saw Richmond come up on the board, he thought, aw man, we gotta play Richmond, there are other teams we match up better with. He said he wasn't familiar with this Richmond team but he knew the coach and how he coaches so he kinds of knows what to expect. Katz mentioned the win over GU in the WCC championship game and Bennett said mental toughness was a big deal in winning that game. When you have been good as long as GU you develop a kind of mental toughness, especially in those big games. You have to believe you can win those games and this years Gaels did. He said Allen, McConnell and Page all played up a level to get this win, actually Page played up two levels. That was the extent of the conversation.

Zagsker
03-15-2010, 01:05 PM
I cannot find myself to ever root for SMC..atleast as long as Man boobs is there.....Ben Allen seems to be kinda of a schmuck as well

bartruff1
03-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Well there is another way of seeing it...I like things the way they are... Few has a 12 straight Dance Card in part because the WCC is a weak conference. It will likely always be a one bid conference without a upset in the Tourney and that is fine with me. Being in a weak conference gives Few the opportunity to schedule a national non conference schedule of very good and entertaining games without much fear about getting knocked out of a at large bid. Last year was about perfect for me. I could care less of what the Committee or anyone else thinks about the WCC. If the conference schedule amounts to just 14 scrimmages with officials....great...all the better to grow and learn and prepare the underclassmen. Gonzaga can get a good seed coming out of the WCC ....I don't expect the Zags to recruit the kind of atheletes that would make them a real threat for a National Championship or a Final Four. I really like the quality of our kids, I wouldn't trade Matt for two John Walls. Of course, it doesn't matter what I think. I have been a fan for much more than 12 years so I remember the 12 and 12 season's and this is hog heaven for me.

ZagLawGrad
03-15-2010, 01:33 PM
2008---USD, SMC and GU made the Dance as I recall.

Yet, the WCC is still seen as a weak conference.

Translation---WCC will be seen as a weak conference regardless of whether SMC wins this season. To some extent, it is and will probably always be true that the WCC is weak at the bottom 2/3's of the league. So, I see no reason to get on board the SMC train as it isn't going to change anybody's perception about the conference. Plus, I'm bettin' most Gael fans are not rooting for the Zags. Just a hunch.

MickMick
03-15-2010, 01:49 PM
If the same determined SMC team shows up that played in Vegas......

People fail to look at how they manhandled Portland.

When Allen, McConnel, and Dellevedova are on, they can be a real pain for anyone. Page can provide defensive help and is also an offensive threat. I don't know if I am sold on Steindal but he is a gamer.

Ben Allen, in particular, has really stepped up his game as of late.

Teams will gear up to contain Samhan, but the other guys can kill you if you overlook them.

I think St. Marys truly is the sleeper team in this tournament. Enough of this pointing fingers at the Zags. Time to start giving credit to a very good St. Marys team. Too bad they can't velcro Gonzaga across the jerseys of the teams they will play ;) I can't help but wonder how they will fare against a good, athletic, defensive team though (thinking USC X 2). Some of those Big East squads are "in your face" brutal.

Carry the WCC banner proudly Gaels and just get it done.

ronh_pm
03-15-2010, 02:04 PM
If ever there was a chance for a mid-major to make a run, the South bracket is the one to do it in.

There is certainly no way Villinova is a #2 team and there is a whole lot of argument that Baylor is not a #3 with four losses to teams out of top 10 including two out of the top 100. Top it off with Duke as a #1 and you have a dance just waiting for a Cinderella.

The only question is, can Omar's fat feet fit the slippers.

sircreate
03-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Go Zags!!, Go Gaels!!

I'll be cheering on the Zags this week and hopefully weekend.. if the Zags can make it to the second round who knows, could pull off the upset cause anythings possible.

Hopefully my Gaels can do the same

crockdaddy
03-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Teams will gear up to contain Samhan, but the other guys can kill you if you overlook them.

Exactly, I have a feeling McConnell and Dellavedova will torch them from the perimeter. Have you ever seen a spider on fire? They curl up and die

jayray
03-15-2010, 03:04 PM
The only question is, can Omar's fat feet fit the slippers.

That is some funny stuff right there. I'll be pulling for the Gaels as much as I hate Omar.

http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/Fight_Club_ID_by_psychol_bob.jpg

skan72
03-15-2010, 03:30 PM
The bad seeding we get all the time is because the deep pocketed selection committee believes we are a bad conference compared to their favorites. We need consistently 2 teams in the Tournament here on out and we need to always represent in the Sweet 16.

I want the Gaels to win. Period. But if Omar tripped down the stairs while he was laughing at us and that net he is constantly wearing around his neck somehow catches on the railing, I wouldn't cry over it.

C'mon woohoo. I think no matter who we play, even if it was the Hawaiian Tropic Bikini Models Championship Team you would want the Zags to win.

Hmmm...if the bikini models won I'm rushing the court to give congratulatory hugs. Maybe I'm the only one, but Amanda Hinchcliffe would be worth taking a dive for.

I agree with the above...and the below.

skan72
03-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Seems to me that the only two ways that the WCC can gain the national "respect" that we all seem to crave are (1) regularly beat up on highly ranked BCS or Elite schools, or (2) have all of the WCC tournament teams go as deep into the NCAA as possible.

Since it seems to be more and more difficult for WCC schools to schedule (let alone beat) highly ranked BCS or Elite schools, it seems that a deep run into the tournament by all WCC entries is in our best interests.

I assume some of the Northwest blue chip recruits (Bell, etc.) will be paying close attention to GU's run this year and to how the WCC looks as a league.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

I don't agree with it being difficult for us to schedule highly ranked BCS or Elite schools. We played MSU (L), Wake Forest (L), Duke (L), and Oklahoma (W) in exhibition games. Memphis, who is usually good and will probably remain good we also played. Not to mention the Maui Invitational whose field included Arizona, Colorado (W), Cincinnati (W), Maryland, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin (W). Arizona will get back to close to where they used to be, Maryland is great this year, Wisconsin is always good-great, and Vandy is doing it big in recent years. If we have 1 or 2 more wins out of Duke/Wake/MSU...we're sitting in the 4-7 range. And these are guys we play ever year.

SMC - played Vandy, Oregon, USC this year. That's a pretty good BCS playing schedule for a team that isn't the perennial power in the WCC.

Portland - played Oregon, UCLA, Minnesota, WVU, and UW this year. Again, quite good BCS playing schedule for a team that is even less of a power in the WCC.

LMU - played USC, Wyoming, and Notre Dame.

San Fran - played Arizona St., Colorado, BYU, South Florida, and UW. Solid schedule as well.

Santa Clara - played UNLV.

San Diego - Stanford, Oklahoma, and Houston at the Great Alaska Shootout with the potential of playing other BCS schools, also San Diego State, New Mexico, South Florida, and Mississippi St. Pretty solid sched. as well.

Pepperdine - played UCLA, Wyoming, Utah, Georgia, New Mexico St., and Miami.

All in all, as a conference we do get some pretty good games OOC for not being a power conference.

MaroonZag22
03-15-2010, 05:13 PM
2008---USD, SMC and GU made the Dance as I recall.

Yet, the WCC is still seen as a weak conference.

Translation---WCC will be seen as a weak conference regardless of whether SMC wins this season. To some extent, it is and will probably always be true that the WCC is weak at the bottom 2/3's of the league. So, I see no reason to get on board the SMC train as it isn't going to change anybody's perception about the conference. Plus, I'm bettin' most Gael fans are not rooting for the Zags. Just a hunch.

What you fail to recall is this fact about the 2008 tournament:
Gonzaga that year was a one and done.
St. Mary's that year was a one and done.
USD that year knocked off UConn and then lost to a 12 seed in the next round.

My point? Getting teams to the tourney does not get your conference respect. So SMC needs to win games and GU needs to win games in order to get respect. The more they win, the more respect you get. That year (2008) the WCC went 1 for 4. Of course we didn't get respect after that. And all of you that say you don't want to see the WCC get respect. Don't complain about GU getting a horrible seed despite having a good record in the WCC (even those years we went 14 - 0, we have gotten the short end of the stick). Even schools that do alright in respected conferences get the benefit of the doubt. Want proof of this, look at Notre Dame's 6 seed. So please people, stop hating on SMC. Do I want GU to do better of every other WCC team, yeah. I want the Zags better than every team in the nation. But wishing that SMC loses doesn't help Gonzaga. Rather, it hurts us. So go Zags and go Gaels. But if only one can go further, than always let it be Gonzaga!

MJGoGaels
03-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Best of Luck to the Bulldogs. SMC has lots to prove. I see the Richmond Spiders like WKU. THey play great D without a good front line in their zone match up D. Win and advance. Safe travels and let the madness begin.

Saxon_zag
03-15-2010, 11:37 PM
I hope smc loses by 100 and samhan sucks it up. Sorry but t heir fans are crazy. If t hey won they would say

"OMG THE TIDES ARE TURNING IN THE WCC"

Oh wait they beat us 1 out of 3 times and say that.... oh and don't delete my post this time, doesn't all have to be rah rah rainbows on here

HOOTER
03-16-2010, 01:37 AM
Forget the money. Forget the national respect. Forget all of that bullcrap. I'm not concerned about Saint Mary's and I'm certainly not concerned about the WCC. My only concern come tourney time is the Zags, period, end of discussion. Y'all can preach about respect for the conference and rooting for conference teams or whatever, I'm not wasting my time with that bologna. The only good thing about the WCC is the Zags and that's the truth. I only have loyalty to one team in this tournament. Root for whatever team or whatever conference you want to. I'm rooting for the Zags and the Zags only.

Pargo the Destroyer
03-16-2010, 07:54 AM

Ok, I was in a really really bad mood when I posted this. Therefore, I would like to make an addendum to my original post by saying that I hope the Gaels do well, I pulled for them last year in the NIT (even watched the game against whoever it was) and pulled for them the year before in the tourney.

I still hope UW scores 0 points.

LongIslandZagFan
03-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Ok, I was in a really really bad mood when I posted this. Therefore, I would like to make an addendum to my original post by saying that I hope the Gaels do well, I pulled for them last year in the NIT (even watched the game against whoever it was) and pulled for them the year before in the tourney.

I still hope UW scores 0 points.

You and me both PtD... you and me both.

Kiddwell
03-16-2010, 09:32 AM
You and me both PtD... you and me both.

Me three. Here's hoping UW-KFC loads up on extra crispy chicken wings, suits up, and plays like dumb clucks. :D

:]

Pargo the Destroyer
03-16-2010, 12:02 PM
hmm, not sure if they have room for the chicken, they are probably full from all the cupcakes from the previous weeks, you know, before conference play started....

lothar98zag
03-16-2010, 01:18 PM
hmm, not sure if they have room for the chicken, they are probably full from all the cupcakes from the previous weeks, you know, before conference play started....
& during conference...

http://instantrimshot.com/

GonzagaSwagga
03-16-2010, 01:22 PM
The failure of so many of you to grasp the bigger picture is astounding, especially considering the otherwise valuable content that so many of you usually bring to these boards. You should be rooting for a WCC Tournament Championship rematch in the National Championship game, and if you can't at least see why then I'm not sure you can be helped.

Do you really hate SMC that much? Most of you just hate Samhan. You act as if this is Tobacco Road...SMC has been Gonzaga's doormat for an entire decade...How can you so passionately hate a team that you have been so incredibly dominant of in the past?

Even if we lose in the first round I still want SMC to do well. I don't care if they brag all year. That will just give us motivation to go back to mopping the floor with them like we did in the past. There's nothing wrong with competition. It's what nearly every other conference has that we do not (maybe that's what's holding us back). Push forward, please.

U Zig, I Zag
03-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Part of the competition is dissing/poking fun/down playing your rival. I think we all would like to see SMC sneak a few out - but let's face it, they get sort of far and come Nov NOBODY is gonna care what conf they are from. Just happens that way, WCC is small and out West.

On some level though, people on this board (me included) just can't stand Samhan and his antics - SMC's blind defense of this guy is what makes the SMC fans look like chumps.

Even this topic here is being discussed in a relative decent manner with some naysayers and goofballs now and again. Over on SMC's board it's like they don't know what to do with themselves - a BULK of the conversation is debating whether or not some Richmond troll is really just a Zag.

It's all in good fun though, generally - and when Samhan is finally out of the picture we will probably sink back into not caring so much about them.

Only in Morega can you win 1 out of 3 and be 'best in the west'..

HOOTER
03-16-2010, 03:29 PM
The failure of so many of you to grasp the bigger picture is astounding, especially considering the otherwise valuable content that so many of you usually bring to these boards. You should be rooting for a WCC Tournament Championship rematch in the National Championship game, and if you can't at least see why then I'm not sure you can be helped.

No way your being serious here. Gonzaga and Saint Mary's in the national title game? Really? That's fantastic! :lmao:

Call me simple, but I'm not really a "big picture" kind of guy, at least when it comes to sports. The greater good just doesn't concern me whatsoever. I have my team and all others can go away. I want to see the Zags trounce anyone who stands in their way. Saint Mary's can lose bad in the first round and I wouldn't lose a bit of sleep over it.

Oh, and if I had my way UW would lose so bad they'd be banned from the state forever. :D

Saxon_zag
03-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Only in Morega can you win 1 out of 3 and be 'best in the west'..

+1, despite the misspelling of Moraga. The people are delusional, so much so they think they are the best in the west and that Omar is actually a good guy.. Go SPIDERS