PDA

View Full Version : Just for curiosity's sake?

HillBillyZag
03-14-2010, 10:33 PM
If I remember correctly , although the Tournament games are held in Spokane, WSU is officially the host school? Could some one with experience or knowledge of the duties of the host explain them to us? Also since the Siena Saints are in town, could one assume that G.U would certainly interact & render any assistance possible to another Catholic University? And even with the G.U. athletic dept staff mostly in Buffalo, will old relationships be renewed and new ones forged that could result in athletic contests being arranged along with other projects? Also, have practice sites and times been set up yet?, and would they be open to the public? For this fan this is the greatest week-end of the year. Go Zags !, beat the Seminoles!

HillBillyZag
03-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Jezz, Not soul knows any of thse details? I would love watch some shoot-a-rounds?

Angelo Roncalli
03-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Host school bids to be the host. They're in charge of the details...ticket management, volunteers, local sponsors, securing hotel rooms and meeting facilities, etc. Schools have to pay money to be the sponsor. A lot of schools don't feel the return on effort and money make it worthwhile. It's a big commitment of the host school's athletic department's resources.

I wouldn't be surprised, given GU's relationships with Michigan State, that it's MSU that makes use of GU facilities.

As to shootaround, each of the teams will participate in open to the public practices in the Arena on Thursday from noon to 7:30 PM. No charge. Free parking at the arena. There should be information in the SR about the teams' schedules later in the week.

I don’t have a ticket. Will there be any other public events I can enjoy?
YES. All eight teams will practice at the Spokane Arena on Thursday, March 18, beginning at noon and running until 7:30pm. These practice sessions are FREE and open to the public as is parking at the Spokane Arena parking lots on Thursday, March 18.

http://www.spokanearena.com/ncaa/

Houston Zag
03-15-2010, 01:59 PM
I can't speak for Spokane, but in Houston the practices are open to ticket holders only at no additional charge. I would assume Spokane is similar.

PilotNut
03-15-2010, 02:44 PM
The practices at the Rose Garden in Portland last year were open to the public, and I believe they were free...

I would also assume that WSU has already secured gym space for 8 teams to also hold private practices; WSU would have made those arrangements after receiving the bid to host and without knowing which teams would be there.... I would assume that, in order to be fair, the participating schools will all practice in similar facilities (high school gyms?)...

HillBillyZag
03-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Pontiff, just playing the devil's advocate, lol, but do you really think G.U. has more in common with MSU than Siena?

Angelo Roncalli
03-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Pontiff, just playing the devil's advocate, lol, but do you really think G.U. has more in common with MSU than Siena?

I don't think its a question of commonality--Few is good friends with Izzo...and there's the Heathcote factor.

HillBillyZag
03-15-2010, 07:25 PM
I'll buy that! Just had to pull your Mitre a bit.Hope to watch MSU & Sena both shoot around.