PDA

View Full Version : No charter jet this time, right?

FuManShoes
03-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Seem to remember teams must fly coach during the the tourney unless ...

BobZag
03-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Seem to remember teams must fly coach during the the tourney unless ...

I'm thinking Charter. Never heard of a rule that dictates travel. Maybe someone can find the rule?

75Zag
03-14-2010, 06:45 PM
I think that all teams have to use the NCAA official travel agency to arrange travel during the NCAA tournament, and that they have to fly commercial unless the NCAA arranges a charter through its own travel agent.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/a2929e004e29580c8d38bd9565dafefc/2009-10+D1+champs+trav+policies.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=a2929e004e29580c8d38bd9565dafefc

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Jedster
03-14-2010, 06:52 PM
I think that all teams have to use the NCAA official travel agency to arrange travel during the NCAA tournament, and that they have to fly commercial unless the NCAA arranges a charter through its own travel agent.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/a2929e004e29580c8d38bd9565dafefc/2009-10+D1+champs+trav+policies.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=a2929e004e29580c8d38bd9565dafefc

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

As per the link above, Items 7 and 8 are quoted below...

[QUOTE]Charter options will be pursued by Shortís only if reasonable commercial options are not available. All charter flights for a teamís participation in an NCAA championship must be arranged through Shortís. If an institution desires an unusually high seating capacity or it appears that a charter will not be economical, Shortís will advise the institution of the op-tions available within the required guidelines. For all championships, the NCAA will pay the prorated cost for the official traveling party based on the charterís total cost and the number of seats available on the aircraft, but not to exceed the regular coach fare. The insti-tution must pay for additional passengers above the official traveling party size. The NCAA has final approval of any charter that is part of the NCAA travel guarantee. Please note charter service to championships is limited. Institutions should be prepared to adjust departure and return time, to book commercial reservations, or to split the traveling party.

8. Flight options, both commercial and charter, are limited due to the quick turn around time of championship travel and the seasonality of NCAA championships. Institutions that fly should be prepared to have connecting flights, split their travel party and depart early in the morning or late in the evening. The NCAA national office travel staff is responsible for making the determination of what should be considered reasonable options for the official traveling party.[QUOTE/]

As I read this, it seems to imply that Shorts will arrange for a charter, though this is different than GU as they have their own plane. I imagine it's a long travel day there via commercial airlines.

FuManShoes
03-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Hmm, this is kind of confusing:

All airline reservations must be made through Short’s Travel in order to receive the NCAA guarantee for air travel.

and then:

Charter options will be pursued by Short’s only if reasonable commercial options are not available. All charter flights for a team’s participation in an NCAA championship must be arranged through Short’s.

Does that mean all travel must be arranged through Short's Travel agency, or simply that the NCAA will only guarantee travel arrangements that are made through that agency? Can a school decline that guarantee and make its own arrangements, including use of its own charter, or can it make its own arrangemenst only if they don't include a charter?

I'm with Tark on this. The NCAA is the most byzantine, self-serving organization you will find. Wanna bet some committee chair's brother runs Short's Travel?

Jedster
03-14-2010, 06:58 PM
The shortest route I can find on kayak.com for Wednesday is 8 hours 6 minutes with change of planes in Salt Lake (hour layover) and Cinci/N. Kentucky (35 min). Leave Spokane at 10:20 AM, arrive Buffalo at 9:26 PM. No options available with less than 2 changes. Ouch...

gamagin
03-14-2010, 07:00 PM
in the past. I'd be willing to bet that will be the case this year, too, for this long hop.

webspinnre
03-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Interesting. I don't know about the team, but pep band and cheerleaders flew charters to/from Salt Lake a few years back when I was in the band. It was pretty nice - drove out onto the tarmac, hopped on board, took off. Each seat had a gatorade, a snickers bar, and something else on it.

ZaginLaw
03-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Few's quoted this afternoon telling the kids after the WCC championship games they'd be playing in Buffalo or in Jacksonville. Few & Co. are on top of it. No worries...

sullyzag66
03-14-2010, 07:23 PM
It appears this is the protocol for reimbursement for travel by the NCAA. Does that preclude a school from going by charter and paying it's own travel expenses? Has Gonzaga done that previously? Would they?

Purezzag
03-14-2010, 07:53 PM
The team will fly on a commercial charter. They don't use their own plane but commercial charter is the norm. I believe they fly out either Tues afternoon or Wed morning.

FuManShoes
03-14-2010, 07:55 PM
The team will fly on a commercial charter. They don't use their own plane but commercial charter is the norm. I believe they fly out either Tues afternoon or Wed morning.

Thank you!

Zag79
03-15-2010, 12:55 AM
I believe they fly out either Tues afternoon or Wed morning.

why so late? i would leave monday a.m. and make sure to get the bodies and brains set to NY time as fast as possible. still cant believe we have to fly to the farthest point possible away from home, and IF we beat a tough nole team we get cuse in there backyard. :lmao:

Rangerzag
03-15-2010, 05:10 AM
why so late? i would leave monday a.m. and make sure to get the bodies and brains set to NY time as fast as possible. still cant believe we have to fly to the farthest point possible away from home, and IF we beat a tough nole team we get cuse in there backyard. :lmao:

Maybe the players are going to school on Monday and Tuesday.

GoZags
03-15-2010, 07:10 AM
FWIW, due to the difficulty in getting TO Spokane, Sienna is chartering and will arrive in GEG tomorrow (Tuesday) for their Friday game.

I think the Zags will be okay vis a vis travel (unless a hose job is truly in).

sullyzag66
03-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Feels just like a normal OCC Zags' schedule.