PDA

View Full Version : First look at Florida State

rawkmandale
03-14-2010, 03:16 PM
This looks good. They are known as a defensive team. They have played a number of good teams, and played them well. They shoot free throws as poorly as we do (64.6%). They are not a great 3 point team, except for the 6'5" Lithuanian Number 4 Dulkys. They spread the scoring out, with one guy at 11.6, another at 10.3, and the third at 8.8. The tallest players are 7'1" (their top scorer), 6'11", 6'9" (number 2 scorer), and 2 at 6'8". The Lithuanian is the number 4 scorer (8.5 points per game).

More later.

MickMick
03-14-2010, 03:59 PM
I like the matchup.

The tourney is all about matchups and the Zags got a favorable one.

FSU is a good team, it is just that their makeup and style fits perfectly into what the Zags want in a matchup.

Their size will not overwhelm us like they would many other teams. They are not a great perimeter shooting team. They are not penetrating speed demons. They are not a well oiled machine on offense. In fact, they have a knack of turning the ball over at critical junctures.

They will play good defense and work us inside. If they beat us, that is how they will do it. I think the Zags can kill them in transition. Up tempo is the way to go against this squad. Run those big guys into the ground.

SFZAG95
03-14-2010, 04:05 PM
this gets me excited as long as we are not playing the early game back there...sounds like we should be fine as long as bouldin gray and harris get on their game.

El Voce
03-14-2010, 04:23 PM
this gets me excited as long as we are not playing the early game back there...sounds like we should be fine as long as bouldin gray and harris get on their game.

I would imagine the Zags will fly back there on Wednesday, for the Thursday media day events. The team should be pretty well acclimated to the time zone difference by Friday. Anyway, the time zone thing didn't seem to bother us any against Illinois and Memphis this year.

I never much liked the idea of us playing in the Spokane Arena, as this particular team seems to play better with their backs against the wall. If the Zag team that stormed Maui, and later beat Portland, Memphis, and St. Mary's in the course of two weeks, shows up, then we'll be OK. If the team that showed up in Vegas goes to Buffalo, then we're in trouble.

DADoZAG
03-14-2010, 04:28 PM
I like the matchup.

The tourney is all about matchups and the Zags got a favorable one.

Run those big guys into the ground.

I agree with both MickMick and rawkmandale, this could work just fine. While the Seminole’s are big, they don’t seem to be very deep and production seems to drop off fairly quickly.

Another nice thing is that the Seminoles will be traveling quite a ways as well, and too a much colder climate. Hopefully the game won’t be too early.

Second round will be in ‘Cuse’s back yard, but with they’re big going down, Wes Johnson might be the biggest concern once the ZAGS get by FSU.

Here’s a quick comparison I did up, hope it prints out.
http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/DADoZAG/SeminolesComparison.jpg

Oh, don’t pay much attention to the “Effectiveness” data, that’s just something I do for my own interest. Hmmm, RPI data didn't update either.

Go ZAGS!

BobZag
03-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Zags can win this game. Time to be focused, physical and dialed in.

Just do it.

rawkmandale
03-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Here are a couple of game story links to give an idea of how they match up with people we know:

Wake Forest
http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/florida_state_seminoles/2010-03-04/story/michael_snaer_leads_florida_state_past_wake_

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/seminoles/fsus-basketball-team-bolsters-ncaa-chances-with-win-315672.html

Duke
http://blog.taragana.com/sports/2010/01/27/jon-scheyer-kyle-singler-help-no-8-duke-hold-off-florida-state-70-56-69989/

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/01/28/article/dukes_defense_above_average_in_win_over_florida_st ate

We're going to have to be very serious about wanting to win - Florida State will not be an easy out.

RenoZag
03-14-2010, 05:27 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2763/4434132964_0fdc12cfd0_o.jpg

MedZag
03-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Zags can win this game. Time to be focused, physical and dialed in.

Just do it.

Agreed. When the Zags play their game, they can impose their will on a "tough defensive squad" like FSU. The Cincinatti game, for instance. When the Zags play their game, I could see them taking down 'Cuse in Buffalo.

Unfortunately, we haven't really seen 'that' team since early in conference play.

But we know its in there somewhere.

In a year which I thought this team was 'different' re: the tourney, this team has ended up looking a lot like past Zags teams going into MM. I could see this team fizzle under FSU's pressure and be a one-and-done or I could see them make a strong run. Unfortunately they've left a lot of evidence the past few weeks that the former is more likely, but this team could surprise me.

BlueVoodoo07
03-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Wow playing a team that shoots FT's worse than us, who would have thought. We got this one go Zags :D

Jedster
03-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Here are a couple of game story links to give an idea of how they match up with people we know:

Wake Forest
http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/florida_state_seminoles/2010-03-04/story/michael_snaer_leads_florida_state_past_wake_

We're going to have to be very serious about wanting to win - Florida State will not be an easy out.

Wow, held Aminu scoreless and only to 4 rebounds (almost 7 less than his average).

The Demon Deacons' leading scorer and the Atlantic Coast Conference's top rebounder, Al-Farouq Aminu, was held scoreless for the first time in his career, largely by the efforts of Florida State defensive standout Chris Singleton, who also contributed eight rebounds and four steals.

BobZag
03-14-2010, 05:34 PM
It's all about toughness and execution now.

Chip on shoulder time.

Zags have been there, done that already.

dim4sum
03-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Florida State has the size to win the battle of the boards and subsequently the victory. The Zags have to be quicker to the ball. Everyone must board if we are to win.
The team coalesced as a unit early in the season but as the season drew to an end that original unity seemed to disappear. What they have to do is re-coalesce. Play with the same sense of purpose that beat Illinois and Memphis on the road.
They could learn something from the UDub, that came on late, and is currently playing with interchangeable hustle players.
I'm not worried about the time diff or playing up in Buffalo which is about the same lattitude as Spokane and as much or more severe weather. After a day,
there the body rhythms will be in synch.
If we're lucky enough to move on, it would be nice to catch Syracuse with a bout of over-confidence, since they are so close to home.

bigblahla
03-14-2010, 05:57 PM
One game at a time. Good match up if we play our game. It's not the first game of the day.

Go!! Zags!!!

VinnyZag
03-14-2010, 06:54 PM
KenPom has FSU rated No. 1 in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency (83.9). Offense isn't terrible, either (105.2, 119th in the country). His system predicst FSU wins 68 percent of the time.

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Florida%20St.

FLAZAG
03-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Living in Florida I have had a chance to see them play a lot. Like others have said they were one of the best defensive teams in the ACC and probably in the country. Chris Singleton was named defensive player of the year in the ACC. They are look like an NBA team size wise and they do have a lot of talent. Center Solomon Alabi is projected to be a lottery pick if he leaves. Chris Singleton and Xavier Gibson also have a future in the NBA, and freshman G Michael Snaer was a McDonald's All American last year. The main 3 point threats in Loucks and Dulkys are always hit or miss, they're either really on or really off. The big thing with FSU is the lack of offense and the fact that Leonard Hamilton is not a very good game coach. If the Zags can play they're game and can put up around 75 I think they should win. If you guys have any other questions I will do my best to answer.

webspinnre
03-14-2010, 07:02 PM
The good news for us is they aren't a great 3 point shooting team, which we know is something that kills us. It'll be really interesting watching Sacre against Alabi.

rawkmandale
03-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Perhaps we should play "first team to 30 wins." Our defense is going to cause them a lot of problems, too. It's going to be a grinder, unless we can get more turnovers than normal. We certainly have the players to do that.

It sounds like they try to work the ball inside like we do. This will be a war in the paint, so Big Will is going to have to be ready, especially if Rob gets in foul trouble. This could be the most important game of his life.

How do we beat long teams that create good defensive pressure? We have only been marginally successful. Hence, it will be doubly important to limit their points more than they can limit ours, and look for runnouts. Also, let's get Singleton in foul trouble. Harris to the rim?

john montana
03-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Tough match up for us. I have seen them play a few times this year and they will definitely slow down our inside game. They are big, and they use that size and length pretty well. My biggest concern is that we are not really a great three point shooting team, and expecting to win by dumping the ball down to Rob could be an issue. We'll need our best game...

gamagin
03-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Living in Florida I have had a chance to see them play a lot. Like others have said they were one of the best defensive teams in the ACC and probably in the country. Chris Singleton was named defensive player of the year in the ACC. They are look like an NBA team size wise and they do have a lot of talent. Center Solomon Alabi is projected to be a lottery pick if he leaves. Chris Singleton and Xavier Gibson also have a future in the NBA, and freshman G Michael Snaer was a McDonald's All American last year. The main 3 point threats in Loucks and Dulkys are always hit or miss, they're either really on or really off. The big thing with FSU is the lack of offense and the fact that Leonard Hamilton is not a very good game coach. If the Zags can play they're game and can put up around 75 I think they should win. If you guys have any other questions I will do my best to answer.

could you match our starters with theirs and assess how we look vs them and vice versa ? Is steven as good or better than their best defender, for e.g., in your opinion. Who is Harris going to be working ? Matt ? etc.

also who do we need to contain and what do you think our best game plan might be to beat them.

LongIslandZagFan
03-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Holy crap, they got matched up against a team that is worse at the line than they are???

ZagLawGrad
03-14-2010, 07:19 PM
My worry about a team with tough inside D is Harris' offense. He has not been effective lately inside against the bigs.

FLAZAG
03-14-2010, 07:29 PM
could you match our starters with theirs and assess how we look vs them and vice versa ? Is steven as good or better than their best defender, for e.g., in your opinion. Who is Harris going to be working ? Matt ? etc.

also who do we need to contain and what do you think our best game plan might be to beat them.

Chris Singleton is one of the best defender's in the country. He is 6'9 very athletic and is pretty good at getting steals. Florida State can be a hard team to preview defensively just because there is not 1 player that you can say we need to stop. It all depends on who has the hot hand becomes the go to guy it seems like. I remember 1 game Singleton had like 20 something and the next he had 4, and someone else had a big night. So it's not like they have a go to guy who night in night out is going to get his points. I would say IMO if you take Alabi out of the game and force them to take more outside shots. As others have said FSU is not a very good outside shooting team and as I said Dulkys and Loucks are always hit or miss.

Zagatak
03-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Will the zags be coming out with a zone to try and force them to shoot outside?

kylasdad
03-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Am I safe in assuming they would probably put Singleton on Harris? Is singleton a good defender both on the block and as a face up defender?

MickMick
03-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Will the zags be coming out with a zone to try and force them to shoot outside?

I expect you will see a mix.

I am almost certain that you will see the Zags press and trap more than you have ever seen from them before. Ever. They absolutely want to stop the FSU offense before they can get into position for post feeds. Their weakest link is turnovers.

I expect you will see more zone than usual.

Here is the bright spot. If the Zags get a sizeable lead, FSU is not good enough offensively to make a comeback unless they create offense through their defense. The only way they could make up the difference is to shut the Zag offense completely down. That is how they make their "runs".

Turnover margin is a huge, huge statistic for this game. I have much confidence in Mark Few's ability to game plan this one.

rawkmandale
03-14-2010, 08:09 PM
The posters on the FSU board seem to think that Singleton will guard Bouldin. That would make things very tough on Matt, so others would need to step up in the scoring effort - specifically Harris and Gray.

Jedster
03-14-2010, 08:24 PM
The posters on the FSU board seem to think that Singleton will guard Bouldin. That would make things very tough on Matt, so others would need to step up in the scoring effort - specifically Harris and Gray.

I wonder then who would guard Harris? To me that would be a good match-up for us. I'm sure the FSU coach knows about Elias, but maybe their fans are discounting him. This will be a tough game, but I think we can step up to the challenge.

Jedster
03-14-2010, 08:26 PM
FLAZAG-- Posted this in another thread. Curious as to your take on the match-ups.

I'm curious as to how they will play against Matt and Steven. Both their starting guards (Kitchen and Snaer) are equal in size at 6'4" and 6'5", but both are around 200lbs. They also have Reid at one of the forward spots and he is 6'8/235. I'd guess Snaer will be on Meech with Kitchen on either Gray or Bouldin. I'm guessing Gray and they put Reid on Bouldin to match his weight and give him some length. That could cause some trouble for Matt, though I'm not sure how quick Reid is as Matt has that surprisingly quick first step.

I'd guess Singleton will play on Harris. This will be the match-up to watch and probably will go a long ways in deciding the game. Elias will have to take care of the ball as it sounds like Singleton is great at creating turnovers (or at least capitalizing on the ones the team creates).

Sacre is also going to have to play a tough inside game. I would be more happy to see him rebound tough as opposed to score a lot. We are also going to have to push the ball up and try to score quickly and not get slogged down in the offensive end. As some have said, could this be the game Bol makes a huge splash on the national stage? I hope so!

I'm sure Few and Co. already have a game plan drawn up. We do have a lot of scoring options, so FSU will have to be on their game at multiple positions and not try to shut down just one or two players.

I keep thinking back to the Cincy game and how bruising it was. That's what I picture of this game. I think this is definitely where it pays off the OOC schedule we played (whether the other teams have high RPI's or not). We've played far away from home and in some very trying and difficult venues (NY, Maui, Illinois, Memphis).

If this team can focus, and I think they can, I think they can win this. They've shown they can get up for big stretches of games, and this is the BIG one.

ZAGNOLE
03-14-2010, 08:36 PM
...is the worry as to which team will show up. In games where the offense suddenly clicked, the team looked quite devastating.

The D is always there (although sometimes completely blind to stopping what's working for the other guys, as we just do our thing and let them do whatever it is they are going to ultimately torch us with again and again, without even simple adjustments....).

When we have the ball, you will almost certainly see lots of random turnovers (I respect the Zag's ability to force the same, but we would turn the ball over 12-15 times against a team of corpses), and at least one 7-10 minute scoreless (or less than 2 or 3 points anyway) stretch.

It's frustrating as all heck watching this team.

I think the sentiment of a few on this board that being sent to buffalo is some disadvantage for GU is overblown. Buffalo might as well be Mars in relation to Tally, and if I'm a board neutral fan I'm more likely to cheer to for the Zags than the Noles.

rawkmandale
03-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Do Ted Turner and Jane Fonda still go to Noles games? Just kidding....

ZAGNOLE
03-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Do Ted Turner and Jane Fonda still go to Noles games? Just kidding....

He owns a huge plantation not 20 miles outside of town. It's a little known fact that many of the few surviving southern plantations are right around Tally, particularly between Tally and Thomasville, Ga.

crockdaddy
03-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Should the first from the hand of the gray one fall,
Thus is the path made bare and the rough road paved.
Should such stroke be amiss, head will hang longer than hand,
And on the fickle whims of fate will the fortunes of dogs rely.

rawkmandale
03-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Beautiful...and possibly true.

TerpZag
03-15-2010, 12:04 AM
A look behind FSU's ACC Conference record:

FSU finished third in the ACC with a regular season record of 10-6 and the Seminoles were 0-1 in the ACC Tournament. Like all over-sized BCS Conferences, FSU played an unbalanced conference schedule.

Against the top half of the ACC, the Seminoles went 2-5.

Against #1 Duke, FSU lost 1 Away game.

Against #2 Maryland, FSU lost 1 Away and lost 1 @ Home.

Against #4 VA Tech, FSU won 1 @ Home.

Against #5 Clemson, FSU lost 1 Away and lost 1 @ Home.

Against #6 Wake Forest, FSU won 1 @ Home.

Against the bottom half of the ACC, the Seminoles went 8-2.

Against #7 GA Tech, FSU won 1 Away and won 1 @ Home.

Against #8 Boston College, FSU won 1 Away and won 1 @ Home.

Against #9, NC State, FSU lost 1 @ Home and lost 1 Neutral.

Against #10, UNC, FSU won 1 Away game.

Against #11, UVA, FSU won 1 Away game.

Against #12, Miami (Fla), FSU won 1 @ Home and won 1 Away game.

OOC, FSU's best win was against Marquette 57-56 at a neutral site. FSU's two OOC loses were to Florida and to Ohio St. both Away games.

jim77
03-15-2010, 12:40 AM
We aren't gonna win this game without some outside scoring...in fact more outside scoring will be required to have a chance. We need as many attempts as possible. Instead of getting pass crazy we need to screen for players to get an open look....ala "WILL STYLE" . The noles love lots of weak passes as they will gobble them up.....PAC MAN style.

rawkmandale
03-15-2010, 07:24 AM
I agree about the passing, but think we need to try and get their post player in foul trouble, which should then help our rebounding. We need Harris to be active in getting to the hole, and hope the refs will call fouls that he draws. Sacre will have to be active in the paint also. If Singleton is on Harris rather than Bouldin, then Matt or Steven have to get to the basket on occasion.

A few threes won't hurt, but I'd hate to rely on that.

We might get some turnovers (they are susceptable to that) and run outs. They will be surprised how well we run the floor.

rawkmandale
03-15-2010, 07:51 AM
HOOPSWORLD's pick: Gonzaga

(8) Gonzaga Bulldogs: Gonzaga is headed for its 12th consecutive NCAA Tournament after starting the season outside of the Top 25 and losing four starters from last year's team to professional basketball. Freshman forward Elias Harris came out of relative obscurity to help the Gonzaga win its tenth consecutive West Coast Conference Championship and playing his way into the first round of the 2010 NBA Draft. Harris, along with senior Matt Bouldin and junior Steven Gray, earned first team All-WCC honors this season while leading the team in rebounding and finishing second (behind Bouldin) in scoring at 14.7 points per game. This was thought to be a re-building year for Gonzaga and, in some ways, it has been. The Zags, while playing one of the most difficult non-conference schedules in the country, have only one win outside of WCC play against an RPI Top 25 team (74-61 over Wisconsin on a neutral court on Nov. 24) and have two miserable losses (RPI No. 204 San Francisco and RPI No. 176 Loyola-Marymount).

(9) Florida State Seminoles: Leonard Hamilton has one of deepest rotations in the country, playing nine players at least 13 minutes per game and getting after it defensively. Florida State leads the nation in field goal percentage defense and ranks inside the top 28 in four other defensive categories, steals per game (8.4), blocked shots per game (6.3), rebound margin (5.2) and scoring defense (60.2). Solomon Alabi and Chris Singleton form arguably the nation's best pair of defensive big men, combining for nearly four blocks and three steals per game while helping the Seminoles to a 22-9 (10-6 ACC) record. Florida State lacks a statement win on it resume, but did sweep the season series with Georgia Tech. On the other hand, the Seminoles went 0-3 against the RPI Top 25 and were swept by a North Carolina State team that won just five games in the ACC this year.

HOOPSWORLD's pick: Gonzaga. The Bulldogs will push the pace, using early offense and transition buckets to take Florida State's inside duo of Solomon Alabi and Chris Singleton out of the game.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/college/story.asp?STORY_ID=15579

Bogozags
03-15-2010, 08:47 AM

IMHO, I firmly believe the key is:

A. The play of Robert: (1) staying out of foul trouble early; (2) keeping his man off the boards; and (3) getting the ball and scoring early & often.

B. Elias getting into the flow early

C. Executing in Transition

D. Strong perimeter defense, which will help our front line.

It wouldn't hurt for us to limit our TO's and hit our FT's.

hooter73
03-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Ok honestly I see Goodson and Olynik as big keys to this game. Meech pushing the tempo and NOT going to the rim with 4 guys pusing 7 feet tall under there to deny him and Kelly for some craftiness that he has consistantly shown. Yeah hes had a little slump lately but if he has a good game to back up Rob and Will inside and get a few steals, it could free up Harris and Kong outside for turning point 3's and of course Gray and Bouldin need to do their scoring thing throughout the game. I think we have a real good shot at FSU. The next game ater that, well lets just say I'm hoping to see history made when a #16 takes down a #1 :)

75Zag
03-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Both FSU and GU had great early season records. Both slipped considerably toward the end of the season. Seems to me that both teams have the horses to win the game, and it might just come down to which coaching staff is better able to motivate their team to return to early season winning form. My money is on Few and his staff.

GU does not want to get behind FSU early. They appear to have a very effective "lock down" style of defense that they can employ if they get a respectable lead. Hope GU inside men can score early and often and that somebody for GU gets a little hot/lucky at the 3 point shot.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

sdzag
03-15-2010, 09:20 AM
I think that this game will come down to Steven. Gray will have the pleasure of defending a highly ranked frosh guard in Snaer. He had a slow start to the year but has been tearing it up lately. Gonzaga has always found a way of letting these type of players go huge in big games and so Gray has a big assignment. Steven has disappeared offensively in games when he has a major defensive assignment. For us to win Steven has to be aggressive offensively. He may not make them all but he can't be tentative.

5 Observations:
1. Meech is Meech and if we need a runner with 4 seconds left I pick him but am not expecting anything else out of him on the O side of the ball.

2. Key 1B to the game is Matty. Matt cannot be average. He needs to prove that he is one of the greatest guards in Gonzaga history this weekend.

3. Post fouls. If Big Will and Meech are in we play 3 on 5 basketball when on Offense. Rob and Harris keep those arms straight in the air so that you can stay on the court. Also Harris play D!

4. Kelly or Bol has to go into double digit scoring. If Matt, Steven, and Harris combine for 45 that leaves an extra 20-30 points for the win. Rob will have trouble scoring in the post and so that leaves an extra couple buckets that need to put in.

5. Defense. The team needs to play D. FSU doesn't have a dominate player and so the key will be not letting them get hot or go on runs. If we can keep them close I feel we win this game.

SUSpokanative
03-15-2010, 09:46 AM
We don't have to be. Seems like Foster will need to play some big minutes. This game will need coaching adjustments big time. Is it just me, or was Foster the only inside presence we had against the smc LIVE BY THE THREE BALL GAELS? Once he got his minutes, didn't see him again?!

RenoZag
03-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Matt will get double teamed and face guarded throughout. FSU will look at the Duke game tape and recognize the Zags are not the greatest team at beating the press and attempt to take it to GU's ball handlers.

Still think GU can win, but if we have to live by the three, we'll die by it.

Friday afternoon can't come soon enough.

rawkmandale
03-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Sdzag mentions Snaer. The FSU board has a post that suggests Snaer become the McDonald's boy that he was in high school, saying that the poster anticipates a travel or other turnover every time Snaer touches the ball. Let's trap this guy (number 21) on every touch and see what happens.

Bogozags
03-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Matt will get double teamed and face guarded throughout. FSU will look at the Duke game tape and recognize the Zags are not the greatest team at beating the press and attempt to take it to GU's ball handlers.

Still think GU can win, but if we have to live by the three, we'll die by it.

Friday afternoon can't come soon enough.

I've seen FSU play as well and they are a very talented team and believe they will play each of our players even-up, unless Meech is in the game at which point they will "cheat" defensively. I really feel Matt, Steve and Meech will have to hold their own and if they were to double team, then it would be on Elias or if Sacre gets off, then he will see a double team. If BK, Gibbs or GJ are playing then they will be forced to be more honest on defense.

Pressing us might work well and I feel confident that we will take it as an opportunity to move the ball down court and score. Get a two-on-one with Harris and Sacre against their big, who will be playing the "safety." Moving the ball quickly against the press is key...don't dribble through it but find the creases in the zone and then attack it.

FSU can down right play and they will be a very difficult opponent. They are very athletic and we have had issues with athletic teams in the past (Memphis) and hopefully, those issues are in our past. I believe us to be more experienced and with more court savvy as well.

BlueVoodoo07
03-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Foster will be used for blocks and to suck up fouls so Sacre doesn't get in trouble.

rawkmandale
03-15-2010, 12:40 PM
A post on the Noles board:

I watched a couple of the Zags games early in the year and was very impressed with Elias Harris. He's a freshmen and probably even better now. I think Singleton and Reid should be able to contain him somewhat, but he's going to be tough. Bouldin is also good, but I think Snaer and Dulky's should do alright on him. Sacre is pretty physical from what I remember and will probably push Solomon and Xavier around.

Overall, we should match up well with them defensively, but they won't have as much trouble with our size as some teams do.

Houston Zag
03-15-2010, 01:14 PM
If the zags play their game they can win. They shouldn't do anything different than they have done all year. Sacre and Harris need to step it up and take ownership of the paint. Our guard need to dominate like they have all year. GU as a team has more than FSU who appears to be all defense and nothing else.

U Zig, I Zag
03-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Everything else aside, Few and Co need to make adjustments when needed. I will kick a hole in my TV if I have to watch us do the same thing over and over with no affect.

If they ride Matt like crazy and he gets frustrated then yank him and give him some rest. Go with speed and play a quicker game then get Matt back in when they are a little worn.

I see it like this... if we come down, spend 8 seconds trying to get it into Rob only to have a bad shot and lose the rebound or he puts it on the floor and they immediately steal it then we are in trouble.

If we come down, move the ball with passing instead of dribbling and our first basket is Matt, Steven or Elias on an easy backdoor play then the game is ours to lose.

gamagin
03-15-2010, 01:51 PM
we win.

Everyone focuses. We need to concentrate on how we play, not who they are & what they do.

Few mentioned on Hudson's show today that he decided to work them hard for 3 days after the SMC loss. Hudson didn't ask about all the sickness we all have heard about, just whether the time off was good or bad for the team.

the bottom line was Few decided neither injuries nor sicknesses were enough to go easy on them over the weekend and ran and coached them hard, he said.

He said the next few days the emphasis will turn to films, walk throughs and travel. He said assistants had already reviewed films and next was to show them to the team. Here's hoping we know more about them than they do us come tipoff.

I think, finally, whichever shows and turns in the best defensive effort will make up for the other deficiencies and tip the scales.

RS and big Will, too, should be able to jam up enough of the inside to force them to take unfamiliar shots, while Meech, MB & SG play the games of their lives while capitolizing on our end with intelligent drives, dishes and shots.

BK, KO and whoever else gets the call needs to step up immediately, like Manny did until his break and I think we've got an excellent chance.

Hoopaholic
03-15-2010, 02:02 PM
I WANT meech pushing the ball straight to the paint.....FSU tendency is to collapse to the middle to contain this type of ball pressure..thus opening up outside shooting lanes on the fast break for Bouldin, Gray, KO, BK as trailers or lane fillers....this will BE KEY in my opinion....
he wont be looking to score he will be looking to draw the FS bigs to him so he can kick out to the open look on a Fast break situation......

In addition, he is going to be big on the full court defensive pressure side of things in this game. Not sold the FS guards will handle the constant, quick , harassing style of Meech.

KO will be the other key in that once he is inserted, FS will have to decide how to guard him....honor his shooting ability, he will go around the 7'1 center, slack off him hope he hits his open jumpers.......

Will will suck up the fouls and put a pounding on the 7'1 center...tire him out...look for situational substitution to have will in to pound, when the 7 footer gets tired and pulled to bench, re-insert Sacre to get few points in the paint and force FS to reinsert the tired center......

Look for Gray to go off in the 15-18 foot range if FS decides to press us.....we wont get layups but Gray will get open looks free throw line extended off the press break

I am ready......I know the boys are ready, rested and healed up .....time to play ball

crockdaddy
03-15-2010, 02:21 PM
I know it's not the same Zags team, but facing Alabi reminds me of when the Zags played UCONN and Thabeet last year. They game-planned well, took him out of the paint, got him foul trouble, and basically negated him. If KO can do his best Josh impression, then maybe it can be a similar story.

75Zag
03-15-2010, 03:22 PM
DON'T BE INTIMIDATED BY SIZE . . .We don't have to be. ...................

Funny, that's what I used to tell the other guys in the showers after football practice to try and make them feel better.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programing.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Jedster
03-15-2010, 03:31 PM
KO will be the other key in that once he is inserted, FS will have to decide how to guard him....honor his shooting ability, he will go around the 7'1 center, slack off him hope he hits his open jumpers.......

This is what I have been thinking. Their center is 7'1", and honestly I have no idea how well he moves. I'd guess for most 7 footers, they usually aren't the most mobile. With Kelly's ball handling ability and quickness, have him come out to challenge KO outside a bit. KO can then have the option to pass or drive. This will be an interesting match-up.

jim77
03-15-2010, 03:40 PM
The FSU center is quicker than KO....I wouldn't look for Matt to have much room either. The idea of Meech running them and making them pursue him is good though.....he's the quickest guy on either team. The other thing I notices is the athletism of FSU drops after the starting 5.

rawkmandale
03-15-2010, 09:31 PM
From Jim Meahan's blog tonight:

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/mar/15/seminoles-d-livering/

FSU struggles at the free-throw line (64.6 percent), but the biggest culprit has been turnovers (16.8 per game).

“We’ll play against people who pressure and we’ll turn it over three times,” Hamilton said. “And we’ll turn it over 17 times in the half-court. We’ll step out of bounds, throw it to somebody who’s not looking. We’ve invented ways to turn the ball over.

“Sometimes we play like a veteran team and sometimes we play like a team that has one junior and one senior.”

Sometimes they play well at both ends of the court.

“As long as our offense shows up, I think when we get rolling we can match up with anybody,” Singleton said.

Democratic Nole
03-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Alabi is 7'1", but he is not a good defender away from the basket. He is long and is a good shot blocker, both when matched up in the post and coming from the weak side. FSU should run a zone, but Leonard Hamilton is often incapable of making good coaching decisions, so expect FSU to play mostly straight up man-to-man defense. If Alabi can't guard your center on the wing, they will move Reid to the 5, Singleton to the 4, and play with three guards.

rawkmandale
03-16-2010, 06:40 PM
From the Noles chat board:

There's a few videos on youtube if you want to check out some game footage of Gonzaga either by looking them up or their opponents! Gives you a feel of their guard play. From what i've seen they look very slow of foot . . . hell sometimes they make Louck's lateral movement look quick and I saw some lazy passes against San Francisco. As a matter of fact their defensive rotation while they were playing a zone was pretty slow when San Francisco had good (not exceptional) ball movement. From what I hear, they may start out in a zone to see if we'll hit our shots and that might not be a bad thing. That being said, anyone could make a highlight reel of our bloopers and shortcomings . . . still gives you an idea of what we'll be facing.

MickMick
03-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Response to Rawk's post above here:

They (like many internet pundits) are still stuck on the Gonzaga stereotype. People that don't watch the Zags play always say the same thing:

Slow
Can't defend
Unathletic
Shoots the ball very well
Don't make mistakes
Well coached
Untested from playing against inferior competition.

In fact this is the nice tidy generic label put on just about every non BCS school. A "one size fits all" summation that you see over and over. Sometimes it is true, sometimes it isn't. From Butler to BYU, Cornell to Gonzaga, it is the unimformed analysis to "mid major" basketball.

I will say that the Zags have not fit this generic label for some time now.

They are very athletic. They have defended extremely well at times. They have shot poorly at times. They have had one man fast breaks blow by BCS guards with blinding speed. They have played tough competition....even within their own conference and are very tested.

The one constant (in my opinion) is that they have always been well coached.

fedwayzag
03-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Is this a game where we will see Rob and Will in at the same time. Will could give Alabi problems. I believe Rob is mobile enough to stay on Singleton. Harris then could guard Reid, same size. Helps to not create a mis-match for singleton to exploit. It might work best for matt and steven even, guarding Snaer and Kitchen. size wise we match up perfectly. With advantages at center and power forward. I would love to see it.