Angelo Roncalli
03-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Could not have been much worse.

primal23
03-14-2010, 02:14 PM
1 and done :(

willandi
03-14-2010, 02:17 PM
This is why I think there needs to be more transparency/accountability. How did the committee vary so far from what all the experts had chosen? I know the committee isn't bound by anything the experts have said, but I would like them to HAVE to justify the seeds.

whatazag
03-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Wow, too bad we couldn't switch spots with BYU.
Not looking good.

omahazag
03-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Yikes - can't believe they are shipping us across the country.

adoptedzag
03-14-2010, 02:20 PM
even IF we get by one of the best defensive teams in the country, our reward is to play Syracuse IN buffalo.

UGH!

Vanzagger
03-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Let's go do what we do. WEST COAST!!!

get tougher

GoZags
03-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Zags will be fine

U Zig, I Zag
03-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Always getting screwed. What a crock.

Crusader Rick
03-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Where next year, Gary, Indiana. YUCK!

Gonzdb8
03-14-2010, 02:29 PM
we're on our way to a 12th consecutive dance despite 3 bad losses in conference, including a beatdown by a mediocre st. marys team on national tv, and a lack of signature/top 50 RPI wins. plus, this is a very winnable first round game. things could be a whole heck of a lot worse as far as i'm concerned.

Once and Future Zag
Anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Did we get hosed? Yes. Who cares? It wouldn't be Selection Sunday without us getting hosed somehow - it's a decade-long tradition now.

Birddog
I hate our selection luck.
Luck is where preparation and opportunity come together. We all saw the preparation.

bigblahla
03-14-2010, 02:30 PM
It's not the matchups it's the time zone, BS we're an #8, what a screw job.

Go!! Zags!!!

Jakester425
03-14-2010, 02:34 PM
ND a f****** 6?:mad:

bigblahla
03-14-2010, 02:34 PM
we're on our way to a 12th consecutive dance despite 3 bad losses in conference, including a beatdown by a mediocre st. marys team on national tv, and a lack of signature/top 50 RPI wins. plus, this is a very winnable first round game. things could be a whole heck of a lot worse as far as i'm concerned.

You couldn't be more wrong in your assessment of SMC and LMU.

Learn the game before you expose your ignorance.

Go!! Zags!!!

CB4
03-14-2010, 02:37 PM
I love this draw. Brings us back to our Cinderella roots. Don't be cynical guys, the Zags are going to be pumped up with this draw. We should beat FSU. Syracuse is beatable. Look at our road after that. Can't wait for it to start. :D :D :D :D

whatazag
03-14-2010, 02:40 PM

I agree with this. Don't think we really got screwed at all, just wish we had ended up not heading to NY. I think Florida State is a pretty decent matchup for us in a lot of ways. No matter what we will have to play our best ball every game to advance.

GUinSTL
03-14-2010, 02:40 PM
How does ND get a 6?

gamagin
03-14-2010, 02:41 PM
we've historically competed against some of the best. And done well. In strange gyms.

We need to put it all together post-SMC and this is just another opportunity to bring the A game we all know is in there somewhere.

So it doesn't matter against whom we play or even where, but where we are, as a team, between our ears.

We need to tune in, focus and go for it somewhere, so Buffalo is as good as any, given all the "stuff" in our resume'.

rawkmandale
03-14-2010, 02:43 PM
I actually LOVE this, considering that we dropped to an eight. Syracuse is the best possible matchup with a 1, and we are in the West Region, meaning that if we can get past these two teams (thank God - not matched up with a mid-major!) we get to go to Salt Lake City for the regional.

Syracuse lost their last two games, right? They lost an exhibition game to a D2 team. Vermont beat them before in the tourny - first 16 over a 1 this time? Syracuse will be VERY focused on Vermont - then might have to play little old US!

Obviously, attention needs to turn first to Florida State, and we'll all do our research,

I'm a very happy guy. This is FAR better than the Davidson disaster draw.

gamagin
we've historically competed against some of the best. And done well. In strange gyms.

We need to put it all together post-SMC and this is just another opportunity to bring the A game we all know is in there somewhere.

So it doesn't matter against whom we play or even where, but where we are, as a team, between our ears & inside 40 minutes vs. Fla State or anyone else.

We need to tune in, focus and go for it somewhere, so Buffalo is as good as any, given all the "stuff" in our resume'.

Gonzdb8
You couldn't be more wrong in your assessment of SMC and LMU.

Learn the game before you expose your ignorance.

Go!! Zags!!!

how about you make an argument rather than just resorting to ad homs? smc likely wouldn't have made the dance without beating us and lmu, while on the rise, is still a "bad loss". point was that those losses hurt...a lot...and there is no denying it. we also didn't have any signature wins to hang out hat on, which i guess you don't have an answer to (except that i'm apparently ignorant so i must be wrong on that one as well). we went from a possible 3 seed in spokane to an 8 seed in buffalo so i guess my "ignorance" is shared by the committee. again, things could be much worse. but thanks for the insult. hope it made you feel a little better about yourself and our seeding/location.

MickMick
03-14-2010, 02:49 PM
I like it.

FSU is tall and the Zags can handle tall. Facing Samhan three times is excellent preparation for this. Facing Will in practice every day doesn't hurt either.

It is the extremely quick teams that scare me.

Of all the #1 seeds, I would prefer facing Syracuse over the other three. SU is on a semi losing streak and is not playing their best ball right now. Zags need to shoot over that zone. This is the game where Bol Kong can break into the national spotlight in a big, big way.

Could have been much worse. Much worse.

Jedster
03-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Not a great draw, but we'll have to live with it and start preparing. What is the update on the Syracuse player who hurt his knee? How bad was it?

What sucks the most is I have tickets in Spokane on Friday and Sunday, which is the same dates GU plays! To rub salt in the wound, UW is playing Thursday/Saturday and I am visiting my in-laws who are Husky fans so I'll have to watch that game. Grrr... Hope Marquette stomps them.

Anyone know when gametimes are announced?

VinnyZag
03-14-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm not going to worry about Syracuse just yet.

I don't know anything about Florida State. Just looked up their sked ... they started 13-2, then went 9-7 since Jan. 10. Looks like they beat everybody they were supposed to and lost to everybody they were supposed to. Anybody know anything about the Seminoles?

billyberu
03-14-2010, 02:58 PM
I haven't heard this much whining since 2002. I sure hope the team isn't as disappointed as many of you seem to be. I'll take this draw and I'm confident the Zags have the talent to match up and beat these teams.

btzag
03-14-2010, 03:04 PM
First off people, please don't try and use the committee as justification for your argument that we deserve an 8 seed. That group does a good job but their seeding decisions year in and year out make no sense and really cannot be argued for.

For example this year they put in eight big east teams and seed them a 1, two 2's, two 3's, two 6's, and a nine. No way Marquette and ND deserve a higher seed then us. ND had 11 losses AND LOST TO LMU AT HOME!

Then you have OK st. getting a 7! Best non-conf win was against Stanford and they then go 9-7 in conference play. Wow, try and argue that the committee got that one right.

Let's move on to Clemson, a 10 loss team that picked up a nice win against Butler in non-conf but offset by a loss to ILL and A&M. Then go into conf play and go 9-7 in a weak ACC which included a 2-7 road record. Again argue that one for me...

gonwick
03-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Excellent defense seems to be their hallmark, which makes me very nervous. This will be a tough game.

23dpg
03-14-2010, 03:06 PM
This is a terrible seed for the Zags, having to fly, again, all the way back east to play in a pod with 3 east coast teams. That being said, they had the power to play their way elsewhere but didn't.

Go Zags!!!!!!!!!!!

NYCZAG
03-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Hey I get to go to the Game-Excited to go Friday-

zagamatic
03-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Ok, so we admittadely had some bad losses towards the end, but Villanova has lost what, 5 games since the beginning of February including getting knocked out in the first round of their tourney, they get a 2 seed and we get stuck with an 8 and get shipped across the country. Total B.S. Not that it really matters much in the end because you still have to win your games and after the first round, none of em are easy. Not that Florida St. is easy

cbbfanatic
03-14-2010, 03:20 PM
how about you make an argument rather than just resorting to ad homs? smc likely wouldn't have made the dance without beating us and lmu, while on the rise, is still a "bad loss". point was that those losses hurt...a lot...and there is no denying it. we also didn't have any signature wins to hang out hat on, which i guess you don't have an answer to (except that i'm apparently ignorant so i must be wrong on that one as well). we went from a possible 3 seed in spokane to an 8 seed in buffalo so i guess my "ignorance" is shared by the committee. again, things could be much worse. but thanks for the insult. hope it made you feel a little better about yourself and our seeding/location.

happens a lot around here. seems to be that some think "strength in numbers" actually strengthens an argument/emotional outburst

the seeding is fine. it sucks to have to travel like that, but dont lose to sub 200 rpi teams and you can avoid that. to blame the committee is ludicrous.

a few teams can complain (kansas, temple, even kentucky a little) but GU isnt one of them, in my opinion (esp if onuaku is out). first things first though, FSU.

which brings me to another question i have, and id love to get some serious responses... why do some of you seem relieved to not be playing a mid major in round 1? are you not aware of the winning percentages of mid major vs high major in the first weekend of the ncaa tournament (even excluding the 14s, 15s, and 16)?

mids getting to the sweet 16, even rd of 32, will grab headlines because it is a story, but its a story because it does not happen as often and is considered a cinderella story or upset (in most cases) for a REASON

gonstu
03-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Seems to me, looking at the other "8" seeds, Syracuse got screwed in this bracket! To be the best, you have to beat the best. This team can lose to any one and beat any one. I say let's bring on the one seed, test this young team, and see what they can do. I'm excited for this Friday and hopefully Sunday! Go Zags!

LynetteG
03-14-2010, 03:22 PM
I actually LOVE this, considering that we dropped to an eight. Syracuse is the best possible matchup with a 1, and we are in the West Region, meaning that if we can get past these two teams (thank God - not matched up with a mid-major!) we get to go to Salt Lake City for the regional.

Syracuse lost their last two games, right? They lost an exhibition game to a D2 team. Vermont beat them before in the tourny - first 16 over a 1 this time? Syracuse will be VERY focused on Vermont - then might have to play little old US!

Obviously, attention needs to turn first to Florida State, and we'll all do our research,

I'm a very happy guy. This is FAR better than the Davidson disaster draw.

this is the best possible bracket to get to the FF IMHO. Unfortunately we have to go to Buffalo, but we have time to travel and it'll be for the first two games. Let's bring it back to SLC Zags!!!!! I truly believe, if we are playing our best basketball we CAN get to the Final Four!

23dpg
03-14-2010, 03:30 PM
which brings me to another question i have, and id love to get some serious responses... why do some of you seem relieved to not be playing a mid major in round 1? are you not aware of the winning percentages of mid major vs high major in the first weekend of the ncaa tournament (even excluding the 14s, 15s, and 16)?

mids getting to the sweet 16, even rd of 32, will grab headlines because it is a story, but its a story because it does not happen as often and is considered a cinderella story or upset (in most cases) for a REASON

Easy answer. Because there is a commonality and a sort of brotherhood with all of the mid majors.

cbbfanatic
03-14-2010, 03:35 PM
First off people, please don't try and use the committee as justification for your argument that we deserve an 8 seed. That group does a good job but their seeding decisions year in and year out make no sense and really cannot be argued for.

For example this year they put in eight big east teams and seed them a 1, two 2's, two 3's, two 6's, and a nine. No way Marquette and ND deserve a higher seed then us. ND had 11 losses AND LOST TO LMU AT HOME!

Then you have OK st. getting a 7! Best non-conf win was against Stanford and they then go 9-7 in conference play. Wow, try and argue that the committee got that one right.

Let's move on to Clemson, a 10 loss team that picked up a nice win against Butler in non-conf but offset by a loss to ILL and A&M. Then go into conf play and go 9-7 in a weak ACC which included a 2-7 road record. Again argue that one for me...

notre dame beat georgetown (3), west virginia (2), and pittsburgh (3) twice, and marquette (6)

marquette beat xavier (6), georgetown (3), louisville (9), and villanova (2)

gonzaga beat wisconsin (4) and st marys twice (10)

gonzagas bad losses are as bad as either of theirs - that is a virtual wash... i think the tournament committee should reward big wins as much as possible. i really dont get the argument about marquette or notre dame. i think some of you underrate how hard the road is in january - march in these big conferences. it really is one tough game after another. unless you're a 1-3 seed type team, you are going to compile some losses... its inevitable and doesnt mean you arent worthy of a decent seed - hell, gtown is a 3 with double digit losses. high risk, high reward. nothing ventured, nothing gained.

cbbfanatic
03-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Easy answer. Because there is a commonality and a sort of brotherhood with all of the mid majors.

fair enough. i guess i got the feeling that the idea was that it is easier to beat them. the camaraderie angle makes perfect sense, when the tourney rolls around its like one huge conference i suppose.

23dpg
03-14-2010, 03:45 PM
fair enough. i guess i got the feeling that the idea was that it is easier to beat them. the camaraderie angle makes perfect sense, when the tourney rolls around its like one huge conference i suppose.

Yes, I think it was just a misinterpretation. Much like you are mostly a Nova fan(I think), you still root for the other Big East teams in the tourney....same with Washington and Cal fans rooting hard against each yesterday, now they are pro Pac10.

RenoZag
03-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Depends on which version of the Zags shuffles off to Buffalo. Digger & Dickie V gave the Zags some props ( if they can get past the 'noles ) and think they can give Syracuse a run for their money.

Gonzaga isn't the only Western US team forced to rack up the air miles:

San Diego St: Providence, RI
California - Jacksonville, FL
St. Mary's - Providence, RI

Washington ( San Jose ), New Mexico State ( Spokane), BYU ( Ok City), New Mexico ( San Jose ), Utah State ( Spokane ) all get to play closer to home than the Zags.

kylasdad
03-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Playing another mid major is kind of like kissing your cousin.

The all knowing Jeff Foxworthy once said:
"If you go to family reunions to meet women, you might be a redneck."

ZagDaddy
03-14-2010, 03:49 PM
I actually don't think this draw is a bad thing for this group of Zags. This team needs to be dialed in to perform their best. They tend to not come ready to play when they don't have to win or they are playing a lesser opponent.

That's why I think tough early round match ups might be better for this team. I am more worried with them taking an opponent for granted than playing a tougher team early. Sure, either situation could result in a one and done but I personally feel more comfortable with what they will bring playing a tougher team early than playing a team they are "suppose" to beat.

More than the opponent, I'm concerned about the health of this team. MB looks like he is playing really hurt to me (Not to mention the loss of Manny which messes with rotations.). If I'm right about MB I hope the rest does him good.

Just_An_Old_Zag
03-14-2010, 03:49 PM
speaking of tickets in spokane..anyone want to buy mine??? LOL

bigblahla
03-14-2010, 03:51 PM

Look if you really don't know how good LMU and SMC are I can't teach you with a post here that's why I said learn the game. It's not about me it's about your ignorant post that you backed up by giving credence to the committee as being intelligent about the selection process. They aren't coaches they're administrators and guess what they don't know how good LMU is either but my consolation is that the match-ups are fine I just think the time zone was a slight.

If you're offended, sorry, I can't help that but the folks who know hoops here will all disagree with your opinion about the quality of LMU & SMC.

It aint just wins and losses kid it's how you play and if you think those teams play badly you don't know hoops.

GO!! Zags!!!

bartruff1
03-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Buffalo...very similar to Spokane...not on Omar's List of "Best Places to Play"... just play hard and smart and make the simple play...just keep sawing wood and just maybe they will beat FSU....at least we don't have to play their football team....this will be great fun...go Zags...

Nevtelen
03-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Honestly, I've thought all season that Syracuse is taylor-made to be a Zag killer. We've never had anything resembling an answer for Wesley Johnson-type long, skilled wing players the whole season. This team does much better off the drive overall than shooting 3s against a zone. They've also struggled against long teams that use their long reach to disrupt ball movement, which is what SU is great at.

Florida St will be a test, no question - especially with the injuries the team has and the way they've played down the stretch. I think it's about a 50/50 shot IMO. If key guys have used their time off to recover, we could beat Florida St. To beat SU, though, it will take the best game played in the history of GU basketball, honestly.

cbbfanatic - to answer your question, not only is it the mid-major fraternity kind of idea, but for whatever reason I'd say that GU teams have tended to play better vs Big 6 competition than vs mid-majors over the years.

And I really don't know the %, but I'd say the reason that there are (relatively) few mid-majors in the later rounds has as much to do with seeding as with anything else. I'd much rather face a BCS team as a high-single digit tourney team than a mid-major: most of the mids have the kind of hunger and drive that a lot of middle-of-the-pack BCS squads lack, IMO, and they also know how to win because they've either won or nearly won their conferences.

SFZAG95
03-14-2010, 03:58 PM
happy with the opponents not happy with ny and the seed...I guess the rankings are b.s.

NYCZAG
03-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Is anyone coming this way for the FSU GAME?-I am going solo-

fedwayzag
03-14-2010, 04:10 PM
we got exactly what we deserved. That is we are in the tournement. As Few said " we need to control what we can control". We did not and I think we got what we deserve. Personally I am glad we are in the tournement. We are lucky to be in and as someone said. You have to play the best to be the best. Let's play the games adn let the chips fall where they may. I will be proud of the team whatever happens as long as they play with intensity, which has been there bugaboo this year.

ellenvega
03-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Agree. We had our chances, no use agonizing over what could've been.

Concentrate no further than Florida State. Syracuse isn't in the second round yet, either.

surfmonkey89
03-14-2010, 04:34 PM
We lost twice to San Francisco?!

No wonder we're an 8!

Zagpower
03-14-2010, 04:35 PM
No problem with opponent.

I'm with the other poster who said, this is bad because it's on the same days as the Spokane Regional.

Worst possible scenario if you had Spokane tix like many of us do.

roxdoc
03-14-2010, 04:38 PM
FedwayZag I agree with you completely - we got what we deserve for our play in the last half of the conference season. We have one more chance to show what kind of a team we really are - go for it guys!

BlueVoodoo07
03-14-2010, 04:38 PM
We lost twice to San Francisco?!

No wonder we're an 8!
No we didn't do your homework

Zag365
03-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Anyone, anytime, anywhere.

'nuff said. Let's play!

Rbo
03-14-2010, 04:53 PM
speaking of tickets in spokane..anyone want to buy mine??? LOL

I was hoping the UW would get a first round draw in Spokane so I could scalp my tickets to a Husky, at a premium, and not feel any remorse.

HOOTER
03-14-2010, 05:03 PM
I feel like this should bother me, but it doesn't. The matchup isn't bad. The location isn't great, but I'm not sure anyone travels more than the Zags so it's nothing new. All things considered, I'm quite excited for the tourney to start.

BobZag
03-14-2010, 05:05 PM
'nuff said. Let's play!

Ditto.

Waaaay too much whining. Do one shot better than 2003 and it'll be magic in 2010.

McZag
03-14-2010, 05:05 PM
If we took care of business in Vegas, we would be in Spokane for the first weekend.

The fact that we didnt is not the committee's fault.

There are hundreds of teams who would kill to be an 8 seed in Buffalo. Let's just roll up our sleeves, get our Zag lunch pails and go to work.

Its just what we do here.

bartruff1
03-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Gee...it's not like Florida is next door....this is like a home game for the Canadians ...those kids from Florida will be freezing in Buffalo.. I was kinda hoping we would play Kentucky cuz Ashley Juggs goes to all their games...

FlatheadZag
03-14-2010, 05:14 PM
What once looked like a daunting and strong non-conference schedule kind of fell apart. Victories over the likes of Cincinnati, Illinois, Oklahoma and Memphis don't look so great now as none of these teams made the tournament. Against NCAA teams; loss to Duke, loss to Wake Forest and Michigan State. I think our only wins versus tournament teams were Wisconsin and Saint Mary. Thus the unfortunate eight seed. That being said, FSU is really beatable as NC State proved in the ACC Tourney. Then we scan "shock the world" by taking out Syracuse. We've done well in the past as an underdog in the past!

FuManShoes
03-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Hey, at least Matt's excited!!!!! You think he means it?????

Wow!! 8 seed in buffalo ny...let's go!
about 3 hours ago via UberTwitter

IrishEv211
03-14-2010, 05:27 PM
kinda wish that we had st mary's spot so i could see my zags here in rhody....and it would be an easier route to the sweet 16

ZagNative
03-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Steven Gray is seeming pretty bullet-proof and even amused about the whole thing in this raw video on KREM 2. (http://www.krem.com/sports/Steven-Gray-raw-Weve-been-traveling-a-long-way-all-year-87627072.html)

There's one there from Rob, too (http://www.krem.com/sports/Rob-Sacre-unedited-Im-growing-the-playoff-beard-87627212.html), but he's seeming disturbingly mature and non-flippant compared to his usual funny self.

JIMMYMAC
03-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Let's roll up the sleeves and go back to 2009 circa Maui and tear it up!

Seriously, this is the not the worst seeding in the world. To get to the final four, you most likely have to go through a #1 at some point. Why not Cuse when they have their big man injured? Let's focus on one game at a time and hopefully channel some of the energy we had during non conference play!

ZaginLaw
03-14-2010, 05:44 PM
The more I think about the Zags placement the more I like it. Opening round versus a good ACC team? Sweet! That matchup should provide Few an opportunity to focus the team like he hasn't had in the opening round in years. Not to mention the last trip back east prior to Christmas break.

Hey we are in the Dance, just like Lavin use to say, who care's what your seed is, your in the dance, lace them up and play. I'm going to be eating Buffalo wings all week long baby...

It is me or are the 1 vs. 16 matchup's seem to be getting closer and closer in terms of talent?

ZagLawGrad
03-14-2010, 05:51 PM
You'd have to have been blind not to see this coming a mile away. The comment by MB after the SMC game about the Zags losing sight sums up why this has happened.

While the odds are stacked greatly against a Sweet Sixteen, GU can win if they want it bad enough and get some breaks.

I haven't had the great expectations of past seasons for this team, so any wins are gravy.

sullyzag66
03-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Hey, at least Matt's excited!!!!! You think he means it?????
Maybe he wants to see Niagra Falls?

webspinnre
03-14-2010, 06:28 PM
I have no problem with going to Buffalo, or playing FSU. I just don't see the logic in us being an 8 seed. I'm not convinced there's 28 teams in the nation better than us. Still, the draw could've been worse. We could've ended up with Louisville who shoots the lights out from 3, and then KU or UK. FSU will be an interesting matchup, and if we win, Syracuse even more interesting. Time to control what we can.

ZagNative
03-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Video from SWX TV (http://www.swxrightnow.com/Global/category.asp?C=160222&clipId=4620727&topVideoCatNo=155153&autoStart=true) with player reaction and fan reaction on campus.

rawkmandale
03-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Maybe he wants to see Niagra Falls?

Taylor Swift is playing Philadelphia on March 18 and March 19. Guess that's too far away!

NotoriousZ
03-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Syracuse to Buffalo: Head west on I-90 for 151 miles.
Spokane to Buffalo: Head east on I-90 for 2,355 miles.

Getting past a 1 seed to play in the West Regional in Salt Lake, priceless.

ZaginLaw
03-14-2010, 06:54 PM
But we aren't playing 'Cuse.

FSU to Buffalo - North on I-77 & I-70: 1,109 miles

NotoriousZ
03-14-2010, 07:02 PM
did you read the title of my post?

ZaginLaw
03-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Of course I did...

FuManShoes
03-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Like sands through the hourglass ... so will Zagnuts annually berate one another for either looking too far ahead or not dreaming big enough. It's our frickin' prerogative to look ahead to possible matchups -- or not. I know this comes as a shock to some, but we don't actually play or coach for the Zags. Well, actually, I do. In fact it was I who taught Meech and Will how to shoot free throws.

Zagsker
03-14-2010, 08:03 PM
It's not the matchups it's the time zone, BS we're an #8, what a screw job.

Go!! Zags!!!

time zone should not really play a factor..game is at 7:10 eastern (4:10 our time)..fairly average start time for us...I could see if the game started at Noon eastern...but it is a late afternoon game for us

As far as Syracuse goes (IF we get there)...I like our chances..out of all the 1's that is the one I would like to play

MJ777
03-14-2010, 08:13 PM
If we took care of business in Vegas, we would be in Spokane for the first weekend.

The fact that we didnt is not the committee's fault.

There are hundreds of teams who would kill to be an 8 seed in Buffalo. Let's just roll up our sleeves, get our Zag lunch pails and go to work.
Its just what we do here.

Exactly; You know fans, coaches and players of Arizona St, Miss St, VA Tech, UCLA (ugh), UCONN or UNC would gladly be an 8 seed in Buffalo.

Zags still got hosed a little bit though. Syracuse finished with two losses, but did not drop a seed. I guess it is the perception of being blown out by SMC that facilitated the drop of a seed or two or three.

adoptedzag
03-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Mitch from Mitch in the morning is a Syracuse Alum. If we can get there and knock Syracuse out in Buffalo, there will be no end to the hand-wringing for him. :D

Just gotta dispatch FSU first. :)

rawkmandale
03-14-2010, 10:08 PM
ANYTHING to upset _itch in the Morning! Did I hear him say he is a WSU grad? I'm not certain he is a Syracuse grad - I think just a fan. Sheesh, what a _itch.

skan72
03-14-2010, 10:37 PM
One thing I learned this year, when the team I coach got the shaft in our "state" tournament draw and had to play number 1 second round, even though I'm convinced we were the second best team there: griping will get you exactly NO WHERE.

Being negative about it and whining - "what if?", "why there?" "look who we have to play?" - is pointless. Might as well discuss what we need to do to win along the path that has been set before us. We can change nothing, Mark Few can change nothing, Bouldin all the way down to Foster/Stockton/Hart/Dower can change nothing, and even Tommy Loyd (who I think is an awesome guy btw) can change nothing lol.

So, as I told my team this year, let's put our hard hats on and go to work. As long as we play our game and execute it well, we'll be fine and we'll have no regrets.

Get some.

skan72
03-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Gee...it's not like Florida is next door....this is like a home game for the Canadians ...those kids from Florida will be freezing in Buffalo.. I was kinda hoping we would play Kentucky cuz Ashley Juggs goes to all their games...

You spelled Judd wrong...you spelled it...oh wait, never mind... :D

Zag79
03-15-2010, 01:55 AM
So, as I told my team this year, let's put our hard hats on and go to work. As long as we play our game and execute it well, we'll be fine and we'll have no regrets.

Get some.

uh, your team? ;)

What once looked like a daunting and strong non-conference schedule kind of fell apart. Victories over the likes of Cincinnati, Illinois, Oklahoma and Memphis don't look so great now as none of these teams made the tournament. Against NCAA teams; loss to Duke, loss to Wake Forest and Michigan State. I think our only wins versus tournament teams were Wisconsin and Saint Mary. Thus the unfortunate eight seed. That being said, FSU is really beatable as NC State proved in the ACC Tourney. Then we scan "shock the world" by taking out Syracuse. We've done well in the past as an underdog in the past!

you hit the nail on the head, great post. things didnt end up like we had hoped, oh well. lets play how we can and get to a sweet 16 with gus calling the great games we win!

Birddog
03-15-2010, 03:27 AM
I guess it is the perception of being blown out by SMC that facilitated the drop of a seed or two or three.

I think you meant REALITY.

cbbfanatic
03-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Zags still got hosed a little bit though. Syracuse finished with two losses, but did not drop a seed. I guess it is the perception of being blown out by SMC that facilitated the drop of a seed or two or three.

nobody on this board knows what the zags would have been seeded with a win over st marys... nobody.

looking at the #s, the wins, the losses, etc i would GUESS that the loss did not cost the zags 2-3 seed lines.

and syracuse finished with two losses (to good teams) but they also had a very nice cushion for their 1 seed resume. its a year long body of work thing, and kansas, cuse and kentucky were all pretty safe for 1 seeds for basically the last 2 weeks.

totally off topic, its a disgrace that duke got a 1 over WVU... and i cant stand WVU

MJ777
03-15-2010, 09:34 AM
I think you meant REALITY.

I stand corrected; True Dat!

75Zag
03-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Buffalo is a lot like Detroit (only whiter). Lots of unemployed and underemployed people, empty blocks of factories, commercial buildings and houses, and lots of despair and hurt. Hoping that holding the NCAA first and second round games in Buffalo will bring them a few bucks and perhaps brighten a few lives.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

zagzilla
03-15-2010, 09:49 AM
If we do survive the weekend in Buffalo, the rest of the bracket really opens up for us. Looking at the other top seeds in the west, I think we can take any of them.

K State is tough but they have their won row to hoe with Pitt, X and BYU. On our side, Butler and Vandy don't strike much fear.

IF we can steal one from FSU, I would rather be playing 'Cuse this weekend instead of next.

ZZ

cbbfanatic
03-15-2010, 10:04 AM
If we do survive the weekend in Buffalo, the rest of the bracket really opens up for us. Looking at the other top seeds in the west, I think we can take any of them.

K State is tough but they have their won row to hoe with Pitt, X and BYU. On our side, Butler and Vandy don't strike much fear.

IF we can steal one from FSU, I would rather be playing 'Cuse this weekend instead of next.

ZZ

yeah, i agree. it really isnt that difficult a region. nothing like the midwest anyway, thats just brutal

btzag
03-19-2010, 06:27 PM
notre dame beat georgetown (3), west virginia (2), and pittsburgh (3) twice, and marquette (6)

marquette beat xavier (6), georgetown (3), louisville (9), and villanova (2)

gonzaga beat wisconsin (4) and st marys twice (10)

gonzagas bad losses are as bad as either of theirs - that is a virtual wash... i think the tournament committee should reward big wins as much as possible. i really dont get the argument about marquette or notre dame. i think some of you underrate how hard the road is in january - march in these big conferences. it really is one tough game after another. unless you're a 1-3 seed type team, you are going to compile some losses... its inevitable and doesnt mean you arent worthy of a decent seed - hell, gtown is a 3 with double digit losses. high risk, high reward. nothing ventured, nothing gained.

So how well did those 'tough' conference schedules prepare those great teams? Notre Dame, Marquette, Clemson, and OK st were all over-rated ONLY because they play in big conferences. Hell throw Georgetown in that boat as well with double digit losses. And what inevitably happens is that they lose when they play on neutral courts and are exposed as being mediocre teams who happen to play in tough conferences. Happens every year...love it.

NotoriousZ
03-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Syracuse to Buffalo: Head west on I-90 for 151 miles.
Spokane to Buffalo: Head east on I-90 for 2,355 miles.

Getting past a 1 seed to play in the West Regional in Salt Lake, priceless.

Now that we've won our first game, I'll rehash this post. Bring on the 'Cuse!