PDA

View Full Version : Question to all Bracketologists on the Board

BobZag
03-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Why doesn't Spokane ever host the #1 seed? If memory serves me, it's always 4 and 5 seeds playing 13 and 12 seeds.

What gives?

willandi
03-14-2010, 09:27 AM
If we could only make the players wear sequined outfits...

bartruff1
03-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Spokane is not on Omar's List of " Best Places to Play "......:)

Radbooks
03-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Is it because there isn't a #1 seed team nearby? Like say a Kansas or a Kentucky? Or is the size of the arena not big enough? Maybe you have to seat XX number of people to have a #1 seed. Those are the only things I can think of.

zagirl2k
03-14-2010, 09:54 AM
I think it is because those high seeds stay close to home and there haven't been any #1 seeds where Spokane is close to home.

NorthoftheBorder
03-14-2010, 09:56 AM
It's because of the "pod" system that was adopted about 5 years ago. Each of the top 16 teams (or top 4 teams in each region) have their own 4 team "pod". Each of the 8 first round sites hosts two of these pods.

The tournament committee starts with the #1 team and goes through the top 16 teams in descending order and assigns them to the closest first round site. When Kansas, Kentucky, Syracuse and Duke (or whoever the #1 seeds are) are assigned to their first round site they are given the closest first round site available. That is why Charlotte has hosted two #1 seeds (Duke and North Carolina) in recent years while Spokane usually gets #4 seeds.

Because none of the top 16 teams this year are near Spokane (unless you consider New Mexico to be "near" Spokane) it looks like the #15 and #16 teams (the bottom two #4 seeds) will be assigned to Spokane because that is the only site available left when it comes time to assign their pods to a site.

Das Zagger
03-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Spokane is not on Omar's List of " Best Places to Play "......:)

LOL! I have a feeling that Omar would love to play in Spokane, the place would sell out with people cheering for the other team.

nonzagzag
03-14-2010, 10:16 AM
good explanation NOTB, that is why if we were a 5 seed, we would still very likely be in Spokane because we would be in a 4 seed's pod.

If we are a 6 seed, we would be in a 3 seed's pod so it would be less likely.

If we are a 7,8,9,or 10 we would not be in spokane because we would be in a 1 or 2 seeds pod.

NorthoftheBorder
03-14-2010, 10:21 AM
If the tournament committee ranks the top 16 teams in the following order then this is how the sites would be assigned:

#1 Kansas - Oklahoma City
#2 Kentucy - Milwaukee
#3 Syracuse - Buffalo
#4 Duke - Jacksonville

#5 West Virginia - Buffalo (this site would now have two pods and be "full")
#6 Kansas State - Oklahoma City (full)
#7 Ohio State - Milwaukee (full)
#8 Georgetown - Providence

If this prediction were correct then three sites (Buffalo, Oklahoma City & Milwaukee) would have a #1 and a #2 seed.

#9 Villanova - Providence (full)
#10 New Mexico - San Jose
#11 Purdue - New Orleans (closer than Jacksonville?)
#12 Temple - New Orleans (full)

#13 Pittsburgh - Jacksonville (full)
#14 Baylor - San Jose (full)
#15 Tennessee - Spokane (only site available)
#16 Wisconsin - Spokane (only site available)

Of course I am just guessing at how the committee will rank the top 16 teams.

kclubfounder
03-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Agree with NOTB. It is a moot point now, and I can't prove it, but I say we had ZERO chance of getting a Spokane bid if we were a 5 seed. I know Lunardi and others projected us as a 5 seed in Spokane for a while, but they were wrong. There is NO WAY they would have penalized a 4 by having them play a 5 in their home town.

I know, I know, Davidson was seeded near home. And there are other examples of non-top 4 seeds getting placed near home. But they were ALWAYS 10 or higher. The comittee figures you ought to be able to beat a 10 or higher if you are a 4 or better. But they will NOT hose you with a 5 - or a 6 through 9 for that matter.

SFZAG95
03-14-2010, 11:46 AM
It's got to be a conspiracy involving money who's on the board...I mean come on every other year the tourney is in albuquerque...how does that happen?

ZagsFan
03-14-2010, 01:14 PM
If a Northwest team ever earned a #1 seed when Spokane was hosting a first & second round pod, we'd have them here. As it is, there are usually first-round tournament sites closer to typical West coast #1 seeds.

It's certainly not an issue this season - the closest we live to a #1 is Kansas.

But really, wouldn't you rather see closer, competitive games as opposed to napping through Kansas overwhelming a 16-seeded Moosefart State College? I'd much rather spend my money to see a 12 - 5 matchup or better on the first day, and that means even better games on the second day.

I seriously hope the committee sends Fred Flintstone and company up here from Moraga. Bring the kid with his big sister's mouthpiece (and his little sister's three-point shot) and all the other clowns from that circus. Watching them get blown out will be far more memorable than any visiting #1-seed.

See you at the Spokane Arena??