PDA

View Full Version : "Control What You Can Control"

ZagLawGrad
03-14-2010, 09:34 AM
"I learned a lesson as a young coach," Few says, recalling 2002, when the Zags got an unexpectedly low six seed and got sent to high-altitude Albuquerque, N.M., where they were upset in the first round. "I got too hung up on seeding that one year. We've got a saying in our program: 'Control what you can control.' " http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2011340679_withers14.html

Seems to me that this "saying" will be a factor of sorts if the Zags are to have success in the Dance, or it might be the thing the Zags look back on and say "what if..."

BobZag
03-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Thus far the team has done a poor job of controlling what they can control. Bad losses have left these guys marooned in Buffalo or gawd knows where. Now they are to control what they can control again? Hate to be a downer but they've failed to control their destiny thus far. If this is The Daily Racing Form, the past performances of this horse don't bode well for future races. I hope we're Mine That Bird and surprise everyone.

bartruff1
03-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Whoa....just a little....sure the WCC Final was a downer but....Maui.....Illinois... Memphis....starting the league at Portland and SMU...and most important, winning the Conference....they have earned some respect... alot really....this is a whole new game starting next week...I strongly suspect Few will have them ready to play...

everybodycougsit
03-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Whoa....just a little....sure the WCC Final was a downer but....Maui.....Illinois... Memphis....starting the league at Portland and SMU...and most important, winning the Conference....they have earned some respect... alot really....this is a whole new game starting next week...I strongly suspect Few will have them ready to play...

I agree, they 'controlled' things in all the tough wins they've had. As gene hackman put it in 'hoosiers', lets see these guys for who they are, instead of who they aren't...or something like that.

btzag
03-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Yes, I would be completely shocked if this team does not come out with a full effort next thursday or friday. While if has been proven that this team cannot focus for even 10 games in a row, when it comes down to big games they have performed. The only blip was Duke in MSG and WCC final but all the other evidence points to a strong effort in the first round.

gonwick
03-14-2010, 10:58 AM
I have to agree with BZ. By losing to SF, LMU, and then to SMC in the final, Gonzaga lost 3 chances to control their destiny and play in their own backyard. If they can't get up for that, I'm not sure what motivation they're going to find compelling. The most worrisome thing to me was that before every loss, they said all the right things on their media days: we need to play with more intensity, we know we're going to get their best shot, etc. I really hope that they turn it on during the tourney, but their recent past experience is concerning to say the least. As noted, they controlled their destiny in the sense that they filed away some quality wins that should have them breathing easy today, but beyond that, they have ceded control of their season and may find themselves in a very tough first round matchup in a very remote site. Let's hope they find whatever it is that motivates them and play like they're capable of playing. I just want to see them bring it, and if they get beat, let it be because they got outplayed, not because they forgot to show up.

Birddog
03-14-2010, 10:59 AM
If you watched Long Beach vs UCSB, NM St vs Utah St, Ill vs Ohio St, Georgetown vs WVU, etc, then you saw teams playing with incredible intensity. There was no sleep walking, no taking time off, no ho hum, just pure intensity. Zags vs SMC caught them snoozing on several occasions, going through the motions, almost acting like they deserved to win etc. SMC played with intensity. Zags played with intensity at Maui, at Memphis, at Ill, for Woohoo vs SMC. They have it within their makeup, but for crying out loud, they need to turn on the switch and keep it on. Hopefully the "intensity switch" gets stuck like the gas pedal on a Prius.

BlueVoodoo07
03-14-2010, 12:47 PM
All I can say is we haven't lost back to back games all season,and I don't think we will start now.

westside-zagfan
03-14-2010, 01:48 PM
amen voodoo.

Also if watching basketball has taught me anything it is that you can never count out a team with good guard play and a presence down low. When I see a senior guard named matt bouldin alongside steven gray teamed up with a 7 footer and euro stud Elias Harris, with a lightning quick PG to dish the ball around in a starting lineup. I know that a team like that has a good chance to win some games in the tournament. I get the sense that everyone is selling the zags short. If i am a temple fan i am pissed that my team has to play gonzaga in the second round. I certainly wouldnt want to play gonzaga in the first round. Don't lose hope on this team fellas! they have the pieces and whether they be a 6,7 or 8 seed who gives a damn. They will be the best high seeded team in the tourney and this is the kind of year where a high seed wins the whole thing.