PDA

View Full Version : Meech not a shooter

izzjess
03-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Yes i know meech can drive the lane and knows the program and can handle the ball well but, with him either not willing to take the shot or not able to take a shot his defender knows he can play off him and double on somebody mostly on Rob or harris. And this happens quite a bit. I dont know if nobody else noticed this but i did. Well ive been watching gonzaga ball for about 10 years now i dont think ive ever seen us with a point guard that cant or wont shoot. This puts us at a serious disadvatage and i feel its a big hole that we need to fix.... ????ps the thing is i know few isnt stupid and must notice this. But yet he has really not changed things much all year and so our big men keep getting double teamed.... i just hope either meech finds a shot or we find a new point guard.. ps i will forever love gonzaga and i love our team im just venting so please forgive me

ZagNative
03-13-2010, 10:01 PM
I'll alert the media immediately.

MBZags
03-13-2010, 10:05 PM
I'll alert the media immediately.

Hell, call your Senator, too.

izzjess
03-13-2010, 10:07 PM
if it helps please do

Zag79
03-14-2010, 01:32 AM
zzz...

seasontixholder
03-14-2010, 06:47 AM
One of the biggest Zag mysteries is how Meech shoots in practice. My guess is that he does so passably, and better than in games. Possibly improving. He obviously does NOT have a permanent red light in real time, or he always would have been pulled for doing so right afterwards.

He is not a bad shooter at all in warmups when he is relaxed. He has the muscle memory to be able to repeat the motion. Maybe it's still the learning curve, or maybe he is just not a gamer in that aspect.

I know what a hopelessly bad shooter looks like. They shoot poorly all the time and look clumsy doing so. DG is not like that. He is not Winston Brooks, and his motion seems more fluid than Quentin Hall's. More than anything, it seems like his excitable nature and bounciness is his biggest drawback. Maybe Meech the junior/senior will just settle down, or maybe he never will.

Few does not like an early-in-the-clock outside shot. That and Meech's film has led to those instances where he is wide open early, yet refusing to shoot. That whole scene has just snowballed negatively, where the less he shoots, the more packed the defenses become, leading to zero opportunity for everybody. Jeremy Pargo eventually said screw it, I'm shooting, and became somewhat effective behind the arc. The defenses cheated less. Ditto, Q. Meech HAS to do the same once he becomes an upperclassman or else. My guess is that his percentage will climb like Pargo's did. If so, the whole picture improves.

izzjess
03-14-2010, 07:23 AM
now theres a positive reply ( thanks )

MickMick
03-14-2010, 08:44 AM
What is disturbing to me is that GJ Vilarino has not displayed enough to coach Few to gain substantial playing time at the position.

We can pick on Meech because we see him play. After watching every Zag game in it's entirety, I am about as familiar with Vialrino's game as I am with Hart's. Which means I don't know much at all. From what little I have seen, it seems he likes to shoot more than Meech. That can be good or bad depending on how good of a shot he has. The sample size is too small.

Regardless, if he can't gain playing time under these circumstances, then the PG position is certainly an area that could use another body in 2010.

BroncoZAG615
03-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Yes i know meech can drive the lane and knows the program and can handle the ball well but, with him either not willing to take the shot or not able to take a shot his defender knows he can play off him and double on somebody mostly on Rob or harris. And this happens quite a bit. I dont know if nobody else noticed this but i did. Well ive been watching gonzaga ball for about 10 years now i dont think ive ever seen us with a point guard that cant or wont shoot. This puts us at a serious disadvatage and i feel its a big hole that we need to fix.... ????ps the thing is i know few isnt stupid and must notice this. But yet he has really not changed things much all year and so our big men keep getting double teamed.... i just hope either meech finds a shot or we find a new point guard.. ps i will forever love gonzaga and i love our team im just venting so please forgive me

I've been waiting for someone to create a thread about Meech's offensive struggles ALL SEASON LONG!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!

2wiceright
03-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Meech may or may not become a passible shooter as a point guard for our team- with a ton of work in the off-season (even though I love Meech I wouldn't put money on it at this point). I think some of the problem is even if Vilarno can shoot a little better it's been pointed out before on this board how hard our offense is to learn, let alone the added difficulty of learning it at the point guard position. Add to this the huge influx of new players this year slowing down how much coaching time the coaches had with so many new players learning the system. I'm assuming Meech had a quicker learning curve as the coaches had more time teaching him and more time for him to learn as a freshman on a veteran team. I'm wondering if Few was scrambling to get a starting 5 at the beginning of the season that he felt could compete, and with a (then) possible deadly OOC schedule- he was happy with early on results...

Point being Vilarno never really had a chance to start this year, but next year it's whoever can run the point with at least Pargo's scoring ability, Matts passing ability, and Meech's defense. Maybe it will be an improved Meech sharing time with Vilarno. It's anybody's guess!