PDA

View Full Version : ESPN says: Gonzaga now officially a bubble team?

theman.themyth.thelegend
03-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Was watching the Nevada-NMSU late last night(great game, btw) and during one of the intermissions, they discussed which bubble teams should or should not be invited to the Tourney. The three bubble teams mentioned were Utah State, San Diego St., and Gonzaga. Yes, our Zags were being discussed whether or not they should be invited to the NCAA Tourney--this year! They compared each team and decided whether they'll make it or not.

First, I realize Lunardi has listed as a lock, yet did not realize that many analysts evidently consider us a team on the proverbial 'bubble'.

Secondly, while they illustrated the Zags had the lowest RPI and worse SOS of the aforementioned teams, they argued the Zags should still be invited, but couldn't really answer why? The analysts/announcers spoke about the unexpected losses of Top-Ranked BCS teams in the 1st-Round of their respective Conference Tournaments. They stated this occurence is causing more and more bubbles to pop for many teams and nothing is an absolute given until you see your name being called on Selection Sunday.

I realize nothing is guaranteed unless you win your Conference tourney, yet I always assumed it was set in stone we would be invited(i guess I've been spoiled over the years). Having said that, I now realize with all the #1 seeds losing and many teams inexplicable featuring better resumes than ours we just might have a reason to be worried tomorrow.

Can someone please calm my nerves and tell me we are 100%, guaranteed, unequivocally going to be dancing by tomorrow night? And please spare me Joe Lunardi bracketology links, b/c he's been wrong before and his own employer(ESPN) believes Gonzaga is now a bubble team and argued for teams like Utah State and others to be potentially invited insteadof us. :(

P.S. --> Was any other posters in shock after watching the midnight ESPN broadcast last night? It was an unfortunate reality check. :confused: :mad:

BobZag
03-13-2010, 10:37 AM
So many Zag fans were in shock about this that you are the first and only shocked enough to post it. The rest of us are too paralyzed by the shock.

U Zig, I Zag
03-13-2010, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. We are one of the best teams in the country (certainly top 34) with 6 losses. We played a hard schedule and had lots of exposure on TV. Right now, Illinois is probably playing themselves into the tourney - whether they beat Ohio State or not people think they made it. Illinois was an up and down team this year and of their losses, GU is defenitely not a 'bad' loss.

With that though, I see the West Coast teams (WCC, PAC10) sliding down the line as a whole. PAC10 tourney has zero interest - it's on FSN for crying out loud. WCC tourney got over early and all these teams are making thier statements and making runs in conference tourneys - right now. It can't hurt to be a 'recent' memory in the minds of the committee members.

Also, updated today.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

thickman1
03-13-2010, 10:41 AM
root hard for Illinois. If they can win the Big 10 title that'd help the perception for GU.

75Zag
03-13-2010, 10:43 AM
With Houston beating UTEP there is one less at large spot available. No problem for GU but UW may need to beat Cal now to get in.

Duke looking a bit run down in the first half of their semi-final.

Should be an interesting afternoon.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

maineblackbear
03-13-2010, 10:51 AM
not that shocked, to be totally truthful. we have lost three games in about a month, two to teams perceived as bad-- (LMU much better than perception, but how do you explain the USF loss-- to an eastern voter?)-- St. Mary's, we realize, is a pretty good team-- but most others do not. Eastern viewers just see us as losing to someone they have never heard about, put that together with other losses, and see our season as on the decline.
I see us getting in. But I have had a nagging fear since Monday about this. Ask Zagzilla-- we talked about this a few days ago.

If we do not get in, then it is proof positive (as if we needed more) that Gonzaga needs a different conference--

Are we one of the 34 best teams in the country to not win a conference tourney--fer cryin' out loud-- of course we are.

Will we get in?

Um, well, I am pretty sure.

But if we do not, then we seriously need to look at the SCUs, Pepperdines, USFs and USDs (looking at you Billy) as to why.

IMHO we kinda overachieved this year--especially early--but screwed the pooch big time at least twice. (Seriously, that loss against Wake looks ugly, too).

Have much much more ranting to do about this--but you are already bored reading this :)
mbb

(it is NOT a contradiction to blame a few recent bad losses on what could be a bad ending for this season AND to also blame the WCC's RPI-- seriously, the two go together-- a bad loss in the Big East is to a team with RPI of 90-- bad loss in WCC-- killer.)

theman.themyth.thelegend
03-13-2010, 10:52 AM
So many Zag fans were in shock about this that you are the first and only shocked enough to post it. The rest of us are too paralyzed by the shock.

Considering it was a midnight game on a Friday night, I could understand if many didn't see this clip.

In fact, Bardo was the only announcer arguing our case and rooting for us the Zags to be invited. He stated we had the best "road record of the group and we passed the 'eye test'". The rest of the ESPN crew were slightly favoring against us since we had a lower RPI, SOS, etc.

BZ, I'm certainly not saying we won't make the Tourney, yet for ESPN to even classify GU as a bubble team along with the San Diego St's of the world elicted some minute worry as a fan.

I can't wait for tomorrow afternoon! I need to see our name on TV--stat!

PS--> Just noticed this on SMC board:
I'm watching Nevada (coached by our own David Carter) vs. New Mexico State.

At a break, they showed a graphic comparing three bubble teams: Gonzaga, SDSU and Utah State. Bardo had difficulty explaining why he had Gonzaga in when SDSU and USU had higher RPIs. Same issue as started this thread.

Very satisfying to have wins over each of these dance-bound teams.

cggonzaga
03-13-2010, 11:03 AM
That is poor and irresponsible broadcasting if you ask me. If anyone seriously believes we are a "bubble" team they are out of their minds. Like the polls or not, I doubt a top 20 ranked team has ever not made the tournament.

Therunner
03-13-2010, 11:07 AM
...nothing is an absolute given until you see your name being called on Selection Sunday.

This.

We'll find out by 3pm PST.

I'll admit the contagious conference tourney losses haven't helped our chances, but I'm almost positive we'll be invited to the Dance. At least I think we deserve to be, plus BZ seems pretty confident as well. ;)

All in due time...

maineblackbear
03-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Utah State 2004-- 2 losses, nationally ranked-- did not make the field. Bubble teams left out generally almost always come from mid-major conferences and frankly, our body of work, over the last month is not that impressive.

I hear you, though-- I would be surprised, disappointed and more than a little embittered-- HOWEVER, not shocked. not shocked at all.

mbb

U Zig, I Zag
03-13-2010, 11:12 AM
I think we are fine. If I am not mistaken they have stopped the 'last 10 games' weighting.

Therunner
03-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Utah State 2004-- 2 losses, nationally ranked-- did not make the field. Bubble teams left out generally almost always come from mid-major conferences and frankly, our body of work, over the last month is not that impressive.

I hear you, though-- I would be surprised, disappointed and more than a little embittered-- HOWEVER, not shocked. not shocked at all.

mbb

OK, now I'm starting to get worried...stop, just STOP it already! :p

Either way, I will be :pray: especially hard tomorrow and during the entire CBS broadcast.

BlueVoodoo07
03-13-2010, 11:23 AM
I just don't see how a team that was considered a lock even by ESPN, all the way to the tip off with SMC can fall all the way out of the tourny. It's not like SMC is that bad of a team I will be shocked and stunned if we end up in the NIT.

alaskazagnut
03-13-2010, 11:25 AM
the fact that if you do not win the automatic bid you are always on teh "proverbial bubble". I think this is a huge lesson for our freshman. This is the best thing for our future. The kids need to realize that if you do not seize the day, there may not be a future. If There would have been talk about Gonzaga being on the bubble if we were to lose the Championship game, we would have seen a different team.

BlueVoodoo07
03-13-2010, 11:29 AM
So what do you think alaska in or out?

FuManShoes
03-13-2010, 11:32 AM
The recent losses have stung but I think the Zags are a lock based on the road/neutral/Maui wins. Yes, most of those games were months ago but the win at Memphis was not that long ago and while Memphis is not a juggernaut, that was a good win. For the Committee to burst the Zags' bubble by placing the emphasis on three league losses including one in OT on the road and one to a Tourney team (St Mary's) over the OOC wins in games the Zags did control would run counter to their insistence that early season play and scheduling matters. Do they really want to send that message? I think not.

rawkmandale
03-13-2010, 11:46 AM
This is stupid. Two bozo announcers listed us as a "bubble team?" Give me a flipping break. The way the league tournaments are going, we still have a shot at a 6, but more likely a 7.

alaskazagnut
03-13-2010, 11:52 AM
This is stupid. Two bozo announcers listed us as a "bubble team?" Give me a flipping break. The way the league tournaments are going, we still have a shot at a 6, but more likely a 7.

When was the last time a top 20 nationally ranked team did not get in. I think Missouri had a 27 RPI a couple years ago but they weren't ranked.

We will not drop out of the top 25 because of the "good" loss to St Marys.

theman.themyth.thelegend
03-13-2010, 12:01 PM
If There would have been talk about Gonzaga being on the bubble if we were to lose the Championship game, we would have seen a different team.

Couldn't agree more.

Also, along with the majority of you, I can't understand all this bubble talk only AFTER losing to a Top-30 RPI/Ranked team in St. Mary's(and we did beat them 2/3 times this year as well).

Many people, including other WCC message boards(SMC), are acting as if this is the end of an era for the Zags. I want to tell them we still won the actual Conference Championship and our 10 year run is still freshly intact. Plus, look at all the other Champions and high-ranked teams losing in their Conference Tournaments. Heck, some conferences don't even have Tournaments...

Seems like most analysts, announcers, fans, etc have forgotten this was supposed to be our "rebuilding" year. I mean the Zags weren't even picked to win our own Conference this year and Sports Illustrated, of all publications, ranked us 49th in Pre-season polls.

NorthoftheBorder
03-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Here's a link to a website that looks at 79 bracket projections across the internet.

Every one of those 79 projections has GU in the tournament. Based on the average of the 79 projections they have GU as the top 7 seed.

http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm

rawkmandale
03-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Interesting find - thanks

rawkmandale
03-13-2010, 12:04 PM
I'd like the names of those two announcers

BlueVoodoo07
03-13-2010, 12:07 PM
They must be Huskie fans.

theman.themyth.thelegend
03-13-2010, 12:11 PM

It was Bardo with one other announcer(Gannon maybe?) and another on-court "analyst" chiming in on this topic. I wasn't focused on the game until they started discussing bubble teams(why they only selected mid-majors is beyond me). I'd like to know the Producer who solely decided Gonzaga was a bubble team and possibly not worthy of an at-large bid and put it on his agenda to argue this idea.

Zagsker
03-13-2010, 12:35 PM
this was updated after all of yesterdays games

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch

Rhode Island lost today..so that knocks them out and makes it so the A10 gets only 3

StatMan
03-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Nice find NorthoftheBorder.

According to that website (or should I say those 79 websites) there are 15 "at large" teams seeded below the Zags.

In other words, there are 15 teams that are more "on the bubble" than the Zags, including San Diego State which averages out to a 12 seed and is picked to miss the tournament by 6 of the websites.

Every single one of those 15 teams would have to be moved ahead of Gonzaga by the selection committee before they were left out of the tournament.

titopoet
03-13-2010, 01:29 PM
What is funny about the teams discussed, SDSU and Utah State, were listed locks. Comparing with the last four in and those that on the edge of the bubble, UW, Illinois, RIU, Miss state, Old Mis, Setan Hall. GU is in better RPI, better road team, better resume. Zags are a lock, lets not listen to the ticket selling talk.

americasteam
03-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Question - anyone been watching ESPN today? Is Gonzaga mentioned as a bubble team at all? I think late at night they assume that only the west coast is watching and maybe it'd be fun to throw that out for the Pac-10, WCC, WAC watchers to get stirred up on.

Sadly, mostly all it did, after reading all the above postings, is to tell me those announcers/producer for that segment are clueless.

Das Zagger
03-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Question - anyone been watching ESPN today? Is Gonzaga mentioned as a bubble team at all? I think late at night they assume that only the west coast is watching and maybe it'd be fun to throw that out for the Pac-10, WCC, WAC watchers to get stirred up on.

Sadly, mostly all it did, after reading all the above postings, is to tell me those announcers/producer for that segment are clueless.

Been watching games all day long, the first post in this thread was the first I heard of GU being listed as a potential bubble team. I think I passed out when I read it.

Xavier looks like they're going to lose, SD State is firmly in with their two wins over New Mexico, and Utah State plays later tonight. Ga Tech is also losing to NC State, if NC State can somehow beat Duke tomorrow, one less spot. Miss State also looks to be in. Minny plays a tired OSU team tomorrow, right now ESPN has them outside looking in.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

sullyzag66
03-13-2010, 02:01 PM
If Washington beats Cal this afternoon, Pac-10 has two in. If Washington plays well and loses does Washington compete with Zags for an at-large bid? The at-large field is getting smaller.

I remember being worried in 2003 when San Diego won the WCC tournament. That season, Zags had lost some games they should have won, and were beaten in K2 for the first time by a not-so-good Portland team and there was open speculation about not getting a bid that year. But the at-large field didn't seem so small then. Some concern in 2007, but not as much.

Yes, tomorrow will be a long day, but at least it's been shortened by an hour. :)

BobZag
03-13-2010, 02:11 PM
lol.

bigblahla
03-13-2010, 02:17 PM
lol.

BZ,

I agree.

Have I died and gone to Moraga (hell) and this is my penance to be surrounded by doubters and drivel (my new word). Did any of you follow our team. Folks we're in. Just don't send us to Providence for a 9am PST game.

8 of 11 teams ranked behind the Zags have lost this week.

Go!! Zags!!!

sullyzag66
03-13-2010, 02:18 PM
lol.
Now I really am worried. A "We're DOOMED" would have made me feel a lot better. :D

BTW. Goes without saying, but in those other "worry" scenarios Zags were in and didn't have to play on Tuesday night.

willandi
03-13-2010, 05:05 PM
the fact that if you do not win the automatic bid you are always on teh "proverbial bubble". I think this is a huge lesson for our freshman. This is the best thing for our future. The kids need to realize that if you do not seize the day, there may not be a future. If There would have been talk about Gonzaga being on the bubble if we were to lose the Championship game, we would have seen a different team.

So, Is Syracuse in or out??? BYU, New Mexico et al???

MickMick
03-13-2010, 05:34 PM
SMC is more than worthy of a bid. They were last year.

If the Zags had lost to any other team in the WCC tournament, I would say there is a valid argument to have them in the bubble conversation.

sullyzag66
03-13-2010, 06:05 PM
So, Is Syracuse in or out??? BYU, New Mexico et al???
Probably not; they're not in the WCC. That's a distinction with a difference.

bigblahla
03-14-2010, 03:26 AM
SMC is more than worthy of a bid. They were last year.If the Zags had lost to any other team in the WCC tournament, I would say there is a valid argument to have them in the bubble conversation.

Mick,

Valid only in the eyes of the uniformed . The LMU that beat us in LA and played us tough in Vegas is the LMU that beat Notre Dame at Notre Dame and then they had injuries we saw them our second time healthy. No shame in losing to the Lions if you love this game and understand it you have to know how talented that squad is, unfortunately only the WCC knows.

Go!! Zags!!!

RenoZag
03-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Here's RPI, SOS, W-L Record, and Conference RPI for three teams who need "at large" slots to go Dancing

Team A: 19; 15; 23-9; 8

Team B: 37; 116; 25-6; 13

Team C: 26; 102; 26-6; 10

Team A would appear to be a lock; Team C has an RPI edge over Team B and a slightly better SOS rating and plays in a stronger conference.

Do you send Team A and Team C ? Team A & Team B ? All three ?

Team A: California
Team B: Gonzaga
Team C: Utah State

( Lunardi shows all three teams dancing, BTW )

ellenvega
03-14-2010, 08:54 AM
I won't rest easy until I see their name come up in the brackets. I've been worried about it since the SMC loss. Nothing's a sure thing.

That being said, other than the earlier reference in this thread I've seen zero mention of the Zags being on the bubble.

ronh_pm
03-14-2010, 08:58 AM
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/alfred_e_neuman.jpg

seasontixholder
03-14-2010, 09:04 AM

lolol, good one BZ. I watched the segment live and it was a pre-canned deal with a graphic made in advance by the producer. It was standard ESPN small-conference tournament gimmick used during other broadcasts, trying to inject some faux controversy - and therefore interest - about the legitimacy of other non-Gonzaga mid-majors. It was in the context of Gonzaga being a lock, so why shouldn't others with similar numbers be in the same boat type of affair. The announcing team was/is fully versed with Gonzaga's situation, and only played along with the producer for corporate loyalty if not a lark. I bet that they would have a good laugh about any drama-queen reaction to it - they know the score.

FuManShoes
03-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Let's just say the Zags really were on the bubble, one of the last 2-3 teams in/out on most mock brackets. I wager that the Committee is more likely to include Gonzaga at this point thanks the decade of excellence, the legacy, the name recognition, etc. All things being equal or mostly equal, the Zags probably have a psychological edge with the "judges." You have Few's reputation for tough scheduling, the success after losing key pieces and perhaps most importantly, the TV pundit howling that might begin if "America's Team" were left out of a bracket many believed they'd secured a berth to weeks ago ....

MickMick
03-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Let's just say the Zags really were on the bubble, one of the last 2-3 teams in/out on most mock brackets. I wager that the Committee is more likely to include Gonzaga at this point thanks the decade of excellence, the legacy, the name recognition, etc. All things being equal or mostly equal, the Zags probably have a psychological edge with the "judges." You have Few's reputation for tough scheduling, the success after losing key pieces and perhaps most importantly, the TV pundit howling that might begin if "America's Team" were left out of a bracket many believed they'd secured a berth to weeks ago ....

For those that doubt this type of thinking, just look at Arizona last year.

There had to be a compelling reason to end the streak. All other things being relatively close, Arizona got the bid.

alldaye
03-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Were still a lock on bubble watch on ESPN. You guys are scaring me a bit, but theres no way we don't make it.

MickMick
03-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Were still a lock on bubble watch on ESPN. You guys are scaring me a bit, but theres no way we don't make it.

UTEP or USU would be out before the Zags and that is just two that pop out without digging deeper.

Once and Future Zag
03-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Has a top-25 ranked team ever not made the tournament?

BlueVoodoo07
03-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Once I think

Das Zagger
03-14-2010, 01:30 PM
UTEP or USU would be out before the Zags and that is just two that pop out without digging deeper.

You're right on. I think UTEP gets in and USU stays home, maybe the last team out.