PDA

View Full Version : Wishful Thinking or Possibility?

BobZag
03-13-2010, 10:21 AM
With hard work and lots of coaching, can Elias Harris develop into an Evan Turner type/caliber player. Size and height are similar and Elias has shown some range on his shooting...but...what do y'all think?

bartruff1
03-13-2010, 10:23 AM
I wish..:)

U Zig, I Zag
03-13-2010, 10:24 AM
With hard work and lots of coaching, can Elias Harris develop into an Evan Turner type/caliber player. Size and height are similar and Elias has shown some range on his shooting...but...what do y'all think?

Hopefully without all the turnovers - watching the Illinois game now and I think I have seen ET TO it about 5 times by dribbling right into traffic.

Otherwise, I say sure :)

theman.themyth.thelegend
03-13-2010, 10:45 AM
The only thing I wish for Elias is that he's still playing for Gonzaga by next season. Beyond that, its all gravy. :D

I think we must be realistic and prepare ourselves for the possibility he won't be here next year. Has anyone else noticed how much his tone(and answers in interviews) have changed in recent weeks when asked about the draft? There was another poster who linked an interview stating he would consider the NBA if he hears good things from Scouts after the season is over.

Can you imagine all the hype from analysts, greed from potential agents, and advice from his home Country(Germany) to pursue the next step in his career. I have heard his Mother in Germany actually wishea for him to earn a degree at the University, yet his Father in Texas wants him to play in the NBA sooner rather than later.

We can't remotely understand all the pressure from many around him saying: "make money now, realize your dream to play in the League, represent your fellow countrymen in NBA, opportunity only knocks once, make the jump while the iron is hot, etc"

Along with most athletes, Elias has a strong desire to play in the league, but we can only hope he stays at least another year.

cggonzaga
03-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Don't see it BZ, biggest reason is EH doesn't create for teammates the way Turner does. EH has a score first, score at all costs mentality. With some more offensive moves and a mid range game I could see EH becoming a very poor man's Carmelo Anthony (I'm not suggesting EH is anywhere as good as Anthony). EH could average 20 and 8 next year.

DADoZAG
03-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Don't see it BZ, biggest reason is EH doesn't create for teammates the way Turner does. EH has a score first, score at all costs mentality. With some more offensive moves and a mid range game I could see EH becoming a very poor man's Carmelo Anthony (I'm not suggesting EH is anywhere as good as Anthony). EH could average 20 and 8 next year.

Given the environment most common in Harris' past, I'm not surprised he doesn't have more of a sharing attitude.

I'll bet that staff might put "needs to learning sharing and how better to play with others" on the top of this year's report card for Elias to take back home with him this summer, and I'd expect it to be a focus for Elias. Winning seems very important to him, much more than personal accolades at this point.

That said, Elias has great athleticism, but I don't know about expecting him to equal Evan Turner. Evan, or ET, is like, ...well, "from another planet" type athletic (pun intended).

Go ZAGS!

MickMick
03-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Elias is explosive, but not quick. If you can make the distinction.

I don't know how he pans out at the three, but I am convinced that he can adequately shoot from distance. The talk about him developing an outside shot doesn't really apply anymore.

He has straight ahead quickness like Bo Jackson or Herschel Walker (of course he isn't that fast.... more of a style comparison). Not "change of direction" quickness like Barry Sanders or Emmit Smith.

His primary move to the hoop includes a semi-travel that more and more coaches will be calling for referees to look at in pre game discussions.

He tends to bowl over people, drawing offensive fouls, as opposed to pulling up and shooting/dishing.

Those are my knocks and they pale in comparison to the good things he brings to the table. He is a different type of player than Turner, but given improvement in certain areas, he has potential to be just as effective.

Certainly not at that level now though as I don't think he can carry a team. He needs help in the form of a hot Bouldin or Gray to draw attention away.

BobZag
03-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Turner did make some seriously nice passes today. And he's built more slight than Elias. He also has good enough handles for Thad Matta to trust him bringing up the ball like a PG. Not sure if Elias has handles like that. I'd sure like to see Elias develop that way, just as I'd like to see Gray become like Diebler, Dower to be like Jujaun Johnson, Olynyk to be like Hummel, Kong to be like Pondexter, Arop to be like, well, you know, the best he can be, etc. :)

Elias will be baaaack.

bartruff1
03-13-2010, 02:43 PM
I hope he is where he wants to be...if that is here....great...He would be foolish not to test the waters in the NBA and if the money is there, to take it.. but, I suspect the water will be much to deep for him to play in the NBA.

alldaye
03-13-2010, 02:51 PM
No no no. Totally different players. One's a PG, one's a PF. Elias is a bruiser, who doesn't do much on the permiter, he hasn't shown amazing passing skills either. Sorry, really poor comparison. The closest player I can think of in college basketball is Patrick Patterson. Similar athletic ability. A little undersized for a PF...can shoot catch and shoot 3's on perimter, otherwise fairly limited outside

Reborn
03-13-2010, 03:08 PM
definitely not the same kind of players. At least not this year. Fortunately for Elias, he's only a Freshman so anything is possible.

Birddog
03-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Harris and the coaching staff haven't even figured out that someone moved his cheese. The opposition has been buying the little yellow book "Defending Gonzaga for Dummies" since the first round of games in the WCC. Double the post and hack the crap out of them when they shoot. Harris' production has been off in the last several games because he can't make the same signature move over and over again. I don't know how many times he got deep into the paint vs SMC and got smothered by them. The only bright spot was his ability to hit the 3. Gonzaga has to drill Harris and Sacre to pass out of the double and somebody better be moving for the pass and not standing around watching.
Sacre has improved in this regard, but Harris rarely passes. Foster has improved his passing and has dished out of the double to Meech a couple times. I'm rambling, but the short answer is no, Harris has many facets to work on. I don't see him putting the team on his back and winning a game just yet. This doesn't mean I don't like him, just that he has a ways to go. He's a playah.

BobZag
03-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Harris and the coaching staff haven't even figured out that someone moved his cheese. The opposition has been buying the little yellow book "Defending Gonzaga for Dummies" since the first round of games in the WCC. Double the post and hack the crap out of them when they shoot. Harris' production has been off in the last several games because he can't make the same signature move over and over again. I don't know how many times he got deep into the paint vs SMC and got smothered by them. The only bright spot was his ability to hit the 3. Gonzaga has to drill Harris and Sacre to pass out of the double and somebody better be moving for the pass and not standing around watching.
Sacre has improved in this regard, but Harris rarely passes. Foster has improved his passing and has dished out of the double to Meech a couple times. I'm rambling, but the short answer is no, Harris has many facets to work on. I don't see him putting the team on his back and winning a game just yet. This doesn't mean I don't like him, just that he has a ways to go. He's a playah.

So what you're saying is, he has a chance?! :D

JAGzag
03-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Question for the experts: EH is a 20 yro who has played professionally in Europe and Germany. How much "growing" will he really do in terms of getting better and making that Sophomore jump?

BobZag
03-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Question for the experts: EH is a 20 yro who has played professionally in Europe and Germany. How much "growing" will he really do in terms of getting better and making that Sophomore jump?

More "changing" and "polishing" what he does than growing or maturing, imo. Things like passing out of traffic, adding another move, tweaking his touch around the hoop, learning good defense. I'm not sure what kind of coaching his Speyer team had. His game definitely has room for improvements, though.

Birddog
03-13-2010, 04:45 PM
100 pounds of crap in a 80 pound sack, or 150 pounds of crap in a in a 100 pound sack. It's a quandry for me. All I can say for sure is the crap is just amazing and so is your inability to analyze anything with anything resembling basic intelligence.

The above quote should have been this
tweaking his touch around the hoop, Not sure why that one was around so long and yeah I know I could edit it, but thought I'd leave it.

What touch? I forgot to mention that, Harris seldom gets a score from "touch". It's not his style and not in his current repertoire.

BobZag
03-13-2010, 04:56 PM
What touch? I forgot to mention that, Harris seldom gets a score from "touch". It's not his style and not in his current repertoire.

I'd like to see Elias develop a softer touch around the rim, ala Batista. He misses a lot of bunnies due to hard tosses at close range of the hoop when a softer touch would do the job. His ability to get to the hoop is undeniable but his touch once he gets there could be softer/better for the finish. Sacre could use a softer touch as well. Otoh, Olynyk has a nice touch and from what little I've seen of Dower, he has a nice touch, but my viewing of him has been limited.

Birddog
03-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Haha, I just looked at my post and noticed that an old quote got inserted. I'll sub in your's now. And I agree with you. JP had just about the best touch for a big man that I've seen in a Zag uniform since Gary Lechman.

freejoe69
03-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Finally, a Lech reference. You're the man, Birdog!

roxdoc
03-13-2010, 08:55 PM
BZ finally mentioned the greatest Harris flaw - his defense or lack therof.

Harris is gifted but has much to learn yet. Absolutely no way he goes pro at the end of the season.

BavarianZag
03-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Haha, I just looked at my post and noticed that an old quote got inserted. I'll sub in your's now. And I agree with you. JP had just about the best touch for a big man that I've seen in a Zag uniform since Gary Lechman.

I know you were 1/2 way kidding, cuz big Jeff Brown had a pretty nice touch around the rim. Mostly because he could barely jam ;)

DADoZAG
03-14-2010, 07:21 AM
BZ finally mentioned the greatest Harris flaw - his defense or lack therof.

Harris is gifted but has much to learn yet. Absolutely no way he goes pro at the end of the season.

+1. I just don't get all the NBA talk for this year. Harris is not a greedy yank. He seems to look big picture.

Hey, BZ. How long will we have to wait to find out how much time Elias plans to spend in Spokane or a state side camp. I know he's expected back on the continent this summer, but he needs some specialized training.

Another nice topic for post April 5th.

Go ZAGS!

bigblahla
03-14-2010, 09:03 AM
The only thing I wish for Elias is that he's still playing for Gonzaga by next season. Beyond that, its all gravy. :D

I think we must be realistic and prepare ourselves for the possibility he won't be here next year.

Again? Old stuff. 3 years minimum, 3 YEARS MINIMUM. Could tell you why but what's the point. Yeah, he can change his mind. That was out of his mouth, 3 years.

Go!! Zags!!!