PDA

View Full Version : This is the year

BlueVoodoo07
03-13-2010, 02:37 AM
All right I am calling it right now this will be the year we knockoff a 3 seed or higher. Go ahead and post all the comments about why we won't, but I just have this feeling that we will struggle in our first round match up, but still win. Than catch fire and go on a run Elite 8 here we come. The reason I think this is because we finally are back to having a team after some of are losses that will not be expected to do more than win a game. That was what it was like when we had some of are best tourny's no stress just go play.

MickMick
03-13-2010, 07:43 AM
1) All about matchups. Anything can happen with the right matchups.

2) Losing Arop was a huge blow.

3) Everyone will have to play significantly better than last week to make it past round one.

4) There seems to be more parity this year, so I can easily see an unusual number of upsets in the tournament.

If I was a betting man, I would bet against the Zags winning more than one game. I could see SMC getting to an elite eight. They are peaking at the right time.

We shall soon see :)

ZagLawGrad
03-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Zags have the talent and ability to beat any opponent.

But not in the Dance unless they build a major brush fire under themselves to want to do it. The effort and intensity seems to have diminished over the past few weeks. Puzzling considering what's been at stake and there for the taking this season.

It's up to MB and SG to get the team in the right frame of mind.

And MM, there is no chance that SMC gets to an Elite 8.

bartruff1
03-13-2010, 08:39 AM
I suppose it could happen...but they will have to be on a mission for 40 minutes to do it...when St Mary's came out, they were determined ... the Zags will have to have that attitude to win even a single game... they need to pass the damn ball and quit standing around and watching one on one play.:(

Stache
03-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Talking heads looking for the "middle seeded teams" that could do some damage. Referred to St. Mary's and SDSU. We are off the radar screen!! Expectations have been nuked!! We are underdogs! That is exactly where we come from when have the best NCAA rides....

23dpg
03-13-2010, 08:56 AM
The over/under for a successful season for me is to win 1 game in the tourney. Preseason my o/u was just to make the tourney.

TacomaZAG
03-13-2010, 10:09 AM
It's all about the matchups. If we get in the right bracket (any bracket not back east) and the guys get healthy in the next week, we can go a long way. OTOH, if we get sent back east and have to play in the AM, it could easily be one-and-done.

That's why they play the games. I think the rotation will be much shorter in the tourney (6-7 guys if the game is close) and this is where Manny being out will really hurt. If our bigs can stay out of foul trouble I like our chances against anyone.

Can't wait until Sunday, just don't put us on the east coast, I don't care if we seeded 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10.

Go ZAGS

Go ZAGS

FuManShoes
03-13-2010, 10:26 AM
I think it's more about matchups and focus than time zones. The Zags have done a lot of traveling and played both early and late games and won both - in hostile territory - so that aspect won't be a surprise. But the energy level and focus have waned from time to time and that simply can't happen in the dance. If the Zags come out flat footed or let off the gas pedal it could be all she wrote. I pray Matt is back to form, Sacre's hooks are dropping, Gray can hit at least a couple threes and limit TOs, Harris can regain his rebounding prowess, Meech can pick his spots and Bol/Kelly can provide some quality bench minutes. That's a lot to ask for but with the way this team shoots free throws (or rather, misses them), there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room. It starts and ends with D. They need to get back to putting bodies on guys, denying penetration, resisting the sag and grabbing boards. They've shown all these things at some point this year so it's not asking for a miracle.

LynetteG
03-13-2010, 12:57 PM
(positive thinking)

We WILL win the next 6 games

Zagatak
03-13-2010, 03:18 PM
(positive thinking)

+10000000

ZagLawGrad
03-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Championship basketball is about desire. Let's get rid of the matchup talk. One opponent and one game at a time, regardless of who it is. No excuses.

BlueVoodoo07
03-16-2010, 03:07 AM
I still have faith in what i posted!!! Go Zags, one game at a time.

ronh_pm
03-16-2010, 08:32 AM
While my heart is with you, I believe that Gonzaga knocking off Syracuse, even with their unfortunate injury problem, would be one of the major upsets of the tourney this year.

The only other upsets of this magnitude that I see could come to be, would be Texas or perhaps even Temple knocking off Kentucky and to a lessor degree, Notre Dame taking down Villinova.

Like I said I with you in heart and believe it could happen, but if I was going to be laying money....

"''Never give in. Never, never, never, never! Never yield in any way, great or small, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force and the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy'' (Winston Churchill)"

Nevtelen
03-16-2010, 09:37 AM
If GU wins vs FSU it'll be nice - recently this team has not played well enough to win a first round game. If they beat Syracuse, it'll be maybe the 2nd biggest win in the history of the program (after going to the EE) and probably the most difficult win a GU team has gotten ever.

At the beginning of the year, I thought this squad would struggle to make the NCAAs given the youth. I'm glad they've made it, but they raised expectations along the way with their play at times. I think winning our first round game and not getting blown out in round 2 is a realistic hope for this team. If they can do that I'll be very satisfied.

gamagin
03-16-2010, 10:24 AM
All right I am calling it right now this will be the year we knockoff a 3 seed or higher.

The reason I think this is because we finally are back to having a team after some of are losses that will not be expected to do more than win a game.

what are you actually attempting to say in the second pgh above ?

skan72
03-16-2010, 10:46 AM
(positive thinking)

+10000000

+infinity and beyond!

gamagin
03-16-2010, 11:08 AM
+infinity and beyond!

BlueVoodoo07
03-16-2010, 11:11 AM
what are you actually attempting to say in the second pgh above ?
It's not really hard to figure out. It means for the first time in awhile we are not really expected to win even a game maybe. That equals no pressure just go out and play loose. I know from reading alot of your posts gama you know what it means you just like stirring up people and causing drama on the boards.

gamagin
03-16-2010, 11:19 AM
It's not really hard to figure out. It means for the first time in awhile we are not really expected to win even a game maybe. That equals no pressure just go out and play loose. I know from reading alot of your posts gama you know what it means you just like stirring up people and causing drama on the boards.

I agree with most of the above & the interpretation. But in order to agree, it helps me to know what it is you are saying, not guessing what it is. If that is stirring up drama, I plead guilty. You have alot to say, and much enthusiasm & I enjoy reading your thoughts, fwiw.