PDA

View Full Version : Here's a radical thought

zagamatic
03-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Ok, first I stipulate that this is extremely unlikely to happen, but.......why not give the NCAA automatic bid to the regular season champion for each conference instead of the conference tourney winner? I'm not saying that the tournament outcomes shouldn't be considered, but just about any team can get hot and win 2,3 or 4 games. Imho, all this does is tell teams that they can sluff off during the regular season, turn it on at the end and be called the champions and reap the rewards. This is NOT a direct dig on SMC, but rather an honest question about fairness. All too often, a team gets the short end of the stick on a great season because of one game.
And I know that the arguement is going to come up about; well, that just means that if the regular season champ doesn't want to, they don't have to play well in the tourney or risk injuring key players. And that could certainly be the case sometimes.
However, keep in mind that these players AND coaches are ALL playing for pride. And coaches are playing for better contracts as well as potential pro-prospects are playing for a spot on a team.
I just thought this is an interesting question and want to see what the rest of you think.

Ziggy
03-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Good Q, I give it 5-stars for newness.:)

CB4
03-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Like the Ivy League does, correct? It should be up to each conference how it determines its champion. The conference tournament is very profitable so it would be foolish to get rid of it.

Rangerzag
03-12-2010, 06:53 PM
My guess is the regular season champ is more likely to have a better overall record and thus more likely to qualify for an at-large bid than the "johnny come lately" conference winning spoiler. As a result the conference would then get the extra team into the tournament and the conference would reap somewhat a win-fall in moolah as a consequence of the extra team in the big dance.

I doubt conferences would vote to take themselves out of a lottery like that.

SanDiegoZag
03-12-2010, 07:17 PM
It's all about the money... The conference tourney provides another avenue for revenue to be generated through TV and ticket sales.

I think more leagues should mimic the same type of tournament setup as the WCC where the lower seeded teams have to win more games and they reward the top regular season performers with byes. Or you could play most or all of the conference tourney at the site of the top seed like the Big Sky...

Without a conference tourney, a lot of schools would feel like they have nothing left to play for once they were eliminated from the regular season championship. Teams might just mail it in. IDK, just playing devil's advocate.

CB4
03-12-2010, 11:37 PM
My biggest problem with the current format is that 100% of the teams make the playoffs. Instead of all 8, take the top 6 in the WCC and split the revenue between those six schools (or however they do it) and the two eliminated teams get nothing. This would still keep most teams in contention during the regular season and it would also be a motivation for the schools to develop their program so they can get a piece of the pie.

alaskazagnut
03-12-2010, 11:53 PM
the same thing except I might add the conference tournament games into the regular season equation. So that even if the lower seeded team won out, they probably still would not have enough wins to surpass the winning percentage. So after the end of the conference tournament the team that still had the best winning percentage would get the automatic bid.

I bet if we did research we would find the winners of all the conferences regular season titles were still granted at large bids the majority of the time anyway. So changing it would really only be rewarding the minority and even possibly helping the ones who got lucky early and won the conference. I think the hottest teams are what the NCAA wants. Not the most deserving.

RockandRollJames
03-13-2010, 01:32 AM
It's way more exciting to do it by conference tournaments. We would have been robbed of all the joy of Cleveland St. last year.

CDC84
03-13-2010, 11:26 AM
It's all about the money... The conference tourney provides another avenue for revenue to be generated through TV and ticket sales.

Bingo.

Sadly, that means more than putting the league's best team into the dance.....the team that is most likely to spring an upset and bring tons of positive PR to the conference.

Das Zagger
03-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Bingo.

Sadly, that means more than putting the league's best team into the dance.....the team that is most likely to spring an upset and bring tons of positive PR to the conference.

Plus more games on TV means more cash. More games means more in ticket sales.

The WCC has corrected itself in seeding by giving the top teams byes.

HillBillyZag
03-13-2010, 04:54 PM
I still feel that teams with 10+ losses have no business going dancing. Nobody held a gun to the AD's and forced them to join the Big East, Big Ten, or Big anything.