PDA

View Full Version : OT - Anthony Johnson 42 Points in Big Sky 'ship

JohnOGU
03-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Maybe the best performance I've seen all year. The kid outscored Weber by himself in the second half. Willed his team to victory. Amazing.

mtzaga
03-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Maybe the best performance I've seen all year. The kid outscored Weber by himself in the second half. Willed his team to victory. Amazing.

The Griz were down by 20 at half time.

ZagDaddy
03-10-2010, 08:08 PM
That was an amazing performance of a senior putting a team on his back and willing it victory. Very much like Derrick Nelson did the previous night by putting up 38 for Oakland in the Summit League Championship. Can't over emphasize the value of senior leadership this time of the year. If you missed either of those gems you missed something special.

alaskazagnut
03-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Truly amazing games. Things are definitely getting intense and exciting.

hooter73
03-10-2010, 08:11 PM
my father just called me to tell me about it. Amazing.

kylasdad
03-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Heres to hoping that in the next few weeks we get a similar night from Sacre, then Bouldin, then Gray, then Harris, then...

rawkmandale
03-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Foster

Zagineer
03-10-2010, 08:43 PM
I heard the half time score (Weber State up by 20) on the radio driving home from work. (Yup. I work late.)

Got to watch the second half. Just amazing.

As a GU grad from '71 (that's back in the day when Weber State was GU's number 1 rival), it was fun to watch. I've always liked the Griz. I've always liked Missoula, the town.

But now, my son-in-law is a Weber State Alum (also a GU Law School Alum :) ), so I must guard my emotions. I must say, however, over the past few years, I have softened my emotions towards Weber State.

All I can say to my son-in-law and to all the Weber State fans out there is that "I feel your pain".

We've (GU) been there...... Done that. And it's painful. :(

lothar98zag
03-11-2010, 12:09 PM
back story on AJ:

http://rushthecourt.net/2009/10/27/rtc-2009-10-impact-players-mountain-region/#more-11816
(from last fall)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Even-better-than-Montana-hero-s-42-point-game-H?urn=ncaab,227403
(from last night)

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-11-2010, 12:13 PM
AJ has a great back story. I know Andy Katz has a link to his story from his update about AJ. Basic back story, AJ was pretty good on a bad team in high school out of Tacoma. Terrible grades too. Met a girl after HS, got his focus on track, went to CC, and now the best player in the Big Sky. I remember watching him in highschool since he was in my highschool's league, and I grew up loving my highschool team play. He was good, but not dominant. Wow how far he has come, what a great guy and great story.

lothar98zag
03-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Girlfriend basically made him tryout @ the CC. She plays too. He brought her to the Griz as a "package." She is still playing for a shot @ the women's NCAAs.

lothar98zag
03-11-2010, 01:36 PM
AJ has a great back story. I know Andy Katz has a link to his story from his update about AJ. Basic back story, AJ was pretty good on a bad team in high school out of Tacoma. Terrible grades too. Met a girl after HS, got his focus on track, went to CC, and now the best player in the Big Sky. I remember watching him in highschool since he was in my highschool's league, and I grew up loving my highschool team play. He was good, but not dominant. Wow how far he has come, what a great guy and great story.
katz - http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/4986610/johnson-montana-win-one-ages

demian
03-11-2010, 06:12 PM
i lived in Yakima and i remember when anthony johnson played here at YVCC a few years ago and he was real good. I also remember the local newspaper here in Yakima reporting when both he and his wife had accepted scholarships to Montana as a package deal, it was a real neat story. This guy is a great example of the value of the JUCO route. Go Griz.