PDA

View Full Version : Game break topic -- Dower and Stockton?

SunDevilGolfZag
03-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Anyone have info on the development of these two guys throughout the season? It would be interesting to get a report from someone in the know. Thanks.

RockandRollJames
03-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Apparently Dower blocks an "unreal amount of shots". That is an actual quotation by the way. He has great touch and can make jumpers. His range does not stop at mid-range, but he can hit the three ball. If anyone else remembers Kraziness in the Kennel, he hucked up some 3's that did not look good. But I was told that he hits them in practice and the coaches give him the green light to shoot them. It could have just been nerves. He should be more of a finesse guy on offense and a pretty good defender.

Don't have too many expectations for Stockton... Obviously he is better than your average walk-on, but just don't expect too much.

Personally, I can't wait to see Dower next year and have a good feeling about him.

Booster
03-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Dower is the real deal. Long and athletic, scorer and rebounder. Stockton is going to surprise folks with his court sense, vision, and ability to knock down that must have long range jumper. A mid year scrimmage just a few weeks back (witnessed by several former players in attendance) verify the fact that Dower will contribute significantly next year. Stock's in another 2 years.

ZagLawGrad
03-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Don't know much about Stockton's game at this point. Do know that his cousin, Shawn Stockton, was an All-Stater two years running at Ferris, and IMO was a better player than David in comparing their senior years. Now, Shawn Stockton's had little playing time at Montana so far. Will be interesting to see how David comes along.

BroncoZAG615
03-10-2010, 07:42 PM
I can see it now....Dower sliding into the power forward spot, move Elias out to the three, and complete that front line with Rob at center.

Oh my

rawkmandale
03-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Oh my....

Reasons to make it through the summer. I love summer, except for one thing - no Zag ball going on.

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-10-2010, 08:54 PM
I do not think he is comfortable on the perimeter yet, he seems best in getting the ball in the midrange area, at the freethrow line or where the Euro block would be. Dower will be really good next year. The kid has touch, is a lefty, and has decent size. The kid is a great kid as well. He needs to improve his athleticism, but other than that, he will be really good. I think he will be better than ko in his senio year.

BroncoZAG615
03-10-2010, 09:01 PM
I do not think he is comfortable on the perimeter yet, he seems best in getting the ball in the midrange area, at the freethrow line or where the Euro block would be. Dower will be really good next year. The kid has touch, is a lefty, and has decent size. The kid is a great kid as well. He needs to improve his athleticism, but other than that, he will be really good. I think he will be better than ko in his senio year.

Elias moving to the three just has to happen. It makes sense for him, as it is his future as a basketball player to play from the outside. Just because he is a three, it doesn't mean he has to cast up three's all day. With the island that our offense already puts him on, he might as well just move to the outside and work on his outside shot a little more.

For the staff it makes sense because you've got a very skilled pure power forward in Sam Dower that is very versatile. A redshirt year to add weight, learn more about playing D1 basketball, and working hard in practice is exactly what he needed.

Going back to Elias for a second, don't forget that this whole position switch could be big for recruiting down the line. We don't exactly have the best NBA development program in the country but if the staff can mold Harris into a successful small forward with an NBA future, they can finally point to a guy and say "see, look how we changed his game to get him ready for the next step."

A lot of recruitment (much more than we know) is about the player and his families belief that a certain coach or program can prepare them for the next level.

It's a win-win-win.

MDABE80
03-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Elias goes nowhere unless it's as a #3. He gets away (barely) as a 4 in college. He'll need quite a bit development to make it as a 3...even though it's his natural position. A Magic Johnson he ain't now but with training and develpment to learn the spot, he might work in the NBA. HAsn't done much in the past 6 or more games. he'll need to pick it up quite a bit.

Dower was very good last Summer....he was good in the preseason as well. I didn't agree with him being redshirted then but I do now. He's got spped, leeping ability and good hands for shooting....he'll add lots next Auntumn. Seen several times by oru MInneapolic poster. Nothing but good things to say and I can confirm it from what I saw last Summer. Soft , soft touch with good athleticism.

David...I haven't seen since Summer. I suspect he'll be a good addition in a few years. Amazing intangibles. Sense of where everyone is and a good passer. Smart player.. Ballhandling is very good as is his speed. Needs a lot of work on shooting Hope he got it this year.

Saxon_zag
03-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Don't have too many expectations for Stockton... Obviously he is better than your average walk-on, but just don't expect too much.

Just the opposite is true

webspinnre
03-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Saxon, you're saying he's worse than the average walk-on?

RockandRollJames
03-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Saxon, you're saying he's worse than the average walk-on?

Ya, I was wondering this too. I can guaruntee you that there is a huge difference between Stockton and guys like P-Maag and Sorenson. That's no knock on those two, because they brought something else to the table. Especially Sorenson.

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-11-2010, 12:15 PM
The kid is better than your typical rah-rah should be a manager walk-on, but I do not think he is nearly as good as Hart. He will never really contribute much from a basketball perspective, but my guess is stockton is a fantastic chemistry guy and really good practice player.

Saxon_zag
03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Mike Hart is a lot better than Stockton and we all know why Stockton got his invited walk-on spot. Kid didn't exactly tear up the gsl

RockandRollJames
03-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Mike Hart is a lot better than Stockton and we all know why Stockton got his invited walk-on spot. Kid didn't exactly tear up the gsl

I agree that Hart is better and it is very evident why he got the invited spot. It's my fault for not specifying, but I was comparing him to Sorenson and P-Maag. I should have been clearer.

killerbootsman
03-11-2010, 02:16 PM
He's a 150 lb P-Maag at best.

Zag 77
03-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Saxon, I beg to differ. David Stockton led his team (G-Prep) to a 3-1 record in the Washington 4A finals in 2009 and a 4th place finish. Their only loss was to the eventual state champ in overtime. He was also an All-GSL pick.

The fact that your handle implies that you are a Ferris Saxon, who just happens to be a big rival of G-Prep isn't coloring your perceptions, is it? David Stockton's teams and Ferris had more than their share of knock-down drag-out battles while he was there.

He easily is going to be as good as other walk-ons like Sorenson, Shaggy, P-Maag and Michaelsen.

ZagHouse
03-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Just a gut feeling, but I predict that Mike Hart will be offered a scholarship before all is said and done and his contributions on the floor will greatly increase.

In terms of Stockton, my gut also says we'll never see him contribute much more than garbage minutes.

I'm glad my gut doesn't rely on any evidence to make its predictions.

Saxon_zag
03-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Saxon, I beg to differ. David Stockton led his team (G-Prep) to a 3-1 record in the Washington 4A finals in 2009 and a 4th place finish. Their only loss was to the eventual state champ in overtime. He was also an All-GSL pick.

The fact that your handle implies that you are a Ferris Saxon, who just happens to be a big rival of G-Prep isn't coloring your perceptions, is it? David Stockton's teams and Ferris had more than their share of knock-down drag-out battles while he was there.

He easily is going to be as good as other walk-ons like Sorenson, Shaggy, P-Maag and Michaelsen.

You're probably right, I graduated the year before so I didn't get to see David much in his senior year but it's not hard to see how undersized he is. His game is solid for a walk-on and i'm sure he'll get better but without the last name this kid isn't even close to the zags program right now. Not to sound like some silly homer but pretty easy to see athletically the stockton's that went to ferris are better than the one's that went to g-prep :P We never really had close games with g-prep when i was at Ferris, 20-50 point shalackings every time

SunDevilGolfZag
03-11-2010, 04:12 PM
When I started this thread, I was just kind of wondering if anyone knew how Stockton was actually doing in practice this year. He may well have a very bright future. I already know about the past.

MickMick
03-11-2010, 05:15 PM
When I went to Kraziness in the Kennel, Stockton was dwarfed by every other player on the team. He is quite small in stature and build. He might have heart and smarts, but the odds of him overcoming his physical stature seem very long to me.

ZagLawGrad
03-11-2010, 05:50 PM
When I went to Kraziness in the Kennel, Stockton was dwarfed by every other player on the team. He is quite small in stature and build. He might have heart and smarts, but the odds of him overcoming his physical stature seem very long to me.

Agreed. Longshot. But I like his heart and determination. So we'll see.

MDABE80
03-11-2010, 08:26 PM
David will contribute. He was a very very good GSL player. If he would have been 2 inches taller and 15 lbs heavier, he wouldn't be at GU right now. But..he isn't. I hear he's growing still. He's got those certain things that coaches love. He'll blossom...just my guess. Few will love the outcome.

541zaggin
03-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Knowing Stocks personally, his bark is much greater than his bite. From what I can tell he doesnt have the strength or outside shooting that we have come to love in our PG's (minus pargo and meech). I do not see him getting many minutes at all unless something drastic happens.

As for KO, I have said it before, but I hope that he and Bol secure up the 3 position while Sammy, Elias and Rob hold down the frontcourt. Manny and Steve will play the 2 and GJ and Meech will share minutes. GG will be a 1-2 combo much like Matty is now.

Therunner
03-12-2010, 03:46 AM
A fellow student mentioned David Stockton is actually close to 5'9". Is this accurate?

I realized David was slight of frame, yet presumed he was at least 6'+, like his Father. I have heard John is much taller than his son at this point,, yet maybe David is a late bloomer and still has some growing left to do?

Edit to add: was curious, so I glanced at David's FB page and noticed numerous pictures of the Stocktons at various events this past year. As mentioned, John is at least 3-4" taller than his son, David.

RockandRollJames
03-12-2010, 10:13 AM
A fellow student mentioned David Stockton is actually close to 5'9". Is this accurate?

That is very accurate. He is more of a 5'9" than a 5'10".