PDA

View Full Version : NBA Scouts

northsidezagfan
03-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Sorry this is a bit late but i just got back from Vegas and finally got access to a computer. Saturday and Sunday there were about 10 or so scouts in my section and the one next to me (on the floor behind the visitor's basket) from the Wizards, Warriors, Blazers, Kings, and other teams. During the San Fran game Friday and St Marys game Saturday the seats were pretty empty so i got the chance to have a few words with a scout from the Wizards. He said they weren't really looking at anybody in particular besides omar and a couple Zags. They took a few notes on Lowhorn but weren't impressed with his quickness. As far as omar, he told me he was too deliberate with the ball and not quick enough off the floor but an ok player. I asked which Zags he liked, besides Elias obviously, and he said they really likes Steven's athleticism, defense, and shooting. Also, they were keeping an eye on Bol after the LMU game. He caused a bit of a buzz among several of the scouts with his length and shooting, as well as the ability to take it to the rack he showed in the LMU game. That was about all i had time for didnt get to ask about Rob or Matt at all. Nothing too revealing but thought some of you guys might be interested.

TexasZagFan
03-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Good post...enjoy the rep.

Therunner
03-10-2010, 05:52 AM
I asked which Zags he liked, besides Elias obviously, and he said they really likes Steven's athleticism, defense, and shooting. Also, they were keeping an eye on Bol after the LMU game. He caused a bit of a buzz among several of the scouts with his length and shooting, as well as the ability to take it to the rack he showed in the LMU game.

I really enjoy these type of posts and quite frankly, the most entertaining & worthwhile thread we've had in awhile. I now realize I prefer the preseason and offseason posts moreso than mid-season threads. The majority of posters are actually hopeful, thoughtful, and excited during the pre/off-season and mostly irrational, emotional, or ill-tempered during the season unless they get there way. Anywho, thats another topic all together--but thanks for the fun update!

Not surprised to learn about Bol getting some NBA attention. He's a smooth player who makes it look easy, yet can also look uninspired or lazy. If he had the motor and/or experience some of our other guys have, he'd be a force. His time will come and has a bright future. That said, I'd think the scouts would have been more intrigued by Manny following the LMU game. He can jump out of the gym, defend, rebound with the best in the world, and is a smart player. He still needs more confidence on the offensive side of the ball, but that is who I see with the unlimited ceiling. Of course Steven will garner NBA attention and can't wait to see how he handles the limelight next year(or maybe even this year in NCAA's)

kitzbuel
03-10-2010, 06:15 AM
I really look forward to seeing Manny, Bol and Sam gelling. They could well be a core of players that rank with the best GU has had to offer.

DADoZAG
03-10-2010, 06:54 AM
I really enjoy these type of posts and quite frankly, the most entertaining & worthwhile thread we've had in awhile. …

Not surprised to learn about Bol getting some NBA attention. …. Of course Steven will garner NBA attention and can't wait to see how he handles the limelight next year(or maybe even this year in NCAA's)

Well said, runner.

It does appear that Bol will make some noise the next two years, and it will be interesting to watch Steven’s development continue. Gray worked on the “other” parts of his game last summer and has rounded himself out very nicely for what might be a very “profitable” senior campaign.

More about this topic after April 5th…

Thanx for the info, northside!!!!

Go ZAGS!

HillBillyZag
03-10-2010, 07:03 AM
IMHO all of this NBA Bravo Sierra about kids that just put on an exhibition like we just witnessed is part of the problem. Its enough for an 18 or 19 year old kid to worry about in learning to be the best Collegiate player he/she can be for the present, if successful at that the NBA offers will be there. For this Gonzaga fan. at least, this site is NOT about the NBA.

WyoZag
03-10-2010, 07:28 AM
IMHO all of this NBA Bravo Sierra about kids that just put on an exhibition like we just witnessed is part of the problem. Its enough for an 18 or 19 year old kid to worry about in learning to be the best Collegiate player he/she can be for the present, if successful at that the NBA offers will be there. For this Gonzaga fan. at least, this site is NOT about the NBA.

Nothing in that post perpetuates the NBA hype machine. The guy simply said he chatted with some scouts about certain players. You can't tell me that you wouldn't be excited on some level to have a conversation with a scout or player personnel type.

Besides, what NBA team want an 18 or 19 year old kid that can't be coached?

U Zig, I Zag
03-10-2010, 07:43 AM
Nothing in that post perpetuates the NBA hype machine. The guy simply said he chatted with some scouts about certain players. You can't tell me that you wouldn't be excited on some level to have a conversation with a scout or player personnel type.

Besides, what NBA team want an 18 or 19 year old kid that can't be coached?

+1

If anything, some expert observation was relayed is all.

Several posters, HBZ being one, want to separate the NBA and college talk.

For me, leaving NBA\Pro talk off the radar doesn't help much and would make for some strange discussions.

"If Gray wants to Sports Manage at the next level he really has to work on his paper pushing!"

meh.

not calling you out HBZ, but I don't think NOT discussing NBA things doesn't help the boards at all.

BJZags
03-10-2010, 08:20 AM
RE: Bol Kong

I remember a couple months back Steve Lavin commented on how Bol "looked alot" like Luol Deng. Not sure about his game yet, but the physical resemblance is definitely there.

Angelo Roncalli
03-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Danny Ainge was in attendance. He was impressed with Kelly Olynyk.

U Zig, I Zag
03-10-2010, 08:29 AM

Nice. I see good things for KO.

Thomas_Sutpen
03-10-2010, 09:11 AM

KO was the epitome of efficiency against SMC; in limited action (11 minutes), he put up 7 points (shooting 3-4), snagged 3 boards, and blocked a shot.

He & Kong will be absolutely key for us if we want to win a few games in the tournament.

BJZags
03-10-2010, 10:10 AM

My wife calls KO "pacifier" because he looks like such a young kid! In a couple years when he gets a bit stronger, I think he'll be an incredible player who can contribute offensively from a variety of spots on the floor.

gamagin
03-10-2010, 10:20 AM

2-3 of our players, plus our regular stars, can impress the pros. But that's what's become the norm.

On reflection, what is not to be admired about KO. He was a point guard, playmaker, high IQ ballhandler in high school, who kept growing and is now among our tallest. A point guard suddenly on stilts.

Imagine another potential John Stockton at 6-11. What a dream ! What a find.