PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few & Oregon

GrizZAG
03-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Today I was told by one of my rabid Duck fan co-workers in Portland that he heard on the local sports talk radio that Mark Few has told Oregon he will come for a ten year deal that guarantees $25M. Anybody hear anything about this over there?
He says Randy Bennet is # 2 on the short list for Oregon also.
Rumor or something to this?

d2zag
03-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Today I was told by one of my rabid Duck fan co-workers in Portland that he heard on the local sports talk radio that Mark Few has told Oregon he will come for a ten year deal that guarantees $25M. Anybody hear anything about this over there?

I obviously don't know, but I highly, highly doubt that. I don't think Mark Few would do that. He's got it all at GU. It's a better place than Oregon.

kylasdad
03-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Looks like were screwed. Or wait, maybe with a new coach we won't get "out coached" so much. Maybe the new coach will listen to us over here @ guboards a little more and actually set goals to win a national championship.

CB4
03-09-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm not doubting that Few may leave soon, but this is nothing more than a rumor. 10 years, 25 million... no way.

MDABE80
03-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Isn't this the 10th year running some bozo....well...nevermind...we have a tournament to win...

dpouley
03-09-2010, 09:24 PM
I think it will take a lot more than 2.5 a year to get Mark to leave Spokane and Gonzaga.

MedZag
03-09-2010, 09:44 PM

Haven't heard this at all. In fact, and I've kept a close eye on this because of my obvious investments, but there has been zip zilch nada from reliable sources in the Oregon sports world involving Few. Just a lot of wistful conjecture by Ducks mouthpieces that gets propogated as actual rumor. It won't slow down either. Duck fans think very highly of their school and their athletic "standards" and think its nigh impossible for any coach to resist the lure of Nike and the Pac-10. I would know, I come from a family of Ducks.

There was a lot of chatter on the local portland sports talk radio though that PJ Carlisimo is close to signing.

GrizZAG
03-09-2010, 09:51 PM
The purported deal is so outrageous that if were true Iwould interpret that as Mark Few saying no thanks politely with a smile on his face.

The Oregon Spike
03-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Isaac and Big Suke from the AM station KFXX (That no one in Portland even listens to) stated that they heard a "rumor" about Mark Few turning down a $25Mm offer in 2008 to go to Oregon. They then asked, well...if he turned it down in 2008..then what would it take now?

Meanwhile, Duck fans are stating that if they want Mark Few, they will take Mark Few and it is laughable that piddly little Gonzaga has a chance at retaining him...

Other candidates in speculation are Marc Turgeon, PJ Carlesimo, Jay Wright, and Monty Williams..........

I don't hate Oregon.....but man, I hate the fans.

longball
03-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Oregon will not pay their basketball coach more than their football coach. Maybe at UCLA and Arizona, but not at Oregon.

Birddog
03-10-2010, 03:45 AM
There was a lot of chatter on the local portland sports talk radio though that PJ Carlisimo is close to signing.

That would be a mistake of epic proportions. PJ's day has come and gone. He should stick with broadcasting. I can hear the Ducks screaming "bring back Ernie" already.

Zagpower
03-10-2010, 05:45 AM
Big Jay Wright fan and haven't been following this but what would be the attraction of Oregon over Villanova?

Would it just be money? The Big East is the premier conference and he has a legit shot at a National Championship every year at Villanova. Is he unhappy there?
Are there limitations to the Villanova job?

willandi
03-10-2010, 05:49 AM
How about 25MILL for 10 Minutes? Then he could re-sign with the Zags!!

Das Zagger
03-10-2010, 06:37 AM
I'm not too sure that Oregon will be dipping into the SMC pool for coaches again.

CDC84
03-10-2010, 07:13 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2011165950_withers24.html

This may be a tricky hire for the Ducks. The common perception that they'll just throw a cubicle of cash at Kent's successor is unlikely. Although Oregon no doubt would like some splash with the opening of a new building, it still figures to have to keep the basketball coach's salary below that of football coach Chip Kelly, who earned $1.8 million, including incentives, for a Rose Bowl season.

OregonZag5
03-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Coming back from Vegas, I read all the back Eugene papers and that made me more depressed- in addition to all the e mails from my Oregon 'friends"- it is very clear that Oregon will go after Few as they did last year- it is frankly up to him and the wife as to the decision- I am willing to bet that at this time he does not know what he is going to do and I guess has told Oregon that he will not until the season is over- I can not see him talking about the job with the NCAA's coming up.

I can tell you that his name is the only name that everyone is talking about - I keep bringing up Randy Bennett's name as the next coach and I get no where-

Whatever is going to happen will happen-

OregonZag5
03-10-2010, 07:25 AM
I forgot to add that while at Vegas I get phone calls from my two Duck children saying I should enjoy watching Few coach his last couple of games and I told them both that they should enjoy their inheirtance setting up scholarships at GU

LongIslandZagFan
03-10-2010, 07:27 AM
GU should fire Few... send him packing. He didn't win the conference tourney. Clearly he cannot coach.

longwinded
03-10-2010, 07:34 AM
This was supposed to be a rebuilding year. 9 freshmen, yet we still have a great season, we're goin to the tournament again (unlike UNC for instance), we look good going forward, and we lose to a motivated and skilled St. Mary's team. Coaching is more than one game. It involves recruiting, in-game coaching, and just luck sometimes. His record speaks for itself. When he stops coaching for Gonzaga we will think back on his tenure fondly and it doesn't speak well for out fanbase that they have already forgotten how different Gonzaga is now than a decade and a half ago. Please, people, get a sense of perspective.

Once and Future Zag
03-10-2010, 07:38 AM
I heard he'll go to Oregon, but only if they stay at Mac Court.
:rolleyes:

75Zag
03-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Conzano just posted his blog on the Oregon coaching position. Here is the link. http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2010/03/canzano_blog_the_latest_on_ore.html

Read for yourself, but my take is that John states that he does not believe Few would take the Oregon job, but Canzano hopes that it is formally offered and rejected, just to show Oregon tried and to close that particular chapter.

Carlisimo? What a bad choice that would be!

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

LongIslandZagFan
03-10-2010, 08:25 AM
This was supposed to be a rebuilding year. 9 freshmen, yet we still have a great season, we're goin to the tournament again (unlike UNC for instance), we look good going forward, and we lose to a motivated and skilled St. Mary's team. Coaching is more than one game. It involves recruiting, in-game coaching, and just luck sometimes. His record speaks for itself. When he stops coaching for Gonzaga we will think back on his tenure fondly and it doesn't speak well for out fanbase that they have already forgotten how different Gonzaga is now than a decade and a half ago. Please, people, get a sense of perspective.

I hope you did get my sarcasm.

Edited to add, that I 100% agree with everything in your post.

ZagNative
03-10-2010, 08:38 AM
This was supposed to be a rebuilding year. 9 freshmen, yet we still have a great season, we're goin to the tournament again (unlike UNC for instance), we look good going forward, and we lose to a motivated and skilled St. Mary's team. Coaching is more than one game. It involves recruiting, in-game coaching, and just luck sometimes. His record speaks for itself. When he stops coaching for Gonzaga we will think back on his tenure fondly and it doesn't speak well for out fanbase that they have already forgotten how different Gonzaga is now than a decade and a half ago. Please, people, get a sense of perspective.Thank you.

omahazag
03-10-2010, 08:50 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2010/03/canzano_blog_the_latest_on_ore.html

Even Canzano realizes that Few is a long, long shot for Oregon.

I do think Turgeon would be a great hire.

gamagin
03-10-2010, 09:02 AM

how come only 2 posts. Irony ? an alias ? anyway, good post.

DixieZag
03-10-2010, 09:47 AM
They should hire Steve Alford, he has made New Mexico a top 10 team and probably wants a BCS school job.

The "out" clause for Oregon in Few's contract makes me worry some.

And I guess it would just be too obvious to hire Randy Bennett.

OregonZag5
03-10-2010, 10:35 AM
I thought I read somewhere that ALford left Iowa as it was too much of a football school- well no matter what one might say Oregon is a football school-

overthehill
03-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Looks like were screwed. Or wait, maybe with a new coach we won't get "out coached" so much. Maybe the new coach will listen to us over here @ guboards a little more and actually set goals to win a national championship.

...and you are coaching where, recruiting who, making how much $ to win titles and go to the big dance year after year?
get a life.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

lothar98zag
03-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Oregon will not pay their basketball coach more than their football coach. Maybe at UCLA and Arizona, but not at Oregon.
They could work around this is the coach was connected to Nike. Whatever Nike currently pays them, it could be increased...

(Wait. Few is w/ Nike - oh no! someone find me a cliff!!!!!!)

Has anyone seen a list online of which coaches are tied to Nike. If I was trying to figure out who they hire, that's where I'd start.

U Zig, I Zag
03-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Has anyone seen a list online of which coaches are tied to Nike. If I was trying to figure out who they hire, that's where I'd start.

If it was the 80's it would be which coaches are Velcroed to Nike. ;)

tobizag
03-10-2010, 12:21 PM
The "out" clause for Oregon in Few's contract makes me worry some.

is this confirmed fact that he has an out in his contract?

Das Zagger
03-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Dixon would be a great hire but not sure about his west coast ties, he'd be going from football school to a pseudo-football school.

PJ would be weird, he's been out of the game awhile.

Few has an out for Oregon in his contract, I think if was going to exercise that out, he would have done it by now.

Tubby would be intriguing, done a good job at Minny.

Alford, IMHO, would be the best, west coast ties, good coach, makes less now than he does at UNM.

realtydog
03-10-2010, 12:38 PM
but if the day comes----do any of the other coaches have a clause like the one Billy G had?? or would we be able to open up a search--I would like to hire Lorenzo Romar---think of all those top recruits and under performing teams we would be treated with

gamagin
03-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Few has an out for Oregon in his contract, I think if was going to exercise that out, he would have done it by now.

I've seen it speculated but not as fact as you indicate. How ?

thanks,

Das Zagger
03-10-2010, 12:50 PM
I've seen it speculated but not as fact as you indicate. How ?

thanks,

Gonzaga's Mark Few has an out in his contract for Oregon. We all know that. But what we don't know is if the guy who turned down Indiana, Arizona and others would be interested in jumping to Oregon. I suspect not. But I'd love to see Oregon throw a blank check his way, if only for peace of mind as the search moves forward.

link to Baldy's article (http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2010/03/canzano_blog_the_latest_on_ore.html)

tobizag
03-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Gonzaga's Mark Few has an out in his contract for Oregon. We all know that. But what we don't know is if the guy who turned down Indiana, Arizona and others would be interested in jumping to Oregon. I suspect not. But I'd love to see Oregon throw a blank check his way, if only for peace of mind as the search moves forward.

link to Baldy's article (http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2010/03/canzano_blog_the_latest_on_ore.html)

yeah, i saw this in the article. i was just curious if there is more information out there to verify this claim outside of a journalist on the internet saying "we all know this." how does the writer know this?

Jedster
03-10-2010, 01:37 PM
..... that Mark Few has told Oregon he will come for a ten year deal that guarantees $25M.

The part they left out was Mark also told them, "and when Bigfoot has his baby". :)

I would be shocked to see him take the Oregon job. Floored more like it.

beatsc
03-10-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm not too sure that Oregon will be dipping into the SMC pool for coaches again.

Kent had a great record over his career. Your comments about the SMC coaching pool are not helpful

tobizag
03-10-2010, 02:31 PM

i just emailed canzano to see if he would give up his source for this piece of information.

gamagin
03-10-2010, 02:44 PM

My guess is Few "may" have had such an out a few years go

But why would that be left out there when his tenure and salary reached a point where the only way the two sides would part would be by mutual agreement ? Good salary through the staff, new building, private transportation, support, pledges etc etc., at some point in negotiations, I would think, the honeymoon is over.

Das Zagger
03-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Kent had a great record over his career. Your comments about the SMC coaching pool are not helpful

Great response. You think Oregon alums are going to be pumped stealing a coach from the same school the now fired coach came from? You really think that?

Ernie's sub .500 Pac 10 winning percentage screams "greatness."

MEZAG
03-10-2010, 04:12 PM
an out in the contract is just a keen negotiating tactic when it is time to up he and his staffs benefits package. Doesn't mean he will ever use it.

HOOTER
03-10-2010, 04:20 PM
...and you are coaching where, recruiting who, making how much $ to win titles and go to the big dance year after year?
get a life.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I'm pretty sure overthehill was being sarcastic.

75Zag
03-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Lots of logical statements above (and a few not-so-logical). I think some of you are either unaware or have forgotten that the new Oregon/Nike basketball arena is being built by Phil Knight as a monument to his deceased son. Although Phil's wealth is peanuts in comparison to the Microsoft co-founders, in these parts Phil can buy or sell anybody and anything. If Phil sets his sights on Few or anybody else as the perfect coach to lead Oregon in the arena dedicated to his dead son, I would not want to bet against Phil. Given Phil's wealth and connections, I could see the Pope coaching Oregon next year, or anybody else that Phil wants.

Hope Few stays, but the details of this situation are still murky.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

zagirl2k
03-10-2010, 07:44 PM
but if the day comes----do any of the other coaches have a clause like the one Billy G had??

I thought Leon Rice was next in line if Few were to leave- not that I think he is going anywhere

willandi
03-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Could Phil really get the Pope to leave the Vatican for Oregon??? Maybe for Notre Dame!!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

alaskazagnut
03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
That would be a mistake of epic proportions. PJ's day has come and gone. He should stick with broadcasting. I can hear the Ducks screaming "bring back Ernie" already.

They want an Ernie Kent clone. It would be hard to match his success in Oregon. Few probably won't be able to leave the Gonzaga element and have the same success. It is a big total team effort. Few is a big part but still only a part. He can't make Oregon be the Gonzaga that made him who he is. No more than Monson made Minnesota be the Gonzaga that made Dan who he was.

Make any sense?

dawgfather11
03-10-2010, 10:05 PM
I obviously don't know, but I highly, highly doubt that. I don't think Mark Few would do that. He's got it all at GU. It's a better place than Oregon.

I don't think few will take the UO job I think he enjoy's being a big fish in a small pond. That being said what UO brings to the table is vastly better than GU and that's just facts. UO will have a top of the line brand new basketball arena to go with their top of the line facilities work out area's and locker rooms that are just sick. Not to mention Uncle Phil who gives them whatever they need. Add to that with Nike basically owning you it makes it 10x easier for a good coach to recruit to there. As much as it pains me to say this, if UO gets a good coach they could have a killer program with what they have to offer there.

MEZAG
03-11-2010, 12:04 AM
I don't think few will take the UO job I think he enjoy's being a big fish in a small pond. That being said what UO brings to the table is vastly better than GU and that's just facts. UO will have a top of the line brand new basketball arena to go with their top of the line facilities work out area's and locker rooms that are just sick. Not to mention Uncle Phil who gives them whatever they need. Add to that with Nike basically owning you it makes it 10x easier for a good coach to recruit to there. As much as it pains me to say this, if UO gets a good coach they could have a killer program with what they have to offer there.

Milk a whaaaaaaat?

Zagpower
03-11-2010, 05:18 AM
Once again, Oregon can offer a lot of money and a shiny new facililty.
I don't believe that is that high up on Coach Few's want list at this moment.

They also have someone looking over your shoulder and second guessing your every move. This person is not even a member of the University, completely unaccountable to anyone else, and you are at the mercy of his mood swings. Sounds like a frigging Knightmare to me.

How many on here know Phil Knight? I don't, but I have heard enough about him and some of his reported habits that makes me think that someone like Coach may not want to work for him. Again, just speculating.

While some think that situation must be a dream come true to coaches, I would want no part of that. I believe that is why Oregon has not had good coaching for awhile and may have trouble attracting the type of names they think they can get.

Admittedly, I'll be wrong if they pull off a Jay Wright or Jamie Dixon hire.

Also, Coach Few does not "like being a big fish in a small pond". He shuns the spotlight unlike anyone in college hoops. My guess is he loves the basketball part of his job and absolutely hates the other stuff like media interviews, public appearances etc. I believe that is one of the reasons he not left for a bigger more visible job that requires media appearances.

McZag
03-11-2010, 06:26 AM
Please let this idea of Few going to Oregon die......

Few has his own monument built for him called the McCarthy Athletic Center

Few can't spend all the money he makes now.

Few does not want to be fired after 4 years because he can't win the Pac-10 or get the Ducks to the Sweet 16.

Few has out-recruited Oregon for the last five years. Going to Oregon will not allow him to recruit any better.

Few is on ESPN half the year. Going to Oregon will not improve his TV coverage, it will hinder it via FSN.

....Few has done the impossible at GU. This son of a preacher knows you don't fool with miracles.

GUinSTL
03-11-2010, 06:56 AM
I can't understand where the Jay Wright talk came from. He's got Philly roots. Those are his people! Oregon is not his style, and I don't see him bailing on 'Nova for the Pac-10.
This my perception based on having been at Villanova during his early years, and having followed the Wildcats, (my "other team") very closely since graduation.

Oh, and by all accounts, Few is a pretty happy camper at GU. Can't blame him!
~B

ZaginLaw
03-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Past experience shows that the Oregon Men's hoops position is a dead-end job. The position has never and will never be a career building position by any stretch of the imagination. The only "opportunity" the position provides a coach is to test out D1 coaching, end your D1 coaching career, and have a billionaire as a friend, in an overpriced and under filled stadium. Heck they couldn't even sell out the last home game at Mac Court.

Oregon's lot in the men's hoops is cast. It'll never be a UA or UCLA. Duckies are filling themselves with delusions of grandeur if they think a coach will be hired to take the "next level". Hasn't happened in the past and won't happen if the future.

That said. Carlesimo fits as the next Ducks coach. He will sell billboards in NYC, runs in the same circles as wealthy alumni, and has a recognizable name. All flash with a variety of interchangeable uniforms.

CDC84
03-11-2010, 07:46 AM
Why would Jamie Dixon want to go to a middle of the pack Pac 10 basketball program when his program has more double-figure Big East wins this past decade than any Big East team....a league where basketball is king. He's now starting to land McDonald's AA talent, Pitt's new arena is as good as any in college ball, he's established deep recruiting connections in NYC and New Jersey, etc. Arizona State already tried the "west coast" thing a few years ago with Dixon. It failed. He just used the job offer to get more $$$ out of Pitt.

As Bud Withers has pointed out, Oregon is mostly likely not going pay its new men's basketball coach more than football coach Chip Kelly. That's out of principle, because Oregon is a football school. Kelly is making under 2 mil per year. College basketball coaches like Dixon and Wright won't even pick up the phone for money like that. Neither will Few.

Angelo Roncalli
03-11-2010, 07:48 AM
The money available at Oregon to pay a new coach may be dwindling because of recent payouts to make bail for members of the football team...:)

Robzagnut
03-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Listened to Mitch in the Morning on the way to work this morning. During the 'Daily Snoz' a sports writer from Portland was asked about the Oregon job.

He said, "Fans want Mark Few, but Pbbbttt, he's not going anywhere. So, they're got their sights on Carlesimo."

sittingon50
03-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Why not Lennie Wilkins?

CDC84
03-11-2010, 10:59 AM
The problem with a guy like PJ is if he is hired, Oregon fans better be patient. No matter how famous the name may be, coaches who have never been in the college game, or who have been out of it for a long time, need to build (or rebuild) recruiting connections. That takes some time. A guy like PJ is probably going to need a current college assistant with first rate recruiting skills. That assistant is going to be asking for some serious money.

lothar98zag
03-11-2010, 01:02 PM
I really want the Ducks to win the P10 tourney, just cuz. Would they fire him between tourneys? How many NCAA games could he win and still get fired?

lothar98zag
03-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Greg Doyel of CBS with something a little out of the box on Twitter earlier today:

If I'm Oregon, I make a call to Jay Bilas. About becoming my coach. Doubt he'd say yes .... but I'd try. about 4 hours ago (http://twitter.com/greggdoyelcbs/status/10585832011)

omahazag
03-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Not surprsing, few is #1 on the list. I still think Turgeon is the guy they should go after. Not listed is Steve Lavin who i think would jump start the program and recruit with the best of them.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2010/03/oregon_basketball_the_ducks_ne.html

bartruff1
03-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Lots of logical statements above (and a few not-so-logical). I think some of you are either unaware or have forgotten that the new Oregon/Nike basketball arena is being built by Phil Knight as a monument to his deceased son. Although Phil's wealth is peanuts in comparison to the Microsoft co-founders, in these parts Phil can buy or sell anybody and anything. If Phil sets his sights on Few or anybody else as the perfect coach to lead Oregon in the arena dedicated to his dead son, I would not want to bet against Phil. Given Phil's wealth and connections, I could see the Pope coaching Oregon next year, or anybody else that Phil wants.

Hope Few stays, but the details of this situation are still murky.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger! I suspect he will get a offer that will be very difficult to refuse....it is the perfect situation for him both personally and professionally...if it is true that he has a "out" for just that school then I would have to believe it is there for that reason... I also suspect that Gonzaga would hire a sucessful and experienced head coach....Ray would be my choice but I understand he has applied at Hawaii...this is going to be interesting...or not !...ps...the Pope may be looking for a job.

cbbfanatic
03-16-2010, 07:08 PM
I can't understand where the Jay Wright talk came from. He's got Philly roots. Those are his people! Oregon is not his style, and I don't see him bailing on 'Nova for the Pac-10.
This my perception based on having been at Villanova during his early years, and having followed the Wildcats, (my "other team") very closely since graduation.

Oh, and by all accounts, Few is a pretty happy camper at GU. Can't blame him!
~B

Wright isnt leaving for Oregon. He has already turned down Kentucky twice, and like he has said many times, Villanova is his dream job. Grew up in the area, wanted to play there (wasnt good enough - played at bucknell), was an assistant under Massimino, married a Nova cheerleader, and is a philly guy through and through. i can only see him leaving for the sixers, if that franchise ever gets their act together, or to a place like Duke if the Big East eventually splits and he loses his ability to compete for championships at Villanova.

on the Few thing, to the original rumor, it would not surprise me that much to see Few go to Oregon for a huge contract. Despite their arrogance and obnoxiousness about it, i think they probably could buy him if they really went all out after it and opened up the bank. that being said, i think this rumor is absolutely crazy, because i do not think that Mark Few would ever lay out an ultimatum like that while his team is still playing. i think he will listen if contacted seriously, but not yet. and hopefully not even this weekend or next week.

the outcome COULD happen, but this rumor HAS to be a load of crap.

cbbfanatic
03-16-2010, 07:09 PM
also, as much as i absolutely love jay bilas as a broadcaster - i think he is the absolute best at looking at the issues without bias, emotion or prejudice, i would really like to see him get a crack at coaching.

i think he could be a good one.

couldnt see it at oregon though, i get the feeling oregon might not be a good fit from a personality (read: integrity) standpoint. whoever takes the oregon job is stepping right into the whole worldwide wes world or recruiting.