PDA

View Full Version : How Much Of An Impact Losing Manny Will Have

BRAY88
03-09-2010, 06:11 PM
I think losing manny is huge for this zags team, he is a star in the making and a fan favorite already and his rebounding and overall energy will be sorely missed

B Wayne
03-09-2010, 08:39 PM
I liked this years team from the beginning when I saw our new players diving for the ball, rather than bending at the knees to pick it up. We didn't see that effort last year.

I believe losing 6th man Manny turns a very good Gonzaga team into just a good team. His energy, rebounding and defense coming off the bench was the tipping point that made Gonzaga a very good team.

I was excited about the NCAA tournament until his injury. Sad.

MickMick
03-09-2010, 08:43 PM
The slim chance of a run went bye bye. Perhaps the Zags might win a game or two, but put those bigger dreams away now.

People not familiar with the Zags don't understand this. Arop was the difference maker. Now that the guards are beat up, he will be more missed than ever.

When Bouldin and Gray are getting mauled, Arop was the calvary coming over the hill and to the recuse. No more.

alaskazagnut
03-09-2010, 09:11 PM
but we have to work it out. At this point if we lose anyone off the bench, we take a major hit because of the inconsistency of our starters. Few needs the options and now he has one less option. He was our 6-7th man too, right along with Kelly.

If the Zags what to win a single game in the tourney, they need to be so hot and on fire that we can boil eggs on their heads.

Few needs to take charge and show that emotion. It is contagious and priceless.

Rage Mark, Rage.

Here is my Zag version of Dylan Thomas

Zags, do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and make you want to fight;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know the first round is right,
Because their words had no effect on St Marys, they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, in Bouldins last game , crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced on Tournament night,

Wild men who caught and sang Zombie Nation in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved the Lion's and Gael's bite,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors to the Elite Eight,

And you, my Coach Few, there on brave height,
Charge to the Final Four with your fierce tears, I pray.

A National Championship is in sight!!
Rage, Zags of all sounds, feeling and sight,
Rage against the dying of the light.

jim77
03-10-2010, 02:12 AM
Obviously the guy plays HARD. But, we can win and go deep without him...as long as the others play with their hair on fire. BOL KONG is athletic enough to pick up some of that slack up...the rest of the team need to elevate their game also. I'm more worried about Matt and Steven right now. I will say that RS left hand move was pretty darn sweet...and we will really need BIG ROB to step up. I hope Big Will has pitched a tent on the freethrow line during the break and swimming and conditioning also.....our advancing may very well come down to BIG Will's ability to step up his game ala Memphis...this team ain't through just yet.

cjm720
03-10-2010, 09:22 AM
It's big, but can be muted by the play of Bol and KO. If they step up (and the starters play to potential) then we can be okay IMO. I just hope this isn't a lingering injury...

ZagLawGrad
03-10-2010, 09:40 AM
The slim chance of a run went bye bye. Perhaps the Zags might win a game or two, but put those bigger dreams away now.

People not familiar with the Zags don't understand this. Arop was the difference maker. Now that the guards are beat up, he will be more missed than ever.

When Bouldin and Gray are getting mauled, Arop was the calvary coming over the hill and to the recuse. No more.

No disrespect intended MM, but that's a bunch of poppycock.

The notion that a freshman who has limited playing time and experience will make the difference for a deep run towards the National Championship is mind boggling. The guy is not a John Wall---a freshman who would make that kind of difference if he wasn't able to play for his team.

The Zags have all the talent they need for a deep run. The question is how bad do they want it, and whether any injury will stop the veterans from playing to the best of their abilities. MB and SG being less than 90% would be a reason for there not to be a deep run, but not missing Arop.

americasteam
03-10-2010, 09:46 AM
I agree with ZagLawGrad...... super disappointed to see Manny gone, but it really will be whether Matt, Elias, and Rob can take it up a couple of notches (and Steven keep doing what he's doing), that will be the difference. Then send in Kelly, Bol, Will to bring in the extra.

BobZag
03-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Energy, rebounding and some offense.

His future is bright.

NotoriousZ
03-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by MickMick

No disrespect intended MM, but that's a bunch of poppycock.

The notion that a freshman who has limited playing time and experience will make the difference for a deep run towards the National Championship is mind boggling. The guy is not a John Wall---a freshman who would make that kind of difference if he wasn't able to play for his team.

The Zags have all the talent they need for a deep run. The question is how bad do they want it, and whether any injury will stop the veterans from playing to the best of their abilities. MB and SG being less than 90% would be a reason for there not to be a deep run, but not missing Arop.

No disrespect to you, ZagLawGrad, but just wait and see what Manny does for us next year and tell me then that he's not a difference maker. This year, he was the perfect sixth man to have--not one of our guys can bring his energy. I still think we can get to the Elite Eight with the right matchups as a 6 or 7 seed (I'm a diehard). Maybe we can go further, but we'll need Harris at his level from the @SMC game, and we'll need Bouldin to step out of his mini-funk, and we'll need everyone else to play their best when called upon.

ZagLawGrad
03-10-2010, 10:26 AM

No disrespect to you, ZagLawGrad, but just wait and see what Manny does for us next year and tell me then that he's not a difference maker. This year, he was the perfect sixth man to have--not one of our guys can bring his energy. I still think we can get to the Elite Eight with the right matchups as a 6 or 7 seed (I'm a diehard). Maybe we can go further, but we'll need Harris at his level from the @SMC game, and we'll need Bouldin to step out of his mini-funk, and we'll need everyone else to play their best when called upon.

Understood NZ about next year. I agree re: Bouldin and Harris need to be better than ever.

gamagin
03-10-2010, 10:32 AM

And why put so much on Manny ? We got all the way to the second-to-last game mostly without Manny. Suddenly he is the key ?

Well, in fact, he is not. He might be if he were healthy and played like we all saw him play for a few games. But he might not be, either. Meech became the star as we all know at a critical moment last year.

So surely someone else will get a chance (or several) to step up at just the right moments at the dance. It always works that way.

No one man can be selected before, during or after the season and declared with certainty to be THE key person we must have to make it further up the ladder.

However, since Manny broke his foot, I can say with certainty it will not be Manny and I'd like to have seen him get his chance if it arose.

But there will be another Zag ready, willing and able, to position himself & take the right shot at the most critical point in the game because the opportunity arose and the defense presented it.

And I am rooting for him to make it. I hope he has the confidence to go for it, the willingness to take the risk and the focus to follow through.

But if he doesn't, I'm not going to wail about what Manny would have done because not even Manny knows and never will. That's just the way it goes.