PDA

View Full Version : How to shake off the rust

BobZag
05-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Theo hasn't played organized, competitive basketball in a long time and it wouldn't be ideal if his very first game was for Gonzaga months and months from now, soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

To best shake off the rust and get back into game mode, I think it'd be greatly beneficial for Theo to play for Team Canada this summer in an international tournament.

He'd return to Gonzaga ready to go and fully able to contribute immediately, perhaps even vye for a starting spot, as opposed to being rusty and needing a month to catch up with his teammates.

Look for it to happen. The Canadian team could use a post like him.

jigga5
05-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Also theo is old for a frshamn. I think he is like 22 or 23!!!!!!

CDC84
05-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Born 1/1/1986

http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/davis_theo00.html

Nevtelen
05-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Lack of organized games has got to be Theo's biggest issue - that would be great if something like that could happen. I remember how it was somewhat awkward for Josh to get back into things after a long break. Hopefully Theo gets the lead out and kicks some butt.

UberZagFan
05-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Also theo is old for a frshamn. I think he is like 22 or 23!!!!!!

As CDC points out, he's 21. But the point is well taken; this might be just the oldest, least experienced team GU has put out on the court during the past 20 years.

Angelo Roncalli
05-01-2007, 03:34 PM
One possibility for Theo might be to compete for Canada in the World University Games, which begin on August 8th in Bangkok, Thailand.

BobZag
05-01-2007, 04:44 PM
August is a perfect month, as well. Things get serious in September, and of course practice begins in October. A nice transition. No time for the rust to build up again.

Rubbadub
05-02-2007, 05:59 AM
:link:

There won't be a link to it. Don't get worried. :)

This guy is a one man Theo Davis wrecking crew.

youreachiteach
05-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Go look up Toronto summer basketball league a few yrs back.

Angelo Roncalli
05-02-2007, 09:36 AM
The World University Games are in Bangkok, not Toronto.

GonzagaGurl08
05-02-2007, 10:08 AM
It would be good for Theo to get some organized basketball playing under his belt. Hopefully he'll participate in helping to coach summer camps, as well as playing in the summer pick-up games. Every little bit will help.

brasszag
05-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Go look up Toronto summer basketball league a few yrs back.

I'm lazy - and since you clearly know where it is...

Rubbadub
05-02-2007, 11:55 AM
google searching "toronto summer basketball league" doesnt bring up any results.

Rubbadub
05-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Lets see, I did a comprehensive Theo Davis search. Based out of Toronto, he played for the "grass roots canada" aau team and was considered the top canadian prospect in his age range. In 2002 at around 16 he moved to the states and eventually started going to school at Cardozo in NY (he apparently jumped around to a few schools, trying to fit in, over a year or so before landing at Cardozo) and he was playing for the "bounce nyc" aau team (found a very short story on them beating joakim noah's team by 12 with Theo scoring the last 9 points). He was being recruited by UConn, Duke, Florida, Kansas, North Carolina, Memphis, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Texas, UCLA, Virginia and Villanova. At one point he was the number 2 center in his class. (given he wasn't able to attain elligability in 2005. The sources are usually mute on the circumstances around that) There is absolutely nothing about him being...what...banned from Toronto? lol :D

brasszag
05-02-2007, 12:30 PM
c'mon YRIT - linky linky linky

LINK

LINK

ligação do Web?

OH WAIT! There isn't one!

Rubbadub
05-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Another thing, based on the results of just a few games found in this: http://www.nycnjhoops.com/teamsaau2004.htm

He's more of a very athletic, bouncy, shot blocker and rebounder than a dominant scorer. Just an fyi.

brasszag
05-03-2007, 04:42 AM
Anyone who wants to know the real deal can PM me.

Publicaly available links or it's just unsubstantiated (and unsubstantiatable) hearsay and a waste of pixels.

Rubbadub
05-03-2007, 06:22 AM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

It's not even hearsay. It's deliberate sabotage.

zaguarxj
05-03-2007, 08:58 AM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

It's not even hearsay. It's deliberate sabotage.

Did you PM to get the big scoop?

BobZag
05-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Theo hasn't played organized, competitive basketball in a long time and it wouldn't be ideal if his very first game was for Gonzaga months and months from now, soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

To best shake off the rust and get back into game mode, I think it'd be greatly beneficial for Theo to play for Team Canada this summer in an international tournament.

He'd return to Gonzaga ready to go and fully able to contribute immediately, perhaps even vye for a starting spot, as opposed to being rusty and needing a month to catch up with his teammates.

Look for it to happen. The Canadian team could use a post like him.

How does this thread breed tearing Theo down via someone's "knowledge?"

Rubbadub
05-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Did you PM to get the big scoop?

No, and quite frankly he has nothing or he would have posted it. Everything this guy ever says about TD is bs. If you look at YRIT's illustrious post history, at least 15 or 20 of them are bs attempts to sabotage Theo's credibility with the fans. He has made things up more than once including once saying he knew Theo for many years. (and then proceeded to rip into him) The guy is a joke and he usually disappears after you call him out.

sonicfan84
05-03-2007, 11:49 AM
From what I understand, You Reach I Teach is heavily involved in the Canadian Prep basketball scene which includes coaching PMAC and knowing Theo Davis and his crew when Theo was a youth. He might have an agenda but his questions about Davis might be worth at least keeping in the back of the mind.

brasszag
05-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Right now he keeps saying he's got inside info - but there's never anything specific or corroborating to back up his vague statements.

If he could back it up with articles and external links, fine.

If not, it's wasted bandwidth.

IMO of course. Your mileage may vary.

Rubbadub
05-03-2007, 12:13 PM
From what you understand? As in, just based on what he says sometimes? Or from some other source?

LynetteG
05-03-2007, 01:10 PM
anyone notice the word under his username now?

You Reach I Teach
Banned

brasszag
05-03-2007, 01:22 PM
anyone notice the word under his username now?

You Reach I Teach
Banned

Good.

tyra
05-03-2007, 02:23 PM
See your quote: "He's more of a very athletic, bouncy, shot blocker and rebounder than a dominant scorer."

IMO, this is EXACTLY what we need out of Theo next year. Gawd, I'm jazzed.

USF
05-03-2007, 02:54 PM
As a guest on someone else's board, I understand that you need to be more careful about what you say. And you need to follow the rules. I have not posted too much, because it seems that I have been challenged or nitpicked on a lot of what I have said.

I have read this board for the last few months and it seems to me that the number of participants has shrunk. I have a feeling others have been banned with no announcement. You Reach I Teach (what does that mean?) was apparently nixed for alluding to a player's past without providing a link. I guess that's ok, but at what point is the "failure to link" just a pretext to get rid of someone whose opinion you don't like?

And rather than ban someone for what they say, why not just give the posters here a chance to hammer away on the guy? It seems like that would make a better read.

I understand the argument that a lot of boards are totally out of control. Has anyone read the UCLA board? But at least they are somewhat entertaining. And I doubt that anything is taken THAT seriously. The Fresno State board is often open warfare.

Can't there be a board (not this one necessarily) that has some fun idle speculation/ harmless rumor? Or does every post need to be supported by documented facts? And what if the link is to an article whose facts are suspect?

Personally, I'm afraid to say anything about any Gonzaga player. Because it is fun to post once in a while.

AMDG

BobZag
05-03-2007, 03:06 PM
As a guest on someone else's board, I understand that you need to be more careful about what you say. And you need to follow the rules. I have not posted too much, because it seems that I have been challenged or nitpicked on a lot of what I have said.

I have read this board for the last few months and it seems to me that the number of participants has shrunk. I have a feeling others have been banned with no announcement. You Reach I Teach (what does that mean?) was apparently nixed for alluding to a player's past without providing a link. I guess that's ok, but at what point is the "failure to link" just a pretext to get rid of someone whose opinion you don't like?

And rather than ban someone for what they say, why not just give the posters here a chance to hammer away on the guy? It seems like that would make a better read.

I understand the argument that a lot of boards are totally out of control. Has anyone read the UCLA board? But at least they are somewhat entertaining. And I doubt that anything is taken THAT seriously. The Fresno State board is often open warfare.

Can't there be a board (not this one necessarily) that has some fun idle speculation/ harmless rumor? Or does every post need to be supported by documented facts? And what if the link is to an article whose facts are suspect?

Personally, I'm afraid to say anything about any Gonzaga player. Because it is fun to post once in a while.

AMDG

The more humor the better. Ripping on kids (first Pargo, then Bouldin, now Theo), especially in a personal manner, not so much.

Don't be afraid. But we are WCC rivals, so expect some nitpicking. ;) I'd guess it's the same on other WCC boards.

zaguarxj
05-03-2007, 04:04 PM
USF - I think the big difference is whether you are criticizing a player's basketball performance or even on-court/bench behavior, or you are engaging in serial character assassination based on rumor and innuendo.

Angelo Roncalli
05-03-2007, 04:12 PM
We've banned hundreds of members and deleted hundreds of posts in the past month, but it should be noted that 99.99% of them have been spammers. The reason for the downturn in discussion/topics/posts isn't because we're hacking the member list (it's not in our interest to do so) or that we're deleting posts. It's simple because it's not basketball season anymore and there's less interest in general. If you look at the Forum statistics at the bottom of the home page, there are 1246 active members, which shows that membership is growing, not declining. There's also a new member, who by his screen name, is probably a spammer. Look for him/her to be banned shortly.

Any comment on USF's abysmal APR stats? If it wasn't for the grace extended by the NCAA to USF because of the small statistical base, there'd be a loss of at least one and maybe two scholarships. That grace period goes away next year...

Nevtelen
05-03-2007, 05:34 PM
I personally love this board, USF, but if you want a more "no-holds-barred" environment, go to the old GUnation site, where it's more or less a free-for-all for anyone that's interested. Still, like the Mod's just said, as long as you don't randomly personally attack players for no reason with no support, you'll be fine.

As for Theo, I like that he's an athletic shot-blocker type, but I hope he has some decent offense, too - we don't necessarily need another Batista down there, but having more of a scoring punch than Kuso could provide would be nice. I was really encouraged by BZ's report on him the other day. Hope he's bulking up and that if he plays on the Canadian squad, he works on his inside scoring and the timing on his blocks. It'd be kinda nice to intersperse him with Kuso, so that no matter if there's foul trouble coming down the pike, we know we still have a really athletic presence inside.

DrDrivel
05-03-2007, 06:50 PM
My personal view is that these boards are specifically for the trade of ideas and that they're absolutely boring without serious argument now and then. That said, I do understand the rules and I trrrryyyy to follow them to the extent that I can. I have contributed to certain threads and had particular posts deleted for content not specifically adhering to the use policies and I understand why. There's just no need or place for harmful speculation about the personal lives of kids who want nothing more than to play basketball and get an education.

former1dog
05-03-2007, 07:46 PM
There's just no need or place for harmful speculation about the personal lives of kids who want nothing more than to play basketball and get an education.

Thanks Dr. Drivel.

Well said.

USF
05-03-2007, 10:55 PM
"If it wasn't for the grace extended by the NCAA to USF because of the small statistical base, there'd be a loss of at least one and maybe two scholarships. That grace period goes away next year.."

How to lie with statistics? All I know is USF has some very good students on
the bball team. We did not accept certain students athletes that other WCC schools have. And we would not have recruited Theo Davis. So I think I would be careful in impling that USF has academic troubles with its team.

Nevtelen
05-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Check out the stats for yourself (http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/apr2006/629_2006_apr.pdf). If the APR is below 925, some punishment is going to come down the pike. USF's 895 is not looking pretty... I'm sure you guys do have some good students on the team. But apparently you have some bad ones, too. Or at least guys that don't finish their classes.

brasszag
05-04-2007, 04:50 AM
How to lie with statistics? All I know is USF has some very good students on
the bball team. We did not accept certain students athletes that other WCC schools have. And we would not have recruited Theo Davis. So I think I would be careful in impling that USF has academic troubles with its team.

Regardless of how valid one feels the statistic is, it IS the metric by which academic goals are counted. So asking what is being done to get it above the goal isn't very out of line I think.

I'd also think that it puts the coach in a very uncomfortable position, can you imagine losing two scholarships? Do you not re-extend to two returning players? Do you un-extend offers to incoming frosh? Either way you're forced to work from a bad-faith perspective... and you end up punishing the good performers for the bad ones.

The only "safe" path I guess is to not re-extend to the worst of the academic achievers as a sort of punishment for losing their own scholarship. And hope and pray none of your best players are not the two worst academically.