PDA

View Full Version : How I Learned to Stop Worring About the National Championship and Love The Zags

PeninsulaDog
03-09-2010, 03:04 PM
As is almost always the case on this board after a rough loss, there is a great deal of anger, frustration and disappointment. Understandable. Last night was rough, no doubt about it, but today is better. In fact, for the past four years I have been able to better cope with these losses than I used to. Living in the Bay Area, I’m daily subjected to all manner of psychobabble and New Age thinking: After all, this is land of the healing crystal, eclectic metaphysics, aroma therapy, druidism, wicca, the goddess Gaia, the goddess rosary, animal liberation, deep ecology, futurism, and transhumanism all set to the soundtrack of Enya and whale songs. You name the “ism”, philosophy or movement, and we’ve got it. Most of it makes me want to barf for distance. On the other hand, it’s sometimes possible to find a pearl of wisdom in a cultural dung heap, (speaking of movements) and in this case the hackneyed Zen proverb, “The Journey Is the Reward” comes to mind.

After the debacle in Oakland against UCLA in 2006 I, like most blue-bleeding Zag fans, was devastated. No need to recount in great detail how awful it was, but I remember standing there in the Oakland Arena feeling some combo of shock and grief. It affected me for days, even weeks. Call it low-grade PTSD, or whatever, but I was affected by that loss. As the fog began to lift, I started to ask myself why I had felt that way. Why did I care? On the face of it, it seemed like an easy enough question to answer. I cared because I love Gonzaga. I’m emotionally invested in the place. When a highly visible symbol of GU falters (in this case the basketball team) it mattered to me. But why did I let a loss, like the one to UCLA, affect me so much? How could I get past the point where a bad result in a basketball game would bother me so much? That was a tougher question to answer, and I spent a lot of time thinking about it. I realized that there was no rational basis for my reaction to that loss. I was being swayed by my emotions, and not by logic. In short, my expectations were out of whack. Honestly, what were the Zags’ chances of winning Tournament that year – even if they had beaten UCLA and Memphis that weekend? Odds were not great. And therein lay the answer to my question: If I accept the fact that, in any given year, the Zags’ chances of winning a national championship are, honestly, really not very good the whole experience immediately becomes more enjoyable for me. (15-1, 10-1 or even 8-1 odds are, objectively, not very good.) Year after year, it is simply a fact that there are at least five, and sometimes as many as ten to fifteen, other programs that are head-and-shoulders better than Gonzaga. Of course, sometimes magic happens like it did in 1999. The stars can align and you might get favorable matchups in the early rounds, (Minnesota & Stanford) and you might get all the lucky bounces late, in a close game (Florida). But despite the occasional magic and some valiant efforts, odds usually prevail as they did in that ‘99 Connecticut game. I had tricked myself into believing the Zags had a legitimate shot of winning it all in 2006 and when the dream was cut short by UCLA, I was devastated. That was pure emotion at work, but I can’t bear all the blame myself. At the risk of invoking a little psychobabble myself, I was enabled by others in my delusion: The media often contributes to the problem through loose talk of things like the Final Four. Even the Zags themselves might contribute to the outsized expectations. Solid early season performances against power conference teams can be misleading. Often those power conference teams are loaded with underclassmen that are superior to the Zags athletically, but might lack discipline and experience early in the season. Where those teams might be vulnerable in December they might be substantially improved as March rolls around. (jazzdelmar was right on the money on this point in an earlier post.)

So what does it all mean? Well, I suppose it gets back to that fortune-cookie stuffer, “The Journey Is the Reward”. Ever since 2006, I have tried to abide by that philosophy with respect to Gonzaga basketball. I accept the reality that the Zags aren’t likely to win the national championship, and the experience of GU basketball becomes instantly more enjoyable. By and large the Zags perform brilliantly, stumbling only rarely, and they give us reason to be proud and interested each and every season. Results like last night are tough to accept, but in the big picture they are only small speed bumps in what has been a 10+ year joyride. I’m not at all advocating embracing low expectations. Aiming high is the reason this program succeeds. I’m advocating accepting reality, that’s all. Someday, maybe that reality will change – maybe the odds will indeed favor the Zags to win it all, and that would be fantastic. Until then, I’ll just enjoy the ride. Now I have to go to my Tarot reading.

Ezag
03-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Well said....however, losing to Samhan still sucks even in a 10-year joyride!

lothar98zag
03-09-2010, 03:44 PM
You really need to post more PDog. Good read.

rawkmandale
03-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Great read, especially this part:

"Living in the Bay Area, I’m daily subjected to all manner of psychobabble and New Age thinking: After all, this is land of the healing crystal, eclectic metaphysics, aroma therapy, druidism, wicca, the goddess Gaia, the goddess rosary, animal liberation, deep ecology, futurism, and transhumanism all set to the soundtrack of Enya and whale songs. You name the “ism”, philosophy or movement, and we’ve got it. Most of it makes me want to barf for distance."

I concur regarding keeping things in proper balance. My brother called from Walnut Creek today (mighty close to Moraga, though he doesn't have an association with St. Mary's) and asked if the anti-depressants had kicked in yet.

I replied that I'm not depressed at all - both teams fought hard, and St. Mary's had more to gain. We won two out of three from them. We play well after losses. I think the timing of this was great.

Anyway, I appreciate your comments on how great it is to have this fine program to root for every year, and a Final Four would just be gravy on the slow-cooked ### roast and yummy mashed potatoes.

Also, I note there is very little talk today about the Zags not really being a quality team on the national sports shows/media. They all seem to know we're just fine - not world-beaters, but just fine.

rawkmandale
03-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Oh, I forgot: p o t roast

Sheesh

Stache
03-09-2010, 05:42 PM
If we are beyond expectation in early season and below expectation at the end, then what is the real (realistic) expectation?

If we aren't really contenders for final four and we should strive during the journey to reach our fullest potential, then what is our goal (see question #1)?

If we think more of ourselves than we should based on some inherent weakness, should we hear Samhan when he falls in the first round?

Ok, I only care about question #3.

75Zag
03-09-2010, 06:03 PM
I too am a veteran of the Oakland 2006 disaster. The bus ride from the Oakland Arena back to the country club where the GU Alumni had their pre-game function was the worst 30 minutes of my life. I have to believe that a guy walking down death row in Texas toward the death chamber feels more positive about life than I did on that bus.

My view on all of this is that whatever happens is ok with me as long as GU's team and coaches and administration act with honesty and dignity. I like that about the program. So far, so good.

I do get somewhat crazy in the head when some of the most regular and (reportedly) most knowledgeable posters announce that "this year" (pick which one), GU is "likely" to be a Final Four team. After a few decades of watching NCAA ball, I can't predict who will be in the last four teams, and I especially can't imagine how anybody could pick a WCC team as LIKELY to be in the final four. Miracles do happen, but to me LIKELY = more probable than not (50% + 1), and I don't expect to see the day when GU is LIKELY to be in the last four teams.

Back to my regular programming, which unfortunately is inside my head.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

RenoZag
03-09-2010, 07:37 PM
I accept the reality that the Zags aren’t likely to win the national championship, and the experience of GU basketball becomes instantly more enjoyable. By and large the Zags perform brilliantly, stumbling only rarely, and they give us reason to be proud and interested each and every season.

:agreed:

Zagguy
03-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks 75. I'm beginning to think there should be some type of tag on our log in names that tell everyone whether we are grads of GU pre-2000, grad of GU period, or simply fans of the program. Those of us who are GU pre-2000 (I'm a 75, too) relish in the journey, and can't believe how far it has taken us.

Was at the tourney and saw first hand how beaten up our guys are (and what a flipping idiot Samhan is - but that's for another post). I left Las Vegas this morning a very proud Zag. The bus ride in Oakland was the worst. This was nothing but one more mile on the road to better things.

23dpg
03-09-2010, 07:57 PM
http://www.movingimagesource.us/images/articles/dr_strangelove_1ed07_2-20090424-173359-medium.jpg

ID ZAGFAN
03-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks 75. I'm beginning to think there should be some type of tag on our log in names that tell everyone whether we are grads of GU pre-2000, grad of GU period, or simply fans of the program. Those of us who are GU pre-2000 (I'm a 75, too) relish in the journey, and can't believe how far it has taken us.

Was at the tourney and saw first hand how beaten up our guys are (and what a flipping idiot Samhan is - but that's for another post). I left Las Vegas this morning a very proud Zag. The bus ride in Oakland was the worst. This was nothing but one more mile on the road to better things.

I am "just a fan", and have been since the late 1990's. And I love the journey--even the roller coaster parts! Every year is a new journey and we never know where it will take us--certainly this year it has taken us places we had no expectation of going.

One of my mottoes (comes from my many trips to Alaska via highways and ferries)--it's the journey, not the destination. I definitely feel that way about the Zags!

Thanks, guys, for a wonderful journey so far. Hoping for a great rest of the journey this year.

ID ZAGFAN

ID ZAGFAN

Granda Zag
03-09-2010, 08:26 PM
I can identify with the San Francisco statements, having attended Santa Clara for two and a half years. I got my Masters from GU but that is not the point.

After last years tournament dismissal by NC it became clear to me that we are not an eliet program and after emerging from a couple of days of depression I realized that it was not only OK it was good.

I do not want to be an eliet program with a lot of one and gones. I want us to be a good University with STUDENTS that are talented but see the world and their life as more than basketball and not an NBA farm team.

I loved the dialogue on this blog over Steven Gray earlier this year.

The fact that we are consistently in the top 15 basketball schools in the nation is amazing.

I love it. May it continue and Go Zags - give it all you have.

siliconzag
03-09-2010, 11:54 PM
As is almost always the case on this board after a rough loss, there is a great deal of anger, frustration and disappointment. Understandable. Last night was rough, no doubt about it, but today is better. In fact, for the past four years I have been able to better cope with these losses than I used to. Living in the Bay Area, I’m daily subjected to all manner of psychobabble and New Age thinking: After all, this is land of the healing crystal, eclectic metaphysics, aroma therapy, druidism, wicca, the goddess Gaia, the goddess rosary, animal liberation, deep ecology, futurism, and transhumanism all set to the soundtrack of Enya and whale songs. You name the “ism”, philosophy or movement, and we’ve got it. Most of it makes me want to barf for distance. On the other hand, it’s sometimes possible to find a pearl of wisdom in a cultural dung heap, (speaking of movements) and in this case the hackneyed Zen proverb, “The Journey Is the Reward” comes to mind.

After the debacle in Oakland against UCLA in 2006 I, like most blue-bleeding Zag fans, was devastated. No need to recount in great detail how awful it was, but I remember standing there in the Oakland Arena feeling some combo of shock and grief. It affected me for days, even weeks. Call it low-grade PTSD, or whatever, but I was affected by that loss. As the fog began to lift, I started to ask myself why I had felt that way. Why did I care? On the face of it, it seemed like an easy enough question to answer. I cared because I love Gonzaga. I’m emotionally invested in the place. When a highly visible symbol of GU falters (in this case the basketball team) it mattered to me. But why did I let a loss, like the one to UCLA, affect me so much? How could I get past the point where a bad result in a basketball game would bother me so much? That was a tougher question to answer, and I spent a lot of time thinking about it. I realized that there was no rational basis for my reaction to that loss. I was being swayed by my emotions, and not by logic. In short, my expectations were out of whack. Honestly, what were the Zags’ chances of winning Tournament that year – even if they had beaten UCLA and Memphis that weekend? Odds were not great. And therein lay the answer to my question: If I accept the fact that, in any given year, the Zags’ chances of winning a national championship are, honestly, really not very good the whole experience immediately becomes more enjoyable for me. (15-1, 10-1 or even 8-1 odds are, objectively, not very good.) Year after year, it is simply a fact that there are at least five, and sometimes as many as ten to fifteen, other programs that are head-and-shoulders better than Gonzaga. Of course, sometimes magic happens like it did in 1999. The stars can align and you might get favorable matchups in the early rounds, (Minnesota & Stanford) and you might get all the lucky bounces late, in a close game (Florida). But despite the occasional magic and some valiant efforts, odds usually prevail as they did in that ‘99 Connecticut game. I had tricked myself into believing the Zags had a legitimate shot of winning it all in 2006 and when the dream was cut short by UCLA, I was devastated. That was pure emotion at work, but I can’t bear all the blame myself. At the risk of invoking a little psychobabble myself, I was enabled by others in my delusion: The media often contributes to the problem through loose talk of things like the Final Four. Even the Zags themselves might contribute to the outsized expectations. Solid early season performances against power conference teams can be misleading. Often those power conference teams are loaded with underclassmen that are superior to the Zags athletically, but might lack discipline and experience early in the season. Where those teams might be vulnerable in December they might be substantially improved as March rolls around. (jazzdelmar was right on the money on this point in an earlier post.)

So what does it all mean? Well, I suppose it gets back to that fortune-cookie stuffer, “The Journey Is the Reward”. Ever since 2006, I have tried to abide by that philosophy with respect to Gonzaga basketball. I accept the reality that the Zags aren’t likely to win the national championship, and the experience of GU basketball becomes instantly more enjoyable. By and large the Zags perform brilliantly, stumbling only rarely, and they give us reason to be proud and interested each and every season. Results like last night are tough to accept, but in the big picture they are only small speed bumps in what has been a 10+ year joyride. I’m not at all advocating embracing low expectations. Aiming high is the reason this program succeeds. I’m advocating accepting reality, that’s all. Someday, maybe that reality will change – maybe the odds will indeed favor the Zags to win it all, and that would be fantastic. Until then, I’ll just enjoy the ride. Now I have to go to my Tarot reading.

As usual, PeninsulaDog, you've written another masterpiece, rivaling your brief pastoral description of your journey down I-280 past the open field outside Palo Alto and the Equestriennes from Leland Stanford Junior University.

You have given us a coping mechanism not only for Zags, but for all of life's disappointments. Namely you have suggested that we wish for what we have, rather than what we haven't. In this way we can be grateful and go about our lives in a placid and untroubled mindset. You have provided us a Zen moment.

Nice work, PD. Still remember you with great fondness in the days when we were pleasantly surprised when we won or exceeded expectations. What I loved most about your enthusiasm for Gonzaga was not their athletic tradition, but about the spirit and fellowship of the University.

Let's leave perennial desire to dominate collegiate hoops to the UCLAs and the Dukes. You are right. Who wants to emulate their arrogant fans anyway?!

Sili

jim77
03-10-2010, 01:42 AM
Good post Pdog.

That was a painful moment and I'm not even an alum. I really flt bad for the players..especially Morrison. The conditions that he achieved what he achieved were incredible....and to be that close was just painful to watch. I have to say that the last game of every seaon is painful.....the journey is the treat.

I remember sitting on the end of the bench once after amy baseball game got rained out. Everybody was leaving and I just sat there and the coach asked me what was wrong? I told the coach that I came to play....and that I'd rather lose than not play at all.

PDOG: There is NO dominant team in bb this year...we got a shot:)

alaskazagnut
03-10-2010, 03:26 AM
I accept the reality that the Zags aren’t likely to win the national championship, and the experience of GU basketball becomes instantly more enjoyable. By and large the Zags perform brilliantly, stumbling only rarely, and they give us reason to be proud and interested each and every season. Results like last night are tough to accept, but in the big picture they are only small speed bumps in what has been a 10+ year joyride. I’m not at all advocating embracing low expectations. Aiming high is the reason this program succeeds. I’m advocating accepting reality, that’s all. Someday, maybe that reality will change – maybe the odds will indeed favor the Zags to win it all, and that would be fantastic. Until then, I’ll just enjoy the ride.

I enjoy every game and each new season more than any movie, TV show, or holiday. The Zags season and games are my greatest form of entertainment and holiday. I get 4 months of excitement that rivals any 3D Avatar or new Hobbit movie. Their games cause me to cancel engagements or make excuses to my boss so I can watch games. FOR ME, I will always enjoy, no matter how extaticly happy, or cryingly upset. Those emotions are the joy of being human and they are all why I love the Zags so much.

They are not just a team, they are MY alma mater. They are my school and gave me my education and degree and added close friends as part of my family. It is more than just a sport or game. It is now part of my life.

I will continue to hope and strive for a N.C. just as if I would hope and pray for the best for my family or my children. I care that my son and daughter could be the greatest in whatever they desire. If they so choose an occupation or dream then I will support them as well as help them and push them when they are struggling. If I see problems I will tell them, if they want me to butt out I will and do for a little bit. But they don't stay away very long. They take the good and the bad and the happy and the sad and the fact that I will love them unconditionally.

I can't just sit back and watch my Zags without emotion or input no more than I can sit back and watch my own children without emotion or input. To explore the possibilities and support the hopes and dreams of my family is why I am here. If my son wants a medical degree, I will help, support and remind him of his goals and how to reach them. If my daughter wants to be president I will help her plan the steps, support her efforts and guide her when she strays from that goal. I love the fact that I donate a percentage of my earnings back to the scholarship fund of Gonzaga every year. Some of those players are some small % part of my kids going to college. If my real kids want to go to GU (and they do) I will see to it they have the funds.

If my Zags want a National Championship, then I will do the same for them as I would do for any member of my family. I know they want an N.C. Not only do I know they want a N.C. but I know THEY DREAM OF IT too!! They have since elementary school. In the gym, counting down out loud "5"-"4"-"3"seconds to that last second shot "2-1" then running and chucking the ball up from half court and hearing that "SWISH" that wins it all and imagining being held on everyones shoulders with arms raised everyone loving you bacause you won it all!!! Who hasn't dreamed that dream.

I won't crush that dream till my kids decide to do something else. Then they'll dream something else. Maybe save someones life as a doctor or a cop or beloved respected teacher to other kids who will dream. I know that as long as they go to practice every day they still dream that dream. I f they ever resign to the fact that they probably won't win a N.C. that is when the dream dies. But I owe it to them to remind them of their dreams because life tends to lead us astray.

I won't lower my expectations of my children or believe that they can't achieve their dreams just to make it easier to handle it if their goals and dreams are not reached. I won't secretly plan for their failure just to make my life easy or "enjoyable". No one but me can kill my dream either.

We agree on many things especially "The journey is the Reward". We have different journeys. Everyone does. No ones journey is the same and never will be. In my blood family and my Zag family, I want the best, I hope for the best and I will help them reach their best. That realization makes it instantly more enjoyable AND MEANINGFUL to ME. I do not accept that they probably won't win a N.C. That is not MY reality. If they want a N.C., I will be there to help them achieve it. If they want me to butt out I will. But they don't. They want us fans. They want us to care and cheer and guide if we can. They want us to be there when those seconds tick down, and the horn sounds while that shot from halfcourt "swish"es to win it all. They want us to be the ones to storm the court and hold them on our shoulders when they win and live their dreams.

Thats just me though, my journey.

LongIslandZagFan
03-10-2010, 07:30 AM
I enjoy every game and each new season more than any movie, TV show, or holiday. The Zags season and games are my greatest form of entertainment and holiday. I get 4 months of excitement that rivals any 3D Avatar or new Hobbit movie. Their games cause me to cancel engagements or make excuses to my boss so I can watch games. FOR ME, I will always enjoy, no matter how extaticly happy, or cryingly upset. Those emotions are the joy of being human and they are all why I love the Zags so much.

They are not just a team, they are MY alma mater. They are my school and gave me my education and degree and added close friends as part of my family. It is more than just a sport or game. It is now part of my life.

I will continue to hope and strive for a N.C. just as if I would hope and pray for the best for my family or my children. I care that my son and daughter could be the greatest in whatever they desire. If they so choose an occupation or dream then I will support them as well as help them and push them when they are struggling. If I see problems I will tell them, if they want me to butt out I will and do for a little bit. But they don't stay away very long. They take the good and the bad and the happy and the sad and the fact that I will love them unconditionally.

I can't just sit back and watch my Zags without emotion or input no more than I can sit back and watch my own children without emotion or input. To explore the possibilities and support the hopes and dreams of my family is why I am here. If my son wants a medical degree, I will help, support and remind him of his goals and how to reach them. If my daughter wants to be president I will help her plan the steps, support her efforts and guide her when she strays from that goal. I love the fact that I donate a percentage of my earnings back to the scholarship fund of Gonzaga every year. Some of those players are some small % part of my kids going to college. If my real kids want to go to GU (and they do) I will see to it they have the funds.

If my Zags want a National Championship, then I will do the same for them as I would do for any member of my family. I know they want an N.C. Not only do I know they want a N.C. but I know THEY DREAM OF IT too!! They have since elementary school. In the gym, counting down out loud "5"-"4"-"3"seconds to that last second shot "2-1" then running and chucking the ball up from half court and hearing that "SWISH" that wins it all and imagining being held on everyones shoulders with arms raised everyone loving you bacause you won it all!!! Who hasn't dreamed that dream.

I won't crush that dream till my kids decide to do something else. Then they'll dream something else. Maybe save someones life as a doctor or a cop or beloved respected teacher to other kids who will dream. I know that as long as they go to practice every day they still dream that dream. I f they ever resign to the fact that they probably won't win a N.C. that is when the dream dies. But I owe it to them to remind them of their dreams because life tends to lead us astray.

I won't lower my expectations of my children or believe that they can't achieve their dreams just to make it easier to handle it if their goals and dreams are not reached. I won't secretly plan for their failure just to make my life easy or "enjoyable". No one but me can kill my dream either.

We agree on many things especially "The journey is the Reward". We have different journeys. Everyone does. No ones journey is the same and never will be. In my blood family and my Zag family, I want the best, I hope for the best and I will help them reach their best. That realization makes it instantly more enjoyable AND MEANINGFUL to ME. I do not accept that they probably won't win a N.C. That is not MY reality. If they want a N.C., I will be there to help them achieve it. If they want me to butt out I will. But they don't. They want us fans. They want us to care and cheer and guide if we can. They want us to be there when those seconds tick down, and the horn sounds while that shot from halfcourt "swish"es to win it all. They want us to be the ones to storm the court and hold them on our shoulders when they win and live their dreams.

We should fire Few and hire you!!! THAT is how we will win the NC.

cjm720
03-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Pdog - great post. You echo my long thought sentiments.

Go Zags!!!!

lothar98zag
03-10-2010, 12:16 PM
I enjoy...
thanks 4 sharing

alaskazagnut
03-10-2010, 02:36 PM
We should fire Few and hire you!!! THAT is how we will win the NC.

What does that have to do with anything Pdog said or what this thread is about. Did you read his great post? You just wrote a stupid two-liner that is based on you being bitter towards my past opinions and your inability or lack of integrity to counter them. If your goal is just to follow my posts and attack them with stupid remarks then bring it on! This is like the 5th time, stalker.

Why don't you explain how YOU tackle the mountain of hopes and expectations that we place on our Zags and how you cope when those expectations are dashed?

sonuvazag
03-10-2010, 02:53 PM
What does that have to do with anything Pdog said or what this thread is about. Did you read his great post? You just wrote a stupid two-liner that is based on you being bitter towards my past opinions and your inability or lack of integrity to counter them. If your goal is just to follow my posts and attack them with stupid remarks then bring it on! This is like the 5th time, stalker.

Why don't you explain how YOU tackle the mountain of hopes and expectations that we place on our Zags and how you cope when those expectations are dashed?

It's the mirror effect. How his posts irritate you must be what you are doing to him.

The national championship topic is burnt out. Best to conserve your energy if you want to keep that fire burning.

alaskazagnut
03-10-2010, 04:44 PM
but I bet not at all burnt out for our players or coaches.

I respect how pennisuladog copes with the crushing of his hopes after UCLA and how those hopes affected his enjoyment of future games. I understand it but I just don't subscribe to it for myself.

Our guys want it all, I know it. As soon as the staff and players stop wanting it is when our program will slide back to mediocrity. Maybe they are starting to believe like some fans here. that it is OK not to get a N.C. Obviously there will be some teams that never win it. It is an eternal battle of the have and have nots. But just because it hurts when we fans don't reach those expectations doesn't mean I will stop dreaming each now year that "This is our Year!". If a N.C. is burnt out then why go to the Dance? I'll tell you why, because everyone seriously wants one. But we ALL are so tired of having those really big expectations that now we are trying to convince ourselves (and others) not to expect it anymore. Especially after UCLA. Well, I am a Saints fan, and when the Championship finally happened it made it all the more sweet to think for all those years fairweather fans gave up. I never called them the "aints". They forever shed that stigma because they started to believe. Tried to be the best with the goal in mind, not the focus but always in mind.

All this talk is annoying to me. That is how I read all this "Why hope for a N.C. when we probably will never win one?" Silly and unbelievable. Its just as unbelievable to me as it is obviously unbelievable to everyone that I want to win it all each and every year. It doesn't make watching games more enjoyable for me to erase expectations, like I'm watching some TV sitcom just for the sake or random entertainment. Gonzaga is not just idle entertainment for me. Don't try and make me into you, just so you feel better about lowering your expectations.

To hear fans say "A National Championship topic is burnt out" sucks.

But since I am the only one, I will stop talking about it. No one else will step up and continue to expect and want the BEST. People here think I just obsess while I watch every game that we "MUST WIN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP". Like it ruins my day and my games and I scratch it in blood on my walls and burn effigies of Tar Heels and Bruins. Get real. I am ecstatic every game more so than for new Lord of the Rings or Matrix movies. I want our guys to remember why we play the game and be committed to it as the long term goal.

Thanks sonofazag for stating respectfully and objectively what LIZF can't.