PDA

View Full Version : Success despite failure.

ronh_pm
03-09-2010, 11:28 AM
I think if people were to be honest and think back to when the season began, the Zags have probably met or exceeded most reasonable peoples expectations to this point.

This season, with its huge influx of new bodies, it's quastion mark in the middle with Sacre coming off a red shirt, and the unknown team chemistry, presented a challange for the Bulldog fan.

Many had the team bouncing along, winning games they should, losing games they should and having a respectable season. Some felt they would win games they perhaps should not and lose some they should win while yet others felt the season was a complete rebuild.

The early to mid season out of conference success moved the goalposts for many however, and the preseason's expectations changed though the talent and experience level of the team did not. As the season rolled on losses became unforgivable and now with the loss in the tourney the season is almost a failure.

I would just ask, given what this team started with, is a 6-8 seed not almost an over acheivement? Please remember what you expected at the beginning of the year when grading the Zags this year.

alaskazagnut
03-09-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't like living in the past and thinking that past success entitles us to future success. I know you are not saying that exactly but all this "Look how successful we are against all odds" It is a great story to be sure and the heartbeat of my soul for the last 10 years.

But it is time to hold our program to a higher standard. Kindly, gently, yet surely and confidently. They are in a funk and they need to get out of it and move UP not DOWN. Nothing stays the same and they risk losing it all if they don't risk winning it all.

Thats just my opinion and everyone knows I want them to step up the intensity and motivation in all areas, coaches included.

DADoZAG
03-09-2010, 12:06 PM
...AZN, have a nice day. :)

Nice post Ron, I agree.

Go ZAGS!

Ezag
03-09-2010, 12:29 PM
I also agree Alaska! Maybe expectations were in check on day one, but after almost beating Michigan State and winning the Maui, our expectations soared. And understandability there have been stumbles along the way, but there seemed to be little improvement in some players from day one last November to last night's game. Losing your final game by 20 pts is not what you want to see at the end of your season

lothar98zag
03-09-2010, 12:37 PM
FWIW, at the beginning of the year I listed how I though GU was going to do in every regular season game. I guessed 12-2 & 24-6 and they went 12-2 & 25-5. I predicted a few Ws that were Ls & vise versa. I didn't predict the WCC tourney, but I probably would have went with 2-0. So even though they got there in a slightly unexpected way (for me) GU has met my expectations so far.