PDA

View Full Version : Lunardi Speaks

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Unfortunately I don't have the ESPN insider to see where he put the two WCC teams.

Anyone?

Radbooks
03-08-2010, 10:00 PM
He didn't seed them, he just changed it to show that St. Mary's was the auto qualifier and that GU was still a 'lock' for the tourney.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Well that's anti-climactic.

Heh, maybe he'll update the seedings tomorrow then.

alaskazagnut
03-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Step up and make the prediction!!

Th selection committee will change it up anyway. That way they can make it seem like we need their importance and expertise. They should just rank each of the 64, #1-#64. 64 seeds. That way we eliminate any shenanigans. Average the Polls, the RPI and KenPom or whatever. Fit them in and around all the automatic bids and play.

Not that that will or should happen but it sounds feasible and kinda more fair.

MDABE80
03-08-2010, 10:15 PM
"8"

lothar98zag
03-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Well that's anti-climactic.

Heh, maybe he'll update the seedings tomorrow then.
probably just a tech guy doing some of the dirty work while Joe sleeps...

zagfan08
03-08-2010, 10:34 PM
In his chat today Joe said he could see us anywhere in the 4-6 range, depending on the St. Mary's game. While I don't think he expected a 19 point loss, I expect we'll be a 6 seed in tomorrow's updated bracketology. Whether we are a 6 on Selection Sunday remains to be seen as the rest of the week plays out. But 26-6, winners of the Maui Invitational, good record away from home, and the willingness to schedule tough road games makes me think we have a good shot at a 6 seed.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-09-2010, 07:43 AM
I think we'll get a 7 and SMC will get an 11-12

VinnyZag
03-09-2010, 07:50 AM
It's updated now. 7 seed in OKC, Marquette then (if they win) maybe K-State.

75Zag
03-09-2010, 07:54 AM
A 7 could mean GU plays in Milwaukee, Buffalo or Oklahoma City. Milwaukee = Beer, Buffalo = Wings and Oklahoma City = BBQ (and those lying thieves who stole the Supersonics).

I'm still hoping for a 6 in San Jose.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

webspinnre
03-09-2010, 09:17 AM
specific seeds aren't tied to specific sites

lothar98zag
03-09-2010, 10:53 AM
specific seeds aren't tied to specific sites
correct.

alaskazagnut
03-09-2010, 11:08 AM
We are now in Oklahoma City as a #7 seed playing #10 Marquette.

St Marys is a 10 seed playing #7 Missouri in Milwaukee.

I pity The Tigers even more now.

I think we match up well with Marquette. St Marys will no tmatch up well with Memphis. Memphis is their second toughest team they have played all year. 2nd behind us.

dpouley
03-09-2010, 11:10 AM
We are now in Oklahoma City as a #7 seed playing #10 Marquette.

St Marys is a 10 seed playing #7 Missouri in Milwaukee.

I pity The Tigers even more now.

I think we match up well with Marquette. St Marys will no tmatch up well with Memphis. Memphis is their second toughest team they have played all year. 2nd behind us.

Marquette is one of the best three point shooting teams in America!!!:confused:

Saxon_zag
03-09-2010, 11:12 AM
If you want rage to boil inside of you go read some of the comment sections as far as zag articles go on espn.. Husky fans all over them like a fly on stink saying they don't even understand how the zags are a tourney lock and our only good win is against Wisconsin.

Personally I think a 6-7 seed is fair and i'll be pissed if it drops below that.

alaskazagnut
03-09-2010, 11:17 AM
If they think they are better than why chicken out. Resign the home and home series.

We will do it. Even Dpauley and Dawgman PROBABLY would agree that is best for the state and both teams in the long run.

dpouley
03-09-2010, 11:21 AM
If you want rage to boil inside of you go read some of the comment sections as far as zag articles go on espn.. Husky fans all over them like a fly on stink saying they don't even understand how the zags are a tourney lock and our only good win is against Wisconsin.

You must be reading different comments than I am. And how you deduced that the "negative comments" were Husky fans is beyond me.

dpouley
03-09-2010, 11:23 AM
If they think they are better than why chicken out. Resign the home and home series.

We will do it. Even Dpauley and Dawgman PROBABLY would agree that is best for the state and both teams in the long run.

I agree we should be playing every year. But I don't agree that Saxon is reading negative comments about Gonzaga that have been written by Husky fans. I think that is a major embellishment.

Saxon_zag
03-09-2010, 11:25 AM
I agree we should be playing every year. But I don't agree that Saxon is reading negative comments about Gonzaga that have been written by Husky fans. I think that is a major embellishment.

"I am a husky fan. Just putting that out there, because it probably means I am biased. But would someone please explain to me why Gonzaga is ranked and why they are a lock for the tourney? What have they done? Throughout the year, I have not really paid attention to them. They were ranked and I just took it as "they generally play big teams in the non-conference and pull a few wins, so it figures."

But I was looking at their schedule. Outside of Wisconsin, which is a good win no doubt, where are the quality wins? They lost to MSU/Duke/Wake, which were opportunites to get such wins. Furthermore, they have some BAD losses. San Fran, LMU and Saint Mary's to be exact. I just don't get it. Some of the wins look impressive in name only (i.e., Oklahoma, Colorado, Cincy and Davidson), until you look at how those teams are performing THIS year. Please, would a Gonzaga apologist please explain this to me. I don't want to talk about the huskies, they are on the bubble where they belong, and yes they have underperformed given the preseason expectations. But, Gonzaga...why?"

jim77
03-09-2010, 11:25 AM

Personally I think a 6-7 seed is fair and i'll be pissed if it drops below that.

Our best win is against Wisconsin...sounds pretty accurate.

Saxon_zag
03-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Our best win is against Wisconsin...sounds pretty accurate.

Never said it wasn't. Comprehend.

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Definitely one of the most knowledgeable and rational members of the board. Also, we can not focus on who our matchup would be, but on our seed. Lunardi is rarely right on matchups, but accurate on seeds. Marquette would be an awful first team to play in the tournament as well.

alaskazagnut
03-09-2010, 11:32 AM
"I am a husky fan. Just putting that out there, because it probably means I am biased. But would someone please explain to me why Gonzaga is ranked and why they are a lock for the tourney? What have they done? Throughout the year, I have not really paid attention to them. They were ranked and I just took it as "they generally play big teams in the non-conference and pull a few wins, so it figures."

But I was looking at their schedule. Outside of Wisconsin, which is a good win no doubt, where are the quality wins? They lost to MSU/Duke/Wake, which were opportunites to get such wins. Furthermore, they have some BAD losses. San Fran, LMU and Saint Mary's to be exact. I just don't get it. Some of the wins look impressive in name only (i.e., Oklahoma, Colorado, Cincy and Davidson), until you look at how those teams are performing THIS year. Please, would a Gonzaga apologist please explain this to me. I don't want to talk about the huskies, they are on the bubble where they belong, and yes they have underperformed given the preseason expectations. But, Gonzaga...why?"

Gonzaga was just out of the rankings early on. We slowly worked into the top 25. To drop out of the top 25 you have to lose. If you are in the top 18 you have to lose twice to drop out. You know this. The first half of the season all those teams you mentioned gave us a SOS of about 25. High quality all the way around. Confernece play changed all these teams in fundamental ways. Including Gonzaga. But we still didn't lose 2 games in a row to drop us out of the Top 25. Simple. If we wouldhave ran the WCC we would have been in the top 10 easily and a 3-4 seed in the tournament.

We will probably drop to #20-23 because we lost to St Marys but that is after Selection Sunday and it doesn't matter then. We are still rranked top 18 and 14.

dpouley
03-09-2010, 11:32 AM
"I am a husky fan.

Singular, not plural, correct?

Saxon_zag
03-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Singular, not plural, correct?

Should I copy and paste more?

BJZags
03-09-2010, 11:51 AM

Can't say that I disagree with much of what he says. Though, the St. Mary's loss is NOT a bad loss. BUT, UW has done even less than us, so, on the bubble they sit.

dim4sum
03-09-2010, 11:55 AM
There really isn't a dominant team this year. It all boils down to who gets hot for six straight games. Loss of Arop and the various aches and pains to the others make the Zags unlikely to advance to week two. Wish Meech were a Ty Lawson (who doesn't?) but he isn't and that will spell an early exit as well.

lothar98zag
03-09-2010, 12:08 PM
no thanks

caduceus
03-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Lunardi is rarely right on matchups, but accurate on seeds.

Really?

In 2009, Lunardi got 30 out of 64 teams seeded correctly. Less than 50%.
In 2008, he got 29.
In 2007, he got 19.
In 2006, he got 29.

Considering that ranking the eight #1 and #16 seeds are usually no-brainers, I'd say that's pretty terrible. In fact, 21 other bracket prediction sites did better than him last year, and he was 12th on average for the past 3 years.

(Source (http://bracketproject.50webs.com/rankings.html))

Ezag
03-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Really?

In 2008, he got 29.
In 2007, he got 19.
In 2006, he got 29.

Considering that ranking the eight #1 and #16 seeds are usually no-brainers, I'd say that's pretty terrible. In fact, 21 other bracket prediction sites did better than him last year, and he was 12th on average for the past 3 years.

(Source (http://bracketproject.50webs.com/rankings.html))

Lunardi has never been an accurate source and as most bracketology predictions outside #1's and 2's, it seems to be a toss up

dpouley
03-09-2010, 12:21 PM

Out of 787 comments, I bet you can't find more than 3 unique comments that match your "rage to boil" description.

I am still trying to find out why the example that you did post caused you to boil.

alaskazagnut
03-09-2010, 12:24 PM
is probably worse than Lunardi. I would bet that the selection committee deliberately chooses match-ups that differ from Lunardi. That gives them their special place and power. they aren't even needed if you go from a 16 seed tournament to a 64 seed Tournament. It doesn't change the fundamentals of the system but it makes it clear who should be playing who based on numbers, stats and the various computer rankings out there.

But I usually agree with Lunardi only to find that the selection committee sees something completely different. They like pwer and they will change up the seeds to make that happen.

I also want ALL games to have a final tip of by Saturday midnight. That way selection sunday is pure and gets the build up and bracket formation that is not haphazzard an unjust because they let teams play up to the last second. Good TV bad for everyone else who isn't playing on selection Sunday.

Houston Zag
03-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Why Gonzaga he asks? Because we are educating people the world needs most!!!

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Really?

In 2008, he got 29.
In 2007, he got 19.
In 2006, he got 29.

Well, according to the #1 ranked Bracketology site we're also a 7 and St. Mary's a 10

In fact if we get a 7 seed, which I see as the highest the committee is going to give us, Bracketology 101 lists our possible opponents as being....

Utah State, Notre Dame or Old Dominion

If it were possibly any of those 3, I'd prefer it to be Notre Dame.

Though I'd take this bracket that they predict in a heartbeat, opening against OD, then playing WV.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OxkZF8Xm-iI/S5XiAyrMpHI/AAAAAAAABno/4NFzU4kBJJQ/s1600-h/B101_20100309.jpg

MaroonZag22
03-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Well, according to the #1 ranked Bracketology site we're also a 7 and St. Mary's a 10

In fact if we get a 7 seed, which I see as the highest the committee is going to give us, Bracketology 101 lists our possible opponents as being....

Utah State, Notre Dame or Old Dominion

If it were possibly any of those 3, I'd prefer it to be Notre Dame.

Though I'd take this bracket that they predict in a heartbeat, opening against OD, then playing WV.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OxkZF8Xm-iI/S5XiAyrMpHI/AAAAAAAABno/4NFzU4kBJJQ/s1600-h/B101_20100309.jpg

And to be entirely honest, it is for one reason and one reason only. They have the #7 seed (Gonzaga) vs. #10 seed (ODU) at a location that favors the #10 seed. Not far for a Virginia school to get support in New York, compared to a Washington school. But this probably all stems from what I remember of a similar 7/10 match up from a couple years back (a.k.a. Davidson)!

MDABE80
03-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Joe Lunardi is right about half the time...but its good to remember that the whole show is defined by the committee. We'll be a 7/8 and that's where it'll end. I hope we don't get a jeg lag place to play.

GU's losses stink. Duke was the only one we got blown out in...except for the game last night. I hope we get a decent draw...the squad usually rises to the occasion...1 and done is just an awful thought. Few willl figure out a way to the Swt 16...unless the horses are injured or go to sleep. This is far better than we thought we/'d do at the beginning of the season with 10 kids not having D1 experience...or very little. It/ll be fine...we might have overachieved this year. Maui gave us some hope...and then we continued to deliver. Not so much as the OOC ended and league began.

It's that damnedable Zag fantasy we continue to have. 99 is long gone....when those tough kids went to the E8. We always think the magical stuff will return...and is still here....I, for one, believe it is and hope it stays. I want to think things will materialize if we work for them. It's America...work and you get stuff.!!!

webspinnre
03-09-2010, 07:08 PM
What Joe is really good at is who will get in, not so much for where they'll be seeded.

caduceus
03-09-2010, 09:02 PM
What Joe is really good at is who will get in, not so much for where they'll be seeded.

Joe is no better (and sometimes a bit worse) than the other prediction sites as far as who gets in:

In 2009 (http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix_2009.html), Lunardi correctly got 64 out of 65 teams named to the tournament. Fifty-eight of the 62 top bracket prediction sites got 63 or better (and 3 sites got all 65).
In 2008 (http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix_2008.html), he got 65. Forty-nine of the 54 top sites got 63 or better (and 6 got all 65).
In 2007 (http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix_2007.html), he got 63. All 31 top sites got 62 or better.
In 2006 (http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix_2006.html), he got 63. Twenty-two of the top 24 sites got 62 or better.

Considering that 31 of the 65 teams are automatic bids, you already know almost half the field.

webspinnre
03-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Fair enough - looks like he's solidly in the top half of projection sites. The important being, he and most others have only a vague idea of seeds. I'd actually guess that whatever site it is that averages everybody comes closer - wisdom of the masses and all that.

Saxon_zag
03-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Out of 787 comments, I bet you can't find more than 3 unique comments that match your "rage to boil" description.

I am still trying to find out why the example that you did post caused you to boil.

A couple reasons, mainly that a HUSKY fan is trying to pick apart the zags schedule (lol) and that he conveniently leaves out wins against memphis and illinois.. Acting as if we beat pepperdine 20 times and lost to some other crappy wcc teams.

TexasZagFan
03-09-2010, 10:50 PM
A couple reasons, mainly that a HUSKY fan is trying to pick apart the zags schedule (lol) and that he conveniently leaves out wins against memphis and illinois.. Acting as if we beat pepperdine 20 times and lost to some other crappy wcc teams.

Aw c'mon...let's face it...most of the teams we played have trended downward as the season progressed, save for Duke and Wisconsin. Cincy, OU, etc. have stumbled.

And the Pac-10 is seriously underrated by the rest of the nation. ;)