PDA

View Full Version : Some rest is due!

Zerogame
03-09-2010, 06:36 AM
If memory serves me correctly Elias has to be one exhausted pup. He showed up at the last minute in Spokane due to his German team playing all summer in international play. He has had very little down time at Gonzaga, the next 9-10 days should help energize his body.
It is obvious that Bouldin is worn down, and I was actually shocked to see Steven play as well as he did last night after the beating the night before. These kids are tough, letís give them that.

omahazag
03-09-2010, 06:43 AM
I understand what you are saying Zero, and don't want to get into a pissing match, but this teams lacks the collective toughness if you will that I saw at the beginning of the year. This is not the same Zag team that pushed around Michigan State or that beat down solid teams in Maui. Not sure what it is, but the Zags lost that "team toughness".

Zag79
03-10-2010, 02:46 AM
I understand what you are saying Zero, and don't want to get into a pissing match, but this teams lacks the collective toughness if you will that I saw at the beginning of the year. This is not the same Zag team that pushed around Michigan State or that beat down solid teams in Maui. Not sure what it is, but the Zags lost that "team toughness".

i was going to say the same thing, im sure you said it better. they seem to not have the swag they did earlier, hope it comes up in the first game and sticks! this team can beat anyone if playing well, and can lose to anyone if it just shows up.

Therunner
03-10-2010, 06:19 AM
Personally, I'm exhausted after all the exhaustion excuses for this team. If they are banged up, fine, it happens and its unfortunate. However, this team is not any more tired or exhausted than any other team in the Nation playing 2 games per week. Maybe Bouldin can claim this fact since he player 40 mins per game, but imagine if Gonzaga played in the Big East? In the WCC, we have to play all-out, 110%, 40 minutes of bust your arse bball only 4-5 times per year. Yes, the other teams play above their heads, yet imagine playing a Top-25 team a few times per week with no more rest in between. Are they hurting b/c of the 'hack a Zag' defenses, probably so. Are they run-down, tired, out of gas as a team? Hardly. If they are, its b/c they've lost the desire, toughness, and fire as a whole. If that's the case, we're in trouble for the NCAA tournament and that would be on the Coaches and leaders on this team(Bouldin, Sacre, Gray).

dim4sum
03-10-2010, 10:37 AM
The team started out with almost amazing cohesion this season. That is, with guys who scarcely know eachother, playing like they have been together for years. Against St Mary's all this went out the window. No backing up on defense. Every man essentially out for himself. Big steps backward for Elias who was forcing his game offensively and disappearing on d.
In my view, Elias' lackadaisical lack of effort affected the other guys, especiially Sacre who seemed to be one note charlie with his predictable and small offensive palette. It's hard to make a fighter out of a laid back, casual kind of guy. That's a big issue keeping Sacre from ever becoming a leader.

MDABE80
03-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Omaha said it best. Whatever they had , is long gone. I do think they look tired out though....and injured...and kinda defeated...wrong time of the year for this to happen. It happens though.. No team WANTS to lose. Ours doesn't but it does look like the whells are coming off.....ever so slowly..

One thing deserves mention...Zags held SMC even up until the 10 minute mark...then they folded. SMC look agressive and fresh. Not sure if anyone's mention this but SMC shot 68% ( mostly from 3 range too) in the 2nd half.
That's one statistic nobody's caught up with yet. Hell the LAKERS or Celts would lose too. And they weren't layins either....long bombs and tough shots..

BlueVoodoo07
03-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Everybody has valid points here, but I will say playing injured and hurt does make a difference, so people shouldn't compare this team with the team at the start of the season, when we had no injuries.

gamagin
03-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Omaha said it best. Whatever they had , is long gone. I do think they look tired out though....and injured...and kinda defeated...wrong time of the year for this to happen. It happens though.. No team WANTS to lose. Ours doesn't but it does look like the whells are coming off.....ever so slowly..

One thing deserves mention...Zags held SMC even up until the 10 minute mark...then they folded. SMC look agressive and fresh. Not sure if anyone's mention this but SMC shot 68% ( mostly from 3 range too) in the 2nd half.
That's one statistic nobody's caught up with yet. Hell the LAKERS or Celts would lose too. And they weren't layins either....long bombs and tough shots..

What SMC did to perfection is the instant they smelled blood, any blood, they started swarming like sharks, hooting and hollering and even their bench was prematurely excited and celebrating.

Hell, there still going, imo. Samhan wasn't the star that night. Those 3 pt shooters were. No matter. The noise, any and all noise (mostly samhan), carried them and the noise (samhan) is still carrying them. Anyway he can.

So whatever works, SMC doesn't care. Nor should they.

The weakness SMC saw after much consideration, was the ability to frustrate. The last rabbit in the hat. You can't coach those shooters to make those shots, but you can coach to frustrate those other guys, the Zags, if they are vulnerable to it. They were.

And we let the refs and the frustrations get to us. SMC sensed it and pounced. ANd thanks to our cooperation, they saw the game was over even before it was over by looking and acting like it was over.

Zag79
03-11-2010, 04:23 AM
In my view, Elias' lackadaisical lack of effort affected the other guys, especiially Sacre who seemed to be one note charlie with his predictable and small offensive palette. It's hard to make a fighter out of a laid back, casual kind of guy. That's a big issue keeping Sacre from ever becoming a leader.

uhh... i think sacre outplayed or at least made samhan a wash. 9 pts and 7 boards for omar, 7 and 7 for robert. and thats in 37 minutes for omar compared to only 27 for sacre. he needs more PT and shots, too many fouls racking up from bailing out his team mates.

Zerogame
03-11-2010, 05:38 AM
All teams at this point of the season are banged up and sore, no question. The Zags play from one end of the country to other and back again, not all teams can say that. My reference was to the SMC game though in particular. I would not have been surprise to see Steven Gray in street clothes in that game after the fall the night before. Manny was out. Bouldin is really showing the effects of a long season, and I think Elias just has tired legs at this point, again referring to his late season of international play.

Bob Zag said in October that he expected this team to frustrate us more than usual because of all the new kids with zero D-1 experience. They are away from home, some in a foreign land, academic responsibilities they are not use to. Hell, I think the team has done well all considering.