PDA

View Full Version : I quit watching when...

HOOTER
03-08-2010, 10:57 PM
...Samhan flopped and the ref's bought it. He immediately jumped to his feet and ran to the other end of the floor with the biggest grin on his face. He knew full well his team owned the officials. Did they out-play the Zags? Maybe, but we all know just how much of a role officiating plays in games like these, and by "games like these" I mean games where if the Zags win the conference may only get one team in the tourney. The only way to guarantee two WCC teams in the tourney is for the Zags to lose.

I realized at that point that no matter how hard the Zags played down the stretch they wouldn't be able to overcome the Gaels and the officials.

I had a feeling this would happen. The Zags ran into a team that had a strong desire to win and a group of overzealous officials who wanted what they felt was best for the conference. The wind was completely taken out of their sails, and who can blame them? To say the officiating tonight was atrocious would be an understatement and it completely took the Zags out of their gameplan. Call it sour grapes if you want to but that's my honest take on what happened tonight.

alaskazagnut
03-08-2010, 11:01 PM
including the Refs are tired of the Zags dominating and winning all the time. It was better for the WCC to have 2 teams in the Dance and the Refs subliminally react in that manner.

Totally silly ref job. Still woulda lost though, but maybe by 6-7, not 19. The refs killed all our momentum. Even though we only had momentum for abut 10 minutes in the first half and about 3 minutes in the second half.

HOOTER
03-09-2010, 07:56 AM
Totally silly ref job. Still woulda lost though

Maybe, but we'll never know. Gonzaga's "B" game beats Saint Mary's "A" game every time, whether it be on a neutral court, in Spokane or in Moraga. I think the playing field was leveled, consciously or not, to compensate for this. Oh well. Kiss Spokane, and a top 5 seed, goodbye. The Zags are in the tourney nevertheless and that's a good thing.

Ezag
03-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Maybe there were some bad calls but that was far from what really caused the loss. Refs don't make you lose by 20pts

U Zig, I Zag
03-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Maybe there were some bad calls but that was far from what really caused the loss. Refs don't make you lose by 20pts

Not a 1 to 1 correlation, no. But they can def swing momentum and turn 4 into 8 points and 11 into 19. GU got very few breaks last night. It's one thing to get burned from deep, fine. SMC was on from downtown, but it's another to come down and get popped in the mouth (Gray) and have the ball 'stolen' or to get it down low and got bodied and forearm checked while shooting and get nothing out of it (Elias and Rob numerous times).

*still ticked about the refs... sorry ;)

thickman1
03-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Not a 1 to 1 correlation, no. But they can def swing momentum and turn 4 into 8 points and 11 into 19. GU got very few breaks last night. It's one thing to get burned from deep, fine. SMC was on from downtown, but it's another to come down and get popped in the mouth (Gray) and have the ball 'stolen' or to get it down low and got bodied and forearm checked while shooting and get nothing out of it (Elias and Rob numerous times).

*still ticked about the refs... sorry ;)

+1

Once and Future Zag
03-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Thank goodness Steven's started wearing the mouthpiece, or else he'd have some loose teeth after that shot.

switchboard
03-09-2010, 11:37 AM
+1

I'm tired of people saying refs dont lose games for teams. Its pretty apparent when bad calls or no calls are made and the other team is getting everything called their way. It leads to frustration and feeling like no matter what you do, no matter what kind of rally you put up, the refs are going to keep you down. And that is what happened last night. Even Bardo was surprised at Steven Gray "sucking wind". The kid's got a motor and he was tired at the start of the 2nd half. Guess why?

lothar98zag
03-09-2010, 11:43 AM
The reffing in last night's game was worse than a perfectly reffed game and better than the reffing in the NCAA game vs Nevada.

I'll leave it at that.

maynard g krebs
03-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Great post, Hooter. WCC wanted SMC to get this one, and it would have taken a perfect game from GU to overcome it. SMC played well enough to win anyway, but the field was anything but level.

HOOTER
03-09-2010, 04:19 PM
SMC played well enough to win anyway, but the field was anything but level.

That's all I'm saying. Who knows if the Zags would have been able to pull it off otherwise, but the officiating was certainly lopsided (mainly in the second half) and Saint Mary's was able to capitalize by hitting freethrows. Add to that the blatant fouls that Saint Mary's repeatedly got away with and phantom fouls called against the Zags and what have you got? Two conference teams in the tourney. Hooray for the WCC. :(

Once and Future Zag
03-09-2010, 04:20 PM
...Samhan flopped and the ref's bought it. He immediately jumped to his feet and ran to the other end of the floor with the biggest grin on his face.

At that point I really wanted HamSandwich to go for a breakaway dunk so Rob could put the hammer down like he did in Moraga.

Im not proud of being bloodthirsty, but it is what it is.

jayray
03-09-2010, 04:29 PM
The reffing in last night's game was worse than a perfectly reffed game and better than the reffing in the NCAA game vs Nevada.

I'll leave it at that.

True dat.

HOOTER
03-09-2010, 05:06 PM

That about sums it up. Thanks lothar. :)

JPtheBeasta
03-09-2010, 07:37 PM

I totally respect that people find some honor in refusing to recognize officiating as a reason for a loss. But to say it never dramatically influences a game is myopic, and I think this most recent game is an example of that.

It was a close game until the Zags made one last gasp and then gave up the ghost. Once momentum swings totally in the other team's favor, they start playing looser and with more confidence and start making seemingly every shot.
This happened in the Duke game as well. There were some early calls down low and then it became apparent that they were swallowing the whistle. We missed some shots and fought for awhile. As soon as it was apparent that we weren't going to fight our way back into it early in the second half, the Zags let up on D and everything came easy for Duke.
It happened much later in the SMC game because the Zags were in it longer, but it did eventually happen. Late in a game, when a one or two possession game is swung to a three or four possession one due to bad calls, you either a)conceded defeat and quit or b) start taking gambles that will either bring you back in it or dig you deeper. I think the latter happened. This was not a 20-point start to finish blowout.

alldaye
03-09-2010, 07:42 PM
...Samhan flopped and the ref's bought it. He immediately jumped to his feet and ran to the other end of the floor with the biggest grin on his face. He knew full well his team owned the officials. Did they out-play the Zags? Maybe, but we all know just how much of a role officiating plays in games like these, and by "games like these" I mean games where if the Zags win the conference may only get one team in the tourney. The only way to guarantee two WCC teams in the tourney is for the Zags to lose.

I realized at that point that no matter how hard the Zags played down the stretch they wouldn't be able to overcome the Gaels and the officials.

I had a feeling this would happen. The Zags ran into a team that had a strong desire to win and a group of overzealous officials who wanted what they felt was best for the conference. The wind was completely taken out of their sails, and who can blame them? To say the officiating tonight was atrocious would be an understatement and it completely took the Zags out of their gameplan. Call it sour grapes if you want to but that's my honest take on what happened tonight.

If I were Sacre, or any Zag for that matter, I would have clubbed him in the face after that. I would like to see a Sacre Samhan fight. haha

americasteam
03-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Hooter, just reading your post....that is exactly the same moment I stopped watching, too! Probably the first time I turned the game off early.

I can't stand it when 'poor sports' win! I am almost as excited to see St Mary's lose BIG in the first round and to see the ZAGS win in the first round!

HOOTER
03-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Probably the first time I turned the game off early.

Yeah, I never do that. There have been quite a few games that I wanted to quit watching but didn't and, at the end of the game, was glad I kept watching. I just knew no matter how much effort the Zags put forth there was no way they would pull it off. Saint Mary's had all the momentum and the ref's were going to do their part to keep it that way.

I did set the DVR just in case though. :D

MJ777
03-10-2010, 11:30 AM

I'll leave it at that.

Double True dat!

The Nevada game had to be the worst reffed game in televised Gonzaga BB history. And there's another (touch) foul on Turiaf. Where were those refs last night when the boys were being mugged and where were they when JP was getting brutalized by the Bruins?

GonzagaSwagga
03-10-2010, 11:52 AM
The officiating wasn't good, but do you know what is actually scientifically proven to lose games consistently? Missing free throws and failing to guard the 3.

I love you, Big Will, but come on buddy...At least hit the backboard.

Meech? No excuse for you, you are just awful.

We shot 24 FTs to their 14.

If McConnell and Allen are going to jack up 3s all night then please at least get a hand in their faces. It's called defending the hot hand, Zags...Please learn how to do it.

Not a lot of teams are going to beat SMC when they're shooting 51%FG, 47%3PM and 93%FT...I tip my hat to them playing out of their skulls for 40 minutes.

MJ777
03-10-2010, 12:08 PM
The officiating wasn't good, but do you know what is actually scientifically proven to lose games consistently? Missing free throws and failing to guard the 3.

I love you, Big Will, but come on buddy...At least hit the backboard.

Meech? No excuse for you, you are just awful.

We shot 24 FTs to their 14.

If McConnell and Allen are going to jack up 3s all night then please at least get a hand in their faces. It's called defending the hot hand, Zags...Please learn how to do it.

Not a lot of teams are going to beat SMC when they're shooting 51%FG, 47%3PM and 93%FT...I tip my hat to them playing out of their skulls for 40 minutes.

Good points GS. I think SMC played their best game of the year. Will did at least hit the rim on his two FT tries in the championship game. I think he should close his eyes and just throw it up there. C'mon Big Will....practice...practice...practice...visualize it and believe it. And don't miss the fg when teams foul you.

sircreate
03-10-2010, 12:18 PM
You guys complain about hard fouls?

Check out the 10th picture at

http://www.lasvegassun.com/photos/galleries/2010/mar/08/wccmenschamp/

Now THATS a hard foul, he's lucky not to get thrown out of the game for that

lothar98zag
03-10-2010, 12:23 PM

Check out the 10th picture at

http://www.lasvegassun.com/photos/galleries/2010/mar/08/wccmenschamp/

I quit the slideshow after the 1st pix.

HOOTER
03-10-2010, 01:19 PM

Thrown out of the game? Don't be so dramatic. :rolleyes: A single picture cannot tell the whole story. Besides, the foul was actually called in this situation. It's the phantom calls against the Zags and the no-calls for Saint Mary's that I have an issue with.

northsidezagfan
03-10-2010, 01:54 PM

Not a single person in this thread is complaining about hard fouls. Not condoning it, but thats part of the game. They are complaining about the blatant fouls that are not called. Even those here talking about Steven being hit in the mouth are not emphasizing the violence of the foul, just the fact that it was extremely blatant and not called. The "charge" omar took should have been at least his 5th foul of the game.

Santangelo_for_3
03-10-2010, 04:01 PM
You could just see the look on some of the guys face after a bad call that they were deflated. I would never want to be a ref because there's no way it can be easy. But with a veteran sqaud there's no way it should have been that bad. With bad reffing or not we let too many good looks at shots happen. Not the best defensive performance and of course they were hitting their shots.