PDA

View Full Version : Perspective (read if you are panicking)

pbriz
03-08-2010, 09:31 PM
You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose. Lou Holtz

That Lou Holtz know's his stuff. St. Mary's isn't the second coming of Jesus and we aren't some mid-major scrub team. We got burned-Few will patch it up (along with our players) and we will be right there come the first round.

Gonzaga is at the point where a first round win and then a flameout in the tourney isn't the goal anymore. We expect to go deep, we expect to dominate, and the consensus on this board is that a final four is in reach in the near future. So say we win tonight-yippee we get a 4 or 5 seed, play our first two games in Spokane and then play Kansas or Syracuse and run into a buzzsaw.

Or, we lose and now we are looking at a 7 seed (worst case). We play Richmond in the first round (10 seed), followed by Purdue(2 seed) and then Georgetown (3 seed) before having to play a one seed.

So what we didn't get a "protected seed." We get a worse seed but an easier road to the E8. We didn't even know if we were going to make it to the tournament this year so why not go "all in" now? Forget 1st round win, sweet 16-this team is streaky and we are going to put it to the test and hope we come out of the gates hot.

Heck, we could strike out in the first round, but this year we are swinging for the fences and thats what March Madness is all about. Get excited Zag fans-it's time to wreck some brackets.

alaskazagnut
03-08-2010, 09:43 PM
I was panicked after the USF loss. I could see that the team, as a whole, just shows up when it is not a critical game. Lets face it. The team is in the Tourney no matter what. So why risk any more injury. Arop is out and everyone is banged up and lets let St Marys in to the Dance so we have 2 representatives in the field of 64.

allbusiness_zag
03-08-2010, 10:27 PM
You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose. Lou Holtz

That Lou Holtz know's his stuff. St. Mary's isn't the second coming of Jesus and we aren't some mid-major scrub team. We got burned-Few will patch it up (along with our players) and we will be right there come the first round.

Gonzaga is at the point where a first round win and then a flameout in the tourney isn't the goal anymore. We expect to go deep, we expect to dominate, and the consensus on this board is that a final four is in reach in the near future. So say we win tonight-yippee we get a 4 or 5 seed, play our first two games in Spokane and then play Kansas or Syracuse and run into a buzzsaw.

Or, we lose and now we are looking at a 7 seed (worst case). We play Richmond in the first round (10 seed), followed by Purdue(2 seed) and then Georgetown (3 seed) before having to play a one seed.

So what we didn't get a "protected seed." We get a worse seed but an easier road to the E8. We didn't even know if we were going to make it to the tournament this year so why not go "all in" now? Forget 1st round win, sweet 16-this team is streaky and we are going to put it to the test and hope we come out of the gates hot.

Heck, we could strike out in the first round, but this year we are swinging for the fences and thats what March Madness is all about. Get excited Zag fans-it's time to wreck some brackets.

Thank you for that post. It brought me back down to earth.

lothar98zag
03-08-2010, 10:33 PM
posted this in another thread before seeing this one:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=547730#post547730

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-08-2010, 11:19 PM
First off, I would not go around quoting Lou Holtz, the man sounds like has had one to many strokes and someone needs to sent him to the home.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure you can not predict each seed and who plays in what regional (aka g-town is not a three seed at this point)

I definitely agree with your idea of perspective. We need to appreciate the team we have and hopefully the lower seeds may even gives us some sort of psychological advantage.

That being said, we are not a sweet sixteen team. First or Second round most likely.

alaskazagnut
03-08-2010, 11:37 PM
That being said, we are not a sweet sixteen team. First or Second round most likely.

After Maui I thought we would get even better. I thought we were a Final four or N.C. team. I thought that until the loss at USF. We did't get better after Maui but we beat decent Ok and Illinois teams. I was sky high after our first WCC road trip taking 3 straight wins and looking downhill room there. Then the complacency hit. The 3-4 close wins at home. Then the USF loss. The close wins the rest of the year and then the LMU loss. Now this total beat down and embarrassing feeling that they know they are in the Dance and they need to save their energy for later. Not the lowly WCC.

Scary because now the emotional and level of intensity habits have been solidified and cannot likely change. It will take an uncharacteristic total shakedown from Few and the staff coupled with intense personal reflection and commitment to all out teamwork, focus, run and gunning, and defense.

They did it in Maui, and they can do it again in San Jose or wherever the 6-7 seeds play.

That is what I want now. A six or seven seed.

U Zig, I Zag
03-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Start the season strong and finish the season strong. It's a little shaky during the middle. Overall this team exceeded expectations but its such a long season you forget that as the weeks roll by and we keep winning - bad loss, winning streak again, bad loss, etc.

We got mugged Monday night, by SMC, the refs, and especially injuries. Us at full strength and a little better called game and it's ours. I have no doubt.

What this team needs now is some rest, some ice and some mental motivation from the staff. Jen better hire some temps, she is going to be busy.

We take this break, forget about who or where we are going to play and just point the jet in that direction after they announce it on Sunday. This team will excel when they play a team they haven't played this season - it's like a first date, you are a little nervous but alert and you make sure you are on the top of your game.

Few needs to pull all the stops and come up with something new - let's surprise the enemy.

TexasZagFan
03-09-2010, 07:38 AM
One thing I hope that the coaching staff has learned from this season is that you must develop your bench. Matt and Steven averaged 35+ minutes per game, and I think that showed down the stretch, physically and mentally.

I'm also trying to keep this in perspective...considering the inexperience of this team, Coach Few and his staff have wrung out just about the max in terms of wins, and making it to the Dance.

I've noticed the slippage in virtually all of the big name schools we've played, save for Wisconsin and Duke. What I thought was a big win against OU turned out to be a phfft.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think that the team has mentally hit a wall, moreso than physically. Will a week's rest solve that? That's the question in my mind. I was hoping we'd be on a roll going into the tournament.

007Zag
03-09-2010, 08:51 AM
First off, I would not go around quoting Lou Holtz, the man sounds like has had one to many strokes and someone needs to sent him to the home.

Not necessary, or classy, to say that. Coach Holtz was a great coach and is a wise man. I hope I'm able to share the type of insights such a successful career provides when I am his age.

BigTymeONIONS
03-09-2010, 09:38 AM
So say we win tonight-yippee we get a 4 or 5 seed, play our first two games in Spokane and then play Kansas or Syracuse and run into a buzzsaw.

So what we didn't get a "protected seed." We get a worse seed but an easier road to the E8.

Couldn't agree more. Yesterday looking at Lunardi's bracket before the game, he had us as a 4 seed in Syracuse's region. Sorry but I don't like that matchup for us in the sweet 16 should we get there(or vs. any of the 1 seeds for that matter). Now we get a 6 or a 7 seed on the #2 and #3 side of the bracket. Current #2 seeds are Purdue, West Virginia, Ohio St., and K-State. Current #3s are New Mexico, Mich. St., 'Nova, and Pitt. There is a distinct drop off after the #1 seeds and we are now, most likely, avoiding them. I think we did ourselves a favor last night. We all wanted to win the WCC tourney but we're actually in better shape now IMO.

B-hamZag
03-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Last year they finished the season strong beating Saint Mary's by like 2. Then they go to the tourament and play Akron and look like they didnt come to play. They pulled away but I did not like what I saw. The zags teams the last couple of years have shown times when they come and play with fire and other times like a team that doesnt know what the heck there doing. We have seen that this year. When we get placed in the tournament we will know in the first ten minutes if this team has come with fire or if it will be a long frustrating game that leaves us packing.

B-hamZag
03-09-2010, 09:53 AM
i mean 20 against Saint Marys

BobZag
03-09-2010, 11:04 AM
After Maui I thought we would get even better. I thought we were a Final four or N.C. team. I thought that until the loss at USF. We did't get better after Maui but we beat decent Ok and Illinois teams. I was sky high after our first WCC road trip taking 3 straight wins and looking downhill room there. Then the complacency hit. The 3-4 close wins at home. Then the USF loss. The close wins the rest of the year and then the LMU loss. Now this total beat down and embarrassing feeling that they know they are in the Dance and they need to save their energy for later. Not the lowly WCC.

Scary because now the emotional and level of intensity habits have been solidified and cannot likely change. It will take an uncharacteristic total shakedown from Few and the staff coupled with intense personal reflection and commitment to all out teamwork, focus, run and gunning, and defense.

They did it in Maui, and they can do it again in San Jose or wherever the 6-7 seeds play.

That is what I want now. A six or seven seed.

Good post, but I fear the fire is out. The fire after each loss has gotten shorter and shorter until now I sense it is out. Wish I had answers. But after9-10 days, this latest loss will be forgotten, everyone will be happy, satisfied, mellow, laid back and relaxed once again... And that's when the team loses. This reminds me of Matt's freshman year, just happy to make the dance, but Raivio did carry that team to a conference tourney title. The fire is gone, I fear. I really wish I could say otherwise.