PDA

View Full Version : Few did get outcoached this time.

HillBillyZag
03-08-2010, 09:17 PM
And for some reason this particular group seems less Coachable then many of the past teams. And as far as leaving early for the NBA goes?, IMHO none of our underclassmen have to worry about that particular problem in the near future. When Fewie got away from running more flex action and set offense,
fell in love with several underclassmen, mainly an under sized Meech, who with all of his speed just cannot defend bigger, stronger guards inside, and Kelly, who will be a great player down the road, but just lacks the physical strength right now to play inside defense, and gave them extended minutes
at the expense of Bol, Manny & Grant, it just left the latter kids too unexperienced and unready to perform at the level necessary for post-season success. And something thats never happened before, he obviously has lost faith in some of underclassmen. I'm not nearly ready to throw in the towel, there is still a bright future ahead, but until he finds the right chemistry and means to motivate this squad, one will never know just how they will react?

alaskazagnut
03-08-2010, 10:18 PM
This one is on the players for both the Zags and the Gaels players. I think Few is under the same pressure and habits the players are in. If the team is having problems with motivation and fire, then Few is too. It starts with Few. St Marys got the the first 3-4 whistles, we were sloppy to start the game and to finish the game and they hit 3's like they were lay ins. We had 14 turnovers!! They didn't take care of the ball and they didn't defend or rebound.

They shot the lights out and it killed our spirit. We have a weak spirit. Wake Forest killed our spirit. Duke killed our spirit. We thought we didn't need spirit against USF and LMU. Now St. Marys killed our spirit.

Why do we lay down and die when things look bleak? Mark Few needs to fire up this team better and more frequently. He is just so mellow, laid back and confident appearing all the time. He needs to break out of his shell a little and show the fire he wants his players to have. Give us the Mark Few that is hiding. The raging, crazy, fired up coach that we need right now.

Everyone is in a lackadaisical funk. Weird. Kinda Sad.

COME ON MARK SHOW SOME EMOTION!

MDABE80
03-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Few didn't get outcoached...and if you think so, give one instance. The players were outplayed....it's that easy. And ALL you have to do is look at the box score. Injuries, fatigue, pressure, YOUTH...and youth!...Not so unusual. We didn't move the ball well and didn't play defense...plus...and I dunno how big a factor injuries are...those 3 kids hurt...yes..the big three.

Heal em up and they'll do what they can.... Ladies did better...and they look so good. It's just the youth of this team that leads to inconsistent performances. Even if they were healthy, the same or similar thing would happen. Better things lie ahead.

lothar98zag
03-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Nobody is w/o blame for the loss.

zagco
03-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Zagco watched the game in person. He does not get to see Gonzaga in person very often. He was bummed about the loss. He tires of the constant 3-point shooting barrage we seem to get from WCC teams a few times per year. It's ludicrous. Something is simply not right about it. He also tires of the interchangeability of our players. He would prefer to see roles. While Sacre has an obvious athleticism to him, the Euro-style post has always bugged Zagco. If God wanted them to play like that, He would have made them 6'6" and they could have been the greatest guard ever. Finally, Few is obviously a tremendous recruiter, but Zagco has never been real sure about anything else.

We may well be a one-and-done team. Sure wish we had a playmaker like Courtney Vandersloot playing for the men. Man, she was FREAKING AMAZING. Mother of God. She was just unreal. Magic Johnson-like.

The WCC refs are the worst Zagco has ever seen. He watches a lot of WAC ball. This was just horrible. A joke. We got screwed until the end, and then, when 2 calls went our way late, those calls came after our own players held and pulled on St. Mary's players. The refs had no control over the game, and it was just awful for us underneath on offense. A travesty. This needs to be addressed.

NotoriousZ
03-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Nobody is w/o blame for the loss.

I blame you, Lothar. You were hoping for a 6/7 seed so you could see them in San Jose. I hope you're proud of yourself. :mad:

I'm sorry, I thought this was the rant thread. :) Seriously, even if we played well and won tonight I'd be almost as upset because we're without Manny.

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Few gets consistently outcoached in games, that should come as no suprise now. Its just not in his profile, he does everything else so well that is makes up for it. Great coaching is not necessarily great game management.

Obviously this is a temperamental team, one of our two veterans was playing hurt, and we obviously looked lethargical.

A first or second round loss sounds about right to me and that is okay. Hey we will be in the tournament and returning a lot of talent for the next few years.

Unfortunately seasons are a lot of about timing, and with a team such as ours that swings more with momentum than more veteran teams, we are hitting at the wrong time.

Honestly, I never complain about reffing, but that was just awful. One of the most biased games I have ever seen.

zag70
03-09-2010, 12:15 AM
I agree I hope he takes his 3pt shot defense to Oregon with LR...Nike can then enforce retirement in 3 years. No more from this guy....absolutely shameful coaching performance....as he said earlier in the day: "I just want this game over." At least he knew the reason why....I am also sure that BZ will come to his defense....

SWZag
03-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Why is it always someone's fault when we lose?

If we weren't so used to winning, we wouldn't be blaming people for our losses.

SWZag

titopoet
03-09-2010, 04:19 AM
Bennett plan was clear. Sling the 3 and make GU earn it from the strip. (No shots allowed inside, foul, foul, foul) A high risk plan, especially with thin bench. It was his luck the refs ate their whistle. (Not saying they were bias as I think they allowed too much physical play on both sides) As the game went on, it got worse and worse. Omar had 2 no ball blocks, (all hand and arms) Th last three 3s the Gaels hiit, there was some very bad mugging screens. The Dagger Dell hip check Gray out of the way, and the one before sahman literally tackled Goodsen.

SunDevilGolfZag
03-09-2010, 05:13 AM
St. Marys caught fire. Enfuego! They were unconscious down the stretch. Everything they threw up went in. Give them credit. Bennett did a great job. But blaming Coach Few for being outcoached is ludicrous -- just sour grapes fan ignorance

zagsmyboys
03-09-2010, 05:25 AM
The game turned when Sanham got the technical. After that they new what it was going to take to beat us. The Refs were letting both teams "really play" last night. They out "roughed" us. How far does a coach go letting the refs call such a bad game? There were some very hard fouls last night that were not being called. How far does a coach have to go before "chatting" with the reffs and earning a technical for his team? Does any one think that may have amped up the team a little?

mnzag24
03-09-2010, 06:10 AM
I posted this in another thread that got deleted for what ever reason, but i'm going to post it here.

I was screaming at my TV the entire night because Harris got consistently sucked in too low leaving Allen and McWhatever open for 3s. they were hot, but their shots were wide open. if Harris was doing this on his own, then i fault him (not for the whole loss, just this aspect). but, as the game went on and it didnt change, it seemed to me that it was a coaching move to keep helping low and leave their shooters wide open. no adjustments were made. who is to blame? no idea. just get it fixed.

Houston Zag
03-09-2010, 06:21 AM
I don't think Few was outcoached at all. It came down to players making plays. St. Mary's made more plays and hit more shots. Harris was a no-show for most of the game and guys weren't closing space on Defense fast enough. Hopefully the team will rest and rebound for the tournament. I'm sure Few will get the team under control. That is what he does. St. Mary's had a lot more to play for than the Zags.

BJZags
03-09-2010, 06:22 AM
My only fault with Few's coaching, and it has been a year-in-and-year-out thing forever it seems, and that is how we cannot, and I mean cannot (if our lives depended upon it) defend the three-ball. As they were lobbing in the threes in the second-half, were we in a zone? I could not tell. Few may have a semi-brilliant offensive mind, but he more than makes up for it with a semi-terrible defensive mind. Gotta somehow teach these kids to dig-in and man-up!

webspinnre
03-09-2010, 06:24 AM
I don't agree with those of you who are blaming this on the refs. Yes, the refs let alot go, but they let it go both ways for the most part. It wasn't the refs who weren't closing out on 3 point shooters. It wasn't the refs struggling to run offensive sets. I'm also not sure what Few should have coached up in this situation. He can yell at people all he wants about getting on the 3 point shooters, but he can't actually make them do it. If we'd had Manny, he would've played a ton, as we sure needed that energy on the glass. As it is, we got outplayed in the 2nd half by an SMC team that didn't want to risk sitting on their couches again come tourney time.

ZagHouse
03-09-2010, 06:37 AM
A loss is a loss. There is plenty of blame to go around, but to constantly want to throw Few under the bus. Damn you Mark Few for another 20 win season and getting us back to the NCAA's. Terrible job winning the league and winning coach of the year with such a young team. I bet you only take this team to the Sweet 16. Can we please get another coach that brings us back to the level of the rest of the WCC so our fan expectations can return back to Earth.

Now, I'm not saying there aren't times I'm not scratching my head about decisions in terms of game plan, assignments and rotation, but that's OK, because for 5 months I thoroughly enjoy the ride even with a few bumps in the road.

siliconzag
03-09-2010, 07:03 AM
You mess with the bull sometimes you get the horns. Our defensive strategy against the three pointers appears to be prayer. Sometimes prayers are not answered, and allowing guys wide open looks leads to swish after swish.

Mr. Bennett demonstrated the veracity of the age old adage last night that Defense wins big games. It is a concept which is neither novel nor unsupported. With good defense and a little luck, miracles happen, and prayer doesn't hurt. It is one of those necessary but not sufficient conditions.

Sili

ZagLawGrad
03-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Few may not have been on his game as well as hoped for, but I ain't interested in putting him on the trading block. He's the one thing you can usually count on.

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Few may not have been on his game as well as hoped for, but I ain't interested in putting him on the trading block. He's the one thing you can usually count on.

Amen to that. A program goes the way the coach goes.

gamagin
03-09-2010, 07:16 AM
but getting the kids to make those points is quite another matter, and comes from within the athletes themselves.

This night, the gaels hit them.

Gotta hand it to SMC. they came with a PURPOSE and executed. From a mile away. And they kept going and they kept making shots way above their individual player's averages and just WANTED it more. damn near the whole 40.

It happens when you run into a starving dog and you have already eaten your fill a thousand times and he is just getting his first taste.

ZagLawGrad
03-09-2010, 07:21 AM
That dog was a big Saint Bernard with slobber all over the place. It was icky. :o

zag944
03-09-2010, 07:27 AM
considering that the very probable replacement should Few ever decide to leave is one of the current assisstant coaches, I dont think you'll see tremendous game plan adjustments. A temporary/permanent dip in recruiting perhaps though...

careful what you wish for...

BJZags
03-09-2010, 07:46 AM
A temporary/permanent dip in recruiting perhaps though...

careful what you wish for...

Just curious, don't the assistants do the bulk of the recruiting? (i.e. Tommy Lloyd)

ZagManFan
03-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Can we send Few to the Bobby Knight school of coaching? Really. Can the guy show a little emotion? I regretted not going to Vegas in the worse way, but was probably better for me as I would have tackled a ref and did a Hulk Hogan elbow drop on his nuts. That's how fired up I was, and Few just crouches down and looks like he's at a wedding he doesn't want to be at.

It seems he coaches like he has a microphone attached to him and he has to watch his P's and Q's.

FFS, throw a chair or kick a ball into the stands!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO SOMETHING THAT SHOWS YOUR TEAM YOU CARE THAT THEY ARE GETTING SCREWED OVER!

BTW, I think the reffing was fairly bad last night if you have not figured that out yet.

Done venting. Selection Sunday seems so far away. I predict a 7 seed though.

Zagsker
03-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Few didn't get outcoached...and if you think so, give one instance. The players were outplayed....it's that easy. And ALL you have to do is look at the box score. Injuries, fatigue, pressure, YOUTH...and youth!...Not so unusual. We didn't move the ball well and didn't play defense...plus...and I dunno how big a factor injuries are...those 3 kids hurt...yes..the big three.

Heal em up and they'll do what they can.... Ladies did better...and they look so good. It's just the youth of this team that leads to inconsistent performances. Even if they were healthy, the same or similar thing would happen. Better things lie ahead.

Few did get out coached in this one. It is not a knock on the guy, it happens, but lets not plug our ears and close our eyes and think it didn't happen. Examples:

1) Our defense all night was either helping out on Samhan our collapsing on penetration. Over the course of the night we did seem to stop with the collapsing on Samhan, but I ask why we did in the first place. Rob is more than capable of doing it on his own. Guard penetration we kept collapsing and they would dish to the wing for a three. Now if a team is shooting average from the arc then fine, but SMC was on fire. Few should have made it set in stone that no one who has a man on the wing (shooter) is going to help on penetration. when it was 64-54, Harris sagged inside to help on penetration from McConnell and he kicked to Allen for the dagger.

2) It seems like we did not run any set plays to help Bouldin or Gray get some clean looks. Our entire offense was either hit Rob/Harris in the post OR run Bouldin/Gray off some big man screens. When we have played our worst, we look like we are playing a pick-up game. Few needs to actually design some plays when we are struggling like that. he does it after Time-outs but rarely have I seen him have our guys run set plays repeatedly during the meat of the action. He seems to be fine with the "heck we have better athletes let me just have them play" approach

pizzasauce
03-09-2010, 08:17 AM
I just don't understand why de didn't stick with the game plan that WORKED in Spokane. We shut the 3 down in Spokane by staying with the shooter and letting Omar go inside, then this game everyone from Bouldin to Harris were leaving shooters to "dig" down low. Plus he never ever changes anything during a game. Maybe we can make "head of basketball operations" and find someone who can coach IN A GAME. Still love the guy and the program I guess we should just change the expectations.

oregongufan
03-09-2010, 08:19 AM
If Few was "out-coached" at least he was classy with a handshake and a few
words to Bennett at the end of game. Something Bennett hasn't done after a loss (to Gonzaga). I know a few of you will say the end of game handshake is over-rated but Few always seems to say something to the coach (if given a chance) and to the other players.

This board is being to smell like the Oregon board and I hope it never gets to that point. Gonzaga IS going to the tournament.

zag944
03-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Just curious, don't the assistants do the bulk of the recruiting? (i.e. Tommy Lloyd)

Assisstants play a big part in recruiting, but losing a big name head coach and replacing him with a lesser known one never helps the process for a program. I certainley dont doubt any of their abilities, but I think our programs overall stability has been huge for our overall success.

HillBillyZag
03-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Funny, In my original thread or in any othe others I read, not a soul mentioned getting rid of Mark Few. Last nite Randy Bennett simply used the Wooden inside cuts and the threat of Samham's inside play to set us up and then shot us to death from the outside. Evidently we were not prepared for that and/or could not deal with it? What would you call it?

roxdoc
03-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Along with 20-win seasons, constant trips to the dance, a string of excellent recruits - comes the down side: inability to motivate, and inferior/inflexible game management. Trying to just stand back and take an unbiased view, another thing that strikes me is an apparent lack of growth in players over the season. Bol and Manny yes, but really who else? Hart? Maybe Gray? And for that matter is the team playing better (say before last night) than it was at the start of the season?

ZagLawGrad
03-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Funny, In my original thread or in any othe others I read, not a soul mentioned getting rid of Mark Few. Last nite Randy Bennett simply used the Wooden inside cuts and the threat of Samham's inside play to set us up and then shot us to death from the outside. Evidently we were not prepared for that and/or could not deal with it? What would you call it?

Living by the 3 is dangerous business. But only fitting in Vegas that the odds were with SMC in that regard last night.

bballbeachbum
03-09-2010, 09:20 AM
SMC was intent on getting McConnell going...they screened for him all night, and early, all over the place, and executed perfectly evidently, no fouls ever whistled for their efforts to do it, and Meech's abilities, which allowed him to win that battle the previous 2 times, were negated.

Matt is hurt, Steven is hurt, Manny is hurt, and we struggled to overcome that, most notably on D...just could not generate the ball pressure nor the close outs necessary. Yes, we need folks to step up, but injuries suck, and to our veterans even more, and it showed imo. not an excuse, you play with who and what you have, of course, but it's still a real part of the analysis.

Rob played Samhan at least even imo, but our perimeter players were a step slow in close outs and on the ball D...Matt, Steven, Meech. whereas before we had that jump in our step in those departments, last night all three looked bruised and beaten up to me, particularly as the game wore on and the bangs kept coming.

It's the Richard Fox approach to defending this Zags team, if you recall from the round table, and darn it, if that's what it's going to be, then we need the zebras to know it's coming and step up!

I'll put that on the coaches: make sure our players are protected by the zebras. that has been getting away from us big time lately imo, and see what happens in the dance.

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

kitzbuel
03-09-2010, 09:31 AM
I posted this in another thread that got deleted for what ever reason, but i'm going to post it here.

I was screaming at my TV the entire night because Harris got consistently sucked in too low leaving Allen and McWhatever open for 3s. they were hot, but their shots were wide open. if Harris was doing this on his own, then i fault him (not for the whole loss, just this aspect). but, as the game went on and it didnt change, it seemed to me that it was a coaching move to keep helping low and leave their shooters wide open. no adjustments were made. who is to blame? no idea. just get it fixed.

It didn't get deleted, it is still right here: http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=547475#post547475

dim4sum
03-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Very poor chem istry in this game. Elias wasn't getting many touches. Meech seemed reluctant to pass the ball to him. There was no sense of purpose in the forecourt. Bouldin played a particularly clueless game and when he's clueless the inertia syndrome sets in. Defense has saved several games where the team looked muscle-bound and immovable. Not this time. Three point d is a familiar issue and the lack thereof raised its head again. Not only that but that combined with zero protection of the rim, with McConnell
penetrating repeatedly with Sacre somehow planted Heytvelt-like beyond the arch. What gives? No structure to the O and even less to the D. A ballhawking team like Seattle University would have beaten the Zags last night.

titopoet
03-09-2010, 09:45 AM
I just don't understand why de didn't stick with the game plan that WORKED in Spokane. We shut the 3 down in Spokane by staying with the shooter and letting Omar go inside, then this game everyone from Bouldin to Harris were leaving shooters to "dig" down low. Plus he never ever changes anything during a game. Maybe we can make "head of basketball operations" and find someone who can coach IN A GAME. Still love the guy and the program I guess we should just change the expectations.

We did, but St Mary started using moving screens and hip checks to free their shooters. Too many of the close outs ended with players hitting the ground. I thought that one it was clear that the refs were eating the whistle, GU should have moved to a matchup zone.

One of the areas that Few needs to work on, though, is working the refs. He should have been on them harder pointing out every moving screen.

CB4
03-09-2010, 10:03 AM
For once I agree 100% with you HBZ. Few couldn't make an adjustment to those inside cuts. His player selection wasn't great. He didn't mix things up.

It wouldn't hurt him to show some emotion once and a while either. That T sure fired up SMC, maybe Few could learn something from Samhan.

ZagManFan
03-09-2010, 10:07 AM
One of the areas that Few needs to work on, though, is working the refs. He should have been on them harder pointing out every moving screen.

or throwing chairs. Just my .02.

I would have thrown the water bucket, got tossed from the game and gave my team an extra 15 minutes while they cleaned up the mess. NOW THAT'S THINKING!!!!

ZagHouse
03-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Why is it that Few never gets credit when we win. When we lose we blame the coach, but when we win--it's luck? People on this board seem to think anyone with a moderate basketball IQ and a coaching license would have won a national title by now. And for those who keep harping on the demeanor of the team reflecting the coach--what exactly does that mean? Are you basing his demeanor off Heister interviews or how he behaves on the bench? When's the last film session you sat through with the coaching staff or pre-game locker room talk. We see one side of coach, not every side. There's a reason so many ex players stay around and want to continue to be part of the program.

CB4
03-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Why is it that Few never gets credit when we win. When we lose we blame the coach, but when we win--it's luck? People on this board seem to think anyone with a moderate basketball IQ and a coaching license would have won a national title by now. And for those who keep harping on the demeanor of the team reflecting the coach--what exactly does that mean? Are you basing his demeanor off Heister interviews or how he behaves on the bench? When's the last film session you sat through with the coaching staff or pre-game locker room talk. We see one side of coach, not every side. There's a reason so many ex players stay around and want to continue to be part of the program.

It's not that we lose -- it's that we lose the same type of games over and over again for the same reasons.

ZagHouse
03-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Right. We lost to St. Mary's last night for the same reasons we lost to the rest of the five games this season. I apologize, even though the opponent was different, the venue, etc. the coaches (especially Mark Few) failed to put together a winning game plan and then make the appropriate adjustments during the game. Like I said, anyone with a moderate basketball IQ would have had this program in multiple final 4's by now because they would know how to motivate.

bballbeachbum
03-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Along with 20-win seasons, constant trips to the dance, a string of excellent recruits - comes the down side: inability to motivate, and inferior/inflexible game management. Trying to just stand back and take an unbiased view, another thing that strikes me is an apparent lack of growth in players over the season. Bol and Manny yes, but really who else? Hart? Maybe Gray? And for that matter is the team playing better (say before last night) than it was at the start of the season?

well, how about Matt for example? geez

ZagManFan
03-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Right. We lost to St. Mary's last night for the same reasons we lost to the rest of the five games this season. I apologize, even though the opponent was different, the venue, etc. the coaches (especially Mark Few) failed to put together a winning game plan and then make the appropriate adjustments during the game. Like I said, anyone with a moderate basketball IQ would have had this program in multiple final 4's by now because they would know how to motivate.

Sign ya up!!!!

DADoZAG
03-09-2010, 10:55 AM
It's not that we lose -- it's that we lose the same type of games over and over again for the same reasons.

I agree, it seems like every time the opponent scores more points, the ZAGS lose. ;)

Go ZAGS!

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-09-2010, 11:23 AM
The issue this year is there is no consistency between games. If you watch the games closely, the offensive sets switch almost every game. The rotation is never balanced or routine. There is no sense of flow or continuity. And if you look at the past ten games, our most important offensive player is not getting the same looks. Elias is reliant on straight post feeds into the block, and the guys are not looking for him. I hope this serves as a duke sized wakeup for these guys, but if you look again, this has to do with such a new cast of characters. Few does not trust the majority of his team right now. For half the season he did not trust Gray.

Argentum
03-09-2010, 11:53 AM
The game turned when Sanham got the technical. After that they new what it was going to take to beat us. The Refs were letting both teams "really play" last night. They out "roughed" us. How far does a coach go letting the refs call such a bad game? There were some very hard fouls last night that were not being called. How far does a coach have to go before "chatting" with the reffs and earning a technical for his team? Does any one think that may have amped up the team a little?

Nonexistent adjustments aside, picking up a T defending the team was the one thing I really would have liked to have seen Few do after Samhan successfully manhandled us on consecutive shots in the paint at the critical point in the second half. Considering Few never gets technicals such a move should carry plenty of weight with the WCC officials and his team.

Houston Zag
03-09-2010, 12:23 PM
If Few was "out-coached" at least he was classy with a handshake and a few
words to Bennett at the end of game. Something Bennett hasn't done after a loss (to Gonzaga). I know a few of you will say the end of game handshake is over-rated but Few always seems to say something to the coach (if given a chance) and to the other players.

This board is being to smell like the Oregon board and I hope it never gets to that point. Gonzaga IS going to the tournament.

I also noted that St. Mary's entire team didn't line up for the handshake after the game. Granted they were excited to win, but I kind of thought the handshake line was a tradition in college ball win or lose. Kind of like in hockey when the losing team has to wait to shake hands after the other team celebrates the stanley cup victory. You both celebrate and shake hands. I know this is overly critical, but I'm a bitter and really just don't enjoy Samhan.

Houston Zag
03-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Nonexistent adjustments aside, picking up a T defending the team was the one thing I really would have liked to have seen Few do after Samhan successfully manhandled us on consecutive shots in the paint at the critical point in the second half. Considering Few never gets technicals such a move should carry plenty of weight with the WCC officials and his team.

With the team down six points at a critical time a Technical on Few would be giving away points. I think Few handles himself in a very classy fashion and I wouldn't want anything different. Bobby Knight was a Royal a$$ as a coach and very few people liked the guy. Hence the multiple firings and continued problems throughout his career. I don't want Few to be Knight, and I think Few handles refs very well. He showed plenty of emotion on the sidelines after bad foul calls and always does throughout the season. Few isn't the problem.

Houston Zag
03-09-2010, 12:29 PM
In final defense of Mark Few...I'm sure the guy has forgotten more about basketball defense then all of the people who post on this message board combined. Helping in the post is a pretty common strategy and it requires that guys close out on the three point shooter. 3's are a low percentage shot and if you close quickly it can be an effective strategy. St. Mary's made shots and I don't think you can blame Mark Few for that. HE IS A GREAT COACH. YOU DON'T WANT THE ALTERNATIVE.

Houston Zag
03-09-2010, 12:36 PM
For once I agree 100% with you HBZ. Few couldn't make an adjustment to those inside cuts. His player selection wasn't great. He didn't mix things up.

It wouldn't hurt him to show some emotion once and a while either. That T sure fired up SMC, maybe Few could learn something from Samhan.

Ok. I am all fired up on this one.
#1) The only thing you can learn from Samhan is a place to get thigh tattos in Northern California.

#2) Gonzaga is known as guard U. They have gone over with the players how to stop an inside cut/"wooden cut". The players didn't execute properly. There was even a highlite showing Meech getting caught out of place and juked if I recall. This isn't a coaching or motivation problem as much as an execution issue.

#3) When you say player selection wasn't great. What does that mean? Did you hope they would put in Stockton Jr? Meech is most likely Gonzaga best defensive guard. Who would you select?

ZagLawGrad
03-09-2010, 12:50 PM
I love this coach. He apparently loves Spokane and makes some pretty good coin. Nice combination, thank goodness.

But if I were Coach Few and wanted to get the best percentage shot at a National title, it would be elsewhere.

So if he leaves some day, would anyone really be surprised?

VinnyZag
03-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Like I said, anyone with a moderate basketball IQ would have had this program in multiple final 4's by now because they would know how to motivate.

This is the funniest thing I've ever read on the GU board. Thanks for brightening my day.

Argentum
03-09-2010, 03:16 PM
With the team down six points at a critical time a Technical on Few would be giving away points. I think Few handles himself in a very classy fashion and I wouldn't want anything different. Bobby Knight was a Royal a$$ as a coach and very few people liked the guy. Hence the multiple firings and continued problems throughout his career. I don't want Few to be Knight, and I think Few handles refs very well. He showed plenty of emotion on the sidelines after bad foul calls and always does throughout the season. Few isn't the problem.

Letting your guys get fouled with minimal protest rather than getting them to the line to shoot key free throws is giving up key points at a critical juncture. There's a tremendous difference between getting one technical foul at a turning point in a tournament championship game and being Bobby Knight. It's laughable that you even brought that up. I can't remember Few getting a technical and that's the beauty of getting one there- it's a significant statement to the officals and his team.

Do I think that would have won the game for us? No way. But it might have stopped the bleeding long enough for us to recover some composure.

ZagHouse
03-09-2010, 03:48 PM
My previous post was strictly sarcasm and built on people calling out Few. For those who don't understand sarcasm or don't read the succession of posts to see how they build on each other--my gripe was that people seem to think that any yahoo with a whistle and a clipboard could have taken this team or past Zag team to the promised land if only Few would just step down and let someone who knows what they are doing run the show.

zagdad
03-09-2010, 08:58 PM
I don't think Mark Few was out coached at all. He called several timeouts during the game to try to set up plays for the team. He rested players when he felt they needed a break. Mark Few and company have beat St. Mary's two our of three times this year. Let's face it, that's a big accomplishment!! St. Mary's is a talented team. It is hard to beat a talented team three times in a row. I have a lot of respect for Mark Few. He is an excellent coach. Winning the conference championship ten years in a row is also a great accomplishment!

VinnyZag
03-09-2010, 09:04 PM
My previous post was strictly sarcasm and built on people calling out Few. For those who don't understand sarcasm or don't read the succession of posts to see how they build on each other--my gripe was that people seem to think that any yahoo with a whistle and a clipboard could have taken this team or past Zag team to the promised land if only Few would just step down and let someone who knows what they are doing run the show.

Yes. And that's why I said it was the funniest thing I've ever read.

original user name here
03-09-2010, 09:51 PM
I was sitting directly across the court from Mark Few last night and on more then one occasion I saw a coach who was giving the refs earfulls during timeouts.

To suggest that Mark Few should start throwing water coolers and kicking chairs to purposefully get a Technical....and show his team he cares shows some ignorance.

Mark and Co coach to the 80% level....which happens to be the best in college basketball.

In case the memories are short but I believe that this is the same coach that brought his team back from 15 to beat Wisc and WSU, from more than 10 to beat Cinci in OT, Helped his team get another OT win at Illinois, and at memphis.

I'll take a drupping from Duke if it means watching four other great games.

TexasZagFan
03-09-2010, 10:11 PM

Mark Few is a rare breed of coach. Unlike the nomads who bounce from school to school looking for a bigger paycheck, Coach Few has been a fixture in Spokane for over 20 years. He's quietly built a reputation as a great teacher and a great coach.

He reminds me a lot of Don Haskins, without the growl. That's pretty good company to be in.

O/T, I saw the 1990 GU-LMU game on ESPN Classic over the weekend. Two things jumped out at me: a much younger Mark Few on the bench, and Fred Carbone as one of the three referees. Allowed me to dwell into my past, living in El Paso, and a rabid fan of UTEP in the 80's.

alaskazagnut
03-09-2010, 10:11 PM
But if I were Coach Few and wanted to get the best percentage shot at a National title, it would be elsewhere.

So if he leaves some day, would anyone really be surprised?

I totally disagree. How is it that I get slammed for wanting the team to step it up emotionally and physically. I get slammed for wanting Few to step up the discipline and the fire to get us to that level. Very Sad attitude to think he shdould leave if he wants a national championship. This is exactly the kind of attitude I have been ranting about for the last 2 months. If that attitude ever got to the team we are done for and there will never be a second "Decade of Excellence".

I believe that Gonzaga has a N.C. in its future. All we need to do is focus, work harder and get back to the fundamentals and strict teamwork basics. Then just go out and beat each team by as much as we can for 40 minutes to build mental and physical habits of never quitting no matter if we are ahead or if we are behind.

To me it is about forming habits and the unbreakable belief in ourselves to win it all.

I think we are in the habit of easing up/quiting when we are ahead. We also play down to weaker opponents (quit before we even start).

To break this habit the only way is to never quit. Play every like it is the last game ever. Then we might break this habit of quitting subliminally, mentally or even physically.

We have the talent and the coaching staff to get there. If 10 seeds can get to the Final Four and 6 seeds can win the Championship, then we can. Period. We just have to develop the true killer instinct. Not just a killer instinct when we are behind or the game is close. What is wrong with that? Its different from rubbing it in on weak teams. It is about proving something to ourselves and to our future opponents that we will NEVER ease up. That will intimidate demoralize our opponents before they even play us. That will help us in the Tournament. I say we forget the nicey nice kind and gentlemanly "sportsmanship" and go for the throat. That is killer instinct. And you can still practice good sporstmanship by being gracious winners as well as losers (if we lost).

jim77
03-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Who's the winningist active coach????? The guy probably isn't perfect but how do you rationalize he can't coach with an 80% win %? I was as dissapointed as anybody at the way we looked. But, I'd be a whole lot more bumbed if Few headed out. I just can't imagine anybody else coaching this team....I don't always agree but, he is the perfect guy for the job.

ehk 21
03-10-2010, 06:00 AM
I am an alum of Portland, but was raised in Spokane and enjoy seeing the Zags have success.

I think the other teams in the WCC would love to see Mark Few go to Oregon or somewhere else. It would be the best thing to happen to the rest of the WCC. Is there any other basketball coach at a non-BCS school who has done a better job over the past decade? I sure can't think of anyone.

If you want to put Coach Few's coaching into perspective, look at North Carolina and UConn this year. UNC was the national champion last year. They are barely able to stay out of the ACC cellar this year. UConn was a Final Four team last year. They were pummeled in the first round of the Big East tournament and have looked horrible most of the year. But, Coach Few has led the Zags to another NCAA tournament, with a very inexperienced team.

Let's face it--the margin between success and failure is extremely thin in college basketball today. Any coach who can beat the odds and do what has been done at Gonzaga should be saluted. Yes, he's not a perfect coach, but who is? The Zags are consistently better than 98% of the Div I programs in this country. That's amazing success and I salute Mark Few for what he has done to maintain this success for so many years in a row.

titopoet
03-10-2010, 06:17 AM
He reminds me a lot of Don Haskins, without the growl. That's pretty good company to be in.
...a rabid fan of UTEP in the 80's.

Hey what a blast from the past. I was also at UTEP during the 80s. Yes, Don Haskins is a good comparison, though Mark is a offensive genius and Don was a defensive guru. The both loved their community and both turned down multiple big name school offers. Don did win the NC, but said it was the hardest thing he ever did. Don also had a reputation for getting the most out of his players, and he developed players like Tim Haradaway, Antonio Davis and many others into better players than if they would have gone somewhere else.

I think the fans perspective is that of being in the stands. It is easy to see an open player from the heights of the stands. Lot hard on the court.

Once and Future Zag
03-10-2010, 06:52 AM
I I get slammed for wanting Few to step up the discipline and the fire to get us to that level.

How many team meetings have you sat in on?

LongIslandZagFan
03-10-2010, 07:11 AM
Yep.... he should be fired. He can't coach.

U Zig, I Zag
03-10-2010, 08:27 AM
I am an alum of Portland, but was raised in Spokane and enjoy seeing the Zags have success.

I think the other teams in the WCC would love to see Mark Few go to Oregon or somewhere else. It would be the best thing to happen to the rest of the WCC. Is there any other basketball coach at a non-BCS school who has done a better job over the past decade? I sure can't think of anyone.

If you want to put Coach Few's coaching into perspective, look at North Carolina and UConn this year. UNC was the national champion last year. They are barely able to stay out of the ACC cellar this year. UConn was a Final Four team last year. They were pummeled in the first round of the Big East tournament and have looked horrible most of the year. But, Coach Few has led the Zags to another NCAA tournament, with a very inexperienced team.

Let's face it--the margin between success and failure is extremely thin in college basketball today. Any coach who can beat the odds and do what has been done at Gonzaga should be saluted. Yes, he's not a perfect coach, but who is? The Zags are consistently better than 98% of the Div I programs in this country. That's amazing success and I salute Mark Few for what he has done to maintain this success for so many years in a row.
+1

ZagLawGrad
03-10-2010, 08:48 AM
I totally disagree. How is it that I get slammed for wanting the team to step it up emotionally and physically. I get slammed for wanting Few to step up the discipline and the fire to get us to that level. Very Sad attitude to think he shdould leave if he wants a national championship. This is exactly the kind of attitude I have been ranting about for the last 2 months. If that attitude ever got to the team we are done for and there will never be a second "Decade of Excellence".

I believe that Gonzaga has a N.C. in its future. All we need to do is focus, work harder and get back to the fundamentals and strict teamwork basics. Then just go out and beat each team by as much as we can for 40 minutes to build mental and physical habits of never quitting no matter if we are ahead or if we are behind.

To me it is about forming habits and the unbreakable belief in ourselves to win it all.

I think we are in the habit of easing up/quiting when we are ahead. We also play down to weaker opponents (quit before we even start).

To break this habit the only way is to never quit. Play every like it is the last game ever. Then we might break this habit of quitting subliminally, mentally or even physically.

We have the talent and the coaching staff to get there. If 10 seeds can get to the Final Four and 6 seeds can win the Championship, then we can. Period. We just have to develop the true killer instinct. Not just a killer instinct when we are behind or the game is close. What is wrong with that? Its different from rubbing it in on weak teams. It is about proving something to ourselves and to our future opponents that we will NEVER ease up. That will intimidate demoralize our opponents before they even play us. That will help us in the Tournament. I say we forget the nicey nice kind and gentlemanly "sportsmanship" and go for the throat. That is killer instinct. And you can still practice good sporstmanship by being gracious winners as well as losers (if we lost).

Sorry AZN, but the odds are astronomical that the Zags will ever be able to put together a team good enough for a Final Four or National Championship. We've had some very good teams and all none have made it that far. As long as there are Kentucky's, Duke's, North Carolina's, Jayhawk's, the odds just aren't there. Kentucky gets an All American Freshman, we have none and probably will never have one. Hope I'm wrong someday, but I doubt it. So, best to enjoy being in the pack with the big programs and going as far as we can, even it likely won't be as far as we all dream about. That's just the way it is.

gamagin
03-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Sorry AZN, but the odds are astronomical that the Zags will ever be able to put together a team good enough for a Final Four or National Championship. We've had some very good teams and all none have made it that far. As long as there are Kentucky's, Duke's, North Carolina's, Jayhawk's, the odds just aren't there. Kentucky gets an All American Freshman, we have none and probably will never have one. Hope I'm wrong someday, but I doubt it. So, best to enjoy being in the pack with the big programs and going as far as we can, even it likely won't be as far as we all dream about. That's just the way it is.

but reality is reality, until it is changed by the Zags. So here's to that kind of change, to a national championship. I also strongly believe it is possible.

As long as we keep knocking on the door, anything is possible.

In a twisted sort of way, that is the lesson I took away from the SMC game the other night. We should have pummeled them. But we didn't because they refused to be pummeled. In fact they pummeled us.

That's what we have to do in the dance. Cop an attitude and drive it home.

Zag79
03-11-2010, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehk 21

+1

+2!

Gozags2009
03-11-2010, 01:27 PM
We were out hustled and lacked the intensity and effort we have displayed (Mich St, Ill, Maui, etc) The only person who can have any control over this is the coach! If a player or players are not giving the required effort replace them on the court. Do not fear consequence or you will not only lose the respect of the fans, but more importantly the players. Nothing motivates like PT!!!