PDA

View Full Version : the most shocking part of the loss...

WallaWallaZag
03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
was the fact that rob sacre arguably outplayed omar samhan...at the very least, it was a wash. when they were matched up one on one, i thought rob got the upper hand tonight. if you would have told me this would happen before the game, i would have predicted that the game would have around a 20 point margin -- for the zags. anyways, kudos to big rob for playing great defense on samhan and staying out of foul trouble...in fact, i think rob's defense has gotten steadily better this year.

Virginia Zags Fan
03-08-2010, 09:03 PM
In person, Rob dominated Samhan. He had a very good game. I hope he continues to play well in the tourney.

alaskazagnut
03-08-2010, 10:49 PM
that they looked so BLAH. The only fire was Sacre, who smiled, scowled, and was menacing and active.

Everyone else was looked like it didn't matter that much if St Marys won.

Fact is is doesn't matter that much. We are still in the Dance and we need step it up 2-3 notches in order to win.

Scratch that. We need to step up to 11 on the guitar amplifier. "Not just 10, but to 11."

Birddog
03-09-2010, 03:59 AM
rob sacre arguably outplayed omar samhan...at the very least, it was a wash

Sacre played a very physical game, maybe his best in that area, but I think it was about a wash at best. Give Hamsan some credit, he played 37 mins vs Rob's 27. Actually it was Hamsan vs Sacre and Foster (9 mins). The Tentmaker had 9 pts and 7 RB's vs Sacre's 7 pts and 7 Rbs, Foster 4 Pts 2 Rbs. Big Omar didn't get his double double, but he was on the winning team. The Zags lost because they could neither defend the 3 nor make the 3.

ronh_pm
03-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Sacre played a very physical game, maybe his best in that area, but I think it was about a wash at best. Give Hamsan some credit, he played 37 mins vs Rob's 27. Actually it was Hamsan vs Sacre and Foster (9 mins). The Tentmaker had 9 pts and 7 RB's vs Sacre's 7 pts and 7 Rbs, Foster 4 Pts 2 Rbs. Big Omar didn't get his double double, but he was on the winning team. The Zags lost because they could neither defend the 3 nor make the 3.

Though I liked Rob's play last night; he had Omar in his pocket all night on the defensive end of the court, the difference was Omar could kick it out to shooters. The possesion did not die because Omar had no shot, it continued on the perimeter with an open look as we doubled in the paint for the board.

On offence...not so much. There was no ball movement at all last night as Sacre either went up with the shot or the Zags used dribble penetration to score. No Bol from the arc. No Gray from the arc. No Bouldin from the arc. SMC made more 3's than Gonzaga attempted.

Whoever we play in the 1st round will have watched the tape. Few had better have a new look in a week or so because they again would not have beat LMU or SF with the game plan last night.

Birddog
03-09-2010, 05:49 AM
Ron, you're right on. I should have inserted some other stats in my post. Omar had only 2 assists but he had 6 blocks to Sacre/Foster's 2 and 2 (all Sacre).
As a team, SMC played much better getting 20 assists to only 8 TO's, 9 blocks and 8 steals. GU by contrast had only 9 assists to 14 TO's, 3 blocks, 3 steals.

Harris has to start passing out of the double, he has been ineffective of late in the paint, though his 3 ball is better.

Goodson had 4 pts, 1 assist. SMC like so many other teams was playing 5 against 4 on defense. It ain't rocket science.

One more thing, fouling Foster, Goodson and to some extent Harris isn't a bad strategy either.

GUinSTL
03-09-2010, 05:56 AM
A shame, even, to see Rob's quality game come to us in a loss like that. But (and this point has been brought up by somebody else on the board - so I can't take credit for it), it's true that Samhan can be an offensive black hole for his team. He's not particularly efficient, and when he gets his double-double and then some, it is sometimes at the detriment of the rest of his team. Instead, last night, he was giving it up to his perimeter guys who were on fire. I'd gladly trade a Samhan deuce for a McConnell triple, wouldn't you? anybody else notice that he didn't try to go at Foster once. He calmly looked to dish. that was good decision-making on SMC's part.
It's weird, but not only did we obviously do a sub-par job of defending the perimeter, but almost too good a job on Samhan. It makes me ill just thinking about it this morning.

~B

webspinnre
03-09-2010, 06:27 AM
Sacre's D last night was one of the few bright spots. He was all over Omar, making him take tough shots without us having to double. After Omar's T I was hoping we'd pound it inside to Sacre over and over again, see if we could get Omar in foul trouble, or get him to lose his temper to pick up a second T.

ZagLawGrad
03-09-2010, 06:42 AM
Bobby played well. I was mostly shocked at how well SMC beat down Elias. Samhan owned EH.