PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to St. Marys

MickMick
03-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Well played.

You left nothing to chance and secured your spot. Congratulations and good luck in the tournament.

No excuses, you were the better team tonight.

Thomas_Sutpen
03-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Totally agree.

SMC outplayed us in every facet of the game tonight.

They earned their ticket to the tournament.

Good luck to the WCC in the NCAAs.

john montana
03-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Congrats. Happy for mcconnell. He and Allen take a beating from smc fans at times and they won the game tonight.

bballbeachbum
03-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Congrats. Happy for mcconnell. He and Allen take a beating from smc fans at times and they won the game tonight.

Congratulations. McConnell kicked backside. Bennett really attacked that part of it, won it.

welcome to the dance

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2010, 07:06 PM

I check out the SMC boards... those two have taken a mild beating there over the season.

Congrats to SMC... maybe a bittersweet moment when GU is shipped off and SMC goes to the Arena?

We are beat up. Whirlpool jet tubs, ibuprofen and ice for GU.

gamagin
03-08-2010, 07:19 PM
They went after it, executed, worked their arses off and got it.

Instead of frustrating them, they frustrated us. The officials didn't help but in the end, it was we who broke down while they kept on driving.

But mostly they shot the ball from a mile away, over and over, and it went in.

BZ warned us all about this, so it's not as though their uncanny ability from the trey distance was a surprise.

It was just a surprise to me at how many times they could keep making threes, given the opening. we found out by giving them that opening way too many times.

If they can play in the dance like they did against us, I believe they will do a great job of representing the WCC. Best of luck to them from now on -- until we meet again,

GU69
03-08-2010, 07:22 PM
St. Mary's deserves to celebrate.

They played hard and won big against a good Gonzaga team.

I hope they go deep in the NCAAs.

BSUBronco74
03-08-2010, 07:23 PM
That was the only way they could go to the dance, and they pulled it off. A well played and well coached game against the Zags. They outplayed GU in every aspect. That wee exchange between Samhan and Sacre was worth the price of admission, regardless of the final score.

Speaks well for the WCC, which now has two teams locked into the NCAA tourney.

I think that SMC and GU both have a chance of winning at least one game in the tournament. Given some rest and some reassessment of principles and personnel, the Zags might even get to the second weekend. I'm hoping for that, but not counting on it.

Stache
03-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Get tougher. If you have to, beat the refs. No excuses. Yes,I yelled at the TV, but we have weak spots that includes perimeter defense. Get tougher. I miss Manny.

allnet59
03-08-2010, 07:27 PM
the better team won tonight ............. PERIOD they had more to play for and it showed. Whenever your not getting the calls it plays on your mind we still took twice as many foul shots but look at the assists ratio is a telling tale of a game. I just hope this team quits playing so much one on one and gets back to playing better team ball. good luck in the the big dance.

23dpg
03-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Congrats to St. Marys. Nothing else.

ZagHouse
03-08-2010, 07:29 PM
You could tell the rotation was off with Manny out. I thought it was weird that they went with Kelly in the second half instead of Will. Coaches couldn't find the right match-ups at times and it showed--well done to St Mary's for playing for the win. Not having to wait on selection Sunday is a huge motivating factor. The WCC refs allowed other teams to harass Matt all over the floor and you can tell it's taken its toll both physically and mentally. Rest up and get ready for next week.

Therunner
03-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Tough to read posts like the one below on the SMC message board, yet congrats to the Gaels. They deserve to be the WCC Champions the way they played tonight. The Zags didn't show up to play, but there are no excuses. Hats off to them.

From Godisagael.com:

SMC should be a higher seed than the Zags and proved it tonight. While I'll admit Bouldin did look hurt(as reported), it was our night and no one, especially not the Zags were going to take the Championship away from us. We matched their intensity and out played them on both sides of the court.

The Zags are predicted to be anywhere from a 5 to a 7 seed in the NCAA Tournament. If that's the case, we should at least be seeded a 7 or higher, imo. The first year in a long time I can say we are Number 1 in the WCC and better than Gonzaga.

WallaWallaZag
03-08-2010, 07:52 PM
congrats to st.mary's...now we can call it a rivalry again. also congrats to ben allen and mickey for stepping up...neither did a thing in the first two matchups. the ben allen vs. elias harris matchup at the 4 was the main difference this game. elias dominated the previous two meetings with his athleticism...not sure why he struggled today, both on offense and defense.

kyle dixon
03-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Congratulations are in order to St Mary's. You were the better team tonight, with great performances by McConnell and Ben Allen. Good luck the rest of the way.

Did anyone else catch the end of the Gael celebration after the win? Seriously, Steven Bardo? Did you seriously need to jump in there with the Gaels and hug Omar Samhan and celebrate with them? Not so sure about that ESPN.

gaels87
03-08-2010, 08:03 PM
for the thread - honestly, probably the best win in the history of our program (or at least since 1959). We had everything to gain tonight and finally played like it. I just hope like some of the yo-yo's on our message boards at least try to act like we have been there before (even if we haven't!!) and don't make too many dumb comments. You guys have an unbelievable program and I can only hope that SMC experiences just a small portion of the success Gonzaga has had over the years
good luck in the dance.

jim77
I haven't seen the game yet just checked the score from work. Congrats Gaels on you're victory AND trip to the dance.....best of luck!

drnoe
The team looked like they had played three nights in a row. Being without Manny was not the difference, but it didn't help. Wish we knew what was going on with Matt, but I hope nine days of rest will help. Time to forget about this one and move on. Hope the committee isn't too rough on us. A 6 seed would be nice. Congrats to SMC... enjoy it while it lasts. Onward and upward.

lothar98zag
03-08-2010, 08:04 PM
One at a time for all that earned it:

Congrats to these players -
Ben Allen
Trey Anderson
Phil Benson
Matthew Dellavedova
Tim Harris
Wayne Hunter
Beau Levesque
Mickey McConnell
Jorden Page

Clint Steindl
Kenton Walker
Tim Williams
Mitchell Young

& congrats to all the coaches -
Randy Bennett
Kyle Smith
David Patrick
David Patrick
Tyler Ojanen

& congrats to all the fans.

I hope everyone I listed has a great time in/at/with the NCAA tourney. Represent the league well, like I know you can.

NotoriousZ
03-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Welcome gaels87, your Gaels played great. I hope they represent the WCC well in the Big Dance. I'm actually happy for Samhan.

But this has easily been the worst day of the season for me as a Zag fan. The horrible news about Manny topped off with a second half a$$ kicking that will send us out of Spokane for the NCAA's (of which I have four tickets). I am just numb right now and all I can think about is what someone said about Dellavedova a month or so ago. It was something like, "we have to look at this mess for another three years?" SMC does a fantastic job at getting players you love to hate. I really hate that guy.

@ESPNAndyKatz Love the effort/scoring of Matthew Dellavedova but please put the mouthpiece in your mouth. That has to be one of the more annoying habits.

cggonzaga
03-08-2010, 08:16 PM
St. Mary's beats 99% of the teams in the country the way they played tonight. Congrats and I personally hope they make it to the Sweet 16 at least.

We really need to fix some things. I'm sure the coaching staff will get the players to respond. Thank God for 9 days off!

I'm still thinking a 6 seed at worst.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Yep, Congratz to Saint Mary's I look forward to defending our honor and beating them once again in Indianapolis!

marczagfan
03-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Congrats to St. Mary's, they flat out beat us tonight and they were the better team tonight. The zags needs some time off and need some time to regroup and get healthy. Losing Arop was huge, but don't forget St. Mary's lost Hunter this year. Bottom line....St Mary's wanted it more. We should all root for them come NCAA time as they are now our WCC brothers, no more conference games this year.

The zags will rebound, Bouldin needs to rest and get healthy. We are a 6 or 7 seed, which actually gives us better matchups.

Everyone who is saying the ref's cost us the game is needs to take some time and really think about what happend. Yeah, there were some calls that didn't go our way, but we went down by 19 at one point, 3 or 4 calls will not make that up and we were down the whole game. Plain and simple we got beat tonight and St. Mary's deserves all the credit, no excuses, refs or not. Time to move on to the big dance.

MJ777
03-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Congrats to SMC for playing a great game tonight. I guess Sanham got the last laugh. I hope the Gaels make it to the FF and then lose to the Zags in the championship.

Second halves like that are the reason I stay away from posting on the game threads......Ugh!!

Get healthy, get focused, get ready to rumble. Go Zags!

GoZags
03-08-2010, 09:21 PM
What he said. Congratulations to St. Mary's for a bigtime win. Good luck in the Big Dance.

One at a time for all that earned it:

Congrats to these players -
Ben Allen
Trey Anderson
Phil Benson
Matthew Dellavedova
Tim Harris
Wayne Hunter
Beau Levesque
Mickey McConnell
Jorden Page

Clint Steindl
Kenton Walker
Tim Williams
Mitchell Young

& congrats to all the coaches -
Randy Bennett
Kyle Smith
David Patrick
David Patrick
Tyler Ojanen

& congrats to all the fans.

I hope everyone I listed has a great time in/at/with the NCAA tourney. Represent the league well, like I know you can.

billyberu
03-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Well, it was a tough loss to stomach, but St. Mary's played very well tonight (and last night against Portland) and the players that haven't stepped up before stepped up huge tonight. A well deserved congratulations.
The upside to this painful loss is that the WCC gets another deserving team in the dance and I hope they do a lot of damage. I, for one, will be rooting for them to do well.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-09-2010, 02:22 AM
I wanted to start a thread to congratulate Omar Samhan for finally winning a big game against Gonzaga.

Love him or hate him, he has been one of the most memorable WCC opponents that the Zags have ever played. He plays very hard and he has improved tremendously from year to year as he has gotten into better physical shape and learned to control his emotions better on the court. The rest of his team stepped up for this game and they all deserved that win.

For Zag fans who have been very critical of him, sometimes in a friendly way but often in a very mean-spirited way, we will never be able to call him out, again, because he won the biggest game of his career and he did it on the WCC's biggest stage. There will be no rematch.

Well done to Omar and good luck to St. Mary's in the future. Randy Bennett has built a very good team and a very good program.

ZagManFan
03-09-2010, 08:14 AM
What he said. Congratulations to St. Mary's for a bigtime win. Good luck in the Big Dance.

I agree with the 2 previous posts here. If Samhan had not ran his fat arse down the court after a total BS charge on Elias I would include him here, but he is a classless act and does not represent SMC or the WCC in the way he should.

I wish SMC the best of luck the rest of the way. You have 13 players that play it the right way and ones I respect.

U Zig, I Zag
03-09-2010, 08:56 AM
I agree with the 2 previous posts here. If Samhan had not ran his fat arse down the court after a total BS charge on Elias I would include him here, but he is a classless act and does not represent SMC or the WCC in the way he should.

I wish SMC the best of luck the rest of the way. You have 13 players that play it the right way and ones I respect.

Just read in Blanchette's column in the paper that Samhan wouldn't meet Meech at center court in the pregame greeting or whatever? WTF is that about?

I would love an SMC'er to explain that one away...

ZagLawGrad
03-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Just read in Blanchette's column in the paper that Samhan wouldn't meet Meech at center court in the pregame greeting or whatever? WTF is that about?

I would love an SMC'er to explain that one away...

Always nice to see the compelling need to hand out somewhat sickly sweet congrats on a forum board. Especially to a team with a quality character like Samahan. He'd just as soon gut the Zags as hear how happy the GU fans are for his team.

bballbeachbum
03-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Always nice to see the compelling need to hand out somewhat sickly sweet congrats on a forum board. Especially to a team with a quality character like Samahan. He'd just as soon gut the Zags as hear how happy the GU fans are for his team.

I am not happy for their team, no. their whole angle is to do it at our expense...how can I like that? much more respect for LMU on that one. if they'd go rep the WCC like warriors, my opinion would change, but instead they hyper cross-hair us with all of their energy...that's fine, whatever, it finally worked for them.

and now I believe I was wrong re. Samhan having matured more, as I'd posted before elsewhere. My bad on that.

but they won, so I congratulate them, sickly sweet but right hand forward