PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the 8-9 game-

NYCZAG
03-08-2010, 06:54 PM
They obviously get in but 7-10 now and Midwest for sure Spokane is gone have to win your tourney for any home town consideration-8 or 9 seed would be awful spot but at least they get in young team bright future-

zagfan08
03-08-2010, 06:56 PM
6-7 is much more realistic. Right now we're probably a 6. So no, no 8-9 game.

NYCZAG
03-08-2010, 07:01 PM
I hope your right but they got blown out tonight lost to san Fran lmu and now St marys and they aren't great teams good is a stretch!-St marys didn't beat one great team they beat a good one tonight-I think they get bounced to 8-

NEC26
03-08-2010, 07:03 PM
8-9? Highly doubt that.

Thomas_Sutpen
03-08-2010, 07:04 PM
We'll get a 7. Probably not a 6 after tonight.

NYCZAG
03-08-2010, 07:04 PM
I think they also get hurt with how bad the west was this year!-New Mexico is a great team but look be realistic the Big East has uconn as a 12 seed in the tourney-That team with walker dyson and Robinson might win the wcc going away they are the 12 seed!!!!-I am hoping for a 6!!!!-

Therunner
03-08-2010, 07:07 PM
To be honest, our resume, rpi, sos, and current standing warrants a 6-7 seed at best, imo. Considering our star player is hurting with an undisclosed injury(Bouldin), our 6th man is done for the season, and we just got blown out in the WCC Tourney, we don't deserve any higher. I'm just happy we'll most likely receive an at-large bid and make the Tourney for an 11th consecutive year.

That said, is there a chance we are now considered a bubble team? Are we guaranteed a spot in the Tournament? Our resume looks awfully similar to Georgia Tech, Florida, Wake Forest, etc, who are all considered bubble teams. I recently heard an interview with the UCLA Athletic Director(2010 NCAA Tourney Chair) saying they hope to give serious consideration to middle-of-the-pack teams in major conferences who have a resume worth of being in the Top-64.

rawkmandale
03-08-2010, 07:09 PM
They won't fall that far. I'd guess to a 7 in San Jose. That's not bad, unless the first round opponent was a #10 California. Then we'd be up against a 2. Tough road. Hanging onto a 6 seed would be better, as that means an 11/3 route to the regionals.

But, you have to play your games and win. Losses seem to re-energize this team, which I suspect was emotionally realing tonight after lossing Manny. That will pass, and I think we are more dangerous for the near future than we would have been with a win.

Sorry for the Spokane Ticket holders, but this might be the best thing for the team.

kitzbuel
03-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Face it, the Zags are gonna get the play-in game in Milwaukee.

ZagMan in Philly
03-08-2010, 07:12 PM
we will probably play a mid major team like richmond, xavier, siena, dayton as a 6 or 7 seed,

NovaZag
03-08-2010, 07:16 PM
7 seed

zagfan08
03-08-2010, 07:16 PM
My sarcasm detector on the internet isn't very good so maybe I'm misunderstanding, but did someone really ask if we'd be a bubble team?

MickMick
03-08-2010, 07:17 PM
I predict they will face a very, very tough Old Dominion team. Zags would have their hands completely full.

You read it here first :)

Stache
03-08-2010, 07:18 PM
That's what the 8-9 winner gets. Ouch.

NYCZAG
03-08-2010, 07:18 PM
The way they played tonight they wouldn't win a play in game :)-At Siena tonight in albany back to MSG tomorrow for big east love college basketball!-They will get in a 6 would be great at this point a 7 is scary and 8 is awful-

btzag
03-08-2010, 07:22 PM
I just wanted to be a part of the "Completely overreact after a loss" thread.

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Where is St Marys looking? I think I will jump off a bridge if they are seeded the same or higher than us. Nothing against SMC, just SMC's style of play, weak schedule and Samhan.

TacomaZAG
03-08-2010, 07:25 PM
7-10 seed, probably playing in the morning back east, not our best if memory serves. San Jose would be a dream, wouldn't bet on it though. The committee loves to put the non-BCS teams against each other right away, especially in the 7-10 or 8-9 matchup.

We have nothing to say about any seeding or location now, not with that embarrassment and the USF and LMU losses.

Too bad, we had the a huge advantage (Spokane for the first weekend) and gave it away.

Go ZAGS

Hint on how to beat the Zags: Drive and dish for the wide open three. Everyone in America knows that's how you beat the Zags, how come we can't figure it out?????

Zagregious
03-08-2010, 07:27 PM
This tournament is going to be fun. The expectations just got substantially lowered, and we can surprise quite a few teams in this field. I for one am going to enjoy the ride with all of these young players in tow along with Bouldin's final curtain call.

NYCZAG
03-08-2010, 07:31 PM
I just wanted to be part of the denial thread-Nobody is overeacting we are discussing what seed they will fall too after a LOSS and a bad one at that-They were a 5 before the game-Its only realistic to assume they will drop-Sorry to hurt anyones feelings :(

RenoZag
03-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Zags have been a mostly pleasant surprise this year but tonight the Gaels thumped 'em like a tom tom ( dammit )

I say the win was tainted because we didn't have Manny and Gray was missing some fingernails. . .

LynetteG
03-08-2010, 07:36 PM
really really hoping for a 6! been saying all along a 4 or 6, and since the 4 is not possible, the 6 it is!

SanDiegoZag
03-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Hint on how to beat the Zags: Drive and dish for the wide open three. Everyone in America knows that's how you beat the Zags, how come we can't figure it out?????[/QUOTE]

Yep, ain't that the truth. The Zags were fortunate to win the first two meetings with St. Mary's. Let Samhan get his, but sagging and helping and leaving dudes wide open for 3 all dy long will almost always end in a loss. It is a very simple formula that will inevitably be the Zags demise in the tourney, as it has in the past as well.

ZagLawGrad
03-08-2010, 07:43 PM
6, 7 whatever... we're in. It just might be what the doctor ordered. Get the Pendo and Spink attitude from past years back.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-08-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm thinking Gonzaga dips to a 7 seed, SMC will get an 11 or 12.

Therunner
03-08-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm thinking Gonzaga dips to a 7 seed, SMC will get an 11 or 12.

According to their message board:

SMC should be a higher seed than the Zags and proved it tonight. While I'll admit Bouldin did look hurt(as reported), it was our night and no one, especially not the Zags were going to take the Championship away from us. We matched their intensity and out played them on both sides of the court.

The Zags are predicted to be anywhere from a 5 to a 7 seed in the NCAA Tournament. If that's the case, we should at least be seeded a 7 or higher, imo. The first year in a long time I can say we are Number 1 in the WCC and better than Gonzaga.

zagitup
03-08-2010, 07:53 PM
This tournament is going to be fun. The expectations just got substantially lowered, and we can surprise quite a few teams in this field. I for one am going to enjoy the ride with all of these young players in tow along with Bouldin's final curtain call.

Spot on my friend. 6, 7, 8, or 9 (!), this is gonna be a fun ride ahead.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-08-2010, 07:59 PM
According to their message board:

There's a reason I don't even bother looking there.

Let the children enjoy their moment, the series is 2-1 and Gonzaga won the WCC regular season title while playing a way harder OOC schedule.

There is nobody outside of that board even remotely thinking that way.

btzag
03-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Listen, the consensus was a five seed before the game and we just lost at a neutral site to a serious bubble team(lunardi had them in before the game) and we just lost our 6th man to an injury and Bouldin was obviously playing hurt. So we drop anywhere from 2-4 seeds because of that!

Sorry but that is overreacting. I know some are joking but you who are not need to get a grip. You just do not drop off the cliff because of a loss like this, just what the conf tourneys and tell me how the consensus 3-5 seeds do over the rest of this week. Think all of them are going to win their tourneys? Nope. Think some of them are going to lose to teams comparable to St. Mary's? Yep, guarantee it.

My guess by the way is a 6 seed in San Jose. Think about it, that would put us in the 21-24 teams seed wise in the tourney which I think is fair.

dpouley
03-08-2010, 08:02 PM
We'll get a 7. Probably not a 6 after tonight.

Unfortunately, I think that tonight's game made it easy for the committee to put them in a 7 seed. I would say that 6 or 7 is likely. However, I remember numerous years where the committee has totally screwed the Zags with a 6 or 7 seed when most of us were expecting a 3,4, or 5.

dpouley
03-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Listen, the consensus was a five seed before the game and we just lost at a neutral site to a serious bubble team(lunardi had them in before the game) and we just lost our 6th man to an injury and Bouldin was obviously playing hurt. So we drop anywhere from 2-4 seeds because of that!

Sorry but that is overreacting.

Not really. The Zags resume is pointing more and more to a 7 seed. And yes, losing to St. Mary's by 19 tonight, probably dropped them from a 5 to a 7.

The thing that you are not paying attention to is that the Zags are done playing until the tournament. There are a TON of teams that have 2, 3, 4 games to play this week that are all sitting about where the Zags are sitting. Those teams have an opportunity to win and move into the four 5 spots and the four 6 spots.

It is not over-reacting, it is reality.

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2010, 08:40 PM
I liked the SMC post about being the best in the WCC. They really think they are going to get (hell, the way it goes - they might) or deserve a higher seed than GU? They lost the WCC to champs 2 out of 3 times and had... meh, anyway...

6 is a bad draw, but whatever - if we have to fly across country to play Davidson they sure as sh#t can put us in Spokane.

I honestly would not be suprised if we still got a 5 or as low as an 8.

A 9 or 4 are probably extreme swings on either end. We could certainly play in Spokane as a 5 though.

* injuries are accounted for, I know Few doesn't like to show his cards but it might have done some good to talk up the level of aches and pains the players were experiencing. It's a different story when ESPN starts the recap with, 'a very beat up Gonzaga team tried to do one of the most difficult things in college basketball, beat a team 3 times in one year...'

CDC84
03-08-2010, 08:52 PM
6 or 7. I still think San Jose is possible too.

lothar98zag
03-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Thursday
New Orleans
Oklahoma City
Providence, RI
San Jose

Friday
Buffalo
Jacksonville
Milwaukee
Spokane

Pretty sure I know where GU isn't going to play next week...

(although...by the rule book GU could be seeded 1-10 and still get placed in Spokane.)

lothar98zag
03-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Personally I hope SMC gets as high (good) a seed as possible, but ultimately, I don' care what seed they get and how it compares to GU. They will be placed on the other half of the bracket and wouldn't be able to play GU until the final game, so their seed will have no bearing on where GU is placed.

NotoriousZ
03-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Personally I hope SMC gets as high (good) a seed as possible, but ultimately, I don' care what seed they get and how it compares to GU. They will be placed on the other half of the bracket and wouldn't be able to play GU until the final game, so their seed will have no bearing on where GU is placed.

That's good news, because we could be a 7 seed and they could be a 10, and if I have to look at Dellavadawhatever's friggin' mouth piece any more this year I'd have to shoot my television.

jim77
03-09-2010, 01:48 AM
To be honest, our resume, rpi, sos, and current standing warrants a 6-7 seed at best, imo. Considering our star player is hurting with an undisclosed injury(Bouldin), our 6th man is done for the season, and we just got blown out in the WCC Tourney, we don't deserve any higher. I'm just happy we'll most likely receive an at-large bid and make the Tourney for an 11th consecutive year.

That said, is there a chance we are now considered a bubble team? Are we guaranteed a spot in the Tournament? Our resume looks awfully similar to Georgia Tech, Florida, Wake Forest, etc, who are all considered bubble teams. I recently heard an interview with the UCLA Athletic Director(2010 NCAA Tourney Chair) saying they hope to give serious consideration to middle-of-the-pack teams in major conferences who have a resume worth of being in the Top-64.

Funny things happen in conference tourneys......Cincy is out.....memphis is a bubble.....illini is fading......wisconsin is our lone big win. There are plenty of bcs bubble teams with as many BIG wins as we have.......we aren't in till they announce our names....ST MARY'S is in.

Butler Guy
03-09-2010, 05:55 AM
8-9? Highly doubt that.

After last night, GU's efficiency margin sits at 54th. 8-9 is probably a reasonable expectation.

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-09-2010, 06:03 AM
Look, I think we win that game we get assured a 4. Losing closely would get us a six or five. But getting whomped SMC means anything can happen, especially with conf tourneys coming this week. I think it is impossible to guess which, but it won't be double digits and it will definitely not be a 4. Look we didn't do Gonzaga has to do for good seeds. We got the quality wins in the OOC, but you really can't afford more than one loss in conference to get a high seed.

cjm720
03-09-2010, 06:41 AM
I really don't want to face N. Iowa...loaded with seniors.

dpouley
03-09-2010, 07:21 AM
That's good news, because we could be a 7 seed and they could be a 10, and if I have to look at Dellavadawhatever's friggin' mouth piece any more this year I'd have to shoot my television.

+1

marczagfan
03-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Realistically I think we are a 6 seed, we were a solid 5 seed if we won with a shot at a 4. We have not been seeded well in the past and this may drop us to a 7, 8, or 9. One loss is not going to kill us. A lot of this depends on how other teams are going to do, but saying we dropped from a 5 seed to an 8 or 9 is a bit of a stretch.

If we are seeded as a 7 or 8, that sucks from the 1 or 2 seed in our region. Can you imagine being that 1 or 2 seed thinking you would have to play the zags in the 2nd round, a team ranked near the top 10 most of the year. Honestly with the loss last night, all the pressure for the tourney is off, which can lead to a big run. Look on the bright side, UNC lost their conference title game last year, and their star guard was hurt...they ended up just fine.

lothar98zag
03-09-2010, 12:21 PM
After last night, GU's efficiency margin sits at 54th. 8-9 is probably a reasonable expectation.
Good thing for GU this ranking is not the main one the committee uses.

lothar98zag
03-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Also, here is a list of teams to root against if you want GU to get the best possible seed:
(They are the non-auto bid teams currently given a 5-8 seed here - http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix_2010.htm)

Vanderbilt
Maryland
Georgetown
BYU
Butler
Texas A&M
Xavier
Texas
Richmond
Clemson
Missouri
Ok State
Florida St
Louisville
UTEP
Wake Forest
Cal
Marquette

Rbo
03-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Not sure how much credence to give this, but I just heard Steve Lavin tell Brock and Salk on KIRO Sports radio that even after the Saint Mary's loss, he sees Gonzaga getting a 5 or 6 seed. He also said they will most likely be placed in the West, possibly even in Spokane. He was on the NCAA selection committee for a number of years, so maybe he knows what he's talking about.

lothar98zag
03-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Lavin was on the committee? :confused:

Rbo
03-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Lavin was on the committee? :confused:

Maybe he said "closely connected" to the selection committee or something to that effect.

dim4sum
03-09-2010, 03:11 PM
If the Zags wind up in the Midwest bracket, they'll do OK. They seem to match up well against teams of goony thugs. The finesse teams, the preppy teams like Duke and St Mary's, are the teams that they can't handle too well.
Brains vs. brawn, with brains winning.

U Zig, I Zag
03-09-2010, 03:16 PM
If the Zags wind up in the Midwest bracket, they'll do OK. They seem to match up well against teams of goony thugs. The finesse teams, the preppy teams like Duke and St Mary's, are the teams that they can't handle too well.
Brains vs. brawn, with brains winning.

wait a minute, which one are we again?