PDA

View Full Version : Bouldin's back?

Therunner
03-08-2010, 05:49 PM
BZ mentioned in an earlier post that Bouldin was "hurting" and I presumed he was referring to his hurt fingers from earlier this year.

However, during every single timeout and/or FT, Matt has been holding his lower back and even massaging himself in this area throughout the first half.

I had no idea he was suffering from a lower back injury or soreness. This is the first year where we really could use the fiull 9 days to heal before the 1st Round of NCAA Tourney.

Therunner
03-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Bouldin refuses to run the fast break, laterally move against his defender, take it strong to the hoop, or jump for rebounds.

I don't care what anyone says, that is NOT a healthy Matt Bouldin on the court tonight.

Has anyone heard what happened to him?

ZagLawGrad
03-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Too many minutes over the season when he didn't need to be in at the end of certain games had to be part of it. Hope 9 days of rest makes a difference.

Once and Future Zag
03-08-2010, 07:05 PM
I don't care what anyone says, that is NOT a healthy Matt Bouldin on the court tonight.

That's what I've been saying. He's not saying anything but it's obvious he's beat to hell.

btzag
03-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Yes, I saw the back massaging on the sideline and even saw one play where he visibly grabbed it after a whistle/foul in the second half. Definitely playing hurt but you just have to hope he can heal up and rest up over the next week and a half or we are toast, especially with Arop out also.

CDC84
03-08-2010, 08:56 PM
He's not healthy. It's not just the back, but his fingers. He can't dribble, shoot or pass right now because of the hand injury. I have no idea how he's making it thru these games.

The good news is that it's 9-10 days until his next game.

lothar98zag
03-08-2010, 09:03 PM
One thing I've noticed over the past 4 years going to away games is that if any player is going to getting worked on by the trainer before a game or just before the 2nd half, it's going to be Matt. Usually he's getting stretched. Sometimes it's more. But when the game starts, I don't see a thing wrong with him. Whatever bumps, tightness, etc he's feeling - it doesn't affect his game - except it has the past few weeks. Not sure what all the issues are, but it ain't good.

Like others have said, I hope 10 days rest will help.

(this isn't why GU lost tonight)

Zag79
03-09-2010, 03:46 AM
One thing I've noticed over the past 4 years going to away games is that if any player is going to getting worked on by the trainer before a game or just before the 2nd half, it's going to be Matt. Usually he's getting stretched. Sometimes it's more. But when the game starts, I don't see a thing wrong with him. Whatever bumps, tightness, etc he's feeling - it doesn't affect his game - except it has the past few weeks. Not sure what all the issues are, but it ain't good.

Like others have said, I hope 10 days rest will help.

(this isn't why GU lost tonight)

i think it has alot to do with it. he couldnt keep up on defense, he really hurt us with allowing the SMC guards to penetrate and kick out. he isnt going to the hole, missing open threes, and is our go to guy. he was non existent in the second half. i sure hope he gets healthy, if not it could be a quick march. i have to say i was completely shocked by the outcome tonight.

GUinSTL
03-09-2010, 06:03 AM
this is good insight. i didn't catch MB massaging his back or anything, but it makes sense because i was calling him out last night for getting burned on D, and not going up for rebounds. it's safe to say that his ability to knock down his bread-and-butter lay-in has been hampered over the last couple games, and his handles are diminished. those fingers must be hurting him, because he's usually much stronger with the ball when splitting the double-team, or catching a ball in traffic.
i hope he take some to heal, and comes back healthy and fired up.
~B

ZagLawGrad
03-09-2010, 07:01 AM
Wonder how MB made the All Tournament team? Had to be sentimental voting on that one. It was not his shining moment, whatever the reason.

Zagnailler
03-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Back, hands, concussion, turf toe and tweeked ankles, the season has taken it's toll on our leader. Hopefully rest in the next week + will allow him to show his true skills in the big dance.

Ezag
03-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Something has to be wrong, that was the worst, most lack luster play I had ever seen from Bouldin outside the Duke game.

ZagMania
03-09-2010, 08:10 AM
This is what happens when every WCC teams gameplan is to physically beat the crap out of MB throughout the season. It didn't work most of the season but its kept accumulating into now possibly ruining the end of his senior season. This crap pisses me off so much.

Hopefully he can heal up quickly.

NontradZag
03-09-2010, 08:20 AM
I read another post somewhere on the world wide web this morning that said that Matty had the flu last night. Can anyone confirm?

Robzagnut
03-09-2010, 09:02 AM
I was listening to Dennis Patchin on the way home from work before the game. He said he knows that Matt is hurting and asked him about his hand. Matt said that it will never be the same.

This looks like a one and done team.

Matt is hurting.
Elias just isn't the same.
Stephen's got two torn finger nails on his shooting hand. Ever try and put touch on the ball without finger nails?
Manny is out.

That's 4 out of the top 5 players that aren't doing well.

With Matt's and Stephen's shooting hands all messed up, you could tell they were both trying to drive with limited success and aren't looking to shoot the 3. They aren't 3 point threats any more. Goodsen can't shoot the 3, so they're extremely limited from outside and St Marys exploited it.

It's a recipe for a one and done.

U Zig, I Zag
03-09-2010, 09:05 AM
I was listening to Dennis Patchin on the way home from work before the game. He said he knows that Matt is hurting and asked him about his hand. Matt said that it will never be the same.

Didn't catch the show. To what extend will it never be the same, was there more detail to it?

ZagLawGrad
03-09-2010, 09:07 AM

This looks like a one and done team.

Matt is hurting.
Stephen's got two torn finger nails on his shooting hand. Ever try and put touch on the ball without finger nails?
Manny is out.

That's 4 out of the top 5 players that aren't doing well.

With Matt's and Stephen's shooting hands all messed up, you could tell they were both trying to drive with limited success and aren't looking to shoot the 3. They aren't 3 point threats any more. Goodsen can't shoot the 3, so they're extremely limited from outside and St Marys exploited it.

It's a recipe for a one and done.

Your post won't sit well with some, but you may very well be right. This team's mental toughness and focus is a bigger concern to me right now than the physical issues. Not a good way to end the WCC season---basically dominated in all aspects of the game.

Need to be peaking right about now, not going backwards.

Vizagra
03-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Forgive me if this was answered before, but what exactly happened to Matt's hand? and his back for that matter?

Robzagnut
03-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Didn't catch the show. To what extend will it never be the same, was there more detail to it?

He didn't elaborate. Wish he did, becuase it would explain the way Matt has been playing the last two weeks. He's gone from a dead-eye shooter to hesitant. Relying on drives to the basket and forcing the issue rather than letting the game come to him.

He's just not the same.

Ikancagin
03-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Matt is hurting.
Manny is out.

Two words to fix it all

DUCK TAPE.

gamagin
03-09-2010, 02:18 PM
This is what happens when every WCC teams gameplan is to physically beat the crap out of MB throughout the season. It didn't work most of the season but its kept accumulating into now possibly ruining the end of his senior season. This crap pisses me off so much.
Hopefully he can heal up quickly.

If I were king, I'd abolish the WCC tourney game, or at least change the rules to make the league champion the auto bid winner. Of course, if the league did that, no one would go to the tourney. But the upside would be that no-chance and desparate-chance teams, who didn't make it in the season get a fresh chance at getting a bid. Ergo, basketball turns into an ugly game of hockey sans sticks, ice and skates.

If you can crack someone's rib, or cut his legs out from under him, it's worth giving up a shot or two. It always will be and it will always be an easy option the weaker your team.

gonwick
03-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Do those in the know think that Bouldin's hand and back issues will be healed in 9 days? The radio show comments from MB sound very cryptic. I always wonder about when and how teams make decisions to release injury information. I suppose it's particularly tricky right now, when the brackets haven't been put together and they will consider injuries when seeding. If Matt is truly out of action (for all practical purposes) that would be devastating. He's clearly willing to play through pain, but I agree that he just doesn't seem the same. Like many of you, I also noticed that he got a lot of trainer time in Vegas, with a lot of back stretching. Ugh. Manny, Matty, and Gray's fingertips/elbow. ESPN had an article about other teams with injury issues right now, but it didn't make me feel any better.
I agree with gamagin that it seems like LMU (and other teams in the WCC) made it their mission to beat Matty up night in and night out, particularly in the tourney. For some reason, the refs let it go. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive and a homer, though.
Yes, I used 4 different variations on his name. Top that.

jim77
03-10-2010, 12:55 AM
I've been whining about not setting screens and the main recipient of those screens should be Matt. The guy is not 100%, theres no way he can be because ST Mary's is not physically capable of stopping him.....but injuries sure can. I've personally delt with a bad back and I can tell you it is the worst kind of pain....and playing bb with it is insane. If there was a case to be made for the fellas being not ready mentally to play...having you're main guy at 50% WOULD DO IT. In fact it gets worse, I doubt Coach Few even had the option to sit Matt for 2 very good reasons: 1: Matt's goona play in a wheelchair if they let him..2. Can you imagine how bad it looks when GU sits their star player with a tournament spot on the line.....knowing they are in. (hopefully) It would look like we we're sand bagging to get a WCC team in....and tick off some who were close. Just a bad situation all-around. So we played him hurt against a pretty darn good team and the results are predictable.....like it or not....without Matt we ain't even close to same team. Here's to a restful and healing 10 days. GO ZAGS