PDA

View Full Version : Circle the Wagons, Everyone Step Up

BobZag
03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
With Mangisto out, Gray and Bouldin hurting, it's time for everyone from Mike Hart to Grant Gibbs to Kelly Olynyk to Will Foster to starters Elias and Rob to step up. Matt and Steven are tough and they'll come to play. Everyone else has to kick it up an extra notch.

Can they?
Will they?

We'll find out in a few hours.

gamagin
03-08-2010, 12:01 PM
SMC will smell blood.

Let's make it theirs instead of ours.

cjm720
03-08-2010, 01:10 PM
If our big 3 play well, we can beat anyone in the country.

If one is off, we'll need everyone to step up. I think Bol and Kelly will have to step up big time...and I would think GG would get a chance to prove himself again...I don't see Matt or Steven resting much even tho they really need it.

Therunner
03-08-2010, 01:12 PM
With the untimely loss of Manny, there time is NOW.

Manny led the team in rebounds the past two games, despite playing limited minutes(20 mpg). He also averaged double-digit rebounds based on relative minutes played. Did you notice how many scoring chances Manny single-handidly provided us last night by securing every 50-50 type rebound? I recall numerous occasions where Arop grabbed a rebound no one else on the court could get(the solo FT reb was a thing of beauty).

On the otherhand, if we look at the past 5 games, Harris has been averaging 3.6 rebs per game, while Sacre has been averaging just 3.4 rpg...

Quite frankly, they aren't getting it done on the glass at all. I'm sure the Coaches have informed them of this fact. They are our post players and need to play as such. We recognize they bring so many great things to the table and the intention of this post is not to rip apart their game. This team needs them more than ever to to crash the boards with tenacity, intensity, and hustle just as they did at the beginning of the year.

I hope they can rise to the challenge and rebound like their lives depend on it, b/c our best rebounder(& defender?) was just lost for the season.

cjm720
03-08-2010, 01:26 PM
While I cannot disagree with you in terms of their rebounding figures, I will point to the fact that 4 of the last 5 games have been blowouts and Harris and Sacre have seen less time on the floor, while Manny, in particular, and Bol and others have seen an increased role. On a per minute basis, Manny is by far our rebounding leader (I won't even bother with the math) and he will be missed. BUT the team can step up and it should start with Harris and Sacre, but the other starters and reserves will need to help out....especially since after this game, it's do or die.

maynard g krebs
03-08-2010, 01:34 PM
From the Few show, it sounds like Manny and Bol are close. I expect to see a huge emotional effort from Bol tonight, and in the NCAA tournament.

Therunner
03-08-2010, 01:38 PM
I just noticed BZ and I posted a "step it up" topic thread at the same time.

Mods, feel free to move this post to Bobzag's "Circle the Wagons" thread. Thanks!

BobZag
03-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Manny played 3 minutes vs SMC at Moraga.

Manny played 6 minutes vs SMC at Spokane.

Zags won both.

Therunner
03-08-2010, 04:51 PM

Zags won both.

True, yet SMC is a unique match-up. The Gaels seem to be bothered more by taller teams(especially at SF), than sheer athleticism. This is precisely why Kelly Olynyk logged his most minutes in those games and Manny his least. Also, players such as Elias and Sacre did a great job rebounding against the Gaels and haven't really had great rebounding performances/numbers since. Lastly, Arop was averaging just over 9 mins per game prior to our last meeting with St. Mary's and nearly 20 mins per game after. Coach Few seemed to be preparing his final rotation for the Tourney w/Manny being elected as the 6th or 7th off the bench.

I think we all agree the team sans Manny is capable of beating SMC in the WCC Championship. However, Manny provides another dimension in rebounding, athletisicm, hard-nosed hustle, and defense against the Wake Forest's, Duke's, Big-East type teams we'll see in the NCAA Tourney(and like we saw earlier in the year)

There is no denying Manny will be a great loss, but we can compensate for his guaranteed 7-8 rebs per game if our players are up for the challenge. We'll see how the boys respond tonight against a pretty good rebounding team in St. Mary's. I have faith in players such as Sacre, KO, GG, Kong, etc to replace Manny's fire, spark, and "want to" on the glass. After re-watching last night's game vs LMU, he was responsible for at least 9 second-chance pts on the offensive end(right before the half, off the missed FT, and a few tip backs as well)

Horned Frog
03-08-2010, 05:32 PM

Zags won both.

My heart rate slowed back to normal after this perfect, perspective post. Thanks, Bob!

bballbeachbum
03-08-2010, 08:13 PM
right here, come on now

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Pargo the Destroyer
03-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Someone replaced the wagon wheels with square blocks. And then the wagon burnt straight to the ground.

Stache
03-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Ahh... Errr... Never mind