PDA

View Full Version : Matt and Steven now vs Bol and Manny in 2 years

The509sfinest
03-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Who do u think will be better? Matt and Steven as they are right now or a more improved Kong and Arop in 2 years? I think the chemistry is similar between both pairs. And Matt is a senior right now and Steven is a junior right now, and in 2 years Bol will be a senior and Manny will be a Junior so its a fair comparison. I think i would take Manny and Bol in 2 years if they improve like i think they will. Manny is showing he can do it all right now and he can only get better. And Bols shooting is amazing and he can drive and His defense is getting better and he also can only get better in years to come. And please dont yell at me saying "oh why are you psting this now? Its to early to post anything like this! Your an idiot!" This is just a prediction ok. Im in no way saying Bol and Manny are better than Matt and Steven right now. So what are your thoughts?

webspinnre
03-08-2010, 10:26 AM
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, and other appropriate sayings. There's certainly the possibility, but I'll take what we've got now, and be patient about what's to come.

The509sfinest
03-08-2010, 04:35 PM
lol i thought this thread would get alot of opinions. guess not lol.

alldaye
03-08-2010, 05:50 PM
I would take Gray and Bouldin. I personally think Manny won't be as good as people on this board think, whereas I think Bol will surpass expectations. But, when Matt and Steven both play above average games we are so tough to beat, plus I think Matt and Steven are both better passers

OZZY
03-08-2010, 06:08 PM
I think the main difference at this stage is Basketball IQ, Manny may be a better rebounder and have great energy, but the current tamdem combine IQ, toughness and coolness...

But hey, If Bol gets his stroke working overtime then who knows they may end up blowing the doors off!

Bombs over Zaghdad
03-08-2010, 08:03 PM
I think the main difference at this stage is Basketball IQ, Manny may be a better rebounder and have great energy, but the current tamdem combine IQ, toughness and coolness...

But hey, If Bol gets his stroke working overtime then who knows they may end up blowing the doors off!

I agree. I think that manny and KO may not have the IQ that Gray and Bouldin do, but I think that they may prove to be better shooters, and have a little bit more athleticism combined. I think that Kong will be a lights out shooter in the future with the likes of Ammo, Dickau, and steppe.

Zagatak
03-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Bol is a pure, natural basketball player. He is a prolific scorer that can scpre any way he wants. Add in Manny's toughness, rebounding fierceness, and scoring abilities.... you have quiet a duo in the future...

MickMick
03-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Give any recruit four years to develop in this program and you will eventually get a guy that we all will hate to see go.

There will come a time when we are wondering out loud how we can possibly replace Arop and Kong. Like we did with Stepp, Dickau, Ammo, Ravio, Pargo, etc., etc., etc.

Zags simply pass the banner along to the next generation. Haven't we learned this by now?

BlueVoodoo07
03-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I hope so, but go back and look at Matty and Gray there freshman years...Arop and Kong got along way to go.

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Manny has 3 more years, Bol has 2. Bol has a shorter time frame to get where Manny is aggresively, with the boards, on D, hustle, etc. Manny has time to pick up his offense game, settle into being a better shooter, taking his time and exploiting his defender's weakenesses. I am a little Bol-Bummed at the moment. He shows moments of greatness but he is so timid...

I think the Matt/Gray connection is a stronger one. Manny will be special by his Senior year but Bol will have gone by then.

Zagatak
03-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Manny has 3 more years, Bol has 2. Bol has a shorter time frame to get where Manny is aggresively, with the boards, on D, hustle, etc. Manny has time to pick up his offense game, settle into being a better shooter, taking his time and exploiting his defender's weakenesses. I am a little Bol-Bummed at the moment. He shows moments of greatness but he is so timid...

I think the Matt/Gray connection is a stronger one. Manny will be special by his Senior year but Bol will have gone by then.

Arop will be a junior with Kong, Meech, and Sacre as seniors. KO will be big time for our program in future years. We will have our 2011 Freshman class coming in.... Dranginis (Hopefully G Bell, Wiltjer, Nick Johnson?). O wait, and of course you can't forget Sam Dower! I guess the man's a stud!

Wow we will be ROCK SOLID when that time comes.

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-08-2010, 10:43 PM

First off, I actually read you entire post and thought about it before responding. I appreciate the opportunity to savor the present AND look to the future at the same time. Anyway...
I think this boils down to the old athleticism vs skill/basketball IQ. Bouldin has real smarts, this was apparent every year he has played. Gray is perhaps not as savvy, but he is a highly skilled defender with a great touch from 10-25 feet. Again, this was apparent when he was a freshman (see vs Davidson).
Bol and Manny are VERY raw. Both are average to good jump shooters (Bol is streaky and could be great if he learns to shoot from long range off the bounce). Both have the length to be great on D, but so far only Manny has capitalized on this. As a duo, they might have a bigger upside to Bouldin/Grey. They probably have more NBA potential (but who cares right?) But I don't predict either will top Bouldin's career performance. Physically they are competitive with Bouldin/Gray. Mentally they have a long way to go.

lothar98zag
03-08-2010, 11:07 PM
The 4 of them will never again play together for GU.

WMS2GUBULLDOG
03-09-2010, 12:38 AM
I can never seen manny or kong ever running the point. Also, matty and steve have unbeatable chemistry, which kong and manny do not. The real tandem in future years will be KO and Sam. Manny and Bol are an interesting combo, but while Manny will reach Gray levels, Bol will never.

RockandRollJames
03-09-2010, 12:41 AM
I can never seen manny or kong ever running the point. Also, matty and steve have unbeatable chemistry, which kong and manny do not. The real tandem in future years will be KO and Sam. Manny and Bol are an interesting combo, but while Manny will reach Gray levels, Bol will never.

Really? KO and Sam? Really?

U Zig, I Zag
03-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Arop will be a junior with Kong, Meech, and Sacre as seniors. KO will be big time for our program in future years. We will have our 2011 Freshman class coming in.... Dranginis (Hopefully G Bell, Wiltjer, Nick Johnson?). O wait, and of course you can't forget Sam Dower! I guess the man's a stud!

Wow we will be ROCK SOLID when that time comes.

Looking forward to it, not saying that we won't be good - but I am not sure on the MB/SG v Manny/Bol comparisons.

I am interested to see how Steven rises up next year... It will be HIS team, no doubt about it. I see him excelling.

U Zig, I Zag
03-09-2010, 07:51 AM
First off, I actually read you entire post and thought about it before responding. I appreciate the opportunity to savor the present AND look to the future at the same time. Anyway...
I think this boils down to the old athleticism vs skill/basketball IQ. Bouldin has real smarts, this was apparent every year he has played. Gray is perhaps not as savvy, but he is a highly skilled defender with a great touch from 10-25 feet. Again, this was apparent when he was a freshman (see vs Davidson).
Bol and Manny are VERY raw. Both are average to good jump shooters (Bol is streaky and could be great if he learns to shoot from long range off the bounce). Both have the length to be great on D, but so far only Manny has capitalized on this. As a duo, they might have a bigger upside to Bouldin/Grey. They probably have more NBA potential (but who cares right?) But I don't predict either will top Bouldin's career performance. Physically they are competitive with Bouldin/Gray. Mentally they have a long way to go.

Agreed.

I think on the original posters' question, for me, Matt and Gray are just special. I am probably too sentimental anyway... I think of those two and I think of the pic from Maui where they are hoisting up the trophy...
:o

ZagLawGrad
03-09-2010, 08:18 AM
I just haven't seen enough from either MA or BK to predict what they will be like in 2 years, or whethter they are able to carry the torch in the way the program has been moving the past 10 years. Some good upside with both, but let's see them play some full games first.

SpokastSports
03-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Manny has the whole package people. For a wing, a great defender, and an amazing talent on the boards; to ask for his offensive game to improve his shooting as if it's a detriment when he shoots %50 FGs and 47% behind the arc is a little off. Of course he could use some work at the line.