PDA

View Full Version : Time to Eat Some Crow

McZag
03-08-2010, 06:08 AM
My sincere apologies to Mr. Gray.

Following the Zags win against WSU On Dec 2, 2009, I shortsightedly scolded Mr. Gray on this board for his lack of focus on the offensive end. I have never doubted his defensive abilites but for some reason I expected much more from him that night.

I was wrong.

Mr. Gray is the toughest guard we have had since Blake Stepp.

Case in point. last night. Two of our guards were completely taken out of the game against LMU. Matt struggled early while Meech struggled throughout. Mr. Gray nearly single-handedly won that game for us. Harris, Arop and Kong contributed tremendously but without Mr. Gray we are all sitting on our hands until Selection Sunday.

My sincere congrats and thanks to Mr. Gray for a truly heroic effort. I will not doubt thee again.

seasontixholder
03-08-2010, 06:15 AM
Meech did not struggle throughout. As usual, he stifled whom he was guarding, and was one of the main early scorers. Hit some nice FTs too. The team as a whole stopped the easy guard penetration that existed in the two earlier games and DG was one of the main reasons. If only the rebounding had been there, this would have been a laugher.

jazzdelmar
03-08-2010, 06:23 AM
meech didnt struggle, thats how he always plays.....sigh

ZagLawGrad
03-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Crow tastes good in the right spirit. Good post McZag.

The509sfinest
03-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Haha and to think i thought Bol should replace Steven earileir this season. I was so foolish saying that lol. Bol is clearly not as good as Steven at this time lol. But i think Potential talent is the same but i think maybe Bols potential is a little higher. But still saying Steven is much much better than Bol at this point of time.

EngineerZag
03-08-2010, 07:56 AM
"Tough as nails" ... nice pun since Steven was playing through two bent fingernails and a messed up elbow :)

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2010, 08:00 AM
meech didnt struggle, thats how he always plays.....sigh

Meech struggles at times but as the year has gone on I am more and more comfortable with him. Him and Rob seem to have a good play going where Meech drops down on the weak side and Rob drops it over whomever is guarding him. The shots didn't go down last night, but they have in the past and will in the future.

I am far more comfortable with Meech handling the ball then I used to be.

I still think Steven is aloof, not cocky and not unmotivated - but he is just a big, athletically gifted, fun loving guy. He falls hard on his shooting side, minutes later he drains a three and backpedals down the court smiling and chewing on his mouth guard. Whatever works, I say.

gamagin
03-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Meech did not struggle throughout. As usual, he stifled whom he was guarding, and was one of the main early scorers. Hit some nice FTs too. The team as a whole stopped the easy guard penetration that existed in the two earlier games and DG was one of the main reasons. If only the rebounding had been there, this would have been a laugher.

It doesn't bother me that some don't see what Meech IS doing, or trying to do, in a game like last night.

But I think many of you are stuck with the notion that this guy needs to sit and are stuck in your LaZBoys, unable to rethink things.

What I saw was a guy raising hell with their best, hassling them and, yes, was sometimes in and sometimes out of control. But overall, very effective, as noted. Plus he got those all-important f.t.'s when we needed them, almost desparately. You all might also note that it was Meech who was the main man frustrating them while they, for the most part, hacked and frustrated all of our guys the entire game, or until they finally drew enough fouls to get pitched. He was our designated frustrator in this ugly scrum.

Steven was our fullback and he carried the ball with great honor. However, he came away battered. So did Manny, our star rebounder in the first half (so was Meech, btw). Meech, meanwhile, came away looking nothing like he should have looked after his WWF bout. Which is to say, unruffled and unmarked. So credit, please, where its due.

LynetteG
03-08-2010, 08:16 AM
I'm going out on a limb here and saying it's the dreads. That's when it started.

I noticed that too! KEEP THE DREADS STEVEN!

LynetteG
03-08-2010, 08:16 AM
"Tough as nails" ... nice pun since Steven was playing through two bent fingernails and a messed up elbow :)

I guess he ripped two of them off! Check the zagnative day after media thread.

ZagLawGrad
03-08-2010, 08:20 AM
I'll stick with Meech over any one else starting in his place. Too many fans focus on scoring as the "tell all". Meech is the toughest guy on this team pound for pound, plain and simple. He never stops moving and harassing the opponent.

Coach Few has Meech in the game for lots of reasons---he surely is not dumb, blind and stupid when it comes to Meech. And we'll be in the Dance again because of the coach's decisions. Turn this team over to certain fans = recipe for disaster.

Ezag
03-08-2010, 08:25 AM
I gone from wondering what happened to Gray to now thinking he is really the key to us winning and last night he was incredible. Surviving that fall was equally incredible. Next year with Harris, Gray, Arop, Sacre, Goodson we will be fine

The509sfinest
03-08-2010, 08:28 AM
I'll stick with Meech over any one else starting in his place. Too many fans focus on scoring as the "tell all". Meech is the toughest guy on this team pound for pound, plain and simple. He never stops moving and harassing the opponent.

Coach Few has Meech in the game for lots of reasons---he surely is not dumb, blind and stupid when it comes to Meech. And we'll be in the Dance again because of the coach's decisions. Turn this team over to certain fans = recipe for disaster.

Exactly :) this is not the same team when Ammo was around. Their Philophsy (sorry if i spelt that wrong lol) was score first, defense second. While the 09-10 are defense first, scoring second. Much different team. It just seems like some people think defense is not as important as scoring. Its just as important people!

Ziggy
03-08-2010, 09:21 AM
I noticed that too! KEEP THE DREADS STEVEN!

Think of Sampson!!!!!!!!!!!!

TexasZagFan
03-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Think of Sampson!!!!!!!!!!!!

IIRC, Ralph Sampson never wore dreads in college. ;)

jim77
03-08-2010, 10:22 AM

YUP.